Reasons to be cheerful...

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

natty
Known user

Reasons to be cheerful...

Post by natty »

As everything seems to be a little foul tempered round here of late I thought I'd ask everyone if they'd got any new music recently which has pushed their buttons... just to cheer things up, like...

I got the latest Psysex album 'Come in Peace' the other day and it's bloody fantastic. It's psytrance, like, but it's really all over the place. They use electro style, funky breaks, growling sub-bass as well the usual trance ingredients and make a really rocking, innovative take on a tired and much maligned (usually deservedly) genre. It also had me dancing round the living room :D Yeah, I need to get out a bit more at the moment.

So what music has been doing it for everyone else of late?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Hey Natty, its not very obscure or unusal but Johny Cash's American recordings four is really tickling my fancy at the moment.

I've read some good things about the new Broken Social Scene album, but havn't got round to buying it yet, - has anyone heard it? Can they recommend??
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

Alright time to see my post go up in flames!!!!! Why, because of late I have been listening to , drumroll please, the libertines, yeah yeah say what you want, but they are racket, and their is sooooo much drama going on in the band its total entertainment.

Besides that I am still listening to the remixs from Primal Screams Dirty Hits, there, I redeemed myself a bit.

xxxshonnxxx
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Johnny Cash's recording of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" is one of the best things I heard in the last year. I'm not into the original, can't stand all that angst, but the way Johnny Cash does it almost has me in tears every time I hear it. It's beautiful.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ok, check this out. Pluramon- Dreams Top Rock w/Julee Cruise on vocals. Very My Bloody Valentine Loveless-esque. The problem would be finding someone who carries this. I bought mine at http://www.neptunerecords.com.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

ROYAL TRUX - The USA Vs. 1 1974 El Dorado Sedan
THE ROYAL TRUMP BROS. - Hola Kola
JUNIOR WELLS - Hoodoo Man Blues
MISSY ELLIOT - This Is Not A Test
MOTORHEAD - No Sleep Til Hammersmith :twisted:
Snugglebuster
Known user

Post by Snugglebuster »

lately i been bumping alot of metal.

Rhapsody, Blind Guardian..

very triumphant, epic power metal! big sound.

makes you wanna ride into battle chanting the chorus' raising a fist up.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Snow Patrol's Final Straw has lit my lamps this year. Critics loved it too, but not enough people went out and bought it.

I've got the Broken Social Scene album, but it's a bit Godspeed-lite for me, and they were very disappointing when I saw them at the ICA.

But album of the year? Hail to the Thief. No question

And Radiohead's second night at Earl's Court was utterly spellbinding. The best gig (of about 300) I've ever been to.
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

been listening to the rapture's album echoes an awful lot and i reckon it's a goody.
also, got the 5.30 (remember them?) album off of ebay recently. it's a lost classic if you ask me (mind you, what the fuck do i know).
CinnamonBoy
Known user

Post by CinnamonBoy »

John Coltrane is a very good reason to be cheerful if you ask me...
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Helm! Helm! How the devil are you? Fancy doing me a copy of the 5:30 record? :D
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Don't fight it. OutKast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is well frosty.
jamesj1986
Known user

Post by jamesj1986 »

I've been listening to 'Music by Ry Cooder' at the moment, a collection of music he's composed for films, and various other things.

Anyway, I really like it, which is surprising 'cause it's a compilation.
spacedudesteve
Known user

Post by spacedudesteve »

The version of Hurt by Cash is truly amazing, very moving - and so is the video.

The 22 20's, Interpol, The Strokes, Elbow and Kings of Leon are also been on my cd player condstantly.

Also I'm getting into Mogwai - Come On Die Young and Happy Songs For Happy People are very good.

Anyone seen them live?
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

awwwwwww MOGWAI, yes I saw them play live in San Diego a few months ago. Absolutely brilliant. If you get a chance steve, find the e.p. "My Father My King", it is a 20 minute epic of a song.

xxxshonnxxx
numinous_42
New user

yeap

Post by numinous_42 »

Been listening to The Cap Empire's debut album... nothing short of brilliant, has has a mix of reggae, jazz, ska etc etc with hip-hop-influenced lyrics... doesnt sound as if it should work, but trust me it does. 'hello' is the track being flogged on radio atm.
jason_godman
Known user

Post by jason_godman »

a beautiful noise wrote:Alright time to see my post go up in flames!!!!! Why, because of late I have been listening to , drumroll please, the libertines, yeah yeah say what you want, but they are racket, and their is sooooo much drama going on in the band its total entertainment.

Besides that I am still listening to the remixs from Primal Screams Dirty Hits, there, I redeemed myself a bit.

xxxshonnxxx
I'm completely in love with the libertines. I adore them. went to see them on wednesday. bloody marvelous
Juzba
Known user

Post by Juzba »

Been a while again...

Here goes:

Prefuse 73 - One word extinguisher [Warp records] : (absolutely stunning "avantgarde hip-hop". one scott herren, who with this album is redefining the genre)

Amen Andrews 12" - Vol 1-5 [Rephlex] : Fantastic Jungle project by Luke Vibert (aka. Plug, Wagon Christ, Kerrier District). Best jungle records I've heard in 3 years.

Christ - Metamorphic Reproduction Miracle [Benbecula]: Hypnotizing modern psychedelia. Fans of Boards Of Canada will absolutely love this record. Possibly THE album of the year.

Ceephax Acid Crew - Exidy Tours [Firstcask] : Little brother of Squarepusher. Surpasses his big brother in every way. Melodic, playful and surreal.

British Sea Power - The decline of british sea power [Rough Trade] - A nice "rock" album, a little classic. Saw them as support for the Spiritualized Eden gig. Brilliant name for a band too

Broadcast - Haha sound [warprecords] : Sounds a lot like stereolab, but they deserve some credit of theit own as well. A nicely packaged album (vinyl), that takes a couple of listens to get into (even for a fan of avantgarde like me). Well worth the effort.

Rereleases:

The Stax/Volt Singles 59-68 9 CD box:
Need I say anything? Absolutely fucking ace. The best collection ever, every househould should have one. The influence of these track on Jason is quite obvious.

An anthology of noise and electronic music vol 2 [Sub Rosa] :

A fantastic 2 CD collection including bits and pieces from the history of electronic music. Includes Vladimir Ussachevsky, Luc Ferrari, Autechre, Captain Beefheart (a bit of a stunner really) to name a few. comes with a nice booklet, exploring the background of these tracks.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (180g vinyl) , no words needed.

If this reads out like a record store commercial, then it's only cos these records are so fucking good... :)

Thank you for your time.

19 days in the army, and then I am reborn.
sydbarrettoverdrive
Known user

Post by sydbarrettoverdrive »

most recently;

the unicorns - who will cut our hair when we're gone..

i don't recall an album making me smile so many times that my cheeks hurt & i have to double-check the mirror to see if anythings wrong...

a bunch of other stuff.
man
Known user

Post by man »

BzaInSpace wrote:ROYAL TRUX - The USA Vs. 1 1974 El Dorado Sedan
THE ROYAL TRUMP BROS. - Hola Kola
JUNIOR WELLS - Hoodoo Man Blues
MISSY ELLIOT - This Is Not A Test
MOTORHEAD - No Sleep Til Hammersmith :twisted:

bzainspace! that's my favorite trux song, in fact it's the only one i really know well but what an epic.. there just aren't too many things like that around. 'tippy-toe-toe-tippy-tippy-toe.. what about meeee' lines are awesome at the end. amazing tune

and motorhead are f*cking brilliant! i have no remorse, the song 'motorhead' boils the blood like few others.. review here

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 320r1ac48z

listening to a colleague's minus 5 - down with wilco disk at this moment

chrimbo period spins:
talking heads - remain in light
george harrison - all things must pass
carl and the passions - so tough
Iva Bittová - don't know the name but i think it's recent
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

man wrote: carl and the passions - so tough
This is indeed a tough one. I always saw it as a bit of a disappointment when compared to the record that immediately followed it (a personal favorite), but it's definitely among the more shizophrenic 70s BB albums. I like the Blondie Chaplin/Ricky Fataar songs even though very few people do, but on this record Dennis's songs don't work, and one of Brian's isn't spectacular either (Mess of Help). Still pretty entertaining for summer road-trips.

Speaking of half-great albums revisited: Van Morrison's Beautiful Vision. I'll be damned if it didn't just occur to me that parts of this sound an awful lot like Pure Phase!