Linking to the old message board

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Add the old-board Search mechanism to a sticky?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:08 pm

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 5

twentysixdollars
Known user

Linking to the old message board

Post by twentysixdollars »

Hi there. I'm posting a quick five-day poll here (in music, althought it should probably be in "Other") about whether you all think it's reasonable or necessary to post a link to the search feature on the old message board ( http://www.spiritualized.com/message/search.php ) in a second, FAQ-style sticky. The reason being that many new members are apt to show up and ask the same sorts of questions we get asked an awful lot: such as "What classical piece is LAGWAFIS derived from?" and "What's Sonic doing now?". I don't think anyone minds answering but it would be easy if they wanted to go search for themselves, and as Runcible has said a few times the old message board is a huge depository of information and discussion that shouldn't go to waste if there are interested parties.

So: Should I do it? Post, and use the poll above.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

...or "is 'data-rape' a good name for a flexi-single"?
twentysixdollars
Known user

So, tell me, Will. Why did you delete all your posts?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I had to post, becuase my preferred option wasn't on the poll. I definately think there should be a link to the old message board on the site and the old search, - there's a hell of a lot of content on there, but I don't think it should necessairily be a sticky . I think they get in the way a bit and make it less obvious if there's a new post or not. So can we get the links added to the overall spiritualized site? After all we are led to expect a site update soon. - [Monsiour you are really spoiling us with all this excellent content...]

Can anyone post a sticky? I dare someone to post one about Written in Sand on the Other board.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

egregiousness
twentysixdollars
Known user

clewsr wrote:I had to post, becuase my preferred option wasn't on the poll. I definately think there should be a link to the old message board on the site and the old search, - there's a hell of a lot of content on there, but I don't think it should necessairily be a sticky . I think they get in the way a bit and make it less obvious if there's a new post or not. So can we get the links added to the overall spiritualized site? After all we are led to expect a site update soon. - [Monsiour you are really spoiling us with all this excellent content...]

Can anyone post a sticky? I dare someone to post one about Written in Sand on the Other board.

Currently the tally is running 50/50. I am also considering adding these FAQs to the current Rules sticky. If you agree with this click 'No', since I think we'd all agree the link has to go somewhere.

I should say, though, that one of the frequently asked questions I'll have to adress is the misconception that we moderators have something or anything to do with Sanctuary or Spiritualized or the design crew that builds the site. We are as in the dark as anyone and we are neither paid nor informed. I am not even sure who 'juliette' is and why she knows when or if the page is going to be updated. Other questions include things like "Does Jason read this board?" and "Can I get in touch with Jason?". Right now I'm leaning towards simply adding it to the extant message.

I note all this as a roundabout way of saying that we mods have no say in how the general website is designed. Stickies and deletions are about all we're capable of.

I agree about stickies being rather obtrusive which is why I'd like to limit them. Indeed only mods of a forum can post them (I can't post one in "Gigs" or "Other") and generally they have to be locked to prevent posts in them from buggering up the 'latest posts' indicator.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Well the poll has ended and the sticky is there. Let me know what you think.