AG Number 13 in NME's albums of the year.

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

clewsr
Known user

AG Number 13 in NME's albums of the year.

Post by clewsr »

Thats it really. About where I would have expected it to come I guess. Out of interest can anyone remember where LICD came?
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

It came 2nd in 2001, didn't it? Behind The Strokes, who of course released the greatest album ever made that year :roll:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The NME's poll is entirely dictated by fashion.

As usual, there are fifty bands around at the moment and these are the best...

Perhaps Spaceman's reluctance to whore himself means we'll never see him grab the 'number one album' spot... like anyone cares.

Who else is on the list?

The winners will undoubtedly be the band most willing to have stories written about them and their pictures taken.

Maybe I read slower when I was a boy but i'm convinced NME used to be a good read... now its so fucking superficial... even the album reviews are shit.

I remember 'Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space' came second in 1997.... to 'Ok Computer'. :wink:

That might be the last time it was semi-entertaining... the same issue had a good article with Pierce chatting with Bobby Gillespie.... Spaceman disappears for a while... they listen to 'Born To Be With You'... Kate takes them to dinner....

NME is a Pimp for THE MAN.

And Libertines are fucking BAD
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I haven't read NME in anger for years, so I can't say what its like these days. The concenus seems to be that it pretty poor though. Perhaps it always was. They were always kinown for building em up and knocking em down again.

Ladies in Gents did in fact come as a number one though in 1997. And they have been the firmest advocates of spiritualized right from the start than any other UK press that I can recall, so they deserve praise for that.

Also I'd hazard a guess, which may be entirely wrong, that AG wont come much higher in any of the other albums of the year polls. [Apart from polls on this site, of course!] - I actaully thought CW1 might get a place, but I suppose they might aviod it as not a 'proper' album release. Oh and Elephant came in at number one.