help w/ gospel influences

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ChoiceOfMilk
New user

help w/ gospel influences

Post by ChoiceOfMilk »

i enjoyed the gospel tunes being played prior to the irving plaza shows, and i was wondering if anyone could help with names of some of the artists that jason enjoys/cited as influences.

thanks in advance!
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Both Jason and Pete have cited the Staple Singers as a pretty big inspiration as far as anything gospel goes. They're pretty much the yardstick by which much gospel music is judged, as far as I know. They also recorded the best known version of "May the Circle be Unbroken"
ChoiceOfMilk
New user

Post by ChoiceOfMilk »

thanks for the info - im checking them out as i type.
also, prior to the gig, an excellent version of "oh happy day" was being played, any leads on that one?
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

natty wrote:Both Jason and Pete have cited the Staple Singers as a pretty big inspiration as far as anything gospel goes. They're pretty much the yardstick by which much gospel music is judged, as far as I know. They also recorded the best known version of "May the Circle be Unbroken"
Whereas I'd imagine that the most famous version is either the Carter Family one (or the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band one, featuring Maybelle Carter) the Staples version is definitely the source from which Jason lifted his version - including reverbed Fender guitar and similar harmonies. It's almost identical. If I remember correctly even the key was the same (F).

The Staples definitely represent a huge influence on Jason's sound. Other key gospel touchstones are all pretty famous - Edwin Hawkins (writer of "Oh Happy Day" - wonderful records he had), Aretha Franklin (see her Amazing Grace LP), and Ray Charles.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I'll take your word for it $26, I can't claim to be any authority on Gospel music, whereas you seem to have a pretty encyclopaedic knowledge of most of the music discussed here.

Can't help but find your tone somewhat smug and superior though sometimes... I apologise, however if it's not intended to be.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

natty wrote:I'll take your word for it $26, I can't claim to be any authority on Gospel music, whereas you seem to have a pretty encyclopaedic knowledge of most of the music discussed here.

Can't help but find your tone somewhat smug and superior though sometimes... I apologise, however if it's not intended to be.
Sorry about that. I certainly don't intend to sound that way unless I'm being attacked which is fairly often. :oops: But I certainly wouldn't be smug about your knowledge of the Staples, which is pretty thorough and their importance is certainly central. I was just adding some other, more widely known influences that I hear in Jason's records and that he's acknowledged. My familiarity with this stuff can hardly be called encyclopaedic - it's just casual acquaintance. In terms of Spacemen and Spiritualized stuff, you, Runcible, Spzretent, the Ians, and many others have all got me beat by yards and yards.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

No offence taken then mate! :D
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I'm sorry to say, but $26 is correct in saying that it is Edwin Hawkins who wrote the original score. Both versions are good, just different ...