96 (and counting) unreleased Aphex Twin/AFX tracks

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

mc
Known user

96 (and counting) unreleased Aphex Twin/AFX tracks

Post by mc »

Not sure if anyone here is a fan, but an anonymous Soundcloud account is being regularly updated with mountains of (allegedly) unreleased Aphex Twin/AFX tracks. Word on the street is that they're legitimate, too. The ten or so tracks I've listened to so far are all magnificent. If it isn't RDJ, it's a pretty damn fine impersonator. This treasure trove of goodies is going to take ages to explore. And only a few days after the release of Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments Pt. 2, as well! These are heady times for Aphex fans... :D

https://soundcloud.com/user48736353001/tracks
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: 96 (and counting) unreleased Aphex Twin/AFX tracks

Post by BzaInSpace »

Wow!

Thanks for this...
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

By the time I saw the words 'Red Calx' I was believing.

I was just saying to someone earlier today that I think there's gonna be a shitload of Aphex stuff coming out now...
O P 8
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I'm close to speechless now. The sheer quantity, but most of all QUALITY of this unprecedented giveaway has left me stunned. If you doubt it or are just not sure, listen to this track as an example of what is being offered for gratis:

https://soundcloud.com/user48736353001/28-organ
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

Cheers for the link, working my way through this, some unbelievably good stuff. That Japan track is awesome
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

These tracks are fantastic. I thought Syro was pretty dull, I have to say. I would have loved to have had an album more like this.

Anyone else think he is trolling by putting the bland stuff out commercially and promoting it hard, and then leaking the better material for free on the internet?

What also blows my mind is how many times the 100 or so tracks have been listened to, considering they've only been up for a few days.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Have any of these been ripped and shared anywhere?

What i've listened to so far is better than anything on Syro, which I thought was incredibly dull.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

sunray wrote:Have any of these been ripped and shared anywhere?

What i've listened to so far is better than anything on Syro, which I thought was incredibly dull.
Quite a few kind folk on the "We Are The Music Makers" forum have ripped and shared them; take a look through the last few pages of this for the latest (it keeps updating!) link.

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/85636-rich ... s/page-216
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

sunray wrote:Have any of these been ripped and shared anywhere?

I was also slightly disappointed in Syro; it's enjoyable enough, but I don't have much urge to put it on. The new EP - Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments Pt. 2 - is much more enjoyable I think. But these unreleased tracks trump everything. I reckon I've listened to about 35-40% of them so far, and the vast majority is A+ Aphex material. He always claimed to be sitting on a huge gold mine of unreleased material; now we know it's true :)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

So good. Really been enjoying them thoroughly. Was with a mate / client yesterday that knows him and the word out is this is just his stash (and tonnes more) that he listens to personally at home.

M
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Anyone have a download link for all of the tracks zipped up together?
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Found this recent link on the WATMM forum, can't vouch for it though: https://kickass.so/aphex-twin-user48736 ... 59996.html
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Beautiful - thanks MC for answering my next question..

I often question Richard D. James' status as a musical genius - especially compared to the opinions of his rabid fanbase (no ironic emoticon sorry) but when he's on it, like on the few tracks I've listened to out of the 1.4GB stash here, then I'm a believer.

I still dig SYRO, but I have to say it's pretty convential for AFX, like a short compedium of pop-tones/tunes with beautiful yet restrained production. Aphex's Amazing Grace then?
O P 8
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

See the thing is, I love Amazing Grace. I listened to it loads when it came out and I would likely still pick it over maybe two of the other Spz albums. ...Richie Lee into Cheapster into Rated X? Cannae whack it.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. Who's started downloading the Afx stuff? Where do you even begin with that? Each new track I click on seems more exciting than the last. Surely an artist releasing 100 songs in one go has to be a new innovation in the release of music in the digital era?
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I ripped them one-by-one from Soundcloud using a web-brower extension as they were posted, because I'm obsessive like that. I might well take advantage of the zipped download though, as loads of them have been upgraded to 320k by RDJ and made "properly" downloadable :)

There is so much wonderfulness here it's hard to take in, but early favourites are Organ, Red Calx, Chink 101, Make A Baby, Slo Bird Whistle, Fresher + Cleaner... hell, most of them really!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I've been listening to this archive obsessively for the best part of a week. I simply can't comment on what I think is good/bad/indifferent because I am struggling to cope with the sheer volume of material suddenly available. I simply am not able to react to so much quality music at one go. I suspect it will take me weeks to get my head around all of these new tunes. Brilliant thing to do though, release nothing for years, sell and album and an e.p. in the course of about 4 months, and then make 8-10 LPs worth of work available for free on the internet. Massive two fingers to the industry. This is one of the biggest drive-by trolling events I can think of. Fair play to the man......
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

mc wrote:I ripped them one-by-one from Soundcloud using a web-brower extension as they were posted, because I'm obsessive like that. I might well take advantage of the zipped download though, as loads of them have been upgraded to 320k by RDJ and made "properly" downloadable :)

There is so much wonderfulness here it's hard to take in, but early favourites are Organ, Red Calx, Chink 101, Make A Baby, Slo Bird Whistle, Fresher + Cleaner... hell, most of them really!
mc, if it was you that tirelessly ripped all these songs and created that amazing torrent download then I can't thank you enough - cheers! As Olan says above, it's way too much to digest for me. I'll need months...

But yeah, hats off, especially after a good decade plus of inactivity (apart from the odd pseudonymous release) to release all that. More artists should kick out the jams like this.

If Spiritualized were to compile something like this I'd die a happy fella I can tell you... 8)
heisenberg wrote:See the thing is, I love Amazing Grace. I listened to it loads when it came out and I would likely still pick it over maybe two of the other Spz albums. ...Richie Lee into Cheapster into Rated X? Cannae whack it.
Absolutely.... I think it's unfairly maligned down the years. I recall my total excitement so many years ago hearing on the old blue page version of this site that it had been leaked, leaving Soulseek on all night, with auto dial-up on, and in the morning having a NEW SPIRITUALIZED ALBUM!!!... in probably 192 kbps format, but even so, that opening trio of songs lit it up for me. 'The Power and The Glory'? Perfect. :D
O P 8
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

BzaInSpace wrote:
mc, if it was you that tirelessly ripped all these songs and created that amazing torrent download then I can't thank you enough - cheers! As Olan says above, it's way too much to digest for me. I'll need months...
No, it wasn't me - can't take the credit! I've got the slowest broadband in the universe, so re-uploading them wasn't an option. I had to use my entire month's tethering allowance on my mobile phone to download them in the first place :) But now that I know RDJ has made 320kbps copies available, my 128 kbps (the original soundcloud quality) copies are looking a little sad :?
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Just seen on the nice n sleazy's website that Afx is going to be there 20:00-00:00 on Sunday 8th Feb.
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

mc wrote:Found this recent link on the WATMM forum, can't vouch for it though: https://kickass.so/aphex-twin-user48736 ... 59996.html
Brilliant, cheers for that, I'll abort my 'one by one' downloading of them then!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Another eight new tracks made available in the last hour or so:

https://soundcloud.com/user48736353001/tracks

:D :D :D
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Just in case anybody is interested, after a month or so of concerted listening I've organised a bunch of the unreleased AFX tracks into (hopefully!) coherent and pleasing to the ear albums. Also tidied up the track names a bit, which might be a little naughty but I don't care ;) So far I have:

Selected Ambient Works Volume 3
Chink 101
Parking Lot
With My Family
Kid's Beach
Sam's Car
Mental Telepathy
Dance And Play
Nova Robotiks
Forgotten T
2-Tone
Martin's Car LPF
Helioshpan (Live)
Just Fall Asleep

Selected Ambient Works Volume 4
ssnb
No Cares
Lush Slow Blips
AFX Theme
Lush Ambulance 2
Pearls
Sally Vingoe
Lannerlog
Suzanne
Red Alert
Symbonsad
FM Sub Bass
ssbA

Selected Ambient Works Volume 5
Pink Floyd
Utopia
Original Chaos Riff
Slow Early Morning
Red Calx (Slow)
Slow Bird Whistle (Peel Session)
th1
Stabbing Interview
07B
Red Calx
Road Shimmer
th1 (Slow)
Chopped Beginning
Bicycle Wheel

Selected Ambient Works Volume 6
Hypersquidj
Quad Rave TEAC
bcr78
Bonkophone 2
Space Beat
Rough Beat Tune
Bob Morgan
Phase Acid
Wind Squidge
Cat Squidge 2
Bimbongo 2
prncDMC

RDJ Album Part 2
Cutting
(HAB un23)
Organ Epic
Notting Hill Bus
Carn Math (Longerbit)
Early Morning Clissold
Acid Organ (Rough Mix)
Make A Baby
∂ƒx 126b
Last Clissold Maybe

RDJ Album Part 3
Girl/Boy Song (Dark Version)
PianoX
Sekonda
dsb
(Water)
Mellow Punchy
Blue Carpet
Hilo
MS Short
(Taut)
∂ƒ∆
Floating ∞

Phew! This still leaves 100 (!) tracks unsorted (apart from by rough year of creation), but I'm slowly getting to those :lol: Anyway, posted just in case this is useful to anyone - it's certainly a daunting pile of material to get through...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Quick search revealed that the final (?) total stands at 230 tracks or 2.2 Gb worth of material.

Torrent here: https://thepirateproxy.xyz/torrent/1235 ... ndcloud%5D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five