Moon Duo

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

MODLAB
Site Admin

Moon Duo

Post by MODLAB »

Stream of the new album.

http://www.npr.org/2015/02/22/387203848 ... of-the-sun

I'm enjoying it. Love this psychedelic boogie...

M
Design.
johnnyboy
Known user

Re: Moon Duo

Post by johnnyboy »

Marvellous sounds as always with the Moon Duo. First listen now, halfway through the hypnotic 4/4 thump thump of Ice and can't stop my head nodding away. Would sound brilliant in a club. I've a signed copy of the album coming my way next week. Roll on the tour too, can't wait to get my boogie on.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

listened to this last night.. it's good and all that but Moon Duo are the Status Quo of the psych world aren't they? just remaking the same album over and over.

also the album cover for this one looks like an A level Psychology textbook from the 80s :)
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Me neither.

;)
Design.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote:listened to this last night.. it's good and all that but Moon Duo are the Status Quo of the psych world aren't they? just remaking the same album over and over.

also the album cover for this one looks like an A level Psychology textbook from the 80s :)
Not a fan then??

Gonna wait till next week for my album to come, pretty sure I`ll love it though, its an accusation plenty bands down the years have had thrown at them,
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Great review here on Quietus http://thequietus.com/articles/17302-mo ... sun-review which highlights the delights behind that 'sameness' sound of theirs.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

definitely one of the better live band experiences out there at the moment.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote:
angelsighs wrote:listened to this last night.. it's good and all that but Moon Duo are the Status Quo of the psych world aren't they? just remaking the same album over and over.

Not a fan then??

Gonna wait till next week for my album to come, pretty sure I`ll love it though, its an accusation plenty bands down the years have had thrown at them,
yeah not the biggest fan- they're alright. I would definitely catch them again live if I can, but not really interested in buying any more of their records.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Just had some Girl Scout Cookies and this is sounding sooo good.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

tuesday night in philly - i really should get my ass down there.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Thought some might like this, NYTaper has full show recorded from earlier in the month, not heard it myself, downloading it at the minute, but their recordings are usually pretty good,

http://www.nyctaper.com/2015/03/moon-du ... -full-set/
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

The album doesn't appear to be going down well with the forumites it seems, I however think its great, more of the same obviously, but not a duff track on there for me.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I must admit I'm liking it a lot, especially the "In A Cloud" track. That could go on for another 6 minutes and it'd still be too short for me! :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

After the glory of the Mary Chain album I really wasn't expecting to hear another record demanding repeat listens from me. Certainly not so soon after anyway, yet Occult Architecture Vol.2 has me doing just that.

The two instrumentals are blowing me away and I really hope they explore this sound further rather than revert back to type.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:After the glory of the Mary Chain album I really wasn't expecting to hear another record demanding repeat listens from me. Certainly not so soon after anyway, yet Occult Architecture Vol.2 has me doing just that.

The two instrumentals are blowing me away and I really hope they explore this sound further rather than revert back to type.
You have me worried now Joycey. I don't like the new JAMC LP much at all.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote:
sunray wrote:After the glory of the Mary Chain album I really wasn't expecting to hear another record demanding repeat listens from me. Certainly not so soon after anyway, yet Occult Architecture Vol.2 has me doing just that.

I'll put that down to the dodgy hearing of an old man and/or a crap stereo :wink:

Fear not though, the Moon Duo album retains their sound but is a trippier, more blissful affair.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:
olan wrote:

I'll put that down to the dodgy hearing of an old man and/or a crap stereo :wink:

Fear not though, the Moon Duo album retains their sound but is a trippier, more blissful affair.
That could well be it. It couldn't be that the JAMC LP is a tad shite, could it? It just seems to plod along. I might appreciate it more in a live setting, but it just doesn't do it for me or my cloth ears
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Occult Architecture Vol.2 is officially out, surely someone else here has heard it and cares to comment? I still contend that it's possibly the best thing they've ever done.

Goes down mighty well with sunshine :D
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I heard a stream of it a couple of times last week, sounded really good, but I generally like everything they do so I would say that, the best they`ve ever done? Hmm, need to reserve judgement on that till I actually own it, next week or two probably.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

sunray wrote:Occult Architecture Vol.2 is officially out, surely someone else here has heard it and cares to comment? I still contend that it's possibly the best thing they've ever done.

Goes down mighty well with sunshine :D
Vol. 2 is indeed the titties.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

It is quite different to much of their previous work. It is very interesting, particular in the production, which is very, very good. You can nearly understand what Ripley is singing :shock: . My main criticism after the first careful listen is that it plods a bit. Decent LP though.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My only issue is I wish it were twice as long.
I love this record.
I don't own Vol.1. How do they compare?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My copy is waiting to be picked up the record shop. They were fantastic live the other week and I've been hearing great things about this record so must go and grab it as soon as I can. Just a bit cheeky that they've released them as two separate records when it would be cheaper for customers to purchase it as one double album.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Live set from NY

http://www.nyctaper.com/2017/05/moon-du ... trade-nyc/

You wouldn’t be wrong in listening to our Moon Duo recordings and determining that Moon Duo live sounds awfully like Moon Duo’s records. Their precision is something unparalleled by mortal musicians. Sanae Yamada and Ripley Johnson have a rare musical alchemy that you get the feeling the two may have forgone verbal communication for some mystical mind-meld discovered late at night in the studio while recording Occult Architecture. As for touring drummer John Jeffrey, he’s a human metronome, likely more machine than man. Add to all this some hypnotic visuals and you find that Rough Trade NYC has been transformed into a Village nightclub out of the Exploding Plastic Inevitable. Something sinister lurks within a Moon Duo song so it’s fitting this set gets capped off with a cover from the most-sinister Stooges; “No Fun” is made Moon Duo’s own and completes the transportation back to the psychedelic sixties.

I recorded this from the soundboard cage with the AKG’s set up in DIN stereo configuration, combined with a board feed courtesy of FOH Terry Mattson and Moon Duo’s touring engineer. The sound is spectacular. Enjoy!

Moon Duo
2017-04-27
Rough Trade NYC
Brooklyn, NY

Recorded and produced by Eric PH for nyctaper.com

Soundboard + AKG C480B/CK61 (DIN, DFC) > Zoom F8 > 2 x WAV (24/48) > Adobe Audition CC (align, mixdown, balance, compression, normalize, fades) + Izotope Ozone 5 (EQ, exciter) > Audacity 2.0.5 (tracking, tagging, dither, downsample) > FLAC (16/44.1, level 8)

Tracks [1:11:40]
01. The Death Set
02. Cold Fear
03. Creepin’
04. White Rose
05. Free the Skull
06. I Been Gone
07. Free Action
08. Sevens
09. Cult of Moloch
10. [encore break]
11. Goners
12. No Fun [The Stooges]
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Finally got round to getting Vol 2 on vinyl today, a right treat, a real laid back breeze of a record, can see it getting played a lot. First time I`ve dealt with Monorail Records, sent me black instead of whatever colour it was supposed to be, not to bothered it sounds great, but it does put me off using them again.

That live gig above is also a great recording, well recommended.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

New 12" covering The Stooges and Alan Vega: https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/prod ... abe-no-fun
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Just ordered this. Produced by Pete I believe?

M
Design.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Bought tickets to see them at the end of this month last night, should be able to pick this up on the merch table on the night hopefully, didn`t know about the Sonic connection, cool.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

They are playing the wonderful Hare & Hounds venue (I imagine they would probably be pummelling in that small room) in Birmingham still deciding whether to make it my first gig of the year, picking up that piece of vinyl might be another motivator.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Just arrived and on first spin — really good! Jukebox Babe is mellow trippy boogie with swirling synths and guitars. No Fun is again trippy. You can hear the Pete influences all over the album. I highly recommend it.

M
Design.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

MODLAB wrote:Just arrived and on first spin — really good! Jukebox Babe is mellow trippy boogie with swirling synths and guitars. No Fun is again trippy. You can hear the Pete influences all over the album. I highly recommend it.

M
I am enjoying, managed to snag a white vinyl copy anybody else's labels on wrong sides?
'Remember, change is not good'
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Black vinyl on the merch desk. Picked up a copy along with a split 7"w/ Kikagaku Moyo at the weekend.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

New album 'Stars Are The Light' due 27th September. Their Disco album apparently, with Sonic on mixing duties.

Title track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYXVk4cEbkY

Ripley seems to be in a really mellow mood of late :)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I really like that- total Balearic vibes.
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Same here, a real quick grower, looking forward to this album, Glasgow date in Nov I think, will definitely be there, been a busy yr for Ripley one way or another.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Very much looking forward to this. They're also playing in Brighton again at the church where I went to junior school.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I am loving this new album
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Mine's in the post - can't wait for it to arrive. Loved Ripley's Rose City Band record earlier this year, so very much looking forward to this.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

stegraham wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:53 pm Loved Ripley's Rose City Band record earlier this year, so very much looking forward to this.
Yep, the Rose City Band LP was great. I'm having trouble getting into the new Moon Duo LP. It is lovely and melodic but just a bit one-paced and lacking in any bite whatsoever.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

They're playing Brighton again in November. The gig is actually in the Church where I went to infants/junior school which is cool 8) Its on a Monday night though which isn't so cool :roll: Got to pick up by copy of the new album from Resident tomorrow. Its one of these posh 'Dinked' editions if that means anything.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Yeah, I love the new album. I went for a run to it earlier and it was pure bliss. Samey, for sure, but I love the harmonies and the dreamy electronic textures.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Yes, the new record arrived yesterday and I listened to it 3 times in a row when I got home from work. Really like it. Droney mellow feel but bouncy at the same time.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

stegraham wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:10 am Droney mellow feel but bouncy at the same time.
Good description. I like the album. It's got a real blissed out sunshine feel to it that's expanding on the vibe of Occult Architecture Vol.2. You can definitely hear some Sonic flourishes in it too.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I really like this and last year's Wooden Ships album. Both have a much brighter vibe and are albums that I don't get raised eyebrows from the family when I spin them at dinner time :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Really like this, although Im listening to quite a good chunk of ambient techno so it has a similar if more balearic vibe to it
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I'm still unconvinced by the new LP. There is a really nice aud/sbd matrix of a recent Moon Duo gig (September 7th) to download here: http://www.nyctaper.com/2019/09/moon-du ... aleigh-nc/. You can chose FLAC or MP3.

If you search the NYC Taper site there are loads of Dean and Britta and Luna gigs, some Moon Duo and Wooden Shjips and lots of other interesting things
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

had a listen this morning- it's not doing much for me on first listen either. I like that they are changing up their sound a bit (they had to), although you can still tell it's them, its a bit light and fluffy

certain bits reminded me of Peaking Lights

I do have a feeling they will still crank it up live though- when seeing them, I've been surprised how much more oomph they have in the live arena.

that nyc taper site has so much great stuff. I've got some fine Chris Forsyth recordings from there
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

With the prolonged period of sunny weather Stars Are The Light has been getting a lot of plays and, it has to be said, it really is a psychedelic masterpiece. Pure bliss, whether straight or in the outer realms :D 8)