Full Concert from 1991 - Oxford Poly

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

plastic37
Known user

oxford may 1991 - 50+ mins live video!

Post by plastic37 »

Where was this one hiding.
Just found via Will C facebook...

I have never been so excited about finding a bootleg ever! I feel like live tweeting it!
Last edited by plastic37 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy Tourism
Dreamweapon
Known user

Re: oxford may 1991 - 50+ mins live video!

Post by Dreamweapon »

Good grief-this is stunning! The fact that the sound quality has been kept is amazing. Just wish I had the software to split this into individual mp3s!
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Fucking incredible isn't it.
I know what the set is gonna be pretty much.
Hoping for some surprises.
The video quality too.
I'm actually quite emotional..
Heavy Tourism
toomilk
Known user

Full Concert from 1991 - Oxford Poly

Post by toomilk »

http://youtu.be/7m0IfhxeLrA

Will just posted this on Facebook. A fucking Spz holy grail of footage.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

wowsers. looking forward to seeing and heading this
niamhm
Known user

Re: Full Concert from 1991 - Oxford Poly

Post by niamhm »

You just beat me !! :) In the middle of watching it, gobsmacked is my feeling, tremendous footage and I`ve never heard this incarnation of the band in this kinda quality live, happy Saturday night indeed.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

clewsr wrote:wowsers. looking forward to seeing and heading this
You won't be disappointed.
I'll not ruin the surprises.
Make some time for it.
I've never seen anything like it! Memories, sensations... really odd experience.
Heavy Tourism
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Listening now, thanks so much for the link!
Dreamweapon wrote:Good grief-this is stunning! The fact that the sound quality has been kept is amazing. Just wish I had the software to split this into individual mp3s!
I've already ripped the soundtrack to mp3 using "YouTube To MP3", an invaluable piece of software if you don't already have it. If I get round to it I'll end splitting that soundfile into individual tracks using Audacity - it's really easy, just a little time-consuming. Give me a shout if you want some pointers :)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I'm not going to spoil things for others as I listen, apart from commenting on the stupendous sound quality. The third song has just started and, well, wow...
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Yup...
Know what you mean.
You're all in for a real treat.
There are some really nice touches visually too.
mc wrote:I'm not going to spoil things for others as I listen,

I'm on a self imposed week long embrago on discussing the content.
There's plenty to say though.
Heavy Tourism
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

One of Will's comments in the Facebook thread:

"There is a colection of even earlier spiritualized shows ...with good sound and much better video that I know someone has in Rugby. At least seven shows worth I would say ..."

:shock: :shock: :shock:
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

mc wrote:One of Will's comments in the Facebook thread:

"There is a colection of even earlier spiritualized shows ...with good sound and much better video that I know someone has in Rugby. At least seven shows worth I would say ..."

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Yeah, i saw that. I'm very happy with this for now.
I hope the dude who has them checks their smoke alarms regularly.
The one i'd love to see is Commonwealth Institute mid August. If a video of that in similar quality to this emerges...
Heavy Tourism
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

:shock: :shock: :shock: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D

Those truly were the days.

Anyone able to rip this footage and share before it disappears? Please and Thankyou x infinity.....
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

isn't there a Firefox extension that lets you download u tube films? I'm away at the moment but will certainly have a stab at it tomorrow. from what I've seen the quality is astonishing
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

^There is Firefox Download Helper but, sadly, it has stopped working for me since Firefox updated to Version 36. I tried to DL this vid last night with no luck. I did a little search and it seems that there is a new version of DL Helper ready to go and awaiting approval. Hopefully, it happens before this video is gone!...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Wow!

Interesting that the user - Riot In Lagos - only has one other show posted, which is by Autechre. Where does stuff like this come from?

Also wonder if this show is available at a higher bitrate than the YouTube standard setting of '360p' - which is sadly the equivalent of 128kbps. Without getting all Tom Port/Hot Stampers on you - it just means the audio as it is (despite sounding great for that vintage) is compressed to hell.

Anyway I'm gonna attempt to rip this by tomorrow. Not to keen on the auto-rip apps, I'll be doing this the long way via Audacity for quality control and that... :wink:
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I used this last night to rip audio and mp4 video, very simple to work just insert the URL
http://peggo.co/ sounds okay,
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Here's my first attempt at a rip - one single file rather than split ones, but hope it provides an initial insight. Seems to come up as 164kbps, but see what you think:

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/TWnk ... qO%2FI%2BQ

I know some of you have software to split tracks/beef up quality,, but as I say, first attempt!
Last edited by Dreamweapon on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

This features the outrageous take of Feelin' Just Fine (Head Full of Shit) which I always go on about and which was a regular part of the set back then. The most incredible musical moment of my life was when they played it at the Mean Fiddler in November of that year. I met God during that song - twice. The wobbly wah-wah Jason plays in this is absolutely extraordinary. The sound of psychedelic perfection.

Will looks really cool in these old clips too.

For me it is that song above any other which he should resurrect and polish once more.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Just noticed that there is another thread to this on the 'Gigs' section, so not to sure where to post now....!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i'm downloading the video as we speak. i use the savefrom.net firefox addon

i can upload the video if anoyne wants?
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Dreamweapon wrote:Just noticed that there is another thread to this on the 'Gigs' section, so not to sure where to post now....!
Yeah, can we merge these please? Thanks.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

There we are...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Beat me to it. Cheers Mr. Runcible :wink:
O P 8
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Well then!
Very much looking forward to checking this out.
Thanks!
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

i'm really blown away by this.

Audio is excellent. Is there a better recording from this era? - by which i mean the May/June 1991 dates - I haven't heard it.

These versions of the LGM and end of Spacemen 3 songs are superb. And for those who are particularly fond of the live rendition of Feelin Just Fine note that the version here is slightly different to ones i have found on other tapes. The versions i have don't feature the improvisation of the Hey Man lyrics. The first of the four recordings i have from 1991 is from the end of May. I think Jason must have decided to rejig Feeling Just Fine at some point after this recording.

I'm also very fond of Why Don't You Smile here. That little wha wha guitar feature is perfect.

Visuals are great too. The camera operator has done us proud.
I found it really interesting to see how much the band were into it.
And there's this amazing feel about it that really struck me. It was a very strange hour watching it for the first time. How can this be so long ago? It was as if what was on the screen was making contact with areas of my memory and giving them a good shake - lots fell out. People, places, smells, tastes, risks and rewards. If this had been a static camera filming from a platform i don't think the effect would have been the same. The little glimpses of the audience really added to it.
Bootleg of the year no question.

I'd love to know the story behind it and why no details of the recording have surfaced before - ie on that Spiritualized Live blog spot.

I revisited all my 1991 tapes and Friendly Fire as a result of this.

Its just amazing that this has survived and surfaced. I think the idea of this as the band - the seminal line up - is also part of its appeal. The way that this is the line up that (including the Spacemen 3 dissolution) was together for a while. And whatever the details of why the various members quit, watching this it is very easy to imagine that they were, at that time, on that night, in that room - all 100% into being part of it and giving it everything they had.
Last edited by plastic37 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy Tourism
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

spot on plastic37. I've been reveling in it for the past week. I do think that that first Band were something incredibly special. It is sad it didn't hold together for longer.

I've also been watching the MTV session and Glastonbury 1992 on u tube.

was it Mark Refoy who left first and was Glastonbury 1992 his last gig or an I completely wrong in that?
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

clewsr wrote:
was it Mark Refoy who left first and was Glastonbury 1992 his last gig or an I completely wrong in that?
I am sure that Will did not play on the May 1992 tour. The way i heard it he was the first to loose patience/let the frustrations mount - which makes sense as he was with the band the longest.
Heavy Tourism
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

of course. I knew that really. Wiki pedia had it as _

Will Carruthers left the band in 1992 and now records as a solo project under the name Freelovebabies, Carruthers was replaced by Rugby musician Sean Cook from local band Electrahead. Following the completion of recording sessions for Pure Phase, Mark Refoy left in 1994, deciding to concentrate on his own fronted band Slipstream. He was initially replaced by Kevin Cowen from fellow Rugby band The Darkside, Cowen only completed one gig (Glastonbury 1994) before himself leaving to be replaced first by John Coxon (Spring Heel Jack, Betty Boo) and then later on by Julian Cope's former guitarist Michael Mooney (Coxon returned to replace Mooney following his eventual departure). 
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

For those who don't have any tapes from 1991 i wanted to point out that other sets have included If I Were With Her Now - which was ... well, i could try and conjure another superlative but will settle on well worth tracking down.
Heavy Tourism
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

A nice interview from about the same time, where Jason talks about the whole band contributing musically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDCo7rdZmC8

@plastic37 - wish I still had those tapes you sent me after the Worthing Gig back in 1994!
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

A couple of additional points from 1991.
At the Aldershot gig (nicely documented here: http://fringeontop.com/2015/02/22/spiri ... buzz-club/) a friend had a ten minute chat with Jason. I don't have the full tape but do have a sheet of the transcript with some notes.

On Hypnotized: "In a way Hypnotized can be seen as the first Spiritualized single. It was the start of what we wanted to do in the band and although it was done as a Spacemen track and there wasn't any 'Hey, let's get another band together' the sounds on the record are basically what Spiritualized are all about. The feeling and the emotion was kind of what we wanted to do."

On Feel So Sad: "The version on the Spacemen lp is the reprise of what's coming out now. It's kind of a final thought on the whole thing. It was basically released the wrong way round."

And a final quirky question which i take credit for: Can you be a guitar hero playing the same two chords for 13 minutes?
To which Jason replied: "Depends how you play them really doesn't it?"

There's a note about the LP being callled Lazer Guided Melodies ( i am sure that this is the first time we had heard the phrase) and being scheduled for release in October of that year.
Heavy Tourism
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

plastic37 wrote:
On Hypnotized: "In a way Hypnotized can be seen as the first Spiritualized single. It was the start of what we wanted to do in the band and although it was done as a Spacemen track and there wasn't any 'Hey, let's get another band together' the sounds on the record are basically what Spiritualized are all about. The feeling and the emotion was kind of what we wanted to do."
That's always how I saw it, although I came to Spacemen 3 and Recurring after the release of LGM. The second half of Recurring is more Spiritualized than spacemen 3 and likewise the first half is more Spectrum than Spacemen 3. Its good to have Blue on Blue and Friendly Fire, courtesy of Will Carruthers as they effectively fill the gap between Recurring and the sound on Lazer Guided Melodies. Particularly with that Spiritualized take on 'Amen'

Sonic said in a recent interview that Recurring is a 'mess of an album'. Never thought that myself. I love the whole of it. And really, given the sounds it could only really and been sequenced 1/2 and 1/2.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

clewsr wrote:Sonic said in a recent interview that Recurring is a 'mess of an album'. Never thought that myself. I love the whole of it. And really, given the sounds it could only really and been sequenced 1/2 and 1/2.
If that was the interview I did for the Dock Ellis Records blog the word he used was actually 'weird'. And as far as the sequence goes he has the opposite view, saying:
I don’t think there’s anything that wouldn’t have been gained by doing at as one album rather than two sides…
I quite like the split approach but I am so used to it that's how I look at Recurring, but I do think it would have sounded better if the tracks had been mixed up. Whatever, it remains a massively underrated record IMO.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

runcible wrote:
clewsr wrote:Sonic said in a recent interview that Recurring is a 'mess of an album'. Never thought that myself. I love the whole of it. And really, given the sounds it could only really and been sequenced 1/2 and 1/2.
If that was the interview I did for the Dock Ellis Records blog the word he used was actually 'weird'. And as far as the sequence goes he has the opposite view, saying:
I don’t think there’s anything that wouldn’t have been gained by doing at as one album rather than two sides…
I quite like the split approach but I am so used to it that's how I look at Recurring, but I do think it would have sounded better if the tracks had been mixed up. Whatever, it remains a massively underrated record IMO.
I heard it recently on an audio interview he did. There were two I listened to the same day a while back, meant to post them but forgot. Its on this one I think, https://www.mixcloud.com/AMosca/entrevi ... er-kember/ and there is also this - https://www.mixcloud.com/mrpharmacist/t ... ctrum-ear/

both are worth a listen, of course.

In terms of the sides to me the sound of the songs on each side are so different each side separating them would feel uncomfortable somehow. Best to treat them as what they were by then, two separate parallel projects with different destinations in mind.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

I've downloaded the version ripped by Dreamweapon, split the tracks using mp3directcut (no re-coding),and tagged the files. Hope I've got the tracks all correct. You can download the zip file here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a18fi3vfyz9a2 ... d.zip?dl=0
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Jebus Sabes wrote:I've downloaded the version ripped by Dreamweapon, split the tracks using mp3directcut (no re-coding),and tagged the files. Hope I've got the tracks all correct. You can download the zip file here:
Solid.
Much thanks.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Thanks!
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

This is brilliant. What a find. That's the stuff.
coffeepotman
Known user

Post by coffeepotman »

So good it's giving me chills up and down my spine!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Jebus Sabes wrote:I've downloaded the version ripped by Dreamweapon, split the tracks using mp3directcut (no re-coding),and tagged the files. Hope I've got the tracks all correct. You can download the zip file here:
big thanks for doing this! I've put it on my mp3 player, now I just need a nice long walk or train journey where I can listen to it in it's entirety!
TimAb
New user

Post by TimAb »

Thank you. This salvaged a bad day.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

If you're bored this weekend -
Do yourself a favour
Step in
Turn out the lights
and let this beauty surge - express from Oxford via the tube of heaven
Heavy Tourism
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

All you guys are my heroes.
Thank you.

Cats included.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Incredible. Thanks for this!
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Blissing out ...
Once more
Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

An equivalent event occurred in Black Sabbath land on 11th September ... here is their thread.
http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthr ... Dimeadozen

And the vid
blessed be brothers ...
Heavy Tourism
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

An even earlier gig here- The Marquee in London, 1990

Unfortunately the sound is clipping so not a great listen. But it gives you a visual flavour of them in this era at least.

https://youtu.be/7TaD-t9ww7g
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

The almighty algorithm fed me this video and I had to come here and search for it. Really remarkable. I watched this last night on some edibles and a few drinks and the inebriation and camera work married in a way to really make me feel like I was there. Truly precious.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Both videio unavailable
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »