How Fortunately History may be Observed over Time w/ Music

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

semisynthetic
Known user

Re: How Fortunately History may be Observed over Time w/ Mus

Post by semisynthetic »

plastic37 wrote:cool
Any chance of a reference for that CCCS piece?

And you've now encouraged me to go beyond Crass and Napalm Death in the anarcho punk canon. Thanks (i think).
This may not be to your taste; but I have been collecting Singles and 10" & 12" recordings of an Austrian band called DER BLUTHARSCH; there is a combination of sound effects and something similar to music that I find very interesting. Perhaps in part because it was great fun once upon a time for me to layer and combine special effects - sometimes by the hours for use at certain parties where these sound effects and music made a great background of musical imagery; when these were combined with films, they were sometimes really very good; I remember a particular evening where someone asked "what is going on", to hear their friend reply, "I think these are foreign films". Anyway, Der Blutharsch, which is an ancient term that refers to "congealed blood of battle", among many other definitions, and is not for everyone; they tend to press in very small numbers. But, I mention them for your benefit; who knows what another will enjoy?
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

An earlier Thread, also in "MUSIC", but now several pages back, referred to as "PICTURE DISCS", has a variety of Early Materials, Colored Vinyl and other early examples from the very early 1900's (onward), along with a variety of Discs that are both interesting and have Historical context; contributions were made by a number of people, is worth reviewing for those who are interested in History; Discs from Faschist Leaders to "the American People", and some interesting and (a few very Beautiful) Pic Discs. Some large percentage of that Thread would fit nicely here. There are a number of "History Meets Art" and "History Meets History" in that Thread. It may be worth a review, or first look to any who missed it.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I found another Yugoslavian example that would likely not have made it in the CCCP or satellites other than Hungary. There are many more examples that would continue to show the point that under Tito, there was a relaxation of such strict, draconian interference like was and is again seen in Moscow; I came across this in another file - if I have shown it before, it is of course, my error.

"Rolling Stones YUGOSLAVIAN Single Honky Tonk Woman 1969 w 1968 Sympathy for the Devil PRESSED Jugoton 1976"

I will likely not Post any further Yugo examples (unless something wonderful comes along). I chose this after once reading that the former CCCP would ban the word or Idea of the Devil or Satan, because that would infer the opposite exits -a Goodness, or God; and NOTHING must be more powerful or "give" hope (or anything else), than could The State in this "view".
Another failed idea of The State; to attempt to stop a thinking person the ability to seek out in each our own way, how we became and why we are here; not to be told under Indictment, but to search in our own way for something greater than The State could ever be, (except perhaps for those who have nothing else to look to); or lack an ability to look outward AND inward; and into the Heavens for answers that may not be of this Earth. Banning an Idea has always ultimately failed; even in Totalitarian regimes; for who knows what is in a person's heart or mind?
Attachments
Rolling Stones YUGOSLAVIAN Single Honky Tonk Woman 1969 w 1968 Sympathy for the Devil PRESSED Jugoton 1976
Rolling Stones YUGOSLAVIAN Single Honky Tonk Woman 1969 w 1968 Sympathy for the Devil PRESSED Jugoton 1976
Rolling Stones YUGOSLAVIAN Single Honky Tonk Woman 1969 w 1968 Sympathy for the Devil PRESSED Jugoton 1976 500.jpg (45.48 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Not long ago, I obtained a [sealed] 1968 pressing, a Promo Review Copy, actually, of the OST Score by "Elmer Bernstein" and "Harpers Bizarre" of the Peter Sellers film "I Love You Alice B. Toklas". Very Hippy-trippy and very 1968. I was surprised, (at first anyway), to then have the Film Poster of this VERY Western, "not behind the Wall" Trippy-Sitar-Acid film comedy from - you guessed it, Yugoslavia! (However, the translation reads "I Loved Hippie Girl"). Truly, I had not intended to venture that way again, but this was sort of "special" I thought; so I share it here. The image I was sent is poor, but when matted and framed, it will be very nice. I have rambled on about the differences of the Yugoslavian Regime and how the "West" was allowed in unlike other CCCP occupied countries more than enough, so here is a "not-so-great-yet-image" of the Film Poster allowed in Yugoslavia at an incredible time in History; other countries in the Bloc were literally being invaded by the CCCP.
Very interesting window of History here, from c.1968; in fact, I obtained (2)!
Attachments
YUGO POSTER I love You Alice B Toklas ("I Loved Hippie Girl") 1968
YUGO POSTER I love You Alice B Toklas ("I Loved Hippie Girl") 1968
YUGO POSTER I love You Alice B Toklas 1968 50.jpg (98.73 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

There are, quite often, recordings and artists that I enjoy (in varying degrees), but appreciate nevertheless, that are now far removed in Time. Many of my "favorite" recordings are pre-1917; many things changed here, with our entrance into WWI, so I find 1917 a convenient date for a number of things.

In this early period, experimentation was as great as ever! It was all new, and how to make a sound, and then record that sound, and Finally to allow people the enjoyment of reproducing that sound IN THEIR HOME was all very new! "Old Dog Sport" is a recording I have mentioned many times, from c. 1904 - 1910. It combines a story with sound effects; the BEST examples move the Heart to Happiness, to hear the story and a redemption from "being put down" because of Sport's contributions over the years as told by the old man; himself cognizant of HIS age, not just Ol' Sports.

The 1920's were a time of Dextro-amphetamine-laced Champagnes - (I have a Beautifully Bound, small booklet, about 1921, by a "Peer of the Realm of the UK" whose name I don't recall, (actually he did NOT use his/her real name) who wrote and had published for his/her friends and so on, this very nice, (very costly) little book which could have been simply entitled "How to Party all Week Long" - which is NOT the title, but gives recipes for Dextro-amphetamine in Champagne because it "allows one to enjoy the overall effects much longer with vigor" (paraphrased); and so not surprisingly, there is fast music! Foxtrots and Jazz! It was the Time of sort of very early "Metal Machine Music". There are pages and pages in small type of little catalogues I have acquired over the years of both Recordings and Musicians and Orchestras. Classical Music led the pack, really; or at least helped pay to allow yet MORE types of recordings to be developed. Many Opera and Classical Pieces sold for $3.50 to $7.50 EACH in a time where the conversion factor is roughly 11-20x. A recording marked "$1.00" in 1914 would be at least $11.00 today; any type of special records would increase that factor.
Most names would mean nothing to most of the people on this thread, including myself. I just happen to likely own more of these early 78rpm Discs, and more variety of Musicians and bands than other people; these older discs are heavy and troublesome, so I have been told as I took them away by the boxful. But there are names you have likely heard, and never really been told much about them. I am no expert, but I can offer up some interesting points on an early, and creative Rudy Valle'e. I placed a photo below (c. 1929) and a check stub from one of his companies that I obtained as gifts; it was a way of getting an "autograph" and a sliver of a glance into the period (Post WWII), at least 20 years after Mr. Vallee' had done some fairly remarkable things. (The young lady w/ him is Olga Dvorak).

Perhaps one of the great, iconic pieces used in the film "Casablanca" was just an excerpt from "As Time Goes By", arranged and performed by Rudy Vallee' a decade earlier in 1931. Most people have never heard the entire song, although at one time, the 78rpm records were available in 10", 12" and Picture Discs! I have the Picture Disc; and it may be in an older Thread. Below is an example AFTER the film came out, and two versions were woven into one. It was a popular song long before the film adaptation.

Mr. Valle'e did other things behind the scenes that have been lost, and sadly, twisted by ignorance. One of the very EARLIEST people to recognize a very young and lean talented Louis Armstrong was Rudy Vallee'. Until recently, there was an amusing and very advanced for its time, a "Music Video" of sorts called by several names, but generally accepted as "Rudy Valle'e's Musical Hospital" aka "Rudy Valle'e, Musical Doctor"; This video, in 1932, uses CCTelevision Screens to monitor the "patients" as Mr. Valle'e "sings" them back to health; and gives Louis Armstrong some important - and rare for the period -time onscreen. How foolishly we seem to discard the past when it "offends", when in fact it was often the scenes that started careers; the germination of something Great. Thin skin does no one any good; rewriting History that is best left alone is a poor choice I think. Some changes take more time; and these changes should be kept and if not admired for their creativity, at LEAST kept for the chance to see perhaps the FIRST time some great musicians were ever seen onscreen, no matter what the part, or how small. I think today, with so many people now so used to "instantaneous" whatever, on gadgets or how they are used, it took awhile to get here. In MANY WAYS!

I am very disappointed that you cannot enjoy what is arguably a very advanced bit of work for its time, because "racism" has rendered something akin to "book burning" of an era not far removed from this video in Time and Mind-set. There were any great number of songs that I am certain most people would consider silly; but it was an age of silliness and a World where "The War to End all Wars" was over, the economy was roaring, art and music flourished in America and Europe; and the level of creativity was Wonderful, and added much to what we enjoy today.

ADDENDUM 08-23-15: After looking for several years, (and even speaking with the last Mrs. Valle'e and others), I DID manage to obtain a PROMO Photo from the 1932 Video of "Rudy Valle'e, Musical Doctor". Here you can see Mr. Valle'e standing by (part) of a device that allows him to watch by Closed Circuit Television how his "patients" respond to him singing "Happy Songs"; Louis Armstrong was in this Video, but for reasons that twist History wrongly, YouTube took down the Video many times I learned. I was surprised, and disappointed that so much offends so many over so little so often. For 1932, this was a brilliant Video which included Mr. Valle'e's friend, Louis Armstrong - a VERY YOUNG Louis Armstrong at that. An olde Southern Tune that was still played on Black Radio and Recordings was used; the playing of the song was used (here) as an anesthetic, with a "megaphone" over Mr. Armstrong's face - delivered like Ether (which was still very much in REAL Hospital use at this time).

"Just Keep a little song Handy wherever you go, and Nothing can ever go Wrong!"

With the 1929 Crash came the Great Depression, then WWII; and the silliness we may shake our heads at now was sadly over. REALLY over. Yet this fellow, and many like Mr. Valle'e did much behind the scenes to include all races and types of music, or produce a greater variety of music than most. I am using what very little I have read, but much of what I own and listen to. Louis Armstrong would continue to get help and funding from Mr. Valle'e - who by this time was quite wealthy and was a businessman who loved Music and musicians; his stereotypical act was just that - what he did to help other artists will likely never be fully known.

Other names that comes to mind are Fred Waring, Paul Whiteman; Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey - aka "The Dorsey Brothers". If you have ever heard of a "Waring Blender", that's Fred Waring's invention, and one of many things he did that indirectly affected sound. More and more, there were electronics being incorporated into creating better quality recordings, no more singing or playing loudly into a 3-4 foot diameter Horn - instead microphones and other pieces of equipment that are taken for granted now, were a Wonder in their day. "Fred Waring and his Pennsylvanians" is how Mr. Waring is most often remembered today. I am really very happy to see more and more of the very early pieces saved and reissued so that the generations "skipped" can finally enjoy them again. It is not much of an investment to buy a new 78rpm player, and plug it into a smaller amp with a speaker or two (or more). In fact, my latest 78rpm player, [the one I save for NEWER only or NOS or sealed copies I wish to play] is an advanced player built upon a Swiss Turntable, as most of my Main System is now; but I also have many players for "the well enjoyed discs of History", and they were $10 - $100 for electronic; and of course the Original Gramophones & Grafophones are greatly varied in value. The point is, there are plenty of interesting Comedy, music for those who Immigranted to the USA - Irish, Yiddish, et al; Jazz, and the JUST_PLAIN_WEIRD and otherwise interesting pieces like you have never heard. I lack the ability to share what I would like; there are hundreds and hundreds of GREAT pieces that defy Time. I have a 12" 78rpm Disc of "The Swallows" A NeoPolitan Quartet that is musically STRANGELY SIMILAR to a piece by the same Title, but not related to a 2LP set of Electronica released and funded by The Smithsonian in 1980.
Very Strange coincidences occur when you gather a Century of varied music together instead of only part of a part of any one generation.

So I would just like to suggest that any of you who can and have interest, to set up a 78rpm system, on the side; most of the time you can get find 78rpm records for free or cheap; or you can buy all manner of recordings from all over the world. Some of course are not at all "cheap"; but I still find exceptional discs at garage sales - (Usually in the house, AFTER I ask if they by chance have any they wish to sell); most of the time they are $1 or so, and "if I take them all".
I suggest people have a look at the old "Music"/ "Picture Discs" Thread - it contains a fairly wide variety; some were free, some were fairly costly. All are worth having; and keeping for Future Days; so much of intrinsic value that cannot be calculated is lost everyday; we lose a bit of our past everyday while rushing into tomorrow, and just maybe that is not a great idea.

If I seem a little pushy, I don't mean to do THAT; it is just that so much Diverse, and simply Wonderfully creative pieces existing and are out there in your neighbor's garage, or at a garage sale for $1 each to be rediscovered; like ANY music, you aren't going to want to track down every musician or band; but it is worth it to help give yourself a little more insight into how all this started, and again, how incredibly creative so many pieces STILL are after all this time. Now, I KNOW this "video" below is slow and simple; so listen to it that way; lyrics that are clever, and bring us down to Earth and let us forget about "Mr. Einstein's Theory", if only for a little while. :D

Again, the friendship of Rudy Valle'e and Louis Armstrong is seen in the backstage photo taken about 1937; and very soon, Valle'e would ensure that the USA audience (and the World) would get even more of Armstrong's music on the air when Valle'e had placed in his contract that Armstrong would be his replacement for 2 MONTHS a year, and Host a popular radio Program when Valle'e went on vacation and Live; this was a fantastic opportunity as Armstrong told in numerous interviews at the time, and many years later, as he revisited his career and how hard they all worked to get there. It is very difficult I believe for any of us to understand the "unwritten" laws in the "North" that were every bit as "understood" as was forced segregation. But Rudy Valle'e was extremely popular, and eventually got his way with Victor and the radio Shows too.

Valle'e looks fried, I think; it had been Partyrama for well over a dozen years at this point, of course coupled with an enormous volume of work. It is very impressive to see just how MUCH material and how many different radio programs, different record labels, and almost nightly live shows that Valle'e did to achieve what he did, he was, like so many other examples I'm sure we can all think of, the right "sound and persona" at the right time that people enjoyed immensely; but that same ever fickle public would eventually want something (and someone) very different; but for decades, Valle'e remained extraordinarily popular. I was really very pleased to find and obtain the photos and ephemera below, along with hundreds more from the late 1800's to 1940, of a wonderful variety of musicians; Jazz to Blues to ("real") Country Music, and so much in between, along with (a great many) 78rpm discs from all over the World.
Attachments
Rudy Vallee and Louis Armstrong_Early Backstage Photo PRE-1940s
Rudy Vallee and Louis Armstrong_Early Backstage Photo PRE-1940s
Rudy Vallee and Louis Armstrong_Early Backstage Photo_ circa mid 1930s.jpg (57.11 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
RUDY VALLEE _The Musical Doctor_ 1932 PROMO from this Early "Music Video"
RUDY VALLEE _The Musical Doctor_ 1932 PROMO from this Early "Music Video"
RUDY VALLEE _The Musical Doctor_ 1932 PROMO 001 c.jpg (88.93 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
RUDY VALLEE' Photo with Olga Dvorak (1929) and a CHECK Nov. 18th 1946
RUDY VALLEE' Photo with Olga Dvorak (1929) and a CHECK Nov. 18th 1946
RUDYVALLEEPhotoandCHECK.jpg (144.59 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Over the last week or so, I have been using a series of RCA & Bluebird Catalogues from the early 1920's to the early 1930's and buying by "Recording Number", in a much more regimented way than I usually do; and obtained roughly 36 78rpm discs by a wide variety of bands - (including by default several by Mr. Valle'e above).

Many were so called Novelty recordings, and some Comedy; but mainly made for Dancing; out of this 3 dozen or so recordings, no less than 2/3 involve excessive alcoholic consumption and hints at staying "up at this all week 24/7"; I was surprised, frankly, at what specific discs can bring in "as new" condition now. I realize that at least 90% of these records are so very dated that most will be viewed as quaint at best, but there are always some exceptional examples during this very creative and exploratory era that may easily be compared to the 1960's for a number of reasons. It has been fun to find and obtain by Record Catalogue Number these discs; (I am usually not so "rigid" in how I obtain any recordings). Records of this era, often even "NEW" recordings, I prefer to enjoy on my favorite Gramophone; the "tinny sound" you hear on old film soundtracks of these record playing machines is not always very realistic; the sound quality can fill the room, and highs and lows are so clear that I believe many of you would be surprised! There is of course more limitation of the low end, and the range certainly is not what we are used to today, but a quality disc played even on a nice Gramophone is more than just nostalgic, although that is part of the fun.

A "Generalized" Method of (many) to Grade 78rpm Recordings:

•N. As new and unplayed; still within their perforated sleeves and unopened.
•N-. Nearly Mint, but has been played. No visible signs of wear or damage.
•E+. Plays like new, w/ very, very few signs of handling, such as tiny scuffs from being slipped in & out of jackets.
•E. Still very shiny, near new looking, w/ no visible signs of wear, but a few inaudible scuffs & scratches.
•E-. Still shiny but w/o the luster of a new record, few light scratches.
•V+. An average condition 78 in which scuffs & general use has dulled the finish somewhat. Wear is moderate but playing is generally free from distortion. Surface noise not overly pronounced.
•V. Moderate, even wear throughout, but still very playable. Surface noise & scratches audible but not intrusive. •V-. Quite playable still, but distortion & heavy greying (of the disc's color) in loud passages. Music remains loud in most passages. Surface noise & scratches well below music level.
•G+. Grey throughout (literally) but still serviceable. Music begins to sound muffled. Heavy scratches.
•G. Quite seriously worn & scratched, but music level is still higher than surface noise.
•G-. Music still prominent, but wear & scratch damage extensive.
•F. Most of music remains audible over surface noise, but listening now uncomfortable.
•P. Unplayable.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Not long ago, I obtained a precious few 7" singles and Pic Sleeves from the Andy Warhol Collection; I had trouble trying to copy the images, so I did my best with two, and did not share the others. In the "Silent Film Era" and through the next couple of decades, it was a fellow named Hal Phyfe who did what scant artwork appeared on 78rpm recordings, but he was very sought after for portraits to be used in all things Promotional and for Sheet Music. He did a lot of work w/ the Women singers and Actresses of the era, often w/ hand painted color, which was usual for the time.

This is an oversized Portrait of Mr. Vallee signed by the photographer (which is in RED, this image was sent with the signature as you see it). This image was later used for many things; those I have listed, and fan club photos, and for the executives at the roughly (8) recording and Publishing Companies Mr. Vallee was involved with by 1929. I have tried to make it as close to the original as I could, to give an idea how this particular and relatively obscure larger piece would compare to an ordinary 8 x 10" photo. This was the image sent to me.

I realize it is light years from Crass and the Fun Boy Three to Rudy Vallee - yet this gentleman DID a great deal that is now largely unknown and overlooked; who he knew and helped, and what advances were made by this fellow wanting better quality sound to end up in people's living rooms on their Gramophones. I have some pretty weird candid shots I obtained from those who knew him best; and some hinted that he Partied Like It Was 1899. :D
Attachments
RUDY VALLEE Hal Phyfe signed Photograph 1929
RUDY VALLEE Hal Phyfe signed Photograph 1929
RUDY VALLEE Hal Phyfe signed Photograph 1929.jpg (192.87 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Certain examples of Sheet Music are simply nicer than others; oftentimes, Hymns and Gospel Music are relatively sparse when the Artwork is considered; they were copies to be used over and over again by the congregation, and subject to little ones chewing the corners or any number of ways of destruction, and color was not cheap; yet special Hymns or hymns of a given season may be quite ornate.

Here is "Daddy Long Legs" - "dedicated" to Mary Pickford; at one time perhaps the most well known and photographed woman of her era. I chose this because of the quality, preservation and level of detail; this copy cost 50 cents in 1919. You may recognize the play that was later made into a movie a generation or so later.

Such Sheet Music is a treat; there is always an address given to write for the complete Catalogue; No Telephone; life was slower and more time to work, and to play. Playing these old discs properly, caring for them, cleaning the disc chosen, winding up the gramophone, making certain the needle is new; all these things often takes more time than the record plays! There is something about that I find very relaxing and peaceful; no plethora of "BEEPING" gadgets, just enjoying a lovely summer's day. (The upper right hand corner shows more of the "true" color; almost every type of Protective Plastic is affected by the light; and it is difficult to reproduce the image I see onto the computer; they are never quite as nice, it seems; my equipment is simply not good enough to reproduce the images any better that what you see).
Attachments
SHEET MUSIC _Daddy Long Legs" dedicated to Mary Pickford 1919
SHEET MUSIC _Daddy Long Legs" dedicated to Mary Pickford 1919
SHEET MUSIC _dedicated to Mary Pickford_ 695 904.jpg (311.25 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
Paracelsus