Spoken word recordings - California late 1960s/early 1970s

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Hello,
Bit of an odd request.
I am looming for spoken word records capturing the voice of California 1968-1972 ish.
I could go outside of that for the right content
I'm looking for something that SAYS California in a Californian accent and or making references to California or the times...

Any pointers appreciated.
Heavy Tourism
ro
Known user

Re: Spoken word recordings - California late 1960s/early 197

Post by ro »

Hiya, I can't help but am curious what your project is.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

The end result is a long long way off ...
But if it comes together you can be assured that you'll get fed up of me going on about it on here.
In the meantime ...
Its the second 'part' of this ... what i hope might be a quadriphology.
https://crossroadsofsabbath.wordpress.c ... he-warpig/
Heavy Tourism
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

These "Spoken Word Recordings" are immensely diverse; but the closest and likely the best example I can recall is one recorded in California called "The Groupies". This was originally released in 1969 w/ an insert, and in a dark blue cover with a foil component; even a sealed copy is relatively difficult to read; it was re-released in the late 1970's; and a very recent re-release is available; I saw the "stars" of the LP discuss their exploits on some "forgotten" television program many years later, with additions in a CD form; I did not obtain this, but do have an original release I purchased sealed which is exactly what it purports to be; (who did who, who did The Who, Stones, et cetera and anyone else who was "In") and all of it with the correct verbiage and colloquialisms for the area & era; Interviews of "Groupies" and their (apparently) favorite Hobby.

All of the other Spoken Word LPs I have are not even close to your request.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Nice one semi,
Its on Discogs - will be checking that out. It could be perfect.
Heavy Tourism
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

No problem; since I enjoy History AND Recordings, these "Spoken Word Recordings", regardless of date, are almost always interesting in some way or other, and I've collected them for a long time. Actually, the variety & sheer number of these is staggering. The earliest are Bakelite Cylinders, in singles and Sets; then single sided Shellacs, then single 10" & 12" Shellacs, Booklet Albums of Shellacs, along with LPs - even singles, and of course Box Sets in 7", 10", and 12" discs from all over the World. Some are extraordinarily Beautifully packaged, with hardwood boxes and velvet linings. I hope "The Groupies" will be helpful for your project.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

sorry for the dumb question but could you not use recording of the beat poets- ginsberg, kerouac etc although that would be the 50s...though i'm not sure when recordings came as ginsberg, for example toured... as i said, dumb question! good luck! sorry i couldn't be any help!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another Idea came to mind which may be useful to you.
The last time I was in Hospital, I had to endure a "Film" called "Valley Girl", until the remote for the television was found; I did notice, however, that clearly an effort was taken to spend sufficient screen time to show off the peculiar "speech" of the late 1960's to 1970's California Valley Girl; and it seems reasonable with so much time taken to share with the audience the colloquialisms and vocabulary, that editing the sound of this film and similar films could yield a sort of "Spoken Word Recording"; but truly, the only example of which I am aware that fulfilled the criteria you listed was the LP I suggested.

Good Luck!
Paracelsus