For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

We've had a retrospective look back at the favs of 2015, but what are people looking forward to this year. Hopefully there will be some stuff listed that I didn't know anything about. For me, off the top of my head:

Britta Phillips album- Dom for Great Pop Supplement - who is just releasing a new Dean & Britta 7" - mentioned that Britta's album is out in April. Really looking forward to this!

Steven Mason album - out in Feb according to his latest FB post.

The Cult album - another Feb release. The track they released yesterday, Hinterland, sounds great.

Lush new EP. Got the Chorus box set for Xmas, and listening to this as got me excited for new Lush material.

The Early Years new album - announced last year on FB that they've finished recording it. Their debut was released in 2006 (really that long ago?!), and was fantastic. Wonder what album number 2 is going to sound like?

Primal Scream - didn't like the last one, but they change their style with every release so who knows...

High Violets - new album out soon. Love their dreamy sound.

Airiel - another second album that seems to be years in the making.

Oi Polloi - new album. love a bit of hardcore punk. These guys have been going for years and never disappoint!

Gulp - loved their first album, and they've been in the studio recently recording stuff for their new album. Ace!

Spiritualized ...... well, we can hope! :-)

Ste
stegraham
Known user

Re: 2016

Post by stegraham »

Sennen - I knew I had forgotten one - these guys have a new long player out in Feb, and the single released before Xmas sounded good.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

David Bowie: Blackstar - Should be receiving my copy soon.
Suede: Night Thoughts - This comes out in the U.S. at the end of the month. Pretty psyched. The first single is fantastic.
Primal Scream: Chaosmosis - I loved More Light, so I'm very much looking forward to this.
Ride: I'm hoping they are in the studio right now, but who knows
Slowdive: I figured their new album would be out last year. Surely it's coming very soon.
Super Furry Animals: With tour dates lined up on the west coast of the US next month and in the UK in April, I'm assuming that last year's reunion wasn't just a cash grab and that they're going to put out a new record.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Yeah, new material from Ride and Slowdive would be most welcome! Didn't know about the SFA gigs, thought they were concentrating on the various solo projects - great stuff if they are back together doing stuff as a proper band.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm definitely on board with new Slowdive and Ride albums too! I think the former are nearly finished, so it should be this year. with Ride, I think they are still unsure about doing new stuff.

apart from the obvious (Spiritualized, which surely should arrive sometime in 2016?) there's not a huge amount coming up that I am really excited about.
I am interested to hear new stuff early in the year from Swans, Explosions In The Sky, Randga, and Chris Forsyth. also really hoping a new Comets on Fire album comes out soon. they have definitely been working on one.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

My attempts will be to continue what I have been doing for 40+ years, to find those elusive releases I do not yet have, and "New" pieces I am not yet aware of; a LIST would be superfluous for me; there is still so much I enjoy (and that I am aware of), that I wouldn't know where to start really, although I have been finding many interesting French releases post WW2 through the late 1960's that I enjoy, but I've not yet had time to share their images or other info.

I am certainly going to find and obtain (spare) Sealed Copies of my "favorites", as well as recordings "representative of their year or era"; the price of these continues to rise with the decreasing value of currency, and this adds an element of urgency. Early 78rpm recordings with emphasis on Jazz from the mid teens and 1920's, and all manner of "experimental" pieces that were usually Test Pressings and Private Releases that the Artist was more interested in than their Record Labels were! When some of the GREATEST pieces have been Varése 78rpm and recordings from countries which no longer exist, I keep my eyes open.

I especially keep a lookout on what Users are finding, for as much as I enjoy the serenity of the Woodlands, it is difficult to keep up with so much music - especially when so much is muck.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus