Brexit and record buying

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runcible
Site Admin

Brexit and record buying

Post by runcible »

I'll say now I am a remainer - for various reasons - in terms of the EU vote.

I knew the outcome would steadily affect various things but the first impact it had on me was buying music. I subscribe to the Grateful Dead's 'Dave's Pick's' series. Lovely packaged CD box sets, all numbered and collectable. I have received 2 this year and 2 weeks ago the 3rd arrived, except I got a card from the post office telling me I had £11.79 worth of charges to pay. Eh? The CDs are valued at $25 per set. Then I realised that the pound is worth so little that this parcel zoomed into the category where duty was payable. On just $25? That is crazy. This means it is now impossible to buy any music from the USA and not pay any duty as VAT is charged on P+P too.

The idea that I can no longer order any music from America is pretty depressing. The P+P charges were already going a little silly, now a year's subscription to Dave's Picks will cost me close to an extra £50 a year. For a series worth $100.

Boo!
Greeny
Known user

Re: Brexit and record buying

Post by Greeny »

Oh well, wait until Trump gets in and the dollar tanks and it'll be happy days again...
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Greeny wrote:Oh well, wait until Trump gets in and the dollar tanks and it'll be happy days again...
Could it really happen :?: :shock:
'Remember, change is not good'
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Tell me about it. I've recently been told that charges at the pressing plants have gone up by 6% due to Brexit. 6% may not seem al lot but my label only does pressing of 250-300 copies per record and that price increase could be the difference of breaking even or not.

From a record buyers point of view, like you say, the postage costs from the US had already rocketed so I have to be very choosy about any records I buy there.

:( :shock: :roll: :twisted:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

BVCP206 wrote: Could it really happen :?: :shock:
Never underestimate the stupidity and the selfishness of the average American...
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Not quite sure where they got £11.27 charge from as the duty rate on CDs is 0%. Even if duty was chargeable then it would have been around 4% (very little goods are over this). You likely have been charged import VAT but this would've been 20% of the value declared $25(?) and the postage. The amount you've been charged seems a little high. Surprising that the Post Office has picked up this, I think you've been unlucky there. If the sender sent it by DHL, TNT etc then I doubt you would've been charged anything as they would've sent it straight through (they play by different rules those guys). Next time ask the supplier to undervalue the goods and that way it should go through without getting picked up.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

toomilk wrote:
Never underestimate the stupidity and the selfishness of the average American...

hey! watch it, us brits are just as dumb- wanna be part of the world or isolated. isolated so we don't have to send money to brussels so that they can buy tea!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

rapideye wrote:Not quite sure where they got £11.27 charge from as the duty rate on CDs is 0%. Even if duty was chargeable then it would have been around 4% (very little goods are over this). You likely have been charged import VAT but this would've been 20% of the value declared $25(?) and the postage. The amount you've been charged seems a little high. Surprising that the Post Office has picked up this, I think you've been unlucky there. If the sender sent it by DHL, TNT etc then I doubt you would've been charged anything as they would've sent it straight through (they play by different rules those guys). Next time ask the supplier to undervalue the goods and that way it should go through without getting picked up.
VAT is payable in the UK on goods with a value over £15 - not duty - and that is what I was charged. Of course a hefty part of the £11.79 payable is the £8 'handling charge' the post office adds - no way around that. So I haven't been overcharged - just ripped off.

As or speaking to the supplier - the Dead's web site is absolutely terrible at customer service. They sent previous parcels in the worst packaging I have ever seen and the CD housing got damaged. When I pointed this out to them they didn't give a shit.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

runcible wrote:
As or speaking to the supplier - the Dead's web site is absolutely terrible at customer service. They sent previous parcels in the worst packaging I have ever seen and the CD housing got damaged. When I pointed this out to them they didn't give a shit.
Fucking Hippies. :shock:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Yep steep handling charge especially considering how much you owed. Legalised extortion even. It will make quite a difference if it becomes the norm. A nice little money spinner for the Post Office. Fallout from brexit is going to be like death from a thousand cuts.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Runcible,

Why not send funds to friends here - I'm certain there are many in the USA, including myself, who would send your Grateful Dead CDs? The Set/ Collection is very nice, and surely there is a better way.

There are too many Taxes in the UK. Now the EU wants Ireland to play tax collector; despite the short term drop in the £, I can see why people in other countries also want out. I spoke to a fellow from Poland who said he saw the EU as a weak Soviet-like entity, "technocrats and controllers".

Is EVERY item over a certain "value" subject to this (seemingly) regressive Tax? I honestly don't know; I have been accidently "billed" with assorted taxes, but they were always removed.

In 2014, I bought a sealed copy of a UK Pressing of "Eclection" for £50 in a small shop in the UK; they added £10 VAT, and £12 for some "nameless tax"; plus £10 for a very well packaged box & extras that would ensure a safe ride for this great copy of an obscure LP I buy spares of. When I messaged them, they removed the 2 taxes. Was the 2nd "tax with no name" a real tax? an error maybe? They must have first thought I was under this tax, like I lived in the UK or EU I suppose; I wish I'd kept the paperwork, but I have reduced my sea of excess paper to a small paper lake; what could THAT tax have been?

The falling value of the dollar has made it like pricey toilet paper. From week to week I watch common foods and beverages increase at a ridiculous amount. The £ will recover; but I know short term it is a mess, and I am sorry for all this exit was not better planned. German recordings and shipping are so ridiculous I buy from Austria when it is possible. If you are buying NEW sealed releases, buy from Argentina. Very reasonable. This includes UK CD discs and assorted European LP Pressings.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

semisynthetic wrote: Runcible,

Why not send funds to friends here - I'm certain there are many in the USA, including myself, who would send your Grateful Dead CDs? The Set/ Collection is very nice, and surely there is a better way.
That plan is now in action, but thank you.

As for us being better out of the EU I won't get into it big time. But remember that potentially in the future we will have to pay tax on loads of things we buy from EU members - which we don't at the moment - and that includes music I remain a 'remainer'...