New interview with Jason Pierce

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

heisenberg
Known user

New interview with Jason Pierce

Post by heisenberg »

TheWarmth
Known user

Re: New interview with Jason Pierce

Post by TheWarmth »

I read this this morning. It's sad to hear him talk about the new album as his last, but he's also saying that it's as good, if not better, than L&G, so I'm excited for it. Sounds like he's been working very hard on it - 12 hour days.
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

sad but not surprising about winding down the recording career (hopefully not the performing one)

as someone who never saw SP3, (just the will & sonic SP2 several years back), I have mixed feelings about the lack of a reunion tour. Wish J could have the money, wish I could see those songs live with enthusiasm, yet ultimately if their (his) souls aren't really into it, might as well turn off the lights, drink some wine and put on a boot from '88. I respect that he's not doing something, despite his legitimate desire for cash, and our collective desire to recapture something that so many missed.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Good to see the acerbic Pierce wit is undiminished...

Really looking forward to tomorrow evening now!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I thought his original metaphor relating the LAGWAFIS shows to taking orders in the catering industry, sounded more sincere and meaningful. However I'm glad he's currently so chipper, and I really hope all his hard work pays off.

It seems very logical to decide this will be the last Spiritualized album, if he genuinely feels that way. I'd much rather one more really impressive work, progressing the music evermore forwards, than another three or four albums of mixed quality content.

I totally respect the decision to ignore temptations to force some contrived form of Spacemen 3 reunion. I'm guessing it's probably Coachella at least partly behind that, as they seem to have deeper pockets than most regular promotors. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine that a UK tour of a "reunited" Pete, Jason and anonymous session players titled spuriously as Spacemen 3, would be a significantly bigger draw than the Spiritualized tour I expect to follow the next album release?

If I want to hear an approximation of Spacemen 3 live, there are plenty of recordings. I only have what's available to judge by, but from what I've heard - they rarely did justice to their recordings at live gigs. Far more impressive is a unique work such as the Watermans Arts Centre (name?) gig, which would be impossible to replicate today.

The whole reunion schtick is getting stale. Though I wasn't interested in seeing them, I understand why say The Happy Mondays reformed to tour. But then Black Grape reformed? The epitome of the one-hit wonder! I guess the nostalgia market is more lucrative than I realised.

Whilst I don't go to many gigs these days, I was a keen live music consumer in my younger days. I was lucky to live near a gone-but-not-forgotten historic local venue, with a lax admissions policy and run as a co-op / non-profit back then too. Most of the bands I went to see in my mid-to-late teens onwards were anonymous and it wasn't unusual to see a great gig played to a small crowd. Most bands I saw, that was the first time I heard their music ... and often the last time too. Other bands were so popular, they'd play two nights in succession, despite barely making an impression with poor record sales.

In looking back to such days, I still want to go out and enjoy live music in the same way - ie something new, interesting, unexpected, challenging. To paraphrase Tony Soprano - "remember when... " is the lowest form of conversation, it's easy to make and thoroughly predictable. The same goes for the nostalgia music circuit - if I want a decent reminder of what in my youth gave and drove my own passion to hear, play, write, and write about music, as I have done over the years: I need to go hear something that sounds both fresh and interesting.

If Jason must play an entire album from start to finish - surely the best candidate is the most recent? Hearing SHSL live before the release was probably the most effective promotional device for a new album I've encountered. I hope folks going enjoy the two Barbican gigs, plus I hope Jason gets enough out of them to really give it the beans - in respect of making the next Spiritualized album the best it can possibly be!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

It sounds to me like the arduous task of recording and mixing the new Spiritualized album has drained J. to the point where he can't even fathom starting the process all over again. I've experienced the same thing, on a smaller scale, when working on albums. I doubt he's really going to throw in the towel after this one, but if he does, I'll respect that decision.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

TheWarmth wrote:It sounds to me like the arduous task of recording and mixing the new Spiritualized album has drained J. to the point where he can't even fathom starting the process all over again. I've experienced the same thing, on a smaller scale, when working on albums. I doubt he's really going to throw in the towel after this one, but if he does, I'll respect that decision.
That's an excellent point. I'm heartened to know Jason is currently working so hard on the next album.

Given the stories about aborted sessions in Spain and changes in production personnel - I'm really pleased he has been in the privileged artistic position to make changes based on artistic concerns. I'm impressed Jason can still muster such comprehensive backing for his latest endeavour, given the current harsh economic climate affecting most musicians recording and preparing new material for public consumption.

I suspect you're right about the reasons for making reference to throwing the proverbial towel in. However if this is the last opportunity Jason has to create a full album of Spiritualized material, I'm just even more keen than ever to hear the final product - after reading such a revealing interview!

I understand that the breadth and scope of musical ambition that has underscored every Spiritualized recording released so far, may not seem realistic in respect of recording further material - at this point in time, given that the recording of the current album in the works has clearly been forced to overcome some hurdles, both logistical and artistic.

If Jason feels he won't be able to do justice to the Spiritualized cannon in the future, I respect that. It doesn't mean he'll absent himself from creating new music in either the live or recorded spheres, it may mean we get something even better in the future, something as new and exciting as Lazer Guided Melodies was compared with the second half of Recurring. That sounds quite exciting to me!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Nice interview. I, agree if he says that it will be the last then better to him. Spend some time with his children and wife. He'll never reform SP3. Can't see him talking and/or playing with Pete again and so the money is moot at this point. Looking forward to the album.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I love this
The argument that gets thrown at me is people didn’t see it first time. But there’s a whole history of mankind and I wasn’t there for most of it.
Spencer
Known user

Post by Spencer »

I suppose we can hope that although it maybe the last Spiritualized record it wont be the last that Jason is involved in; free jazz and improv offshoots maybe (?)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Spencer wrote:I suppose we can hope that although it maybe the last Spiritualized record it wont be the last that Jason is involved in; free jazz and improv offshoots maybe (?)
I suspect that's very likely if this actually is the last ever Spiritualized album or recording project. Jason's broad scope of musical ambition for all his Spiritualized material has set the quality bar very high. As we know that comes at a cost, and everything I've ever read about his processes for recording Spiritualized albums, shows how dedicated he has been to properly realising his musical vision and making his records sound as good as possible.

I tend to agree with the suggestion made a few posts up, that just because Jason is saying right now that this will be the last Spiritualized album - the amount of energy needed to bring a project near to conclusion, and it sounds like this album has been particularly taxing with the changes in production personnel and other issues we've heard about, Jason may just feel like he's in no rush to start such a process all over again, as the intense amount of hard work involved in bringing your creative A-game to a satisfactory conclusion must become quite tiring!

If it really is the last album, I agree that doesn't preclude Jason exploring other interesting musical avenues - such as his free jazz and other side projects. That last collaboration with Primal Scream was absolutely top notch stuff! What made them choose such a commercial and uninspiring pop-house lightweight original track, I would love to know? But the RSD cover version sounded fantastic.

One thing I would want to see to tie up all his good Spiritualized work, is a final live album. Another Royal Albert Hall event with small orchestra and choir would make for a perfect canvas to document the amazing live work we've heard since 1998. Though if Tim Lewis is invited to contribute on keyboards - he needs a minder wielding a big finger-wacking stick, to keep his right hand well away from the top few octaves, as the last thing a documented live Spiritualized swansong needs is any more of his Holland-esque plinky-plonky piano hankey-panky ;)

I suspect it's too late now to reasonably expect anything official to be released from the original Acoustic Mainlines project, though I'm surprised no ambitious record label was keen enough to give it a try. Modern digital consoles and stageboxes allow a far cheaper route to sourcing high quality live multi-track recordings, compared with old school recording trucks and transformer-isolated splits from huge copper snakes.

I would love to hear another Acoustic Mainlines gig, in fact like last time I'd want to hear as many of them as possible. Maybe once all the touring and promotion for the forthcoming Spiritualized album is over, Jason could tour Acoustic Mainlines 2.0, which surely would be as big a draw second time round ... if Jason can fill another two nights at the Barbican for the nostalgia market, doesn't it shows how much interest there still is out there for various live concoctions Spaceman music?
Dave Chappelle
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

..the perfect encapsulated career
Attachments
6940969_orig.jpg
6940969_orig.jpg (159.59 KiB) Viewed 10540 times
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

If this is going to be the last album then the website might shut down ? Who is going to maintain and update it if the band no longer exists ?

Who would know this answer ?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

spacemanrich wrote:If this is going to be the last album then the website might shut down ? Who is going to maintain and update it if the band no longer exists ?

Which website?
Dave Chappelle
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

spacemanrich wrote:If this is going to be the last album then the website might shut down ? Who is going to maintain and update it if the band no longer exists ?

This forum is run, moderated and funded entirely outwith the band, so I guess as long as there was an interest it would continue.

Cheers to the other mods for keeping this alive!
O P 8
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Great interview- all the reasons I love J are well expressed. :D

Last album? I hope he's misinterpreting his own future. Can you ever really know when you're done? Music is a lifelong affliction I think. Not something you retire from.
The comment about working 12 hr days for a few weeks made me laugh. I haven't left the house for 3 years, never mind 3 weeks. Poor lamb :lol:

Really find it refreshing that he didn't take the massive money offer to reform SP3. So many people would have sold out. I agree with him, it's best left in the past. No point in going back. He should be focusing on where he is now. I say that, even though I am a massive SP3 fan. I never did get to see them live.

What else? Oh yeah, the whole L&G 'break up' record theme people always ask about... it must be so tedious. Who gives a shit really. As far as pain goes, heart ache is just the right amount to be creatively fruitful. Any real pain or tragedy tends to stop you dead in your tracks. So break ups are sort of perfect for easily accessible common denominator pain that people can relate to. I think there is a sort of healing power in his music and i think the stories he weaves around it is a good delivery system. A metaphor that can be applied to most situations. He crafts it so beautifully. People think he takes a long time with the records. Personally I think he's pretty fast, given the huge attention to detail.

Love you Jason. You're my hero!
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I hope he never returns to Spacemen 3 either, it's best left where it is. As a guy so in love with the whole rock 'n' roll mythology, I'm pretty sure he won't do it anyway.

And as for it being the last album, it doesn't necessarily mean he won't record again. Perhaps he is thinking about singles or eps?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

That's good to hear. Yeah, maybe he was just thinking about it. Daniel Craig said that the last Bond movie was his last and now their is hint that he still wants to continue the role.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I'm not taking his "last album" thing too seriously. It's a natural a thing to say when you've almost finished weeks and months and years of hard work, and the idea of doing it again sounds to daunting too contemplate - Brits, see Steve Redgrave after his fourth gold at the Olympics! I wouldn't be surprised if after touring, the music-making bug bites J again and he ends up back in the studio. Plus, more prosaically, what else is he going to do? By his own admission he's strapped for cash, and I can't imagine the thought of getting his possibly first "real" job at 51+ is particularly enticing :lol: Having said that, I reckon he'd be in serious demand as a record producer (like Sonic!); I gather Doggen makes a good living from production and session musician work...
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

To be honest, whilst I think he's long since been treading water with Spiritualized, I doubt its his last record. I do wish he'd start to push the boundaries a bit more. I was initially excited at the idea of him working with a producer again and much saddened when it wasn't to be. I think he needs someone new to push him.

as for the sp3 reunion, theres always the surprising thought that perhaps the others would need to be persuaded to do it also, and more importantly who else would it feature. I think the nearest you'll ever come to a SP3 reunion was the Hoxton bar and grill gig for natty, and despite Jason's many claims otherwise he was most certainly invited to play and chose not to. don't believe any of those claims he happened to not know about it, the venue was pretty much half a mile down the road from his house......
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I don't think it would take much to entice the others i.e. - Will Carruthers for a reunion, including Pete. For years he has been trying to mend ties w/ Jason. Even admitted that he shouldn't have formed Spectrum while SP3 was still active. J. will have no part of this charade. A bit funny that they would have a charity gig for Natty in Hoxton, though, as if done on purpose to entice Jason to play.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Will spoke of this on his recent book tour about whether he would ever do it if all hatchets were buried and they did it for genuine reasons (not money) but i think he eventually convinced himself it was a bad idea and he wouldn't be interested. Don't see him ever considering it...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I think they should take the money and play. Everyone could make amends for past wrongs and everyone could get paid. You never know they might finish the tour as friends :shock:

Although I can't fathom the idea of a Spacemen 3 tour being able to recoup that kind of money. How big would the venues need to be? Or how expensive would the tickets be?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I was gonna mention the James Bond comparison too! after any long gruelling project it always feels like you could never do it again.. then you mellow and get bored, and you're up for it again!

the thing is that Spiritualized albums are always some kind of big statement (for better or worse), I'm sure that Jason thinks where he could take it next.
doing stuff under his own name (or just doing EPs or whatever) would free him up a bit.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

andyblacktoo wrote:...as for the sp3 reunion, theres always the surprising thought that perhaps the others would need to be persuaded to do it also, and more importantly who else would it feature. I think the nearest you'll ever come to a SP3 reunion was the Hoxton bar and grill gig for natty, and despite Jason's many claims otherwise he was most certainly invited to play and chose not to. don't believe any of those claims he happened to not know about it, the venue was pretty much half a mile down the road from his house......
Yeah Andy, always with the edgy Jason accusations:

I can't think of any (let alone "many") claims by Jason wasn't "invited" to the gig, no matter how close to his home the show was held...

Half a mile you say? Now you're stalking...

In fact someone who attended the show mentioned this back in July 2010, when Jason was actually in NYC: rehearsing prior to the Radio City Music Hall L&G gig:

"Someone on another forum says: (I was talking to Dean - the dude who was roadie-ing - before the gig. I don't think anyone actually bothered to invite Jason Pierce... ha ha hahahahahah)."

If in any doubt of J's thoughts about Natty, you could always just read his beautiful eulogy via his instagram... although that would never fit with your own weirdly biased narrative.
O P 8
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

I know zero about the Natty gig situation but I agree with the treading water comment.

I like the past few albums quite a bit, this is my favorite band. But nothing has really blown my mind like some of his earlier material. Each album has a couple great tunes but overall I hear a lot of filler and very little that surprises me. The lord and fire songs gotta go.

So if he decides to hang up the guitar after this I will be disappointed but he's already given me more than enough music that I'll enjoy until I'm walking with Jesus...or with all my friends
walkman
New user

Post by walkman »

"To be honest I was never asked. I never knew about the show, so it wasn't a case of not wanting to be involved, I didn't even know it was there to be involved."

https://www.skiddle.com/news/all/Spirit ... ne-/26123/
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

The new album will be released on Bella Union according to Simon Raymonde's post on facebook
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Jason's music is his art. This is where his head and heart are at musically and lyrically.
Sometimes records come out that really take a while to appreciate.
Take a look at the recent Let It Come Down thread. That took what, 15 years?
He also came up with those Kenzo Men's & Women's tracks. Same guy. Lots of creatively in that well I think.
Of course there is also the live stuff like this beauty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se36DMN ... ture=share
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)