Mary Chain - Amputation

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, spzretent, BzaInSpace, runcible

Mary Chain - Amputation

Postby Ian » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:28 pm

That will do nicely. Nothing stunning, no massive divergence from their usual template, but sounds pretty great to me.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Ian
Known user

Re: Mary Chain - Amputation

Postby burningwheel » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:11 pm

01 Amputation (not new)
02 War On Peace (not new)
03 All Things Pass (not new)
04 Always Sad (new?)
05 Song For A Secret (not new)
06 The Two Of Us (not new)
07 Los Feliz (Blues and Greens) (new?)
08 Mood Rider (not new)
09 Presidici (Et Chapaquiditch) (new?)
10 Get On Home (not new)
11 Facing Up To The Facts (not new)
12 Simian Split (new?)
13 Black And Blues (not new)
14 Can’t Stop The Rock (not new)
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
burningwheel
Known user

Postby niamhm » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:08 am

I was buzzing to hear a new `Chain song today and wasn`t disappointed at all, looking forward to a new album :)
niamhm
Known user

Postby spacemanrich » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:00 pm

So what are you saying BurningWheel ? That the forthcoming album isn't exactly, " new " ?
spacemanrich
Known user

Postby burningwheel » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Kinda, reinterpretations of older songs/projects...but i still think it will great! :)
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
burningwheel
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:48 pm

UK tour dates announced
http://thequietus.com/articles/21473-je ... -tour-2017

new song is.. okay.

so the album has largely been repurposed from solo tunes? if I am understanding right. this never works when bands try to do it!
angelsighs
Known user

Postby burningwheel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:19 pm

burningwheel
Known user

Postby burningwheel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:20 pm

burningwheel
Known user

Postby sunray » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Damage and Joy has leaked. Couldn't resist a listen.
I'm an uber JAMC fan but with low expectations for this LP so I was filled with a mixture of trepidation, fear and hope. To be fair Amputation had me feeling more positive and upbeat and thinking that it could at least equal the Sister Vanilla album, which it does and more.

Off the top of my head it's the best reformation album i've ever heard. That's not to say its perfect though, the production is a bit off and William only sings half a song and does a few backing vocals which is a bit odd. Would've liked more of his voice, especially on his own songs but minor quibbles really. Jim reclaims his place as the coolest man in rock. There is simply no one better at moaning/groaning/ahhing/awwwing 8) :D

Plenty of good moments; Get On Home is reminiscent of their Reverberation (Doubt) cover, War On Peace sounding very BJM :lol: , Facing Up To The Facts teetering on the edge of Sidewalking, opening with Amputation and closing with Can't Stop The Rock which is a song that still brings a tear to the eye and lump in the throat :oops:

I'm on my third listen already today.
I'm losing my edge, but I was there...
sunray
Known user

Postby Ian » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:52 pm

Sunray - is your leaked copy just one long mp3? Not the easiest thing to navigate through! (No guilt about tracking it down, I've already got the album on pre-order.)

I think it's... good enough. I've not kept up with the brothers' solo careers, so the reused tracks are new to me. Perhaps I would have been less keen on Amputation if I already knew it, but I didn't, and I think it's one of the highlights. There's lots to appreciate here, and I'm enjoying it a lot... They certainly haven't disgraced themselves, but I'm not hugely excited by it. I expect it'll be raised up a notch live, and I am excited by the prospect of seeing them next month.

But when the Sister Vanilla tracks come on, it just sends me back to the originals. I've always thought that Little Pop Rock is fantastic, and Can't Stop The Rock is a little tame on the new album. I love the drunken barely together feel of much of LPR, and I miss the "Have we finished? No? Shall I try and play a bit more? Like this? OK, I give up!" feel of the original. (Same with JAMColas - I wouldn't have any problem with them ressurrecting that or What Goes Around for the live shows.)
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Ian
Known user

Postby sunray » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:21 pm

Mine is all individual tracks, i too have the lp pre-ordered.

I understand you not been hugely excited by it, it's a solid album rather than stellar. Personally i'm delighted that it's actually decent and withstanding repeated listens. I do feel the guitars need to be more forward in the mix though, they sound a little held back on the faders instead of pushing them up (says the production genius :lol: ).

Also looking forward to catching them in Glasgow and Dublin in the next couple of weeks. I really hope they play a good chunk of the album rather than rely on a greatest hits set.

With regard to the Sister Vanilla songs I like both versions of Can't Stop The Rock, I really wish the end bit on the new version would go on and on. In saying that i'm not keen on the new take of The Two Of Us, it just doesn't really catch.
Yeah, What Goes Around would be great to hear live.
sunray
Known user

Postby James T » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:59 pm

I agree about ti being the best reformation LP in recent memory, very enjoyable despite being nothing particularly new. I don't know the original versions of any of these tracks, but they all stand up well here to me! Second listen today, looking forward to the tour.
James T
Known user

Postby niamhm » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:59 pm

Only knew All Things Must Pass of the songs here myself, just couldn`t be arsed with the Reids scrappy recordings I heard on the old MySpace, but I think it's great after a few plays, hangs a lot better as an album than Munki to my ears some great little detail touches scattered right throughout, I have pre ordered it but I couldn`t stop myself from having a listen, looking forward to hearing some of it played live on Friday night now.
niamhm
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:05 pm

will check this album out now on your recommendations, guys. if hardened Mary Chain fans are saying it's worth investigating, it must be!
angelsighs
Known user

Postby Aquarian-Time » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Picked this up yesterday at an unamed record shop who shouldn't sell it until tomorrow !! Will give it a spin tonight in readiness for Saturdays gig
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Postby Aquarian-Time » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:29 am

Well I think this is a bloody good album all tings considered. Side A is absolutely fantastic. Setlist looks good from last nights show, so Saturday should be a blast
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Postby sunray » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:03 am

Glasgow :D 8) They are not fucking about.

Probably a full report in a couple of days when I get home.
sunray
Known user

Postby toomilk » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:28 am

I listened to it on my long drive today. I like it. A few songs sounded like newer bands influenced by JAMC (e.g. Crocodiles).I Spotified it ( :oops: ), but will definitely purchase it when I'm back home.
toomilk
Known user

Postby spacemanrich » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:22 pm

New album by the J&MC sounds pretty good. Impression on just the first listen. As well, working on the pc while listening to the album. " Song for a Secret " stopped me on my tracks. Sounds just like Hope Sandoval, but saw in the liner notes it was Isobel Campbell. Is she the one in Belle et Sebastian ?
spacemanrich
Known user

Postby niamhm » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Just putting this out there because there is so much shitty vinyl about, but this pressing is superb, so good, loud, clear on the bass and treble and zero surface noise/scratching or popping, it really is a treat to listen to, I got the `indie shop orange vinyl version` how is anybody else finding it, listened to my Sweet Heart Sweet Light white vinyl earlier today, shocking on some tracks, forgot how bad it was.
niamhm
Known user

Return to Music (Dedicated to Fuzzhead)