NEW RIDE

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, spzretent, BzaInSpace, runcible

NEW RIDE

Postby MODLAB » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:28 pm

I know it will probably not hit many here.

It's growing on me after a couple of listens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5gBOlO ... e=youtu.be
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Re: NEW RIDE

Postby spacemanrich » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks for sharing that Modlab. I like the song. I need a few more listens to really appreciate it, though.
spacemanrich
Known user

Postby MODLAB » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:45 pm

spacemanrich wrote:Thanks for sharing that Modlab. I like the song. I need a few more listens to really appreciate it, though.

Very welcome, spacemanrich! I have to say I like it more and more... looking forward to the album now.
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Postby niamhm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:41 pm

Listening to it now for the 3rd time and I`m quite relieved that it seems really good, way better than I expected tbh :) The guitar part`s quality.
niamhm
Known user

Postby TheWarmth » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:14 am

The instrumental bridge section is great. I hope they have some material on the album that's heavier than this, but I dig it.
TheWarmth
Known user

Postby Laz69 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:12 am

TheWarmth wrote:The instrumental bridge section is great. I hope they have some material on the album that's heavier than this, but I dig it.

When i was listening to it last night, thts the only thing i was waiting for... a real heavy effects freakout. I thought they could have dropped that into this track and it would have just been the icing on the cake, but i agree, its better than those songs that were floating about at the end of last year.
Laz69
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:27 am

sad to say it's doing nothing for me. there are certain elements I like (the spiralling guitar in the verses, the middle section) but on the whole it's a little cheesy (especially the chorus)

the drums don't sound like Loz at all!!.. I guess a straight ahead rocker does't really give him a chance to show off his awesome drum fills.

fair enough for them for trying something a little new at least. I am sure the whole album won't sound like this.

it's really tricky for a band to come back after decades and live up to the expectations of new material. I cast my mind back to similar sinking feelings when I first heard Love is Noise (which I've grown to rather like now, if not love) and All For One (which I still hate)
angelsighs
Known user

Postby Aquarian-Time » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:16 am

This is the 2nd new one they played at Brighton last year. It's ok, sounds better when turned right up.
Dont love it, but like it
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Postby MODLAB » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Postby angelsighs » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:55 am

that ones a bit better but still nothing amazing. it sounds a bit like Mark Gardener's work with Robin Guthrie. dreamy guitars.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby niamhm » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:44 pm

I`m liking both new tunes, nice of variation in both, nothing new in them really but you do want them still to sound like Ride, my pc is linked to an amp and some speakers and after cranking the sound up a bit I`m looking forward to the album,
niamhm
Known user

Postby sunray » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:02 pm

Both tunes are alright but need an injection of dirt to elevate them. At the moment they're far too clean sounding.

So far I think they might be bottom of the pile in comparison to the new Mary Chain and Slowdive songs. Still, looking forward to their Dublin gig in a few weeks.
I'm losing my edge, but I was there...
sunray
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:34 pm

yeah the new songs definitely need a bit more oomph. I've set my expectations fairly low on the new material front and think I'm gonna keep it that way. a pessimist is never disappointed!
angelsighs
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:42 am

The new songs are growing on me .. a little.

They are playing Manchester on July 11th
angelsighs
Known user

Postby natty » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:39 pm

I like them both. "Charm Assault" took two or three listens to grow on me, still think the drums need some reverb on them, but it's a good song, I found it going round my head the next day at work.

"Home is a Feeling" is much more like the classic sound, love that about it, but I think it's possibly the weaker of the two, despite giving me all the feels the first time I heard it.

Looking forward to hearing the new album, although not as much as the Slowdive one. I thought "Star Roving" was tremendous.
natty
Known user

Postby TheWarmth » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:57 pm

"Home Is A Feeling" is tremendous. Love that track. "Charm Assault," a little less so. I think it could have been more aggressive, but I'm very much looking forward to this record. I hope they announce details soon (same goes for Slowdive).
TheWarmth
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:55 pm

I'd agree that the new Slowdive track is far superior. the production on that one is spot on. modern sounding but still with all the swirly guitars. whereas I think a big problem with the Ride ones comes from the production. very dry. and Loz doesn't sound like Loz!! sacriledge.

the Ride tunes have grown on me a *little* though.

they played another new track at the Irish gigs called 'All I Want'.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby natty » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:37 pm

Live version of a new track called "Lannoy Point" doing the rounds on social media today is really good.

Think they've still got it, tbh, and am really looking forward to the album now.
natty
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:10 am

natty wrote:Live version of a new track called "Lannoy Point" doing the rounds on social media today is really good.

Think they've still got it, tbh, and am really looking forward to the album now.

agree that Lannoy Point is a cracker. best of the new tunes I've heard. got a nice sleek krautrock feel as they glide over that beat. I thought it was really cool how they walked on stage to an ambient loop, then start building the song over that.

watched their 6music festival set, as well as the Mary Chain- both were sounding on great form.

I was a bit blase about seeing Ride again as tbh I don't think they can top the Oxford and Manchester gigs. however now there's new tunes in the mix I'm keen to catch them again as it will be a different experience. can't make it to Manchester so I hope there's other dates later in the year.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby TheWarmth » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:58 am

TheWarmth
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:54 am

hmm another curates egg of a song. I like the rhythm track and the drums (good to hear Loz sound like Loz) but that intro is so cheesy. I listened to the song on youtube and when it started I thought it was an advert that was playing before the song started.

I hope Lannoy Point sounds good on record. it sounds like this could be an album where there are good songs but the production is doing them no favours at all.

oh and my wish for another gig near me has been answered. they are playing Oxford New Theatre which is great as I can just get the train. it's a seated gig which will be a bit strange though.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby MODLAB » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:16 am

I like it... The intro sounded cheesy at first but I totally get it.

sighs — pre-release for a special London gig went onside this morning if you purchased the new album from their site.

M
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Postby angelsighs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:47 pm

MODLAB wrote:I like it... The intro sounded cheesy at first but I totally get it.

sighs — pre-release for a special London gig went onside this morning if you purchased the new album from their site.

M

yeah saw that... unfortunately can't make that London show. you've just reminded me I need to pre-order the album though. you get some signed prints with it, which presumably you only get when you order directly from them.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby niamhm » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:34 am

Not too sure about that one, listened about 6 times now and still a bit ... I see they`re supporting Mogwai at the Glasgow Hydro on 16th Dec, at £37 I thought it was a bit steep for Mogwai but add Ride as support and its looking better,
niamhm
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:29 am

niamhm wrote:Not too sure about that one, listened about 6 times now and still a bit ... I see they`re supporting Mogwai at the Glasgow Hydro on 16th Dec, at £37 I thought it was a bit steep for Mogwai but add Ride as support and its looking better,

that's a really good pairing isn't it? very good at that price.

not sure how Mogwai would come across in a big venue though tbh
angelsighs
Known user

Postby MODLAB » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:38 am

angelsighs wrote:
niamhm wrote:Not too sure about that one, listened about 6 times now and still a bit ... I see they`re supporting Mogwai at the Glasgow Hydro on 16th Dec, at £37 I thought it was a bit steep for Mogwai but add Ride as support and its looking better,

that's a really good pairing isn't it? very good at that price.

not sure how Mogwai would come across in a big venue though tbh

I wen to see The Cure when and Mogwai opened up for them. They sounded quite grand if I remember correctly.

M
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Postby niamhm » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:42 am

I`ve been thinking that myself, it`ll be the biggest gig they`ve done in Glasgow, it should be good as long as the volume is loud enough.
niamhm
Known user

Return to Music (Dedicated to Fuzzhead)