Brown Rice

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Wensbree
New user

Brown Rice

Post by Wensbree »

Came across this 1975 track by Don Cherry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls1ddrT7HPc

Inspiration for PP Electric Mainline maybe?
Bon Ronham
Known user

Re: Brown Rice

Post by Bon Ronham »

Oh yes...
RoboHobo
Known user

Post by RoboHobo »

Great find. I like this a lot.
Wensbree
New user

Post by Wensbree »

Glad people like it; one of the YT comments says the melody is based on a mantra. I don't know if that's true but it has something. Someone on the site said that Jason's music has a healing quality to it, and the best of it definitely does for me.
a beautiful shonn
Known user

Post by a beautiful shonn »

yeah great find! thx for posting...
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Thanks for posting this, it's beautiful! I already have and enjoy Don Cherry's "Organic Music Society" and love his work on Lou Reed's "The Bells", so I've just bought the "Brown Rice" album as well. It's going down very well so far...

This also made me do a search for "brown rice electric mainline" to see if anybody else had noticed this, and up came a 1997 interview where J says that he'd heard Brown Rice, but only after writing Electric Mainline. He describes this coincidence as "convergence" and mentions a Cluster track that also sounds like EM - time to hunt that down!

Related nostalgic anecdote: my earliest forays onto the internet were in my first year of uni (1998); just after buying Brian Eno's "Discreet Music" I found an intriguing Spiritualized interview online. One part of it stuck in my mind and has stayed there ever since: the writer compared the string arrangement in "Broken Heart" to the process music versions of "Pachebel's Canon in D" on side 2 of "Discreet Music", a similarity I'd noticed myself a week or so before. I've never seen said comparison in print anywhere else, so tonight was my second encounter with that interview nearly 20 years on :)

https://indieethos.wordpress.com/tag/don-cherry/

(despite the url tag, it really is a Spz interview, I promise!)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I think this is the Electric Mainline-like Cluster track J refers to in the interview I posted above... thoughts?

mc
Known user

Post by mc »

...and going forwards in time, I reckon the chaps fae Doves had Electric Mainline in mind when writing this 2009 track :wink:

(it's a pretty good song, mind...)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

mc wrote:...and going forwards in time, I reckon the chaps fae Doves had Electric Mainline in mind when writing this 2009 track :wink:

Sounds like Swervedriver's later material...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mc wrote:...and going forwards in time, I reckon the chaps fae Doves had Electric Mainline in mind when writing this 2009 track :wink:

great song! great album in fact.

I can feel a 'songs that sound like Electric Mainline' compilation coming on...
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

angelsighs wrote:

great song! great album in fact.

I can feel a 'songs that sound like Electric Mainline' compilation coming on...
I have a huge soft spot for "The Last Broadcast", but never really got into anything else they did. Might give this album a whirl...
Wensbree
New user

Post by Wensbree »

Great research going on here!

Probably stating the obvious that some similarities with Terry Riley

I remember the Jason interview now re Eno/Broken Heart. I always wondered if that was why the bluesy harmonica intro is used, even when there are strings available e.g. RFH in November.

mc
Known user

Post by mc »

The plot thickens further! Was just listening to Alphastone's "Elasticated Waveband" on youtube, and four tracks in, the Brown Rice theme starts playing! It's faster tempo-wise, has a more rubber malleted marimba/vibraphone sound and the fifth note of the theme is pitched higher compared to the rest, but it's definitely there :) Have a listen (click through to 18:12 for "Space Blues" to hear it...)

herman
Known user

Post by herman »

In a weird way I think this one fits in ...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZXwJcc1u-I]
"Thank you"
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Bumpy bumpy bump time, but if anyone fancies an ambient/world music hour-long cover of "Brown Rice" and some tangential Electric Mainline vibes, this is what you need, and it's free to buy if you like :)

https://tuluumshimmering.bandcamp.com/album/brown-rice

(no, it's not me, i just love them)

Hope you've all had a good Xmas and are keeping as well as you can. 2020 can fuck right off, frankly...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

mc wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:44 am Bumpy bumpy bump time, but if anyone fancies an ambient/world music hour-long cover of "Brown Rice" and some tangential Electric Mainline vibes, this is what you need, and it's free to buy if you like :)

https://tuluumshimmering.bandcamp.com/album/brown-rice

(no, it's not me, i just love them)

Hope you've all had a good Xmas and are keeping as well as you can. 2020 can fuck right off, frankly...
Perfect - this is amazing! Thanks for this and your comments on 2020. Best to you all
O P 8