New single - Cheapster

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Heady
Known user

New single - Cheapster

Post by Heady »

According to the NME, Cheapster's the next single, to co-incide with the tour. Maybe they'll be a b-side or two this time.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

There'll probably be two b-sides - but spread over two different full price CDs.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Greetings all! How the whole thing has gone to pieces in my absence. Well I'll be back soon. Regardless, this set-up reminds me of another board I'm on under another pseudonym. I'd be lying if I said I was completely satisfied, particularly with the whiteout color scheme, but then, I wasn't terribly happy with the white-on-baby-blue setup of the previous one either, so I imagine I'll get used to it. At the moment I am troubled by having to scroll horizontally to read all the posted text. Nonetheless it is pleasing to be moderating anew.

I should also say, this being a thread about Cheapster, that the stickers on the North American slipcases for Amazing Grace clearly indicated that the disc featured "the singles She kissed me (it felt like a hit) and Cheapster". So this much has been known for some time. Regardless, its baffling choice undoubtedly qualifies this newie as the worst Spiritualized single ever, with the possible exception of Out of Sight. It will take some remarkable b-sides to wrench my wallet open.

Having recently read that Jason intends a live redo of AG soon (due to the less-than-positive reaction it's garnered in some quarters), I am less and less confident in his ability to properly appraise his own work. I can't fathom Sanctuary choosing "Cheapster", after all.
asd2112
Known user

Post by asd2112 »

damn, i had hoped that 26 was gone. oh well. at least i have something to laugh at.
i don't want to be your lover i just want to be your victim

asd
twentysixdollars
Known user

asd2112 wrote:damn, i had hoped that 26 was gone. oh well. at least i have something to laugh at.
You're a sweetie, asd.
bcastle21
Known user

i love cheapster!

Post by bcastle21 »

i love cheapster! i love amazing grace! and out of sight was an incredible song!!

so amazing grace isn't extravigantly produced like some previous...i still think it's solid from start to finish...and amazing that he made it in 3 weeks.
hardhat
New user

Post by hardhat »

Welcome back 26 - we missed you! Where were you when we needed things stirred up a little, fools put in their place and to tell us which chord structure the dense part of Cop Shoot Cop was taken from?

The board is definitely more interesting with you than without you. Now get on and sock it to us! :)
asd2112
Known user

Post by asd2112 »

Warning, message from a drunk....

fuck 26 and his/her pompous attitudes toward music. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yeah thought i had something else to say.......................................................................................................................on yeah 'cheapster' is a kick ass song
i don't want to be your lover i just want to be your victim

asd
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Incisive stuff!
Heady
Known user

Post by Heady »

I don't mind Cheapster at all, in fact I quite like it as one of the better AG tunes. On the downloaded version it sounded shite, but when I got the 12" EP on, when it kicked in I was impressed. It was quite full on.

Hopefully they'll be something exciting on the B-sides, maybe some shit-hot live versions of old tunes, perhaps a Take Your Time-Smiles-Things.. medley or something.

Although this won't happen, I'm sure.

Time to die

Steve
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Maybe they'll release AG in a special 2-disc edition with all the tracks played live (didn't they do extra sets on some US dates which were run-throughs of the album?). Then I can add this to my promo, slip-case, and 3 x 12'' versions.
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

So the album version of cheap isnt all that..but I like the bbc version (though the sound is crap).
Don´t think it´s a bad dylan song, its just that AG recording is plastic...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Heady - you're right.

Most MP3s can be very compressed, and certainly
Spiritualized music which needs a lot of top and bottom,
especially on AG, ideally should be blasted out on a
good system...

Headphones are great to immerse yourself within
the sound, and if youre sad like me you pick up
all the subtle production nuances.

But for 'Amazing Grace' you need to pump up the volume and KICK OUT THE JAMS, MOTHERFUCKERS!

Yea i'm glad it's Friday

Not sure about the side scrolling...and I like the old colours
Last edited by BzaInSpace on Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I should also have said that 'Cheapster' is perhaps an odd choice of single, but if theres any new tracks, it will be great. But I think the band have been touring non-stop so I don't hold out much hope for new studio productions.

And the only version of the 'She Kissed Me' single i found had a bloody video for a b-side!

That was the first spiritualized single I've never bought...
twentysixdollars
Known user

You flatter me, all of you! Especially you, asd. I kiss you. Tis good to be back, hardhat! Mark - I'll write you soon, I swear. I have family matters this weekend (for the obvious reason) but I'll write by Monday or Tuesday I believe.

Hardhat - it's nice to be liked :) Incidentally I'm fairly certain all of cop shoot cop is in A - the chord being an ambiguous A5. Which makes it painfully clear that it's been lifted from any number of Byrds tunes.

I always thought Cheapster resembled a secondrate Dylan tune without the lyrics - or the melody for that matter! Keep a clean nose, watch the plainclothes...
ursa
Known user

Post by ursa »

bob dylans one hundred and 11th dream or whatever its called.not for note rip off....cut its one of dylans coolest songs,so natrually a rip off would be cool as well!
if he ever did it unplugged it would be a motorphycho nightmare rip off
i live on the bottom of the soul
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

I think it's a great choice for a single and hopefully it'll be a different version from the album with a few live tracks thrown in as well.

Ursa, does runcible know your in his bath? Hope there's no water in it cos as we all know, electricity finds water very attractive and it'll use you to get there and that'll hurt.