Yo La Tengo = Alt.Boring

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Yo La Tengo = Alt.Boring

Post by spzretent »

What the hell happened to this band? I listened to the Painful-Electro Pura-Heart Beating trilogy this weekend. FANTASTIC!! Then it seems all the life was just sucked out of them. They released two of the most boring full length releases coupled w/some awful EP's. They could coin a new genre---Alt.Boring.
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

I've only heard Painful (fantastic), then nothing turned itself...... (also fantastic) and the last one, summer sun (not really got into it). They're a pretty poor live act as was mentioned recently. Only seen them once though.
reverb
New user

Post by reverb »

I saw them at the Corner Hotel in Melbourne about 5 months ago, and it was the only gig I ever walked out of halfway, it was so quiet you had to whisper to the person next to you. My friend got in a fight because he was talking too much. I really got into some of there records but live they were average, and boring.
asd2112
Known user

Post by asd2112 »

hmm, i was intrigued by a yo la tengo thread but surprised by the negative reviews. i saw them once in 2001 and thought they were great. actually haven't ever read a bad review of their live shows till now. guess i can't comment as i haven't seen them in 2 years but i still think they are one of the best bands around for the past 15 years. "summer fun" is not their best effort so that may explain the below average live exp. but any fans of them u should check out their new ep. it rocks like the days of old:)

p.s. anyone heard the new plus/minus? i haven’t bought it yet; just curious to spz/yo la/music fans opinions.
Ejmct
New user

Post by Ejmct »

I was a big fan up through "I Can Hear The Heart..." but I haven't heard great things about their subsequent releases so I haven't bought them.

Allmusic.com has decent reviews of "Sounds" & "Nothing" but a mediocre review of Summer Son. And those are kind reviews because I've seen all those CDs panned on other sites. and by friends who usually like YTL.

That's too bad because I always liked these guys.