best spiritualized album (lyrically)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bcastle21
Known user

best spiritualized album (lyrically)

Post by bcastle21 »

ok, i've been recently been listening to all my spiritualized albums over and over since i saw them on tour and overall i'd say my favorite is LAGWAFIS with Lazer Guided a close second...

...but lyrically I love Let it all Come Down

it really seems like he just put a lot more thought into songwriting for this album...i mean songs like Straight and Narrow, Dont Just Do Something, Out of Sight, etc are just emotionally incredible to me...anyone else feel the same?
wadders
New user

Post by wadders »

Id definately put LAGWAFIS top for all round brilliance. But im not sure I'd agree about Let it Come Down being lyrically the best, It seems a bit like hes just conforming to expectations - lyrically and musically. There are some beautiful songs on that album, but, for me, it just doesnt hold up like the others.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

I dunno.
Lyrically, I was gonna say Pure Phase.
For me, it is the little subtleties on that album.
The faint whispers and such that you pick up on, always finding something new.
Medication
The Slide Song
Take Good Care of It
Let it Flow
Lay Back in the Sun

Lazer Guided was a breakthrough
Pure Phase is 100% Pure Dope
Ladies & Gentlemen I think is all about Kate
I haven't listened to LICD in ages so I couldn't tell ya.
bearzo
New user

Post by bearzo »

i agree Let it Come Down is the best lyrically.
I think he picked up where he left off with
"I think I'm in Love" and carried that into
Let it Come Down. I love the word play in
"Out of sight" "Straight and Narrow" and "Going Down Slow".
albrown
New user

Post by albrown »

I agree with the comments that LICD is the best lyrically if not musically. It's Jason's most accomplished and crafted lyrics - the album is full of flowing, subtle word play, which can be read in several different ways. And it was something which he started in 'Think I'm in Love' - good call bearzo.

Anything More is my favourite example - and the line 'and you know the things we do, mean more to me than you' in particular.

If for the listener, the song is about a relationship, the meaning is quite depressing; but if the listener thinks its written by a father about his child (as I believe he is, and what's why it chokes me up), it's wonderfully optimistic. Has anyone noticed a similar dual meaning of 'babe' since Jason became a father?
spacedudesteve
Known user

Post by spacedudesteve »

Isnt 'Stop Your Crying' all about his daughter - Im sure I read or heard so in an interview.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Sorry to come on here like some kind of (fill in own insult), but I cannot see anything remotely subtle in the words on Let it come down. I haven't heard it recently, but all I remember of it is a lot od sub-MacCartney/Wilde hello goodbye onething forward/samething backward nonsense...maybe it was TOO subtle for my critical...whatsername...thing.

For me, if you can hear WHAT the lyrics are, then they're too loud. He should consider admitting that he's not all that at the producing lark and give Big Kev a job at the knobs.
*evildewey
Known user

Post by *evildewey »

hi everyone, this is my first post here :)

I also agree that let it come down is a great album lyrically, even if I don't like some of the music half as much as most of ladies and gentlemen we're floating in space.

btw, I remember the official lyrics to it being posted online around the time it came out but I can't find them anymore. if anyone could please post a link or send them to me it would be greatly appreciated.

thanx in advance.
there is nothing reliable like change
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

In regards to "Stop Your Crying", it first saw life in 1997-ish as "Nothing Hurts" in more or less the same form with slightly fewer choruses. Actually it originally vaguely resembled Feel So Sad. Because it's at least six years old, I do believe it predates Poppy, but then again I might be wrong.

In regards to Let it Come Down's lyrical "greatness", well, it is pretty much entirely based on that fairly standard reverso 'wit' (parodied by Leonard Cohen in One of Us Cannot Be Wrong) but it usually does raise a smile, in particular on Don't Just Do Something, particularly the shrugging 'but never mind' against a huge orchestral crescendo. It's sidesplitting, and if not necessarily 'great', it's certainly clever. I don't think Jason is a particularly good lyricist (it's never been his strong suit, I think we'd all agree) but he's steadily getting more and amusing, and although Amazing Grace worries me (particularly that last song. If you've got love in your tummy...well, I know I've used that joke before to limited response) I was really pleased at how witty and unselfconscious much of Let It Come Down was. And I still am today.