Complete works 2

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jason_godman
Known user

Complete works 2

Post by jason_godman »

check NME.com people.
Snugglebuster
Known user

Post by Snugglebuster »

what, it's out?

post a link, or info, or something.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Man, what a joke. Never has the word "rarities" been used so loosely.

'Let It Flow' (single version)
'Don't Go/Stay With Me'
'Don't Go/Stay With Me (The Individual)'
'Broken Heart' (instrumental, from Japanese version)
'Lay Back In The Sun' (single version)
'Cool Waves' (instrumental)
'Electricity' (album version)
'Spread Your Wings' (instrumental)
'Come Together' (from Abbey Road EP)
'I Think I'm In Love' (radio edit)
'Broken Heart' (from Abbey Road EP)
'The X-files Theme'
'Broken Heart' (instrumental, from Abbey Road EP)

CD2

'Stop Your Crying' (single version)
'Anything More' (instrumental)
'Rock And Roll' (from 'Stop Your Crying' single)
'Out Of Sight' (single version)
'I Didn't Mean To Hurt You' (instrumental)
'Going Down Slow'
'Do It All Over Again' (single version)
'On Fire' (live)
'Amazing Grace (Peace On Earth)'
'Do It All Over Again' (live)
'Come Together' (live)
'Going Down Slow' (instrumental)
'Rock And Roll' (instrumental)
nicolai
Known user

Post by nicolai »

http://www.nme.com/news/106929.htm

The Complete Works - a sad story. Enough said. This looks more like a way of ending formal connections with BMG than releasing albums of interest. (if this is to be released on BMG, as it probably is)

Anyone here with knowledge about Jason signing to Sanctuary? It was quite sudden as far as I know.
Silent Corner/Empty Stage
Known user

Post by Silent Corner/Empty Stage »

Humn...

All these "single versions" I honestly can't remember them being any different from the album versions. Guess I haven't really listened to them since I bought them, I porbably skipped over them to go to the b sides at that.

All in all, I must say it doesn't look particularly exciting. Of course I'll end up getting it on the day of release. Now I have a few months to try and figure out the point of puttin gthe album version of Electricity on there. Am I the only one who detests the song? I know Jason doesn't he rewrote it several times on Amazing Grace...
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

on the (possible) plus side, if the album is being released "to coincide with the February 2004 dates", maybe the shows will be all oldies :D
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Bloody Hell. Considering the amount of flak people gave CW1 [which for the record, aside from a couple of obvious errors I thought was a really good collection of songs]. This is really depressing.

There's almost no track on there the I'm excited about hearing [or possing on a new format]. OK given I don't have the edited version of I think I'm in Love, but I've never been to bothered about that before.

The only redeeming feature I can see on this are Going Down Slow and Rock and Roll, both fine tracks that could have been on LICD. As a matter of interest have they both been released as instrumentals? I can only remember one - at least that would mean there was something 'previously unlreleased'. And what about the KRCW versions of Stop your Crying and Hold on - at least they would have aded a bit of interest value.

To top off my disapointment only yersetday did I order the Jananese import of 'Do it all over again' which has most of the tracks from CD2 on it. - very unfortuane timing!

Have to agree it looks like a collection put out for contractual purposes rather than for a particular reason. The problem with CW2 always has been the availability of the material. I imagine most of the people here already have the majority of these tracks, unlike CW1 which was the first time some of them had even made it on to CD.

In comparison with Forged prescriptions, which I'm led to believe Jason wasn't keen on it being released, this looks pants.
ho hum.
CinnamonBoy
Known user

Post by CinnamonBoy »

I really don't understand what you folks are so upset about.
Just don't buy it...
You seem to have missed the point about these two albums.
Anyway, I am looking forward to it!!
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Many of the same issues that people had with volume 1 I'd guess.

I think people might be upset because the tracks on this offering are common and nothing on it stands out as very unique or special or rare. I could be wrong, but that's my guess. In other words, it's hardly complete and seems to me to be more of a b-sides collection for the casual fan.

There are some really nice gems in the back catalogue and it's a letdown when none of them are on this. I read an interview where Pierce said these releases were mainly geared towards fans who live outside the UK and cannot get ahold of singles, mail order specials, etc. Sounds like a nice idea, but then why does this have the songs for the first Let it Flow single but not the other, hard to find cds in the set? Why is Come Together on this from the Abbey Road single when the Pinkpop songs are the true rarities? I could go on. I am fortunate in that I have all the original material, but I bet people who don't are really thrilled with the inclusion of the Rock 'n' Roll Instrumental, that's a real gem.
Ian Goodchild
Known user

CWVII

Post by Ian Goodchild »

I hate(d) CWVI. It was a missed opportunity. The tracklisting was all wrong. The audio quality was between pathetic and laughable. The packaging was cheap and nasty. Okay, not everyone has been a fan of the band since year 0, and sure, some people have found early tracks to be a revelation (indeed, some of them are majestic) but considering what Spiritualized COULD have given us - new fans and old - it is a slap in the face. A big slap.

And here we go again. I'm less surprised: I thought it would be bad, but this? This time, perhaps even post-LAGWAFIS fans can understand the dismay that CWVI brought to most long term fans of the band - sorry, The Jason. Or is it BMG/Dedicated? Shouldn't matter.

We have 10 instrumentals. TEN. NONE of the single versions are different to the 'album versions', (well, I'll amend that - a few fade out between 30 to 1min 39sec earlier than the 'album versions' do) only 'Think I'm in Love' is different - the sloppiest single edit the band have ever done (Why the fuck didn't they put the Chemical Brothers superb remix on?). Of the non-LP tracks, there's a grand total of 4 - 'X-Files Theme' (sucks), 'Goin' Down Slow' and 'Rock and Roll' (yeah, great tracks, but who doesn't have them? And why slap the instrumentals on as well?) and 'Amazing Grace' (ick...I've found if you fade this song out after 1min 28sec, it's actuallly enjoyable).

So that's it. A very sad and stupid joke. Just stop and think of all the Radio Sessions and live broadcasts they could have put here [acoustic 'Stop Your Crying' and 'Hold On'; 'Hold On' from Warchild; the other two LICD Radio Session tracks; some of the Radio 1 broadcast tracks from Meltdown (1998) or Portsmouth (2001). They've even missed out 'Pure Phase (Tones)' the 'Come Together' remixes; the live tracks from the Euro-'Come Together' EP.

There may be sycophants out there that regard this shameful collection as an 'essential', and there's even the old 'If ya don't likes it, ya don't buys it' epithet trotted out.

I'm sorry, this is bullshit: Spiritualized are the band I've given 13 years of my life to - I WANT to buy everything they do; I want them to be MY band because they are capable of turning out music that floors me in the way that no-one else can - not the Beatles, not the Beach Boys, no-one, and I'm rewarded with this.

I'll die before I buy this crap.

are to release a second compilation of rare material.

'The Complete Works Volume Two' follows the first instalment, released in March this year, and is scheduled to coincide with the band's UK dates in February 2004.

Almost all of the 26 tracks are not available on any previous Spiritualized album, and date from 1995 to 2002, taking in the sessions immediately before this year's 'Amazing Grace'.

[ha ha ha!]

The tracklisting is:

CD 1

'Let It Flow' (single version)
'Don't Go/Stay With Me'
'Don't Go/Stay With Me (The Individual)'
'Broken Heart' (instrumental, from Japanese version)
'Lay Back In The Sun' (single version)
'Cool Waves' (instrumental)
'Electricity' (album version)
'Spread Your Wings' (instrumental)
'Come Together' (from Abbey Road EP)
'I Think I'm In Love' (radio edit)
'Broken Heart' (from Abbey Road EP)
'The X-files Theme'
'Broken Heart' (instrumental, from Abbey Road EP)

CD2

'Stop Your Crying' (single version)
'Anything More' (instrumental)
'Rock And Roll' (from 'Stop Your Crying' single)
'Out Of Sight' (single version)
'I Didn't Mean To Hurt You' (instrumental)
'Going Down Slow'
'Do It All Over Again' (single version)
'On Fire' (live)
'Amazing Grace (Peace On Earth)'
'Do It All Over Again' (live)
'Come Together' (live)
'Going Down Slow' (instrumental)
'Rock And Roll' (instrumental)
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Well that's a pretty piss-poor effort, isn't it!

Complete works my arse. Whoever said it was a collection of B-sides for the casual fan hit the nail absolutely on the head and Ian Goodchild has said the rest really. There aren't even any 'rarities' on it, except maybe the X-Files theme (bigfuckingdeal!). I wasn't expecting that much really, but there are some ommissions that are unforgivable... The Wetherall/Fearless remixes of 'Come Together' being the first one that comes to mind. No point in me moaning really, Ian said just about anything that needs saying, and I own damn near all the 'rarities' that should have been on there. I just think it sucks that stuff that's nigh on impossible to get hold of could and should have been made available to newcomers and people who missed out on such releases at the time... :cry:
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Rarities? Who they kidding? In the past 2 weeks I have seen an Abbey Road EP and three LICD singles in shops, and I wasn't even looking for them. As Natty has said missing off the Come Together remixes is criminal, and an album version of Electricity? What's that all about? Two broken heart instrumentals? Why? Especially as one is identicle to the album versions less the singing.

Bet in come is some shoddy cheap cardboard wrap thing as well.
CinnamonBoy
Known user

Post by CinnamonBoy »

Ian G: You have missed the point completely. As Jason have said in several interviews; the 'Complete Works' was released for (new) fans, especially in the US where the old singles end EP's are almost impossible to find. I totally agree with you that it would be great to have a 'real' rarities album with radio sessions and stuff, but this wouldn't have helped all the new fans who wanted to have the old b-sides.
You are mixing up to different ideas here! Anyway, maybe he will give us a 'real' rarities album some time in the future.
And Ian, if you have dedicated 13 years of your life to this band (which I think is great, honestly!), that's your 'problem' not Jasons. He is an artist whose music you happen to love, not your personal friend - he don't owe you anything. Jason Pierce is an independent artist and musical genius, who creates exactly what he wants regardless of what other people expect from him - and thank god for that!
(And even if you ARE his personal friend, he still don't owe you anything artistically).
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

You have missed the point completely. As Jason have said in several interviews; the 'Complete Works' was released for (new) fans, especially in the US where the old singles end EP's are almost impossible to find.
The point as I see it is that this does not contain any rarities or old singles that are hard to find and most importantly good. Anyone in the US, or anywhere else in the world with an internet connection, can quite easily and economically find and purchase the majority of the material on here. Don't you think that even the most casual fan would prefer a nice radio session version of a good song over 10 instrumentals? The point is that there are plenty of better songs that could have significantly improved this offering and that sucks for the fans, new or not.
Silent Corner/Empty Stage
Known user

Post by Silent Corner/Empty Stage »

Well, I agree with most of you. I suppose it is called "the complete works" and not "rarities" so it being a b sides collection shouldn't come as such a shock. It is a pain in the ass for us Americans to find the singles. And buying this 2 disc set is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a ton of imported singles, which tend run about as high as an actual album. I disagree with all the slamming of volume 1, it was infinitely more interesting than this one, not full of instrumental versions and faded out album versions. Perhaps I say that because I didn't get into the band until Pure Phase came out so I actually did spend a small fortune on all the singles and have 90% of the stuff on this set. Sadly I know I'll end up buying it, listening to it once and throwing it on a shelf. Since these are just b sides compilations it would be nice if EVERYTHING was included, but hey, anything is better than nothing.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Cinanmen Boy, I think you've missed the point. The funamental reaon why I find this track listing so depressing is becuase its **LAZY**. Throughout his career Jason has given more care and attention to detail to each of his releases than any other artist I can think of. Why did he spend years spent remixing and remixing - if not to achieve what he sees as perfection? Not just the mixes, but the entire product has always been given the greatest bit of love imagainable. Why do you never see spz releases in the sales bins at HMV? - unlike almost any other classic ablum- screamadelica? - £6.99 bargain basement. Spiritualized - Always full price. With this, it just seems to have been slapped out without any thought. Perhaps Jason has had nothing to do with it. Although that is not much of an excuse. He's always been such a control freak before its seems strange he should dispense of this now. Already there's been loads of ideas of missing tracks that would already fill up 1 of the cd's - I've got another, this extended version of Good Times that on the volume collection - that would have been a true rarity. They could have asked for our suggestions and come up with a better track listing in a couple of hours.

I've got no problem with Jason making a bit of extra cash, - he's scrimped and saved for enough years, its the lack of thought put into it that irks me.
Ian Goodchild
Known user

CWVII

Post by Ian Goodchild »

I guess a lot of what I'll say in reply to Cinnamonboy would be superfluous at this point: clewsr, natty and most others seem to have said what I'll say again here. But I really, really need to say this.

>>Ian G: You have missed the point completely. As Jason have said in several interviews; the 'Complete Works' was released for (new) fans, especially in the US where the old singles end EP's are almost impossible to find.

[1]. Riiiight. That logic is a fair point for CWVI (notwithstanding my hatred of that) but NOT for CWVII. Arista handled the distribution of Spiritualized product in the US, and did a good job of it. The US was the first to get the promos of ALL the LAGWAFIS singles (there is a US only 'Think I'm In Love' promo for instance, which has the edit, the LP version, the CB remix, and an instrumental CB remix: 'Supplementary Dosage' was also more prevalent in the US too) , and being in contact with around forty Spiritualized fans in the states, NONE of them have had problems getting hold of records which are...what? Less than two years old. I'd also be surprised if there were no file-shares where these tracks were available. Also, there are like, four 'new' tracks that anyone who cares about the band would want.

I totally agree with you that it would be great to have a 'real' rarities album with radio sessions and stuff, but this wouldn't have helped all the new fans who wanted to have the old b-sides.

[2] Who many fans want an instrumental double CD? I do not.

You are mixing up to different ideas here! Anyway, maybe he will give us a 'real' rarities album some time in the future.

[3] No chance in f'n hell.

And Ian, if you have dedicated 13 years of your life to this band (which I think is great, honestly!), that's your 'problem' not Jasons. He is an artist whose music you happen to love, not your personal friend - he don't owe you anything.

[4] Duh! Oh, you know what? - Jason's going to read what I've written and totally rethink CWVII, because Spiritualized is what I eat, drink, think, smoke and live in, and Jase wouldn't wanna let me down. Not a 'problem'. But in real life, I'm not five, I have no delusions about what Jason should or shouldn't record and the direction he should or shouldn't head in. He doesn't listen to his manager, his band mates, and certainly not to the press, or - at the lowest end of the evolutionary spectrum - us fuckin' losers - his fans.

Jason Pierce is an independent artist and musical genius, who creates exactly what he wants regardless of what other people expect from him - and thank god for that!
(And even if you ARE his personal friend, he still don't owe you anything artistically).

:shock: Oh christ, Jason is not a fucking genius. Brian Wilson is. Phil Spector is. John Lennon and Paul McCartney are geniuses. Colonel Parker was. Do you venerate JP or the music of Spiritualized? Either way, you need to take a more reflexive view of this band, because they are normal, humans playing (particularly good) music. I thank God when Spiritualized make a good record, and I'll say when I think he's taking the absolute fucking piss. Nuff said.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

In two minds with this one, firstly 'Complete Works Vol 2' has a tracklisting that is uninspired to say the least... see other viewpoints here (see also : Flux show (Edinburgh 99) - that is crying out for an official release in it's own right).

And chances are it will have Copyright Protection/ dodgy sound quality too.

BUT...personally speaking i'm happy as all my Spiritualized singles were wiped out in a fire in August... so at least I can get some of this music back... probably in far-less exciting artwork though.

And I believe a lot of this music is class.... i love the bizarre funk that is 'X-Files Theme', the Abbey Road material is spot-on as well.

It will still wipe the floor with most other albums that week.

But unless you're in a similar situation, or you got into the band this year, there's not a lot to be excited about

And what's the deal with 'Electricity' (LP version)????
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

One thing that destroys any possible notion that this is a collection for fans who find some material difficult to obtain:
Live Glastonbury tracks from the Let It Flow limited CD singles. Where the fuck are they? Out of all Spiritualized's b-sides these are the ones that most people seem to find impossible to obtain, and what's more they are thoroughly worth tracking down. Yet no reissue has occurred despite the golden opportunity being available with either Conplete Works.

Have you gut these Cinnamon Boy? If so you won't be complaining. Many haven't, and I support their grumbles completely.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

Grunt, fart, bitch, piss and moan, here's an idea : DON"T BUY IT!!!!!

xxxshonnnxxx

As for me I will be first in line the day it comes out. Why, I'm missing a few of the tracks. :)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

that isn't any fun at all!
themilkman
New user

Post by themilkman »

The release of Complete Works Vol. 2 is a really excellent news. It looks like it's taken a bit longer than planned, but I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait.
themilkman
http://www.themilkfactory.co.uk
Contemporary music for contemporary people
#51: December Interview: Si-Cut.db. Albums: Coppe'. Gimmik. Matmos. Mice Parade. Music A.M. Si-Cut.db...
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

It's crap but it's no suprise. My expectations for this band took a nosedive (understatement) when I first heard Amazing Grace, and let me mention that I've been a rabid fan since Playing With Fire.
One mitigating factor is the inclusion of the Broken Heart instrumental.......What? There's two of 'em?!! Cool.........

So when is that new Spectrum CD coming out?
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

By the way, I've been a fan of this site since January 1, 1970, so don't start questioning my allegiances!!!

Bye........
musicburgler
New user

Post by musicburgler »

Oh wow what a joke! I already have these songs from when they came out on singles, This ain't no rarities its just a b-side collection and bland ones at that. I'd rather have a low grade bootleg from the early 90's or something more along the lines of radio sessions including ""I Am What I Am" That is a rarity. Im pretty sure this was not a creative decision by Jason but more of a label marketing sales thing. I mean I thought J was off drugs and not this braindead to re-release this crap. Rare, No?!!
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

pretty piss poor!

however, of course i'll be buying it as i'm as big a spiritualized sucker as everyone else!

perhaps we should make our own CW3 and send each other the tracks that we want.
my choices of radio sessions etc...

i am what i am
ladies and gentlemen (from meltdown 1998)
don't just do something
feel so sad (both from flux)
come together (death in vegas mix)
complete kcrw session
CinnamonBoy
Known user

Post by CinnamonBoy »

musicburgler wrote:This ain't no rarities its just a b-side collection and bland ones at that.!
I might have missed something here, but exactly where and when did the band or the record company or any other official source call CW a 'rarities' album?? I have heard Jason referring to it as a collection of old singles and b-sides from singles though, which is exactly what it is...
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

You are just arguing semantics at this point. No one is saying that someone from the label or band lied about the content. to my knowledge it's been marketed as a compilation of hard to find tracks - not specifically b sides as some of these tracks were on fan club records or 7" records you could buy at shows i believe. I am saying that there are many better choices available that fit the above "requirements" and that is the letdown. Maybe you could tell me why these particular songs deserve to be on the compilation as opposed to some of the other tracks people have suggested would have been better?
CinnamonBoy
Known user

Post by CinnamonBoy »

SpaceLine wrote:Maybe you could tell me why these particular songs deserve to be on the compilation as opposed to some of the other tracks people have suggested would have been better?
Of course I can't! The only person who can decide what songs deserve to be on a Spiritualized album is Jason Pierce...
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

CinnamonBoy wrote:Of course I can't! The only person who can decide what songs deserve to be on a Spiritualized album is Jason Pierce...
You need to learn more about the music industry.
CinnamonBoy
Known user

Post by CinnamonBoy »

runaway wrote:You need to learn more about the music industry.
Maybe I am terribly naive, but I do actually think Jason decides which songs end up on his albums...although I know it is becoming more and more rare for artists to make such decisions nowadays.

Furthermore, let me just make one thing clear: I am not some sort of Jason Pierce worshipper. He is not God to me...he is not perfect. But the fact is that unlike so many other artists I have respected during my lifetime (I am 32), he has never disappointed me!
I promise you all that when he does, I will definitely not keep silent about it!
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

other than a far-from-perfect track selection, Volume 2's subpar quality is more a result of pierce's tendency after "pure phase" to not issue "real" b-sides. for whatever reason, it seems that as they get older, many bands stop issuing unreleased songs on their singles, resorting instead to endless remixes, instrumental takes, and irrelevant live versions (see: REM, mercury rev, etc etc). whether this is because the unreleased tracks just dry up after a time or the band just doesn't feel like putting that much effort into their singles anymore, i don't know. i realize it's not the 60s so maybe we can't expect a non-album double a-side every year, but it's disappointing that spiritualized has slipped into this comparatively lazy practice (there was a bit of a return to form with the handful of fully realized songs that showed up on the LICD singles...though using a video as the b-side of the latest single obliterated any of that forward progress). putting the tracklistings of Volumes 1 and 2 side by side is a pretty good indicator of the attention that used to be lavished on singles and the more shrugging attitude shown now.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Honestly I'm shocked that this package is even seeing release given the acrimony between Jason and BMG. (Of course, who can really blame them, given Jason's tendency to hole himself up in a studio for years on end and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to turn out mostly unsaleable product? The whole debacle was sad, because people lost jobs, apparently, in the bargain - such as Dan, the original Pharmacist here). I suspect this is in fact a contract-breaker as some have speculated.

I must confess that as a mild champion of CWvI I find the proposed tracklist disappointing. In fact as a listening experience it seems this record will be a disaster that makes the original set's four-consecutive-Feel-So-Sads and deceptive-or-just-plain-inaccurate labeling seem rather piddling as faults. Of course there wasn't quite a rich supply of hard-to-find studio material for this last run of years like there was of the first one; but CWvII covers the Spiritualized era that produced most of the group's best live recordings and they're simply not here for whatever reason. As have been enumerated elsewhere, notable misses are the latter two Let It Flow singles, and the Pinkpop stuff, to say nothing of the surprisingly enjoyable Electricity discs. There's material on here that just isn't rare at all: "Don't Go" and "Electricity" are particularly egregious examples of stuff that every single fan already has - without exception, I'd say! This is to say nothing of the fact that disc one is in a completely jumbled trackorder.

To sum up, I'm going to pass on this since I think completism is an absurd principle when you've already got it all (Vol. 1 collected some material that had never been on CD and was -almost- worth a purchase for that). Ian G and I have clashed a lot on these boards, but I must stir up another debate this time by opining that his "Jason owes me this and that" possessiveness comes off a bit petulant, even if you've "invested" thirteen years into his work. The work is the work, and enjoy it if you will, but Jason won't be producing or selling anything other than what he will, which is the way it should be. I'm not let down when Chris Hillman of the Byrds makes a pompous ass of himself and turns out dull record after dull record, even though the man wrote some of my favorite ever songs. I would actually be disappointed if he took my advice, or anyone else's - whose record would it be, then? Both CW packages have been representative of record company politics, not the decidedly less-than-brilliant mind of Jason Pierce. Let's hope, if anything, that his next record is a little more inspired than Amazing Grace, whatever it is.

Sorry about the lengthy post pals; it's been a busy week! :)
Ian Goodchild
Known user

Post by Ian Goodchild »

Right - first off a cordial 'FUCK YOU' to anyone and everyone who has said: 'Stop moaning' and/or 'If you don't like it, don't buy it'. I was under the impression this was a discussion board, and if you don't want to read me, or anyone else, discuss their grievances, you don't have to. Find a thread that says: "Jason Pierce's arse, and which poster is the best Spiritualized brown-noser, apologist and sycophant" and I'll smell ya later, because I've got a whole lot more today. And I don't know what's f'n me off more: the CWVII 'product' or the people who say they can't wait to buy this. Few questions for those people:

(1). Will you be playing every track in consecutive order without falling asleep? 'Broken Heart' (for instance) may be a good LP track and an excellent EP track, but really - who wants to listen to three identikit instrumental versions? And then another three instrumentals. And then another three. And another 8 which, if you have their studio LPs, you already have.

(2). If Jason is so unerringly accurate, and so untouchable and astute in his judgement, and such a great musical figure - genius, I mean - why should a double-CD which epitomises the collective output of his band for the best part of a decade contain absolutely nothing new, nothing special; and absolutely nothing which makes fans salivate at the prospect of this new compilation?

(3). Why are you buying this? Is it for convienience? That's the only reason I could think of. But I've heard about this new technology - it's called a tape recorder (I believe it's even possible to record music onto a CD-R now) and it allows you to take music off file-share, or even from hosted sites (Tom Meade's site has had the 'X-Files Theme' the original 'These Blues', 'I Am What I Am' and a lot of rare and interesting tracks for public access), or from people on this board who, I'm sure could do you a tape/CD.

(4). Why would a genius such as Jason fill a double CD with instrumentals of LP tracks, a few widely available B-Sides and instrumentals of those f'n B-Sides? If it's for posterity, Jason is creating a pretty fucking shoddy musical CD. Perhaps he could learn from the artists who have left musical legacies which have ensured their longevity and supremacy over decades (Joy Division, John Lennon, The Beatles The Beach Boys, Lee Perry, Kraftwerk, Lou Reed, The Velvets, The Stones, Phil Spector).

[bitch moan complain]

(5). At best, most people have recognised that this is NOT a rarities CD. If we got a Radio Sessions 2-CD, I'd be writing in saying 'This is amazing stuff. I love this' or a REAL rarities CD 'Wow! Isn't that version of [insert name of song] unbelievable?' or a 'Best of Live' double. But no, you're happy with ten instrumentals, some LP tracks and a few B-sides doubled with instrumental versions. I know it would be (extremely) wishful thinking to have a 'Best of...Live' a 'Rarities: 1991-2003' or 'Radio Sessions' but to settle with complete WANK Volume II...? Sickening.

I could compare Complete Waste Volume II to the collective output of a few other bands over similar, or much shorter periods of time (not least of which is Sonic Boom's rather damn good 'What Came Before After'):

The Stone Roses - between 1988 and 1991 every EP they released (always four-track aside from 'Fools Gold') contained three LP quality songs (see Silvertone's Complete Stone Roses for proof. They knocked out some majestic tunes.

Mercury Rev - from both Deserter's Songs and All Is Dream every release they did came in double CD format (and a 7" - so, you get seven new or alternate tracks). And whilst they could be accused of milking it, all the B-Sides are pretty fuckin' good, actually - we've got Captain Beefheart, Black Sabbath and John Lennon covers, new non-LP tracks (and no instrumental versions of LP songs).

The Flaming Lips - who ARE milking it (one 7", two or three CD sngles and one DVD for each release) can still knock out some good material, and even their remixes are passable.

[bitch moan complain]

And then you've got early 1990's compilations like Jesus and Mary Chain's 'Sound of Speed' - nearly 20 tracks encompassing unreleased tracks, (a few) remixes, some stunning cover versions ('Little Red Rooster' is fuckin' A; 'Tower of Song' is magnificent and even their cover of 'My Girl' is well worth hearing, and a great collection of B-Sides too). Or Stereolab's 'Switched On: Volume I and II', 'Aluminium Tunes' or 'ABC music' (that's ALL Radio Sessions, and it's a SUPERB compilation).

[bitch moan complain]

The bottom line is that Jason is very, very lazy. The effort he makes with his b-sides is somewhere between "Yeah, put an instrumental on it, that'll fill it up." or "Who gives a fuck? They'll buy it anyway." And we have people who not only justify this, but who see it reverentially, as a sign of Jason's genius. For Christ's sake.

And then there are the bands I dislike, but who I stilactually put effort into their releases - Radiohead, Ash, Polyphonic Spree, Stereophonics and a LOT of others all put Spiritualized to shame.

$26...you agree with me, but you still need to annoy me? You must have ignored the part where I stressed that it matters neither how long or fanatical a Spiritualized fan I may or may not be, Jason is Spiritualized and he 'owes' me nothing. Duh! Trust me, I've come to expect that. Or maybe it's more complicated than that. I buy his product (and I LOVE every Spiritualized LP, no ifs and no buts, even where I feel there are some weak songs), and maybe once in a while he can take his head out of his fucking arse, LISTEN and give something back to the people that give this man a lot more respect than he deserves. How many times in interviews has Jason said 'I don't want to just rush out product. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly...' ? Unless it's a rarities 2-CD set I guess.
juliette
Known user

Re: Complete works 2

Post by juliette »

jason_godman wrote:check NME.com people.
:D
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

The real problem I think is that it's coming out too soon. If they'd waited 5 years before this, it would have been perfect - all the various tracks would have "become rare", and there would have been a real incentive to buy.

Despite owning almost everything on various singles, bootlegs, downloaded MP3s, etc, I'll probably buy it anyway, just to have them all together (you know the way singles have a tendency to migrate under beds, to friends houses, etc).

The real grief with CW1 was the copy protection issue. I doubt if BMG have learned their lesson from this, so we'll have more of the same.

As regards the old "if you don't like it, don't buy it" and "he doesn't owe us anything" arguments, I've heard both sides of these so many times in the past that there's really no point in continuing them.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

In regards to Ian G's greetings. I hadn't any intention of 'annoying' you, because transparently I do agree with you on most points, but everyone here _was_ playing nice as far as I can tell, especially CinnamonBoy. I was the only one who actually went to the trouble of insulting you (calling you "petulant" - ooh!) and yet you start off your post with attacks on anyone who's argued with you in the least. This is one tendency that's central to my inability to get along with you. (Others include your constant highandmighty proclamations as to who's a "genius", and your occasional assertions of infallible knowledge on any given topic, usually those). CinnamonBoy most certainly has the right to his opinion even if I disagree with it. He's certainly expressed it in a much less patience-testing way.

But enough of my grumbling. Let's get back to agreeing for now. I think what we're both angling for is something other than what Jason or BMG set out to do with these sets. There hasn't been a speck of previously unreleased material on either package and I certainly wasn't expecting any, since they were intended to be singles clearinghouses. Granted, any compilation of, say, alternate mixes, or radio sessions, or demos, would be very attractive (I know I'd buy), but they'd consist of previously unreleased material and that's not what the CW series was created for, sadly. We may yet see a compilation of the sorts on Sanctuary, or, then again, we may not: or it may take twenty more years till the retrospective is compiled. The best way to see the CW discs is as Jason's extremely modest answer to the Past Masters discs. And remember that those took twenty years to out. The 'rare' material (the Anthology discs) too even longer to crawl out from under bootlegs and into official release.
JBonghit
New user

Post by JBonghit »

As a recent fan, I can understand all the old school Spz fans being pissed at the tracklisting, but consider this:

1. Maybe the relationship between Arista/BMG and Jason has really soured and he doesn't want to put a bunch of gems on a album that he won't see a dime from. If this is to satisfy his contract with BMG and both parties aren't getting along, maybe Jason is dumping a bunch of songs that BMG owns the rights to. This satisfies his contract with them and makes them think they have a decent product to sell.

2. I think there is reason and validity for Jason to assemble a true box set with all the above mentioned gems and then some. At this point in the life of Spz, I don't think he is ready to do a box set yet, which is why this CW2 is mainly singles and live cuts. He knows the Spz vaults have many goodies that rabid fans are foaming at the mouth to hear, but why blow them on an album that is mainly to satisfy a contract?

I'm not saying the above scenarios are correct, but this is what many artists end up doing to get out of bad contract. I've only been into Spz for a couple of years, so I'm excited to hear CW2, but I also understand where the longtimers are coming from. I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as Spz continue to tour and play shows like they did in San Diego, I think we are all okay.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

I have to agree with JB. I don't think Jason would want to give anything to his old label than he has too. We spoke to him for a rather lengthy time a few weeks ago, he definetely has quite a few "projects" that he will be releasing . So all I can say is, if you don't like the CW2, or Amazing Grace, just waite till you see what he has in store for you.

xxxshonnxxx

(JB, or you from San Diego? I thought I was stranded out here by myself)
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

Ian Goodchild wrote: Right - first off a cordial 'FUCK YOU' to anyone and everyone who has said: 'Stop moaning' and/or 'If you don't like it, don't buy it'. I was under the impression this was a discussion board, and if you don't want to read me, or anyone else, discuss their grievances, you don't have to.
Yep, it's a discussion board and saying 'FUCK YOU' to anyone whose opinion you don't like isn't exactly conducive to discussion now is it? It's the sort of thing spoilt children do when when they don't like what they hear. Were you stamping your feet at the time?

Ian Goodchild wrote: And I don't know what's f'n me off more: the CWVII 'product' or the people who say they can't wait to buy this. Few questions for those people:
Why would someone's enthusiasm for a compilation album that you think is shit fuck you off!? Do you stand in record shops and hurl abuse at people that are buying stuff you don't like?

I can't remember ever having aimed an insult at anyone on this board since I joined, not even muscles or raygun got that honour but your head, is so far you're arse that you could well be inside out.

No offence mind.

I also think Jbonghit could be onto something with his explanation.
dredgie
Known user

Post by dredgie »

message to ian goodchild:

a) stop moaning

b) don't buy it

what a bunch of fucking whingers.

get out more people.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

This might be something of a controversial opinion but as a fan of 13 years I do feel that I'm owed something. I've bought practically every release and seen the band something in the region of 20 times... People like me pay Jason's f*ing wages, so I don't think it's too much to ask that rip-off crap like CW2 isn't foisted upon me.

Anyway, no more moaning. I'm not going to buy it.

In fact, I'm sure we've all got enough stuff by the band, let's do our own version (s) of 'CW2' and pass copies round the board?
dredgie
Known user

Post by dredgie »

natty wrote:This might be something of a controversial opinion but as a fan of 13 years I do feel that I'm owed something. I've bought practically every release and seen the band something in the region of 20 times... People like me pay Jason's f*ing wages, so I don't think it's too much to ask that rip-off crap like CW2 isn't foisted upon me.

Anyway, no more moaning. I'm not going to buy it.

In fact, I'm sure we've all got enough stuff by the band, let's do our own version (s) of 'CW2' and pass copies round the board?
once you see it in the record store in it's shiny new cover i'll bet you just can't help yourself.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

JBonghit wrote:As a recent fan, I can understand all the old school Spz fans being pissed at the tracklisting, but consider this:

2. I think there is reason and validity for Jason to assemble a true box set with all the above mentioned gems and then some. At this point in the life of Spz, I don't think he is ready to do a box set yet, which is why this CW2 is mainly singles and live cuts. He knows the Spz vaults have many goodies that rabid fans are foaming at the mouth to hear, but why blow them on an album that is mainly to satisfy a contract?
Please pull your head out of the sand! The day there is a box set of actual rare tracks pigs will fly. I think Ian hit the nail squarely on the head as far as how b sides are chosen by Mr. Pierce. There is no other possible explanation for the crap that is passed off as b sides.
I used to feel the same way as Ian. I lived for this band! I travelled to see them live. I have collected Spiritualized since day one. But I came to realize I dont really like the last 2 records, Let It Come Down and the new one AND I really only liked a few tracks of Ladies & Gents. The flame I have for Spiritualized is down to a flicker.
Its too bad.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

spzretent wrote: I used to feel the same way as Ian. I lived for this band! I travelled to see them live. I have collected Spiritualized since day one. But I came to realize I dont really like the last 2 records, Let It Come Down and the new one AND I really only liked a few tracks of Ladies & Gents. The flame I have for Spiritualized is down to a flicker.
Its too bad.
Sadly that about sums it up for too.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

Ian G/spzretent/clewsr - totally share your thoughts concerning CW1/2 and the last two albums ... $26, it was your very own "highandmighty proclamations" that made me found this highly irritating board so hard to resist!

dredgie: with regard to the "fucking whingers" comment, perhaps this board lends testament to the fact that there seem to be a fair few spz fans of old who are feeling pretty cheated by the whole experience..... not that I would dare to ever suggest that Mr Pearce owes me, but it defo makes me question my judgement.... sometimes I even think I've been making excuses to myself for the band since pure phase - OOOOHHHH!
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

JBonghit wrote: 1. Maybe the relationship between Arista/BMG and Jason has really soured and he doesn't want to put a bunch of gems on a album that he won't see a dime from. If this is to satisfy his contract with BMG and both parties aren't getting along, maybe Jason is dumping a bunch of songs that BMG owns the rights to. This satisfies his contract with them and makes them think they have a decent product to sell.
JB I think you'll find that he'll receive every penny owed to him from these releases, no matter if he is still signed to BMG or not. It's just a shame that this money doesn't get passed on to everybody else who should be getting their cut.

A collection of Radio sessions, especially one from different radios station across the world, isn't going to happen because nobody will be bothered/willing to spend months and months sorting out the licencing agreements for little or no returns, yes even the LIF b-sides, because they will need re-licencing. Let's face facts, BMG are a business, they are charged with making money for their shareholders, and spending lots of time and money on a record that his only a slim chance of recoping is not going to be very high on their priority list.

Which brings us back to the lame arsed CW2 track sellection, that is mostly down to lame arse tracks that were put on b-sides, especially during the LICD period. However, that doesn't account for the "missing" remixes of Come Together for example.
Heady
Known user

Post by Heady »

a beautiful noise wrote:I have to agree with JB. I don't think Jason would want to give anything to his old label than he has too. We spoke to him for a rather lengthy time a few weeks ago, he definetely has quite a few "projects" that he will be releasing . So all I can say is, if you don't like the CW2, or Amazing Grace, just waite till you see what he has in store for you.

xxxshonnxxx

(JB, or you from San Diego? I thought I was stranded out here by myself)
That's very cryptic, care to enlighten us?!
Ian Goodchild
Known user

Peace on Earth

Post by Ian Goodchild »

First, one thing I've got to get off my chest - and this is the electronic equivalent of clearing my throat - getting the annoying detritus out before I engage in posting considerably less enraged diatribes.

$26 - I love you. Your ability to read selectively and indiscriminately is a wonderful gift for a board moderator. Both you and Cinnamonboy laboured under the impression that a). I felt that Spiritualized 'owed' me b). because I have supported this band for 13 years, my views were somehow superior to everyone elses. And yes, you did both put me down: I thought this was unfair. Oh $26, when will we ever agree? Never, my friend. Anyone who can state, without any hint of irony, that Jason is in 'the autumn of his career' and that Spiritualized have lost the plot, and that henceforth, nothing they record will ever be worth listening to etc. suggests you should find some other board to moderate. Did I say moderate? I meant 'irritate'.

Dredgie, did you see the [moan complain whinge] inserted into the post after every paragraph? I put that there so you, or anyone else, wouldn't have to write and tell me to stop moaning and/or not buying the damn record. I'm perfectly aware that the points were laboured, and you may also care to re-read the first paragraph whence I advised that people who didn't want to read several pages of my tirade against CWVII.

Stevie - I'm sorry you interpreted my post in that way. I genuinely wanted to hear what people who are going to buy CWVII had to say to the objections I raised. I really, honestly CANNOT UNDERSTAND why people want this.

With anti-CWVII posters ALL putting forward a hell of a lot more convincing, articulate and personal reasons why they won't buy CWVII and why they feel let down by this whole thing, I'd love to know why no-one answered ANY of the questions I asked. So, here's some more:

- How would Jason justify either Complete Works Volume I (poor content, poor audio, wrong tracklisting, lacklustre promotion and presentation) or Complete Works Volume II (extremely dodgy and insulting track listing)?

- To what extent would Pierce consider these 4 discs representative of his two decades in the music industry?

- Why are Spiritualized now not even bothering to send out letters/postcards (or maybe a ...free gift? Chuckle) to the people who want to know what's being released and when, and who don't want to read the NME to find out when the band are touring?

- We know that Jason hates the music industry (his last NME interview was a perfect demonstration of this - which was pathetic, and conducted by a moron who felt the most important question to ask was "What do you think about The Darkness?") but he knows the game, and he knows that he has to release singles (and hence three or four B-sides), so why does he not make any kind of effort ('When She Kissed Me' is a superlative example of this)? And does he not regret that this is painfully apparent on CWVII.

- Does he feel glad that he has an army of fans that will justify whatever crap he throws out?

By all means, discount me and insult me to your heart's content - tantrum-throwing, little whiny baby Ian. But at least read the post again, and try to understand it, and why I might feel compelled to post that stuff. So far, the people who've expressed discontent with my post seem to do so because they have taken it personally, and that's their problem - not mine.
dredgie
Known user

Post by dredgie »

nasty wrote:Ian G/spzretent/clewsr - totally share your thoughts concerning CW1/2 and the last two albums ... $26, it was your very own "highandmighty proclamations" that made me found this highly irritating board so hard to resist!

dredgie: with regard to the "fucking whingers" comment, perhaps this board lends testament to the fact that there seem to be a fair few spz fans of old who are feeling pretty cheated by the whole experience..... not that I would dare to ever suggest that Mr Pearce owes me, but it defo makes me question my judgement.... sometimes I even think I've been making excuses to myself for the band since pure phase - OOOOHHHH!
nasty and ian goodchild -

is there someone holding a gun at your head and forcing you to buy spiritualized records ?

nasty, if you've had reservations since pure phase that's your problem for buying stuff you don't like. record buying is a simple concept - if you don't like it, don't buy it. i like boards of canada, so i buy the records. i don't like simply red, so i don't buy them.

build a fuckin' bridge and get over it.

spiritualized owe you fuck all. go listen to something else.
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Isn't it comforting to know that dredgie has grasped his new roll as board facist with both hands. I wasn't aware that every post here had to include some form of arse kissing?

What pray tell is so wrong with expressing and contrary view?

It's called an open and frank debate, but you obviously arn't up to an intellegent reasoned debate. Why not answer Ian G's questions? Why not put a reasoned and intellegent counter arguement?
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

I've got quite a few nice radio sessions on cd including kexp, kcrw, couple of breezeblocks, xfm, meltdown, etc. If people want to put together a radio sessions/rarities compilation and share it around I'm all for it and I'll glady contribute everything I've got.

dredgie
Known user

Post by dredgie »

slim wrote:Isn't it comforting to know that dredgie has grasped his new roll as board facist with both hands. I wasn't aware that every post here had to include some form of arse kissing?

What pray tell is so wrong with expressing and contrary view?

It's called an open and frank debate, but you obviously arn't up to an intellegent reasoned debate. Why not answer Ian G's questions? Why not put a reasoned and intellegent counter arguement?
hi slim, i'm no facist or arse kisser, and embrace our free world and all the opposing views in it. but there comes a point when a view turns into a bloody rant, and i feel some people here are just ranting. yes, have your say by all means, but don't bang on and on about the same thing. some people can make their point concisely and i personally prefer that.

i enjoy spiritualized's music and thought this site would be cool. but it's just full of bad grammar, spelling and obnoxious people force feeding their views on everyone else.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

dredgie wrote:

if you've had reservations since pure phase that's your problem for buying stuff you don't like. record buying is a simple concept - if you don't like it, don't buy it. i like boards of canada, so i buy the records. i don't like simply red, so i don't buy them.
Is this the final word on this subject?

I THINK NOT!

Nice how this was simplified to the lowest common denominator. Lets us know the deep tought Dredgie put into that post.

Now where is that confounded bridge?

How was my speling?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

dredgie wrote: i enjoy spiritualized's music and thought this site would be cool. but it's just full of bad grammar, spelling and obnoxious people force feeding their views on everyone else.
Sounds like you'll be right at home then Dredgie!

---------------------

On a different track - Spaceline-distributing the recent sessions stuff sounds like a fantastic idea - The session I got from you recently is fantastic [not to mention unintentionally hilarious]. I imagine the tracks on it will be pretty similar to what they've been playing in their in store appearances, very laid back, and a complete opposite to the sound of amazing grace. I wouldn't be suprised if some of this sort of stuff appeared as a proper release at some point, but to cheer alot of the depressed people up, it would be great to circulate it. It certainly gave me faith that this band can still produce excellent music.

I'll keenly help with whatever distribution is required...

----------------------

oh, and apologies for the inevitable spelling mistakes - a bit petty though Dredgie! - We're all busy people - I didn't think I was submitting my English homework to be marked. I could also rant on about what I think a discussion board should be - people arguing and debating both good and bad points - A full and frank exchange of views as it were. But really that should be patently obvious to all. - While its nice when we all agree, sometimes its more fun if we don't and this thread has been the most entertaining one I've seen in ages.
mazza
Known user

Post by mazza »

can anyone help, i'm looking for the spiritualized message board.

bitchy bitchy girls :shock:
mazza
Known user

Post by mazza »

i've got tickets for glasgow

wooohooo :lol:
dredgie
Known user

Post by dredgie »

spzretent wrote:
dredgie wrote:

if you've had reservations since pure phase that's your problem for buying stuff you don't like. record buying is a simple concept - if you don't like it, don't buy it. i like boards of canada, so i buy the records. i don't like simply red, so i don't buy them.
Is this the final word on this subject?

I THINK NOT!

Nice how this was simplified to the lowest common denominator. Lets us know the deep tought Dredgie put into that post.

Now where is that confounded bridge?

How was my speling?
must try harder!!!!!

i still need someone to explain to me why someone would keep buying records they don't like and bitching about it on the internet.

why not have a nice walk in the park instead ?
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

nasty and ian goodchild -

is there someone holding a gun at your head and forcing you to buy spiritualized records ?

nasty, if you've had reservations since pure phase that's your problem for buying stuff you don't like. record buying is a simple concept - if you don't like it, don't buy it. i like boards of canada, so i buy the records. i don't like simply red, so i don't buy them.

build a fuckin' bridge and get over it.

spiritualized owe you fuck all. go listen to something else.
Dredgie, yeah i suppose it must seem a bit silly to show so much interest in a band I find I can't really relate to anymore, but the only explanation I can give is having been around long enough at the start to appreciate the quality of music that spiritualized were delivering at that time it is all too tempting to selfishly hope that my musical needs could ever continue to be satisfied by the band despite a recent catalog which I personally consider to be largely shite.

I don't think for one minute think that spiritualized owe me anything other than fuck all, and am damned if i need a self righteous prick like you appear to be to explain that to me. Please be assured that my bridge stands fine, but I'm bored at work and the sort of shit that you spout is so prevalent on this board that I'm afraid I just can't help myself but to glance over blurb concerning a band that were once very important to me in my youth. Self indulgent I know.

Have you ever considered that the reason why people like you find it so hard to ingest such opinions from others claiming to be long time fans is that maybe you cannot quite appreciate the extent to which this band have failed to live up to certain expectations and may have even missed what for many was the initial appeal? Please try to avoid being so arrogant in assuming that you need to give me any lessons in purchasing music simply because my views do not correlate with yours, or that I don't have the right to criticise the music that I have invested in.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Well some people continue to buy records because they are completists. Sad but true.
I would say a fair number of folks who post on this site wont buy CW2 becuase what could have been a real treat has turned out to be a joke and a slap in the face to hardcore Spiritualized fans. Sure, there are a lot of fans who just buy the full length releases. They may be well interested in this. However, there a many fans who visit this site who buy EVERYTHING. Including all those ridiculous UK CD singles with lame b sides. I guess we mean nothing to J Spaceman.
There was a BBC interview w/a link w/in this site when CW1 came out. He said the reason for the release was because friends of his who own a shop in Royal Oak, Michigan used to sell tons of Spiritualized rarities at steep prices. Well that was my shop. If you want verifiaction there a few board members who will verify this. Runcible, Hardhat, Muscles etc. So CW1 was....ok. I cant get into the quality of the recording but the content was fair. Most of the conent on CW2 can be found in plenty of second hand shops in Manchester for less than a quid each.
It is true his disdain for the record company. He wouldn't even sign a poster for me at the Neptune in store becuase there was words over the gorgeous graphic of the arm. And I have known him for 10 years.
I guess the bottom line here is Jason is leading a pretty nice life. he has given me and lots of other fans a lot of pleasure with his music. He should just take a little more care in he offers fans with the choices on releases like CW2 or even single b sides for that matter.
dredgie
Known user

Post by dredgie »

i don't feel i need to give you lessons buddy, you said yourself that it's silly to show so much interest in a band you can't relate to any more.

fair dinkum man. stay bitter.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

People use message boards on the internet for a variety of reasons.
Bored at work
To express opinions
To gather information
I am always interested in other peoples opinions. That is why I visit here. I am not afraid to express my opinions either.
I would never post something as obnoxious as your posts. You seem to have everything figured out. And in such a smug manner too boot.

For instance, I posted in another thread that I hate Pavement. Obviously a lot of people disagree with me. They have sold shitloads of records. I am just curious what the reaction will be. Its all about opinions.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

i don't feel i need to give you lessons buddy, you said yourself that it's silly to show so much interest in a band you can't relate to any more.
Well your post sure sounded pretty prescriptive, or were you just getting a bit over excited about other people going to reasonable length to make a point without checking whether you had one to make yourself?

Come on, and be honest, have you ever owned a simply red record? You know, before LAGWAFIS came out?
dredgie
Known user

Post by dredgie »

i'm just glad i've given you something else to get your dander up. times are hard for self-righteous pricks.

and i've never owned a simply red record no. have you?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

[quote="dredgie"]times are hard for self-righteous pricks.
quote]

Why? Please explain. You should know.
mazza
Known user

Post by mazza »

nasty wrote:
Well your post sure sounded pretty prescriptive, or were you just getting a bit over excited about other people going to reasonable length to make a point without checking whether you had one to make yourself?

Come on, and be honest, have you ever owned a simply red record? You know, before LAGWAFIS came out?
why do you spend so much time ranting about a band you don't relate to anymore?

and i think dredgie hit a raw nerve about the simply red thing. nasty sounds like a closet mick hucknall nut !!!!