What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, spzretent, BzaInSpace, runcible

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Postby johnnyboy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:19 am

https://osr-tapes.bandcamp.com/album/sp ... in-7-osr76

Black Bananas - Spyder Brain - like an overloaded splurge of electric Miles and 80's P funk. Tasty!
johnnyboy
Known user

Postby MODLAB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:39 pm

:)
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Postby spunder » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:39 pm

the new Early Years album is excellent, wearing their Harmonia influence on their sleeves , even more so than before!
spunder
Known user

Postby olan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:15 pm

Just finished listening to the new LP from The Warlocks, Tales from the Prolapse (or something similar). It is really, really poor. Some of the vocals and lyrics are laughably bad in places... :cry:
olan
Known user

Postby imbilly » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:23 am

I can see some Sp3 influence... pretty psyched out. :o

https://0sinho.bandcamp.com
imbilly
Known user

Postby Hedspace » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:34 pm

spunder wrote:the new Early Years album is excellent, wearing their Harmonia influence on their sleeves , even more so than before!

thanks for the hu....looking forward to this album sliding through the back door (yep, theres no letterbox on the front door) over the next week.
crikey!...hard to believe Im finally going to get to see these live in November :D
Hedspace
Known user

Postby FM Spaceman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:13 pm

Spiritualized Lazer Guided Melodies ...

xx xx ...
Last edited by FM Spaceman on Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FM Spaceman
Known user

Postby Hedspace » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:26 pm

Hedspace
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:46 pm

Hamilton Leithauser & Rostam- A 1000 Times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9FILAkKinQ

Hamilton from the much missed Walkmen teaming up with a guy from Vampire Weekend. I'm not familiar with Vampire Weekend, but whatever they are doing seems to be working. what a fantastic song- Hamilton's solo album was a bit too Sinatra for me, this still has a bit of that at the beginning but also has all the power of The Walkmen :)
angelsighs
Known user

Postby spunder » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:13 am

I am enjoying the new Goat album . I like it a lot.
spunder
Known user

Postby olan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:06 pm

spunder wrote:I am enjoying the new Goat album . I like it a lot.

I can't get into the Goat LP. It has flutes and pan pipes and we operate a strictly no pan pipes rule here and frown upon any unnecessary use of the flute.* :D

I have been listening to The Heads a lot recently. Tilberg is currently playing rather loudly. It is a beast. 8)

* Defined as anywhere other than Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized records.
olan
Known user

Postby runcible » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:00 pm

olan wrote:
I can't get into the Goat LP. It has flutes and pan pipes and we operate a strictly no pan pipes rule here and frown upon any unnecessary use of the flute.* :D

Ha ha! Brilliant! Agreed 100% on pan pipes. When I hear those South American buskers with pan pipes I have to rush past. Even worse is that apparent 'relaxation' music they play in spas which has wall-to-wall pan pipes. After a minute of that I feel more stressed than ever...
runcible
Site Admin

Postby niamhm » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:40 pm

spunder wrote:I am enjoying the new Goat album . I like it a lot.

I`m with you, after initial reservations - mostly about pan pipes tbf - I`m enjoying it a lot as well.
niamhm
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:57 pm

oh I remember the pan pipe craze in the 90s- pan pipe arrangements of pop hits of the day :D
angelsighs
Known user

Postby FM Spaceman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:57 am

xx xx ...
Last edited by FM Spaceman on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
FM Spaceman
Known user

Postby spzretent » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:01 pm

http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spzretent
Site Admin

Postby johnnyboy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:15 pm

New Moon Duo track http://www.thefader.com/2016/11/01/moon ... -cold-fear

"Cold Fear," a haunting, exhilarating song with hints of '80s minimal electro no wave. Over email, Johnson told The FADER that the track "is about primal fear, like drowning, or falling endlessly in a nightmare. It's a creeping, striking feeling that is also a real rush. It makes you feel alive.”

http://www.self-titledmag.com/2016/11/0 ... ure-vol-1/
johnnyboy
Known user

Postby FM Spaceman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:44 pm

xx xx ...
Last edited by FM Spaceman on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FM Spaceman
Known user

Postby niamhm » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:25 pm

johnnyboy wrote:New Moon Duo track http://www.thefader.com/2016/11/01/moon ... -cold-fear

"Cold Fear," a haunting, exhilarating song with hints of '80s minimal electro no wave. Over email, Johnson told The FADER that the track "is about primal fear, like drowning, or falling endlessly in a nightmare. It's a creeping, striking feeling that is also a real rush. It makes you feel alive.”

http://www.self-titledmag.com/2016/11/0 ... ure-vol-1/

Liking this, plus a Saturday night gig in the diary for next yr and a new album, this kinda news makes my day, now if only Spiritualized would do the same ..

Also, Psychic Ills - Inner Journey Out, such a fine album, Spzretents lukewarm live review is making me wary but I think I`ll go see them later this month anyway.
niamhm
Known user

Postby spzretent » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:35 pm

niamhm wrote:

Also, Psychic Ills - Inner Journey Out, such a fine album, Spzretents lukewarm live review is making me wary but I think I`ll go see them later this month anyway.

It is very possible I caught them on an off night. I had heard great things about them live. Perhaps my expectations were unrealstic?
Dont let my opinion keep you from going.
spzretent
Site Admin

Postby good dope/good fun » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:39 pm

Primus
2003-11-08
good dope/good fun
Known user

Postby mc » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:43 am

After being utterly steamrollered by the new Trainspotting 2 trailer, I had to look up the astonishing song driving it:

Wolf Alice - Silk

I'd heard of them before, but never any music until now. Further proof, if any was ever needed, that today's genuinely popular (in terms of high chart position) music can be utterly wonderful :)
mc
Known user

Postby FM Spaceman » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:53 pm

xx xx ...
Last edited by FM Spaceman on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FM Spaceman
Known user

Postby shalloboi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:05 am

Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions- 'Until the Hunter'

Been waiting for this one for quite a while. I've only listened to half of it so far, but it's managing to surpass my expectations. Everything Hope's done up to this point hasn't strayed too far outside of what you'd expect from Mazzy Star, but this one is very distinctive in her solo work and her work with Mazzy Star. The first track 'Into the Trees' is over nine minutes and incredibly atmospheric, but the lyrics get fairly specific. The two singles preceding it are a pretty good indication of the stylistic range. The second song does sound like a Mazzy Star song that didn't make it onto 'Seasons of Your Day.' I guess what's always been so great about Hope's solo work and Mazzy Star is how there's really nothing wrong with that fact at all.
shalloboi
Known user

Postby FM Spaceman » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:40 pm

xx xx ...
FM Spaceman
Known user

Postby herman » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:12 pm

joan baez - here's to you : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9DsWSgkLTc
a mantra
"Wake up, the rope's around your neck"
herman
Known user

Postby FM Spaceman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:12 pm

xx xx ...
Last edited by FM Spaceman on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
FM Spaceman
Known user

Postby MODLAB » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:19 am

CHRIS LOW's POST-PUNK "MEMORABILIA MIX" Dec. 2016

https://www.mixcloud.com/chrislow1/chri ... -dec-2016/

TRACKS: Gun Club – Sex Beat / Gang of Four – Damaged Goods / Punishment Of Luxury – Puppet life / Magazine – I love you, you big dummy / Siouxsie & The Banshees – Monitor / Stereolab - Crest / Swell Maps – Let's build a car / Abwaarts – Computerstaat / CCCP - Live in Pankow / Cabaret Voltaire - Nag nag nag / Tuxedomoon – No tears / Alternative TV- Lost In A Room / Zounds – Can't cheat karma / Spizz Energi – Soldier, soldier / Delta 5 – Mind your own business / A Certain Ration – Shack up / Au Pairs – It's obvious / Wire – The 15th / Grauzone – Eizbar / Soft cell – Memorabilia / The Slits - Heard it through the grapevine / Liquid Liquid – Cavern / Lizzy Mercier Descloux - Fire
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Postby ro » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:34 pm

Oh, it's been awhile...
ro
Known user

Postby ro » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:36 pm

FM Spaceman wrote:Spiritualized Lazer Guided Melodies ...

xx xx ...

It always delights me when you post this.
ro
Known user

Postby FM Spaceman » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:55 am

Awwwww ...

Thanks ro ...

Lazer Guided Melodies ...

... Providing Little Tabby Animals With A Good Night's Sleep For The Past 16 Years ...

Super Furry "Chrismissis" All Around ...

The BIG JC And His Little Spaceman ...

xx xx ...
Last edited by FM Spaceman on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FM Spaceman
Known user

Postby spzretent » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:26 pm

spzretent
Site Admin

Postby mc » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:43 am

It's very late. I'm 36 today (technically yesterday I suppose, but I've not been to bed yet), I've set up my wonderful wife's IV fluids for the night, I've got some good beer by my side and I've just spend the best part of £100 on new music. For all of that, I'm listening to Lazer Guided Melodies, because sometimes nothing else will do. It's been with me for more than half of my life; favourites come and go, and I still devour both new and old music at a voracious rate my finances can ill afford, but I seriously doubt anything will ever supplant LGM as the most wonderful album in existence. So on that note, happy Xmas and NY, fellow Spz lovers and friends :)
mc
Known user

Postby spzretent » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:45 am

Sounds like you are in a very stressful situation. I wish you both the very best. It helps put things in the proper perspective.
Sometimes nothing works likes music you love. Nothing.
Sit back and enjoy. Sounds like you have earned it.
Happy Birthday, Happy Holidays and a very Happy & more importantly Healthy New Year.
spzretent
Site Admin

Postby mc » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:11 am

spzretent wrote:Sounds like you are in a very stressful situation. I wish you both the very best. It helps put things in the proper perspective.
Sometimes nothing works likes music you love. Nothing.
Sit back and enjoy. Sounds like you have earned it.
Happy Birthday, Happy Holidays and a very Happy & more importantly Healthy New Year.

Thanks Alan, I really appreciate your good wishes. Life has been abomninably stressful since summer, but after eighteen long weeks my wife is finally home from hospital again. We've both been trained to do the nursing aspects of the 24/7 care she needs, which is a different kind of stress, albeit one I'm hugely thankful I can take on. After a brief scare this evening that thankfully resolved itself before a hospital trip was required, she's happily asleep and I have beer, new whisky and new music to consume before bed. Another happy Xmas and NY to you and everyone else, because you all deserve it :)

PS. What am I listening to now?

SubRosa - For This We Fought The Battle Of Ages, which I've just bought and is utterly bewitching: epic, melancholy, horizon-spanning violin-driven (!) doom metal that fans of Mogwai and GY!BE's heavier output should find most enjoyable...
mc
Known user

Postby FM Spaceman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:21 pm

xx xx ...
Last edited by FM Spaceman on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FM Spaceman
Known user

Postby ro » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:30 pm

ro
Known user

Postby FM Spaceman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:10 am

xx xx ...
Last edited by FM Spaceman on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FM Spaceman
Known user

Postby good dope/good fun » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Widespread Panic

1996-06-07
The Warfield
San Fransisco, CA

Good stuff.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Postby Aquarian-Time » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:39 pm

Have given myself a 2017 target of listening to (via either ipod, turntable or cd) 1000 albums from start to finish.
I figured I was doing too much skipping through, shuffling and far too much buying without giving the albums enough airtime.

I am 25 albums in thus far and thoroughly enjoying it, listening to such a varied amount of stuff (naturally keeping a log of everything I listen to) but also making time for more listening which is effectively what buying all this stuff is surely all about.
I may or may not list each months listening but to be honest doubt anybody would be overly interested.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Postby Laz69 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:36 am

Pink Floyd - The Early Years boxset

Could never afford to splash out on the physical item, but was sent a digital copy of this set and, to my ears, its nothing shot of fabulous. Not sure if real Floyd afficienados think so highly of it, and they may well have already heard the live shows that are included, but it has opened up a whole different side of Floyd that i have not immersed myself in for a very long time.

Was always a fan, especially the earlier years, but was only really familiar with the studio albums and a few of the more common live things, but this set has really opened my eyes to the fabulous live shows they put on back then. There are songs on this that i wold never have expected to hear live and the live show from Amsterdam is just incredible. Labelled "The Man, The Journey", this live show from '69 is just fuckin incredible! Its not just a show and a batch of songs - its, as the title suggests, a journey through so much more... a discover... an adventure... a suite of music that almost projects a story. I'm sure many hardcore fans will have heard similar things from other shows, but this has really blown my mind. Shows why Pink Floyd were one of the best psychedelic bands of that era.

The superb BBC sessions with John Peel are equally good. There is a version of One Of These Days which has just become my ultimate version after thinking the Pompeii version was my definitive version for many years. Again, lots of songs that i haven't really heard other than on the studio releases, and its like hearing them for the first time all over again. The out takes/non-album tracks from the More and Zabriskie Point soundtracks are also really good, and we have the stereo version of the Live AT Pompeii too which also sounds great - it has a heavier sound to it.

Anyways, enough rambling... if you can afford the price tag, go get it... if not, try and track it down online. You won't regret it.
Laz69
Known user

Postby Aquarian-Time » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:50 am

I got the box set (after much soul searching....and lying to the missus, who took delivery !!)
Its as Laz states quite superb, as I hadn't heard the majority of it before. The sound quality is awesome and I'm nowhere near a 1/3 of the way through.
Olan mentioned to me there had been a few issues with non playing Blu Rays etc, but I checked the problem discs first and they played fine so maybe I was lucky.
Its great anyway and I'm heading into anothher disc tonight
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:43 pm

Aquarian-Time wrote:Have given myself a 2017 target of listening to (via either ipod, turntable or cd) 1000 albums from start to finish.
I figured I was doing too much skipping through, shuffling and far too much buying without giving the albums enough airtime.

I am 25 albums in thus far and thoroughly enjoying it, listening to such a varied amount of stuff (naturally keeping a log of everything I listen to) but also making time for more listening which is effectively what buying all this stuff is surely all about.
I may or may not list each months listening but to be honest doubt anybody would be overly interested.

sounds like an idea for a blog to me! :)
That's less than 3 albums a day which is doable. particularly if you drive a lot for work (get the ipod cranked up)
I know it can be hard to give albums the attention they deserve. my attention span has been decimated by the internet but I think I have good listening habits (play all the way through etc).
angelsighs
Known user

Postby stegraham » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:09 pm

I'm enjoying the new Ulrich Schnauss and Jonas Munk collaboration:

http://www.astrangelyisolatedplace.com/ ... nk-passage

I'm surprised because after the last Ulrich Strauss album I had given up on him and vowed not to buy another of his records. I didn't enjoy it "No further ahead than today" at all, neither the one before or his two albums with Mark Peters (bit dull really). But liking this new track.
stegraham
Known user

Postby TheWarmth » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:27 pm

stegraham wrote:I'm enjoying the new Ulrich Schnauss and Jonas Munk collaboration:

http://www.astrangelyisolatedplace.com/ ... nk-passage

I'm surprised because after the last Ulrich Strauss album I had given up on him and vowed not to buy another of his records. I didn't enjoy it "No further ahead than today" at all, neither the one before or his two albums with Mark Peters (bit dull really). But liking this new track.

Cool, I will check this out. I haven't listened to Manual in ages, but I have his Golden Sun and Azure Vista albums.
TheWarmth
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Trembling Bells- The Sovereign Self

a great recent discovery for me. one of those bands where I'm thinking " how did I not find them sooner?!" kinda folky in an olde worlde english way but then there's some trippyness with clean rippling guitars which is right up my alley. methinks I will be investigating more..
angelsighs
Known user

Postby spzretent » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Freelovebabies- Both CD's. Back to back.
Followed by:
Sonic Boom- Spectrum, Soul Kiss & High Lows.... Back to back to back.
spzretent
Site Admin

Postby Laz69 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:18 am

spzretent wrote:Freelovebabies- Both CD's. Back to back.

Fabulous records. Always a joy to listen to.
Laz69
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:50 pm

Feral Ohms.. yet more great stuff from Ethan Miller of Comets on Fire. they released a live album last year and the studio debut is coming soon

https://soundcloud.com/feral-ohms
angelsighs
Known user

Postby niamhm » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:08 pm

Hills - s/t debut album released on Cardinal Fuzz a few weeks back, really terrific stuff,
niamhm
Known user

Postby BzaInSpace » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:53 pm

"play fucking loud!"
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Postby runcible » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Lots of obscure(ish) late 60s/early 70s stuff. The Grease Band, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Eire Apparent, Bo Grumpus. Some interesting bits and bobs for sure...
runcible
Site Admin

Postby nghst » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:20 pm

Kurt Vile - B'lieve I'm Goin Down...

I've now listened through Smoke Ring for my Halo, Wakin on a Pretty Daze and this one. He's the first new artist I've gotten into in awhile.
nghst
Known user

Postby Hedspace » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:38 pm

"a dub track which aside from being something of an ambient reggae experiment, also acted as the blueprint for The Specials’ 'Ghost Town' track"
http://marcoonthebass.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -rock.html
Hedspace
Known user

Postby BVCP206 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:11 pm

All things Swearing At Motorists at the minute along with some Smog/Bill Callahan (not putting a smiley face as not really appropriate) but good stuff all the same :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
BVCP206
Known user

Postby mc » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:11 am

Experimental Audio Research - Worn To A Shadow

For those put off by the more obtuse, outre aspects of Sonic's career (me, I love it all), this relatively recent release is definitely one of the more mellow, bright, tuneful E.A.R. records. Fans of "Mesmerised" will find much to enjoy here.
mc
Known user

Postby Laz69 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:08 am

mc wrote:Experimental Audio Research - Worn To A Shadow

For those put off by the more obtuse, outre aspects of Sonic's career (me, I love it all), this relatively recent release is definitely one of the more mellow, bright, tuneful E.A.R. records. Fans of "Mesmerised" will find much to enjoy here.

I love this record. Have heard it once before and its just so lovely and "mesmerising" like you say... much more accessible than some of his other EAR work (i love it all anyway!)

Have never seen the disc actually being played, so until i can afford to pick up a copy, this will do :D
Laz69
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Broadcast & The Focus Group- Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age

I really like this album and recently had the inkling to dig deeper into this whole 'hauntology' thing, this type of music is strange and transporting. ordered a Ghost Box compilation thing.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby Martin L » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:45 pm

Jagwar Ma - Every Now And Then
Martin L
Known user

Postby veiko » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Have been dusting off some Sonic Boom related items. Feels so good, indeed.

veiko
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Billy Cobham- Spectrum

as with most jazz fusion, a mixed bag on this but some amazing moments too.
it's notable for a couple of reasons- Tommy Bolin (later of Deep Purple) on guitar duties, and it's where Massive Attack sampled the beat for 'Safe From Harm'
angelsighs
Known user

Postby veiko » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:54 am

Robag Wruhme - Elämä on pitkä hiljainen joki. Elu on pikk vaikne jõgi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKulS_ZaFS0

https://www.discogs.com/Robag-Wruhme-Po ... se/4249913
veiko
Known user

Postby niamhm » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:37 pm

Last 2 days the Temples new album, liked the psychedelic pop of the last album but this one seems to have moved in a more proggy/Tame Impala direction, a few really great psych/ pop tunes at the start and finish but the middle 5/6 tunes just nseem to pass in a samey/meh blur, will persevere as the good ones are cracking pop.
niamhm
Known user

Postby FM Spaceman » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:32 pm

xx xx ...
Last edited by FM Spaceman on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
FM Spaceman
Known user

Postby olan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:48 pm

olan
Known user

Postby spzretent » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:12 am

Best sounding vinyl I have heard in like forever!
spzretent
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Music (Dedicated to Fuzzhead)