Can

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Can

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

Looking for a bit of help here.

Just got my first blast of Can when i got my hands on Tago Mago last night. I was totally blown away.

Looks like they have a long history and i was hoping someone here could recommend their best ones

Oh and can anyone recommend some other krautrock bands?

Thanks in advance
bunnyben
Known user

Re: Can

Post by bunnyben »

that's my favorite can album. the track 'amug' blows my mind
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

me too! such an incredible album.

i totally love 'halleluwah'. does anyone else think that track sounds like the happy mondays? (yes, Can DID have access to a time machine!)
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

CAN are just amazing, for a pop side of things check out the tracks 'I want more' and '...And More' from Flow motion. Pure genius. Ege Bamyasi is a classic, not sure your tastes in music but it goes a bit crazy in the middle with some dirty noise. Great, great album though! Vitamin C, Im so Green and Spoon is one of my favorite tracks ever! Sountracks is another blinder with 'Mother Sky' on, which is 14 minutes of guitar wigout and is astonishing the first time you hear it. You dont ever want it to end. Check them out. Early albums contain longer tracks and are more sprawling. Its been written (and I don't know if its true) that The Stone Roses heard 'Yoo Doo Right' from Monster Movie and borrowed it for Fools Gold. It does have that kind of feel. Check them out they are great.

Other bands to explore are Neu! (all 3 albums are worth getting). If you like Primal Scream then 'Shoot speed kill light' is a heavier take on Neu! The last album with the black cover is a masterpeice. Faust are another band to check. Faust IV is another classic starting with the track 'Krautrock' which is a wall of sound which evolves into a driving rhythm track. Its hard to explain and Im probably not the best person to do it as Im not the most elequant person on this board. Buy it though, you'll love it. Kraftwork are another band to check out. Early stuff is rawer and more experimental and then they evolve this electronic sound which still retains some of the organic qualities of the older work. Autobahn is a classic, Trans Europe Express too. Another great krautrock band is Harmonia, A live album came out earlier this year and its beautiful. Musik von Harmonia is also a marvel. Lots of fizzing synths and loping drum machines. A really, really nice listen! The list is endless! Hope this rambling is of some use!

good luck!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I’ve got Tago Mago, Ege Bamayasi and Monster Movie- all fantastic albums. Tago Mago has got to be the best I reckon (but I must admit I’m not always in the mood for the far out ambient tracks in the middle) but if you like that you’ll deffo like the others.

Dunno if its coz I’ve got them on Super CD or whatever it it's called, or just good production, but these albums sound fantastic- I love the drum sound and the guitar tones.. so great to get lost in.

I’ve tried Neu but they’re not quite floating my boat yet. I would recommend Faust too though- got Faust IV and took me ages to get into it but its clicked recently, and I love it- Krautrock is an amazing churning beast of hazy drones, then there’s a bit of weird reggae inflected pop later on, piano bits, but somehow it all holds together. The full version of ‘Just a Second (starts like that)’ on the 2nd CD is my favourite 10 minutes of this sound I’ve yet heard.

Also totally recommend a Kraftwerk bootleg someone posted on here a while back- a live show of an early guitar driven lineup featuring members of Neu(?)- its intense stuff- repetitive but pulverising that should appeal to anyone who likes Spacemen 3
Last edited by angelsighs on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

No one seems to mention 'Oh Yeah' from Tago Mago which is easily my favourite Can track. Every time I play it it really gets to me - the backward vocals, the increasing keyboard throb... Amazing stuff.

I'd also recommend the album Future Days which is a very easy listen on side A and features the wonderful Moonshake. Side B is all one long track but it's really good too.

Neu! go without saying. All 3 albums are worth getting. Neu! 2 is filled with slowed down and sped up versions of other tracks and is the least consistent, but it features Fur Immer which is a candidate for their finest moment (and a blueprint for Stereolab's drone work later on).
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

simonkeeping wrote: Kraftwork are another band to check out. Trans Europe Express too.

good luck!
you'll become obsesed with the song 'hall of mirrors' such a great song! everytime you see a mirror you'll think of it
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote: Also totally recommend a Kraftwerk bootleg someone posted on here a while back- a live show of an early guitar driven lineup featuring members of Neu(?)- its intense stuff- repetitive but pulverising that should appeal to anyone who likes Spacemen 3
can you upload it please?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bunnyben wrote:
angelsighs wrote: Also totally recommend a Kraftwerk bootleg someone posted on here a while back- a live show of an early guitar driven lineup featuring members of Neu(?)- its intense stuff- repetitive but pulverising that should appeal to anyone who likes Spacemen 3
i'll have a go when I get a chance- it should be somewhere in blog-land though if you search hard enough. Or perhaps someone here has the original link? :)
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Thanks for all the tips guys! I feel a new direction has started. Dug up Trans Euro Express after listening to Can last night, had it for years , just never given it the time of day. :roll:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Yep.
Tago Mago, Future Days and Ege Bamyasi are all essential until you get hooked and you may as well pick up most of the catalog.
Apart from NEU! Faust 4 is a krautrock classic too.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:
bunnyben wrote:
i'll have a go when I get a chance- it should be somewhere in blog-land though if you search hard enough. Or perhaps someone here has the original link? :)
what's it called?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

cheers! looking forward to getting on this!
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

what about 'THIEF' ????

that's such an amazing track, the lyrics do my head in. pick up Delay 1968.

it's always great to hear something that blows you away. you'll be on a CAN trip for weeks.

me.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Amon Duul II- Yeti
Amon Duul II- Phallus Dei
Kraftwerk- Everything apart from Electric Cafe
Twelve-03- http://www.myspace.com/twelvemusic
Eat lights; Become lights- http://www.myspace.com/eatlightsbecomelights
Einstellung- http://www.myspace.com/einstellung
Cluster- Sowiesoso, Zuckerzeit, Cluster & Eno
Harmonia- Delux, Harmonia 76 with Brian Eno
Neu- Neu, Neu2
La Dusseldorf- La Dusseldorf
Can- Future Days, Tago Mago, Peel Sessions, Soundtracks.
Appliance- Imperial Metric, Manual, Are you Earthed, Pacific EP
Death in Vegas- Satans Circus
The Early Years- The Early Years
Holy Fuck- Holy Fuck
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

angelsighs wrote:this is the one!

its awesome.

http://www.taringa.net/posts/musica/143 ... -(DD).html
My God. I downloaded this last night and played on the bus on the way to work this morning. I was astonished - absolutely fantastic stuff. I'm no great expert on Kraftwerk but I had no idea they ever sounded like this. Michael Rother's guitar is superb and so recognisable and Klaus Dinger's percussion is brilliant. The whole things sounds much more Neu-esque to my ears than anything else - I can see why friction ensued and the Neu! boys left the band. Great rhythms and textures and the electronic side of things is much more in the background. And brilliant quality - proper live album standard.

Thanks so much for pointing me towards this - it made my morning very bright!
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

spzretent wrote:Yep.
Tago Mago, Future Days and Ege Bamyasi are all essential until you get hooked and you may as well pick up most of the catalog.
Apart from NEU! Faust 4 is a krautrock classic too.

I concur
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

runcible wrote:

its awesome.

...Michael Rother's guitar is superb and so recognisable
quote]

Understated but perfect, I love his playing so much
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Thanks so much for pointing me towards this - it made my morning very bright!
Same here thanks very much thats a great find! You can see glimses of future songs coming through on the last track with the flute. Fantastic stuff!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

its awesome.

merci!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

They Transmit wrote: Death in Vegas- Satans Circus
ofcourse! i never evn thought of these, man they're good!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

glad people are enjoying the kraftwerk boot, it's brilliant isn't it? I can't take credit for the find though as like i say someone else posted it on here yonks ago- cant remember who though.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:glad people are enjoying the kraftwerk boot, it's brilliant isn't it? I can't take credit for the find though as like i say someone else posted it on here yonks ago- cant remember who though.
but you brought back its memory, that deserves credit :D
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

They Transmit wrote: Kraftwerk- Everything apart from Electric Cafe
Cluster- Zuckerzeit, Cluster & Eno
Harmonia- Delux, Harmonia 76 with Brian Eno
Neu- Neu, Neu2
La Dusseldorf- La Dusseldorf
Can- Future Days, Tago Mago, Peel Sessions, Soundtracks.
good albums..ehrm I know its sort of a sterile pop album and not ahead of its time or as cool, but i prefer electric cafe over radioaktivität.. maybe it´s personal nostalgia because i was a fan when it came out but I think der telefon anruf and sex objekt are more fun than quite a lot of other kraftwerk stuff
ich bin nicht dein sex objekt/ deine tricks sind fast perfekt.. and then stephen hawking on guest vocals! (maybe perhaps yes) :lol:

the lossless version of the kraftwerk boot can be found here:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=141508

I think it´s oop but stay away from neu4!! it stinks :?
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Just could never really get into Electric Cafe, its ok but just never clicked with me. Yep poor Klaus stuck out Neu4 on his own, sadly a poor effort. Great drummer though R.I.P
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Manuel Gottsching, Ashra, Ash Ra Tempel. I have been floating away to New Age Of Earth lately but Blackouts and Starring Rosi are essential. Also Inventions For Electric Guitar, The Private Tapes, and of course E2-E4.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Whic is the best Ash Ra Temple to go for? I prefer the more percussion-orientated Krautrock to the ambient side but if something is really good I'm always interested. Some go on about Seven Up (does Timothy Leary do the vocals on this?), others say Schwingungen, and there's also praise for the self-titled album. Anyone got any good recommendations?
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Ash ra temple were always a bit too "cosmic" for my taste, I really dig the motorik side of things
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

As far as Can go i'd say the first 4 albums are the best, my own personal faves being Monster Movie & Ege Bam Yasi. Also special mention for Delay. Not sure about You Doo Right & Fools Gold but i'm certain Stereolab based Metronomic Underground on it and the good part of their career on Neu!
Ash Ra Tempel? The first 2: Self titled & Schwingungen. The first few releases tend to split into two separate styles on each album, cosmic blues & spacerock and total ambience. Seven Up does indeed feature Leary on vocals with Brian Barritt (check out Barritt's autobiography "Road of Excess, excellent read.)
If you like that Kraftwerk bootleg then check out Kraftwerk 1& 2 and also Tone float for a similar sound.
Faust IV would definitely be my favourite of theirs & i would also say their most accessible, but the Faust Tapes is worth checking out too.
Have to also mention Tangerine Dream. Their first 2, Electronic Meditation & Alpha Centauri, which to me are very much like Set the Controls.. Floyd type stuff. This was a few years before they discovered synths.
All the Neu! related stuff has some fantastic moments and would certainly be my fave of all Krautrock. Happy listening.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I love Can! :D

I would agree with everything mentioned here as far as their albums go - 'Delay 1968', good call Shonn.

'Ege Bamyasi', 'Tago Mago' and 'Future Days' are absolute classics! 'Future Days' is, as Runcie says, totally amazing.

'Soundtracks' and 'Soon Over Babaluma' are well worth checking out also...

I would say though, make sure you pick up the remastered editions of the albums - the difference between them and the original CD issues is astonishing -
They Transmit wrote: Death in Vegas- Satans Circus
Great to see that getting a mention! A well underated album, and for me the best album they did...
O P 8
spacemanT
Known user

Post by spacemanT »

I know it has been mentioned already but I can't recommend highly enough the Hamonia albums " Von harmonia & Deluxe" also the one they did with Eno. Much better than the sum of their parts ( NEU & Cluster). Roedelius has some beautiful Solo albums too but there is alot of them- "Works "is a good place to start, its not all good ,but ideal for an overview for what you might like.
Love ASHRA 's " New Age" (1978)the missing link between Tangerine Dream & Global Communication.
Also if Tangerine dreams excellent Phaedra or Rubycon are too electronic for you , check out ATEM, which is more like Floyd era Saucerful of Secrets!
First 3 CAN albums are great and of course Kraftwerk. While we are on the subject, I always find the guitar on the orig of Autobahn, to be a template for Jason's beautiful sound .T
SpacemanT
Music - Keep it Future Proof - Keep it Lossless
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Another attempt to part you from your hard-earned: http://mute.com/mute/17-piece-vinyl-box ... 2-december
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_ ... mbers_of_c

A few months or so prior to American vocalist Malcolm Mooney joining them, in 1968, the core members of Can (Irmin Schmidt, Holger Czukay, Michael Karoli and Jaki Liebezeit) and flutist David Johnson, under the name The Inner Space, recorded some songs and audio cues for a low budget German political satire titled Agilok & Blubbo. Directed by Peter F. Schneider and starring counterculture feminist icon/groupie Rosemarie Heinikel (aka Rosy Rosy), it would be the first time “experimental” music would be used for the soundtrack to a German film.

Rosy Rosy would go on to sing with Guru Guru, produce radio and children’s programming and write her autobiography (which included details of her trysts with Donovan and Frank Zappa). In 2009, the complete music for Agilok & Blubbo was released by Wah Wah Records.

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Were you to purchase the new box set from Piccadilly it will set you back £336, before postage :shock: .
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:Were you to purchase the new box set from Piccadilly it will set you back £336, before postage :shock: .
I've seen it quoted at £299 + delivery. As there are 17 180g LPs and a book in the box, I imagine delivery will be no laughing matter. I have left a few heavy hints (sorry) with my wife about this. As the majority of dinner conversation from my kids these days is either Halloween coustumes or Xmas Presents, I decided that I would join in when Xmas presents next came up. As an idea it was met with stony silence.... :( Looks like I'll have to buy it myself (and carry the bugger home). :( :( :(
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

its awesome.

Would anyone be willing to share a copy of this please? My old pc, which this was saved on, died some time ago and I would love to hear this again.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Here you go:

Kraftwerk : Radio Bremen '71

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vj0m34z7okw1 ... 9V3Ta?dl=0
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Yes! Thank you!