Supersonic 2012

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

plastic37
Known user

Supersonic 2012

Post by plastic37 »

Hello,
I noticed some posts on this years Supersonic on last years thread. So i thought I'd do the honours.
The highlight for me will be Kim Gordon's reverse karaoke. There's so much going on offstage this year.
http://www.supersonicfestival.com/news/ ... more/2012/

"The visitor is invited to play the instruments and record their own music along with a pre-recorded vocal track of Kim Gordon’s voice"

What other UK festival would give you - yes YOU! an opportunity to do this?
Heavy Tourism
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Supersonic 2012

Post by angelsighs »

day tickets have been announced.. think i'm gonna go to the Saturday. will miss Six Organs which is a shame but I have seen them before.

http://www.supersonicfestival.com/news/ ... nced/2012/

and yeah that Kim Gordon thing looks really interesting, will definitely have a go on that!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Gnod have been added to the Sunday lineup.. (I know there's a few fans here)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

well, what a fantastic day of music that was. I was so lucky most of the bands I wanted to see were playing on the same day, one after another.
the setting was really apt too- warehouses, under railways arches, lots of dank urban spaces perfect for the often dark and noisy music.

first up were Hookworms, my first time seeing them and they didn't disappoint. big swirls of wah-wah guitar (very cool how one guitarist had a stance where he was basically always stood on his wah pedal, and next to his amp getting plenty of feedback), and I love the driving krautrock rhythms too. only thing was, the set was over far too soon. a mere 30 mins or so, bit of a pricktease :) enjoyed the set so much though, I got their Live Vol 2 set from the merch stand which is a CD/DVD set in lovely packaging.

one silver lining of a short Hookworms set was that I was able to catch most of Dylan Carlson's set after all.. however it was the only disappointment of the day for me. I do quite like a bit of Earth so was interesting in seeing what this was like, but it didn't do anything for me, it just seemed rather weak. it was Dylan on guitar, a woman on vocals, and a guy on seemingly random percussion (bells, cymbals etc). he seems to be into this Olde England schtick at the moment (covered songs by Richard Thompson and PJ Harvey) which is potentially interesting but it just seemed quite amateur in a way.

next up Flower-Corsano Duo. pure improv isn't strictly my thing (although I do have one of this bands records which I like) so wasn't sure what to expect, but I really enjoyed it. Michael Flower plays a japanese banjo which sounds like a highly amplified sitar with a healthy element of drone... and of course Corsano is a beast on the drums. occasional moments where my attention wandered a little, but overall it was interesting to see pure music created right in front of my eyes.. some tranquil, floaty moments as well as some surprisingly loud parts. they got a surprisingly large crowd too.

Rangda next- I was slightly apprehensive as I'm not overly keen on the new album, it lacks the thrills of the first one and the songs seem bitty and unfinished somehow (and there's still two 'spaghetti western' songs on there I can't tell apart.. haha).
but it was fantastic. the new songs sounded much more dynamic live (I think the mastering/production on Formerly Extinct may be a little lacking, perhaps?..) and the guitars were so clean, sharp and biting (nice contrast to the trippy/reverbed guitars elsewhere from other bands). what great musicians they all are, particularly great to see Ben tear it up (saw that some of the soloing on Bull Lore involves him moving the note by detuning the string on the fly- very nice!).
I was still slightly disappointed that there wasn't more earlier material in the set, my heart sank a little when (after a shot of spirits for Chris Corsano's birthday!) they said they had only one more song.. however that song was Plain of Jars!! oh my... it was positively orgasmic. definitely one of the highlights of the day.

finally, Carlton Melton. as mentioned elsewhere on the board, their current set starts with the more drone based material and then builds up and gets more rocky near the end. it was like one big space-rock trip. I must admit there were moments early in the set where I was getting a little bored (and obviously quite tired by this point).. but as soon as the fella got behind the drumkit, it was vertical lift off time!! the final song (their Pink Floyd cover) went crazy- immense guitar sounds accompanied by mammoth drumming and all the rock tricks in the book- gurning, 'rawk' poses and, at one point, handing the guitar to a member of the crowd to join in!! it was simply mindblowing. nothing could follow that.

all in all a great day and i'm definitely gonna keep an eye on next years lineup.