Spiritualized with the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra at Øya

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

Spiritualized with the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra at Øya

Postby Feedback Forever » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:15 am

Morning, all!

Just received an email from the Øya Festival in Oslo with the announcement that Spiritualized will be playing this year's festival with the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra on Wednesday 9 August. Exciting news! Apparently, the gig is a bit of a one-off. Does anyone know of similar gigs? I wonder whether this will be in support of the new album or another LAGWAFIS-show? I'll book my ticket ASAP anyway.
Feedback Forever
Known user

Re: Spiritualized with the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra at Øy

Postby James T » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Love Oslo, might look at going. Have been in august the past 2 years and its always fun.
James T
Known user

Postby MODLAB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:29 pm

22 hours of light... Spiritualized... I think it would be an a amazing time.
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Postby Feedback Forever » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:16 pm

According to the festival's website, Jason will be performing material spanning his whole career. A proper show, then. Well excited now. Hopefully the new album will be cracking too.
Feedback Forever
Known user

Postby BzaInSpace » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:09 pm

[Spiritualized will be playing this year's festival with the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra...]

At last.

That will be an incredible show. Last time they played a 'career-spanning' gig they threw in the new album well before it was released.

High times indeed! :D
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Postby James T » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:35 pm

Can't make sense of the ticketing situation.
James T
Known user

Postby Jasonsmith » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:39 pm

http://www.aftenposten.no/kultur/Musika ... 5269b.html

According to Google translate it implies here that it's an LAGWAFIS show.I's pretty expensive for a day ticket too, €112. Throw in the flight and hotel and I'm looking at around € 500 for this one festival show (even if it is in a tent) so I think I'll give this a miss. Having said that if they do Pure Phase I'll kill myself...

Just booked ticket, hotel, and flight :? Weird line up on that day, thrash metal and hip-hop, with Lana del Rey headlining...
Jasonsmith
Known user

Postby James T » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Of everything, hotels are actually pretty great and well priced in Oslo. i've been 5 times and always spent a reasonable price, especially compared to London, Paris, etc... Expensive for everything else though. Flights from manchester are dirt cheap usually, so I could book them even if I don't end up using. if it was a LAGWAFIS show I'll give it a miss.
James T
Known user

Postby Jasonsmith » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:41 am

I hope they include Spread your wings as an encore. I remember being a bit disappointed that out of sight was the song not on LAGWAFIS to be given the orchestral treatment at these shows. Medication would be cool: I have often fantasized about winning the lottery and sponsoring an orchestral staging of pure phase where I could stand on stage and ding the triangle at the end of the intro and then retire to the wings having played onstage with Spiritualized. :D
Jasonsmith
Known user

Postby Feedback Forever » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:59 am

According to Google translate it implies here that it's an LAGWAFIS show.

Yes, the article implies that, but according to the festival it will be a career-spanning set. If it was a LAGWAFIS-show, it would probably have been billed as that?
Feedback Forever
Known user

Postby Jasonsmith » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:47 pm

I would be overjoyed if it was a career-spanning concert, I've already seen two LAGWAFIS shows, in London and Dublin. The LICD shows with the brass section gave something to the live experience that was missing in the stripped down AG incarnation that has kind of been recaptured with the addition of the gospel singers but a full-on orchestra + choir treatment of songs like medication, feel so sad, let it flow, so long you pretty thing, lord can you hear me,don't just do something, won't get to heaven (the state I'm in), take good care of it, shine a light and smiles would send me into seventh heaven. If I had my way every gig would have a line-up like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoTJZh5mSw
Jasonsmith
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:25 am

Jasonsmith wrote: If I had my way every gig would have a line-up like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoTJZh5mSw

great stuff.
I think there's one main reason why the shows aren't like this any more- MONEY! I am sure Jason partly does want to strip things down sometimes but the fact the bottom has dropped out of the record industry probably doesn't help. Having classically trained musos on violin/saxphone/vibraslap isn't cheap. Probably only feasible for one off 'event' shows like these.
angelsighs
Known user

Return to Gigs (Dates Only)