"The San Francisco Sound" by Ralph J. Gleason

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

redcloud
Known user

"The San Francisco Sound" by Ralph J. Gleason

Post by redcloud »

The end of summer is nigh. This morning, while my daughter was having an extra tuition lesson for math before the new school year begins, I wandered down to a used book store. Low and behold I stumbled on this nugget:

Keep in mind, I have only ever physically held this book once before when a collector buddy of mine let me read his copy about 10 years ago. I have searched for it over the years but when I found them on Amazon marketplace or eBay they were always too expensive. Only one edition of this book was ever printed back in '69. It was a dated book as soon as it was released making it a collectors item of a bygone era. Gleason wrote for the SF Chronicle and Rolling Stone and championed not only the Airplane but also many of the other Haight-Ashbury/Bay Area bands. This book discusses the "revolution" as Gleason saw it in popular music and highlights the Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Janis/Big Brother & The Holding Company, Country Joe & The Fish & Santana as leading the way. He also writes about some of the 2nd and 3rd tier Bay Area bands who received less exposure.

Best bit.....it was only $8.00! Pages a bit yellow from age, cover a little worn but for a 42 year old book it is in very good condition. Having seen copies in this condition on the web for rarely less than $30 and as high as $150 this was a SCORE!

:D