Searching For Sugar Man

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sunray
Known user

Searching For Sugar Man

Post by sunray »

This seems like it could be good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL5TffdOQ7g

Most people will probably know him through the song "Sugarman" on David Holmes' "Come Get It I Got It".
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Hofstadter
Known user

Re: Searching For Sugar Man

Post by Hofstadter »

It's supposed to be fantastic! I'm seeing it on Friday.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Mrs Shines and I applied for freebie tickets for the preview screening in Brighton a couple of weeks but were too late. Definitely want to see it when it hits town though.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Saw it today instead of yesterday - absolutely great. Even in movies that I find hilarious, I don't really laugh/smile much - there was a solid twenty minutes in this movie were I could not wipe the smile from my face - if you see it you will understand :). It's no 8 mile but.... just kidding just kidding. I saw A True Testimonial last week, so this is the second (semi-) Detroit based music documentary I've seen in the span of 8 or so days, and they were both just awesome. Rodriguez's music sounds great, and the ultimate sense of joy you get from the movie is really worth it. The story is almost unbelievable - it seems like it's fantasy. There's some more stuff I want to say, but I can't do so without spoiling stuff (that's right, a documentary can have spoilers!) HIGHLY recommended. (Also, don't look up any information about the film before seeing it).
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Saw it @ The Cornerhouse last week, absolutely amazing film/documentary. I wont spoil anything, but its fantastically put together and the sense of the feel good factor you get at the end of the film is hard to describe. His music is a bity special as well.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Hofstadter wrote: It's no 8 mile but.... just kidding just kidding. I saw A True Testimonial last week, so this is the second (semi-) Detroit based music documentary I've seen in the span of 8 or so days, and they were both just awesome. it).
At the end of the day Detroit can hang its hat on its musical heritage. Not sure many places outside of maybe London, Manchester, Memphis and New York compare.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

This is now playing in Portland. Great write up in our local rag too. Looking forward to seeing it.

Hofstadter...glad you saw 'A True Testimonial'. It is required viewing for any fan of rock and roll. Absolutely essential in my book.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Yeah it was pretty rad - I've been giving it to my friends to watch, and they've all been loving it as well - again thanks for the rec.

There were copies of the Rodriguez albums lying around at dublab since he was here in 2008 (right when the film was being put together I believe - if anybody is interested in them and can't find them, message me and I can point you in the right direction...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Saw this tonight. Nice to go to sleep knowing you are going to wake up with a smile on your face, Great movie.
How was David Holmes not mentioned? Or did I miss that? He is who got me into Rodriguez years ago.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I just saw the trailer for this... can't believe i hadn't looked into this before now! Looks superb!
zeeshan
New user

Post by zeeshan »

Thanks for sharing...! :)
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

spzretent wrote:Saw this tonight. Nice to go to sleep knowing you are going to wake up with a smile on your face, Great movie.
How was David Holmes not mentioned? Or did I miss that? He is who got me into Rodriguez years ago.
Totally agree about David Holmes, was a little surprising to say the least? I guess it was more focused on the South Africa story. Still, I did expect him to at least get a thank you at the end.

Amazing film though, what a fantastic, heart warming story. So glad I finally got to see it too.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
the dreamer
New user

Post by the dreamer »

I'd read a few decebt reviews about this film so decided to give it a viewing... And I end up discovering some very special music by a very special man. Magnifique :)