The Spiritualized Film Club

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

redcloud
Known user

Re: The Spiritualized Film Club

Post by redcloud »

Took the kids to see 'ParaNorman' today. Stop motion animation by the same makers as 'Coraline'. Also shot completely in town here at a local film studio (Laika Studios). Very funny!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Watched Avengers last night. Was disappointed, must be getting old and getting tired
of all these CGI movies.

B,

M
Design.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

MODLAB wrote:Watched Avengers last night. Was disappointed, must be getting old and getting tired
of all these CGI movies.
Perhaps I am getting old too because I am not interested in all these super hero movies. Hollywood is obsessed with them and keep churning them out.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think someone here recommend the film, We Need To Talk About Kevin. Man, that was a fucking heavy movie. Recommended, though. Very well done. Also, I was blown away by Jeff, Who Lives At Home, which features Jason Segel (Freaks & Geeks) and Ed Helms (The Office). I thought that movie was absolutely wonderful. Anyone else seen it?
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Fell asleep in the Bourne Legacy the other night... love the first three, and I rarely fall asleep during movies.... but it was just stupid. It could be enjoyable though, I just felt like it was not worth spending even an ounce of energy paying attention to. Just drifted in and out to various fight scenes - I think I slept through the entire second hour or so and didn't even realize it (the fact that the movie had a whole second hour says something about how unnecessary the movie was overall...). Fun times could still be had watching it I guess though.

The other night I did go to the live RiffTrax/mst3k event at the theatre - and oh my, even though I went alone since my friend bailed last minute due to a miscommunication (two different people bailing in me in roughly a week or so... bummer :( ), I laughed and smiled more than I have in a LONG time - it was absolutely hilarious. I've been a big fan of mst3k for a long time, even though I guess it was sorta before my time - for those of you who don't know, mst3k=mystery science theatre 3000 - it was a show that was on comedy central and SciFi for pretty much the entire 90s - they would just show really crappy, old, bad scifi and horror b-movies and essentially just make fun of them as they were playing - the same guys now do RiffTrax, which is pretty much the same thing, the only real differences being that they release the content online and that they riff on more popular/mainstream movies. I was pretty excited to see that there was going to be a live "NCM Fathom Event" where they do their stuff live. The movie this time was a terrible (duh) movie from '66 called "Manos: Hands of Fate" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manos:_The_Hands_of_Fate) - I won't take the time to describe it (trust me, not worth it), but the three guys had me in stitches. I can't wait for the next one - Birdemic. Got my TIXX already.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

redcloud wrote:
MODLAB wrote:Watched Avengers last night. Was disappointed, must be getting old and getting tired
of all these CGI movies.
Perhaps I am getting old too because I am not interested in all these super hero movies. Hollywood is obsessed with them and keep churning them out.
I have to agree with you. It's become the same routine over and over again. Problem is getting good indie films here.

M
Design.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Snowtown - True story of an Austrailian serial killer, very harrowing, very intense, well worth a watch.
'Remember, change is not good'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BVCP206 wrote:Snowtown - True story of an Austrailian serial killer, very harrowing, very intense, well worth a watch.
Fuck me that was a grim film. The killer in it was absolutely terrifying - the bit where he throws kangaroo carcasses over a child molester's veranda was very sinister.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote:
BVCP206 wrote:Snowtown - True story of an Austrailian serial killer, very harrowing, very intense, well worth a watch.
Fuck me that was a grim film. The killer in it was absolutely terrifying - the bit where he throws kangaroo carcasses over a child molester's veranda was very sinister.
It was the fact it was based on ture events that made it even more shocking and yes the killer is genuinely terrifying brilliant acting.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

'Anonymous'

A film about the theory that Shakespeare's plays, poetry and sonnets were actually written by a ghost writer (Earl of Oxford). Not a bad film but not brilliant. Interesting how they decided to portray the Bard as a bumbling drunk and a bit of a lad. His character actually reminded me of Russel Brand.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just come back from the flicks having seen The Imposter, a documentary film about the true story of a missing US child who resurfaces in Spain 4 years later. He's clearly not the same child but the family readily accept him into their lives. A very strange tale, though I must admit, none of the Americans come out looking good in it. From the totally incompetent FBI and Embassy staff to the family themselves (classic quote from the missing kid's sister "I thought, Spain, that's right on the other side of the country right?"). The story is so ridiculous its hard to imagine that it's actually true and you almost forget that after all this, the kid is still missing. Anyway, it was quite a good watch, though it might infuriate our Stateside forumites who might take it as a bit of Yank-bashing (don't worry chaps, I can honestly say you don't have a total monolopy on idiots!!! :wink: ).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Much bigger population equals much bigger numbers of idiots.
You need look no further that the 2012 Presidential election for proof of this.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

BVCP206 wrote:
runcible wrote:
It was the fact it was based on ture events that made it even more shocking and yes the killer is genuinely terrifying brilliant acting.
I was living in Melbourne and regularly travelling to Adelaide when the whole thing came to light. It still gives me the creeps to the extent that I have willfully avoided watching the movie. The way Australian TV News covered the whole thing was pretty horrible. Unsurprising really when you consider who owns the commercial TV channels down there.....
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Let The Right One In (not the remake)
Moon
This Must Be The Place

All fantastic and worth watching.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Moon - I loved that so much when I saw it! Great atmosphere.

Just saw Samsara - pretty cool. The visual progression was certainly spectacular, if a bit predictable/not exactly subtle at all (with the exception of a few SUBLIMELY subtle moments). The music was pretty cool too. Go bonkered or level-headed, you will enjoy it either way. Oddly, the cinematographer/director, producer, and music director were all there to introduce the movie (benefits of living in LA), but they didn't stick around for questions after, which happens pretty frequently at the arclight. Oh well. The 70 mm production certainly showed through - colors popped, landscapes wowed, etc. Not quite sure if it really resonated on a deeper level as a whole, although parts of it certainly did. Worth seeing.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Eddie The Sleepwalking Cannibal

Utterly hilariously ridiculous!
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Watched a bunch of good films recently.

Winter's Bone
The Lincoln Lawyer
We Need To Talk About Kevin
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Anvil - The Story Of Anvil
Tabloid ("documentary on a former Miss Wyoming who is charged with abducting and imprisoning a young Mormon Missionary")
Deep Water ("documentary about the disastrous 1968 round-the-world yacht race")

The three documentaries are excellent.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Kill List

Finally saw this film, which was talked about in here a few months back. Holy hell.....good film, but, I honestly couldn't watch the hammer scene. I was like a big girl with my hand over my eyes saying "I can't watch this". But, as horrible as that scene was the ending was even worse. :cry:

Like I said above, good film but not a pleasant experience to watch it.

Have to admit, also that my wife and I struggled at times understanding some of the dialog. She's English and I lived in the country for many years. Either we have been away too long or the diction and articulation wasn't particularly clean.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

redcloud wrote:Kill List

Finally saw this film, which was talked about in here a few months back. Holy hell.....good film, but, I honestly couldn't watch the hammer scene. I was like a big girl with my hand over my eyes saying "I can't watch this". But, as horrible as that scene was the ending was even worse. :cry:

Like I said above, good film but not a pleasant experience to watch it.

Have to admit, also that my wife and I struggled at times understanding some of the dialog. She's English and I lived in the country for many years. Either we have been away too long or the diction and articulation wasn't particularly clean.
Glad you 'enjoyed' it. Pretty unsettling isn't it.

The main character has a London accent doesn't he, quite a geezer type. His friend has a strong Irish accent so that can be harder to follow (unless you're Irish of course, in which case the geezer accent may be harder to follow.......and so on and so on).

Might be time for me to watch this one again soon.

On my cinema list are: Killing Them Softly and Looper. I did see ParaNorman recently and that was great fun. Took my daughter to see it and she loved it. She's a fan of Coraline too.
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

TheWarmth wrote:I think someone here recommend the film, We Need To Talk About Kevin. Man, that was a fucking heavy movie. Recommended, though. Very well done. Also, I was blown away by Jeff, Who Lives At Home, which features Jason Segel (Freaks & Geeks) and Ed Helms (The Office). I thought that movie was absolutely wonderful. Anyone else seen it?
Not seen 'Jeff...' But I think I might have to now. I think it was me that recommended 'We need to talk about kevin'. Super film indeed, but dark as.
Hey Jayne
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Well its mid-term here in Scotland and the entire family is off so we are planning a family movie night later this week. Any recommendations for some good family movies that people here have enjoyed? Not a big fan of the Harry Potter series and we need to cover the ages 9-17 so, any recommendations welcome!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote:Well its mid-term here in Scotland and the entire family is off so we are planning a family movie night later this week. Any recommendations for some good family movies that people here have enjoyed? Not a big fan of the Harry Potter series and we need to cover the ages 9-17 so, any recommendations welcome!
If you talking about recently released DVDs then I can recommend the last Ardman movie The Pirates in an adventure with Scientists. We preferred the Walalce and Grommit series, but The Pirates has something for all ages. Went down a treat with my kids (ages 2-9), my wife and I and even a visiting grandmother.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

going to see the Led Zep concert movie tonight.. I'm actually rather excited
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

olan wrote:
Laz69 wrote:Well its mid-term here in Scotland and the entire family is off so we are planning a family movie night later this week. Any recommendations for some good family movies that people here have enjoyed? Not a big fan of the Harry Potter series and we need to cover the ages 9-17 so, any recommendations welcome!
If you talking about recently released DVDs then I can recommend the last Ardman movie The Pirates in an adventure with Scientists. We preferred the Walalce and Grommit series, but The Pirates has something for all ages. Went down a treat with my kids (ages 2-9), my wife and I and even a visiting grandmother.
I loved Pirates. Took my daughter when it first came out and now have it on DVD.

She's 4 and a half, took her to see ParaNorman which was great fun, and then Hotel Transylvania last weekend which was good too but I preferred ParaNorman. Go see that. Frankenweenie is out now as well, the new Tim Burton stop motion film. I'm a sucker for those types (Coraline, Corpse Bride, Nightmare Before Xmas all sit in my girls DVD collection now). Then there's Madagascar 3. I think half the fun for me is watching my daughters reaction in the cinema, seeing her laugh, munch popcorn and say aloud what is happening on screen at times. Bless.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

'Drive'

Been wanting to see this for a while now. Finally sat down last night and watched it. Hmmmm.....it was ok but quite honestly I wasn't overly impressed. Ryan Gossling's character was completely void of any emotion as was the girl next door. Because of this there was absolutely no character development so ultimately one had no feelings for either of them. 'Taxi Driver' is probably the nearest thing to compare it to and it ('TD') is a far superior film. DeNiro's character was so well thought out in 'TD' you felt his slip into insanity and end up siding with him as he tries to clean up the streets and save Jodie Foster from the pimps and johns.

The cinematography in 'Drive' was nice, I guess.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, the look and feel of Drive is beautiful but there's not much substance is there? Also, despite the title, not that much driving either :?

Mrs Shines and I are off to see the new Bond tonight :D

Other films of note recently at the cinema and on DVD at home:-

Jeff Who Lives At Home - Subtle, indie feel-good film
Looper - One of the best sci-fi flics in recent history
Holy Motors - Epic cinematography but a tad pretentious and, I'm a little embarrassed to admit, I did nod off for a bit being the heathen that I am (but at least, I didn't snore like some other bloke in the cinema :lol: )
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

Luminescence wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:I think someone here recommend the film, We Need To Talk About Kevin. Man, that was a fucking heavy movie. Recommended, though. Very well done. Also, I was blown away by Jeff, Who Lives At Home, which features Jason Segel (Freaks & Geeks) and Ed Helms (The Office). I thought that movie was absolutely wonderful. Anyone else seen it?
Not seen 'Jeff...' But I think I might have to now. I think it was me that recommended 'We need to talk about kevin'. Super film indeed, but dark as.

I saw Jeff, Who Lives At Home the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommending it.
Hey Jayne
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Skyfall

Just what I expected. Didn't mind some logical flaws that I didn't see as problems. Well, I have other stuff on my mind when watching movies.

Anyway, if you like Mendes, you'll like this film. It's definitely more "exciting" than American Beauty or Revolutionary Road. But the action didn't bother me at all.

And I liked the music, too.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Already There wrote:
Anyway, if you like Mendes, you'll like this film. It's definitely more "exciting" than American Beauty or Revolutionary Road. But the action didn't bother me at all.
American Beauty is, for me, a dazzling film. So Skyfall will be a treat I guess!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Bank holiday here....pouring with rain, very damp and cold so we all went to the cinema (as did most of Portland, apparently).

Saw 'Skyfall' in a crowded theatre that were all in awe of the amazing action and chuckling at the jokes and innuendos. Very enjoyable film and Javier Bardem is phenomenal as the baddie. Only 'No Country' wins the prize for his portrayal of a creepier villain. I'll chime in and say it was the most enjoyable Bond film in years. I liked 'Casino Royal' but this was superior and certainly miles better than 'Quantum Solace'.

Sam Mendes. Everything he touches seems to be gold. I too loved 'American Beauty'. One of my faves.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

johnnyboy wrote:
BVCP206 wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:Sat in on Saturday and watched KILL LIST. Anyone else seen it? I really liked it, great style to it, a creeping sense of dread in the visuals and use of music/sounds. Pretty violent and an uneasy watch, goes pretty mental in a Wickerman stylee for the last 20 mins or so, then ends abruptly at the horrifying finale. Will have to watch it again at some point to gather some clues.
Just watched it, very intense and the ending is unreal :shock:
Shocker indeed. Though, without giving it away for those who haven't seen it yet, I did guess who he was fighting half way through that ending scene, but didn't guess the actual hump (if you know what I mean). Horrible film moment!
I think I might be a bit fucked up 'cos I watched Kill List yesterday and didn't find it particularly violent or shocking. At the end i just thought "What the fuck was that all about?!"
Still, nice to see Tyres from Spaced doing something recent, that guy should be on screen a lot more.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

sunray wrote:I think I might be a bit fucked up 'cos I watched Kill List yesterday and didn't find it particularly violent or shocking. At the end i just thought "What the fuck was that all about?!"
Still, nice to see Tyres from Spaced doing something recent, that guy should be on screen a lot more.
nah, don't worry, i pretty much thought the same. it seemed to be building nicely and then just lost it towards the end. On the other hand, my friends totally loved the film though...so maybe we're both just weird, haha.

Definitely agree about the Spaced guy. he was great. he's kinda intimidating - could see him make a good villain 8)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ok, so my kids wanted to watch a movie last night and so they chose......

'Rock of Ages' (that film where Cruise plays an '80's Axl Rose/Motley Crue/Ratt style pop metal rocker)

Fucking hell, what a load of absolute trash that was!!! No, I didn't expect it to be good but jesus christ I don't think I have seen a worse film than this in a long time. It tried far too hard to be funny (directors thinking they were being clever revisiting the 80's), the performances were hammy and sucked ass, the music was dreadful and the dialogue was so bad at times it was the only thing that deserved a pathetic laugh of disgust. Even my kids thought it sucked! Thankfully we only paid $2.99 for it.

If any of you are considering watching it I would recommend taking an egg spoon and carving out your eyes over sitting through two hours of this filth. It would certainly be less painful.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

moop wrote:Definitely agree about the Spaced guy. he was great. he's kinda intimidating - could see him make a good villain 8)
He played a slightly unhinged hard man in a film on TV recently - Down Terrace - which was a surreal study into inept revenge-taking by low level organised crime.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

runcible wrote:
moop wrote:Definitely agree about the Spaced guy. he was great. he's kinda intimidating - could see him make a good villain 8)
He played a slightly unhinged hard man in a film on TV recently - Down Terrace - which was a surreal study into inept revenge-taking by low level organised crime.
sounds fun, i'll check it out.

By the way, have you seen the Red Riding Trilogy? I watched it recently and (in contrast to the kill list, as mentioned above) found it amazing, disturbing and emotional. I imagine it would have particular resonance for anyone from the area too..
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

MODLAB wrote:
Hedspace wrote:Tyrannosaur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISUyV34OVf4

cracking film. Plenty of fans of Dead Mans Shoes on this board which Im sure will appreciate this film. Paddy Considine's directorial debut.

I really enjoyed it. Quite disturbing although an amazing directorial debut.

Best,

M
Just watched this. Christ it's grim. Very good. But very grim.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Not seen this one yet, but as a general rule, anything with Peter Mullen, is gritty and often tragically depressing...

Exhibit A M'lud: My Name Is Joe... one of the best movies to ever come out of Scotland!
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

Killer Joe
I rented this last night. Mistake. Pretty awful film. I thought the storyline was ok but, the film was poorly made and the acting (apart from Joe), was fairly weak.

I don't reccommend this.
Hey Jayne
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:
MODLAB wrote:
Hedspace wrote:Tyrannosaur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISUyV34OVf4

cracking film. Plenty of fans of Dead Mans Shoes on this board which Im sure will appreciate this film. Paddy Considine's directorial debut.

I really enjoyed it. Quite disturbing although an amazing directorial debut.

Best,

M
Just watched this. Christ it's grim. Very good. But very grim.
I must admit I wanted a bit more from this film. I am a big fan of Olivia Colman - and she is quite excellent in this - and I have always enjoyed Paddy Considine. Somehow it didn't quite do it for me although I did think it was good. But grim and harrowing are accurate descriptions and it's worth a look. I suspect more is to come from PC.

Dead Man's Shoes it is not, nor is it meant to be. That film sits alone for its desperately bleak portrayal of people who have no significance fucking up someone they consider even less significant than themselves. The amount of times shivers went down my spine in that film was equalled to the amount of time I laughed out loud in almost guilty fashion. Tyrannosaur is a very different film.

It feels good to think that both of these films are incredibly English - genuinely gritty English flicks with impact are few and far between. I can't see these plots working outside the local environment they are set in.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

For whatever reason I haven't heard about 'Tyrannosaur'. A lot of Sundance films come here but either I missed this one or it has yet to play here. Will look for it on Netflix or On Demand streaming.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I went to see The Shining at the BFI last night. They're showing a restored and extended original version for a month there.

I've seen it plenty of times over the years and it genuinely scares and unsettles me but not so much last night. That wsa down to two things. One being the tall guys head in front of me taking up a chunk of the screen which was highly frustrating and did ruin the experience of seeing a beautifully shot film on the big screen. His head took up the lower centre throughout. The other being the fact I was on a first date. Yep I know, prob not the best film to see on a first date and I did suggest it initially and she said yes and then I tried to do something less 'horror' and she insisted it was fine and she wanted to see it. Turns up 45mins later than expected, missing the chance to have a decent conversation before the film. Half an hour of disinterested unclicking chit chat and then the film and then she was off like the wind come the end. This modern dating game is tough going!

So, great film but spoiled by those things.

Recorded The Host on TV the other week so will watch that come the weekend.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Just watched Man On A Ledge which is a decent enough heist/revenge thriller but what most impressed me was the use of Police On My Back by The Clash over the end credits, just seemed to fit perfectly. Also recently saw Juan of the Dead (Cuban Zombie film!) which used Sid's version of My Way at the end which also worked very well in context of the film. Anybody else got any other examples :?:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

'Lincoln'

Good film, and as expected Daniel Day Lewis is great as Abe. The character of Lincoln is very compelling and DDL makes the most of it. It's less a bio, however, and focuses more on a detailed history of how the 13th Amendment was narrowly passed (the abolishment of slavery). All the actors were great, actually. But, it isn't a film that I will necessarily be thinking about for days after. It is what it is. Nothing more and nothing less. Still, it was a decent flick that will no doubt be showered with Oscar nominations.

Saying that, as with the 'Thatcher' film that pretty much bombed over here...I don't know how well 'Lincoln' will translate in the UK.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

'Life of Pi'

After a long busy day of meetings and art openings I left an art show early and spontaneously swung home and took my kids to see this movie last night. I knew nothing about it before going in and was pleasantly surprised. Visually, it is eye candy...absolutely beautiful. But, the story itself is magical. My son was transfixed and my daughter cried a couple times but they both absolutely loved it. A nice movie moment to share with them.
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

at theatre… Skyfall
Twice, at IMAX in London last month and at IMAX back in Tokyo last weekend. And taking my mom to another IMAX this weekend will be my third time.
I thought Daniel Craig was too serious to be Bond. But finally Mendes’ direction matches him. I really love this one.

at home…The Beguiled
The women in this film were so scary and cruel that I couldn’t help laughing. But I think it might be only women who can laugh about it.

my wishlist… Seven Psychopaths and Sightseers
Did anybody see them?
I really want to see these films. But it will take a year or so until they are released in my country. :cry:
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Lincoln was very enjoyable. The night before I saw it, I had just finished reading Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer, which begins right where the movie ends. I have to say, despite Daniel Day Lewis looking like the lead singer of System of a Down, it was great. Very dialogue-driven, which some of my friends didn't like. Very long, too. Some scenes definitely drag on, but a perfect period piece. Often makes you feel like you are looking into a different era, which is the goal of the film.

I'm now completely obsessed with the American Civil War and I've purchased several book on the subject, which will keep me company in my hole for the next several months.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Rolling Stones -'Cocksucker Blues'

What a wild time the early 70's were. This film is full of drug fueled excess, orgies and hedonistic debauchery. I thought I saw this film years ago but I guess not as it was all new to me. What I know I did see was a documentary/candid films of the recording of 'Exile'. This film reads more like a fly on the wall of those crazy times in the USA after the release of 'Exile'. I am continuously amazed Keith is still with us. I'm also not surprised the Stones have kept this film from being "officially" released. Maybe it wasn't them behind the "banning"? But, for Sir Mick it probably isn't what he wants being shown now. Those days were long ago. Watching this I can't help but think.....what a great life those guys have lived!! We only get one chance at it....they rolled the dice and were dealt with everything happening to them precisely at the right place, the right time.

I cannot think of any band today that were as dangerous as these guys. Sure, the 80's had the obscene excess too but most bands in the 80's compromised their artistic merit for the big bucks. Not the Stones or Zeppelin. They did and had it all, yet rarely ever compromised their art. Sure, the albums got weaker over the years but those first 10 or so years were pretty fucking great.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

:wink:

Get to the Double Door CD yet? The earlier in the set the better. Songs they never, ever play live. 19th Nervous Breakdown, The Last Time, Play With Fire, Crazy Mama.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I just got done watching 'Charlie Is My Darling'...another Xmas present from the Mrs. :D Some really great behind the scenes footage on this one...especially of Mick, Keith, and Andrew at the piano doing Elvis impersonations. The live footage looks and sounds really good too, definitely worth a watch.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

'Tyrannosaur'

Gritty but brilliant! Absolutely superb acting by the main guy and the lady. British filmmakers excel at class observations.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:'Tyrannosaur'

Gritty but brilliant! Absolutely superb acting by the main guy and the lady. British filmmakers excel at class observations.
Olivia Colman is a great actress. This film shows she can nail a serious part as well as some fine comedy in Peep Show and Green Wing.

It's excellent as you say but that film is a one watch only - very worrying.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Zero dark Thirty

a seriously flawed film, but in spite of it retains some kind of value - principally entertainment.

i don't subscribe to the notion of it condoning torture, or the idea of bigelow being "torture's handmaiden". i find it a rather crass accusation, tho admittedly one not w/o some merit: in not condemning it & in [perhaps] falsifying the role torture played in locating Bin Laden the film does leave itself open to such attacks.
& i can't deny that it does paint a wholesome, uncritical picture of the CIA & America's war tactics. it is apologetic w/o being critical. the idea of it being based on "first hand accounts" is frightfully egregious.
& there are other flaws in the context of the film itself - the score, how well groomed harold perrineau (michael from lost) is i found bizarrely distracting, likewise the cameos of jimmy gandolfini & john barrowman.

for all that, i enjoyed it. it's well paced; there are a few terrific performances (especially jason clarke); the action sequences are typical of bigelow's class; its presentation of torture is gruesome, unflinching & hugely uncomfortable, & honest (at least from my reading).

the narrative is flawed & open for debate. as are the intentions of the film. for me tho, taken apart from that i found it a very well made & interesting piece.
i do accept the dangers of the film & at the end of the day it prob does leave a bad taste in the mouth for a lot of people. but for all that... i dunno.. it's not exactly michael bay, y'know. it isn't a critical piece & maybe it shouldn't be forgiven because of that, but it was still an entertaining film that does have some positives going for it in spite of it's politics (or, indeed, lackthereof).
gonna burn brightly
for a while
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

'Silver Linings Playbook'.

Good film...nice story and DeNiro was excellent. Not convinced it is worthy of being showered with multiple awards but, it was a decent movie.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

My wife and I went down to the cinema tonight for a "date night" and saw:

'Argo'

Absolutely brilliant! Of the Oscar nominated films I have seen I hope this one wins the prize for best film.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

We just got back from seeing this:

'Beasts of the Southern Wild'

Wow! What a powerful, emotional and beautiful film! Even my kids were in awe. Highly recommended!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I had my daughter this weekend so spent Friday and Saturday night in on the sofa catching up with films.

Friday was Skyfall - loved it. I wasn't expecting too much from it and did ignore all the cinema hype but now I wish I'd seen it on the big screen. It looked fantastic, especially the neon lit scene in the Shanghai skyscraper. I really like Daniel Craig, suitably rugged and serious. The baddie was top notch and camp and a liked the fact that 'Skyfall' wasn't his plot against the world but was Bonds Scottish home instead. Of course the plot and his method of getting to M was quite daft but who cares.

Saturday was Tyrannasaur - what a grim film. Possibly not the best film to watch in my current mind set. It had me feeling a bit hopless and teary on a few occasions. Excellent film making and acting though and I do find myself drawn to films like this for some reason. I really like Olivia Colman. Her face and eyes say so much. Loved the song by The Leisure Society during the final scenes and end credits, may have to check them out.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

'Inocente'

This won the academy for "Best Short Documentary".

Please take 40 minutes out of your life to watch this sad but wonderful film about this lovely girl who needs to make art. It will make you weep, it will make you smile, it will make you dream. 8)

http://www.mtv.com/videos/inocente/1702 ... list.jhtml
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Lately -

Slacker
La Jetee
The 400 Blows
Jules et Jim
Breathless
Solaris (the original)
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Last night I watched the film Moon directed by Duncan Jones and starring Sam Rockwell. It had similarities to both Solaris and 2001: A Space Odyssey, but managed to also be very original in its own way.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

The Man From Nowhere. It's Korean. Oopa Gangnam Style.
Shoulders back, smash it
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

nghst wrote:Last night I watched the film Moon directed by Duncan Jones and starring Sam Rockwell. It had similarities to both Solaris and 2001: A Space Odyssey, but managed to also be very original in its own way.

loved Moon. yea it wore it's influences on it's sleeve but still managed to be great fun. one of the best sci-fi films of recent yrs (speaking of, i think Sunshine by danny boyle has received some unkind treatment, i found it another enjoyable space romp w/out the burdensome dullness the remake of Solaris fostered upon the viewer w/it's unbearable pretension. sci-fi films are better when they relegate their philosophising below their storytelling & action. so do most all films really!).

i watched West of Memphis last night.
it was fine, flawed tho.
i didn't think it was anywhere near as great a work as the Paradise Lost Trilogy (individually or collectively). having seen them in yrs gone by i thought this one seemed superfluous. it almost worked better as a synopsis of those films. it didn't ask any different questions or examine anything the Paradise Lost films hadn't already covered. it was weird, like why make the same film that's already been done? they didn't even come at it from a fresh angle, just retold the tale.. i dunno. there was an opportunity to do something new from that platform but they just seemed intent on covering the story in the way which had already been done, and done more successfully i thought.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Curious lil' film, isn't it.

I have the following to view this weekend

A Bittersweet Life

Le Dernier Combat

Nikita

I Saw The Devil
Shoulders back, smash it
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

anyone seen this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC4wLeeyNug

it's got Suicide's Che in the trailer, and good actors.
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

davedecay wrote:anyone seen this one?

I saw that featurette. Desperately and definitely see it, which will be released next month in my country.

At thetre
Cloud Atlas :|
The Grandmaster :D
The Grandmaster is Wong Kar Wai’s new film about the martial-arts master Ip Man, the man who trained Bruce Lee.
It was very entertaining story and also art wise. The visuals and the music are so beautiful. I think it will be released in the Western countries in this summer. Highly recommended.
http://youtu.be/8Ngxn9NzLzs

At home
A satellite channel featured the director Nicolas Winding Refn.
Drive
Bronson
Valhalla Rising
Gambler
Can't wait for his new film Only God Forgives. http://youtu.be/YqAeVosG4zI
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

davedecay wrote:anyone seen this one?

Saw this on Friday night. Really good film though, as a newish father, it was very haunting in places (Dads will understand if they see it). Gosling pretty much revived the same role he played in Drive but overall I enjoyed it.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone