Hackney Empire

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

nickh
Known user

Hackney Empire

Post by nickh »

Looking forward to tonight. Hackney is a bit of a hike for me so will be sloping off early from work, hope I have a bit more luck than my last Spaceman related East End trip!
Shinesalight
Known user

Re: Hackney Empire

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, never been to the Empire and it seems a bit of a mission from Victoria.

Taken from the Gigs (dates) thread:-

"Anyone know of any decent pubs that do food near the Empire? I'm heading up straight after work from Brighton and its a bit of a mare of a journey.... train to London Vic, then tube to Highbury & Islington then overground to Hackney Central. Looks like I'm prob going to have to leave the gig early to get the 11.15 train back from Victoria too unless someone can suggest a better/quicker route?"
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

If you're coming from Brighton I think you can go to East Croydon and change there for the new Overground line to Crackney... I'm gonna hit the TFL website now... will get back to you...

No you can't. It goes to West Croydon. You DO NOT want to go to West Croydon.

The route you suggested is the best way. However the good news is that the last train from Victoria is 00:05 and the one before is 23:32...
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
kenjude
New user

Post by kenjude »

Me and my brother are training in from Hertford East to Hackney Downs. Fortunately last train back is 23:46 so hopefully plenty of time to get the last train back.

Looking forward to it - saw them once before at Cambridge Corn Exchange (Let It Come Down tour?) which was very loud. I recall there was a big horn section up above the drum riser and when they all let rip I think it was the loudest thing I've ever heard apart from when In Living Colour were supporting Motorhead at the Hammersmith Odeon in about 1983 or 84.

Hoping it's not quite so loud tonight.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

I should know this... having lived in LND for over 20 years- but any ideas of how to get around Hackney's nightmare parking restrictions?!
Yellow lines start really late in that area and a lot of the meters around the Empire only allow 2 hrs. Goddamit. No good if you want to go down the front.

Parking houses?!
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Really great show last night, good sound at The Empire. I hate to admit it but I do prefer gigs where I get to sit down now. :roll:

If I had to make a choice I would probably go for a stripped down Spiritualized line up which is what we got last night.

Didn’t get much of the new record (and missed Hey Jane which pissed me off) but So Long is a song I am really starting to love. Born Never Asked / Electric Mainlne was never my favourite song but they absolutely nailed it last night, I could have happily listened to it for another 10 minutes. I am always really happy to hear Cop Shoot Cop and it didn’t suffer with a reduced line up, the noise that Doggen and Jason conjured up between them was incredible and really got the hairs standing up.

Hope everyone else enjoyed, anyone going to the up-coming dates are in for a treat.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I thought the show at the Empire last night was great (thanks again to Gassjack for the tickets :D ). It was a bit of a trek getting there but so worth it. The only bummer was having to leave before the encore in order to meet connections to get back home.

The new songs sounded a lot better and complete than at the RAH gig last year. In fact, Heading for the Top in particular sounded a lot different to the first time I heard it... a lot slower and more heavy beat driven. A special mention must go to the new bass player... he was superb and really brought a vibrancy to both the new and old material. In fact, he totally owned I Am What I Am, turning it into a real head nodder of a song.

Born Never Asked/Electric Mainline was immense... got totally lost in the music and excellent visuals. Hey Jane just gets better every time I hear it and So Long is Spiritualized at their most anthemic but in a good way. Lovely to know that Lay Back In The Sun still hits the spot and that Stay WIth Me is still as majestic and breathtaking as I remember from the L & G show at the Royal Festival Hall a few years back.

My girlfriend loved the show too.... it was her 2nd Spiritualized show after she joined me for last year's RAH performance, and she agreed that it was a better gig generally and that the new songs were sounding even better.

Now even more excited about the new album and hoping that they will be added to the bill of either End of the Road of Greenman (though I'm now very tempted with Wildnerness festival now, just to see them again they were so good last night).
Last edited by Shinesalight on Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Any merch? I think the album cover would look nice on a white t-shirt.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

amazing gig! still a big smile on my face when i think about it.... :D
any chances of a recording popping up somewhere? the born never asked/electric mainline was particularly ace...
Geoff
Known user

Post by Geoff »

I was at Hackney Empire last night with my son and he asked me what old stuff I'd really like them to play tonight. After a moment or two's thought, I said Lay Back In The Sun and Oh Baby. See, dreams do come true. Great gig, erasing the disappointment of the flat RAH gig in October. Cop Shoot Cop never sounded better, what a way to end. Magnificent.
spaced
Known user

Post by spaced »

Does anyone have a set list?
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

There were 4 shirts on offer at Portsmouth last Saturday Sunray

2 white . one with a coloured huh in centre of front ( bit like a 3d image is on paper. Is it i wonder? )
One with green huh (i think ) and spiritualized? on back

2 black One with green /white huh on front and spiritualized? ( in green ) on back
One more not to sure on - maybe just spiritualized? ( in green ) on front

Off to Bristol tonite so I'll confirm this then
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

this is from memory, so order is probably wrong and i might have forgotton one or two...

Hey Jane
Lord Let It Rain On Me
She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)
Heading For The Top
Lay Back In The Sun
Oh Baby
Rated X
I Am What I Am
Born, Never Asked
Electric Mainline
Mary
Stay With Me
So Long You Pretty Things

Electricity
Cop Shoot Cop
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

i was in the upper circle seats and the sound was really loud from the start, with an absolutely awesome and well audible doggen all the way through the entire set... guess that the audio quality is very sensitive to your position considering the shape of that venue.
kenjude
New user

Post by kenjude »

I agree with MattBenn, I thought it was appalling sound for the first 40 minutes or so. Drums inaudible, Doggen guitar from left speakers a muddy mess.

I was standing middle of the floor, which is not too many feet in front of the mixing desk, so made me wonder if that's what they actually wanted. I was inclined to think it was just my ears getting used to it by the second half when it improved a bit.

I have no other visits to the venue to compare it with, but it would certainly put me off going back there.

Shame really - they play brilliantly. And I agree - "So Long" was glorious and "Cop Shoot Cop" were immense.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I thought this review was going to be really positive, but in the end it sounds like it just wasn't his bag. http://www.clashmusic.com/live-review/s ... ire-london
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Few songs up on YouTube from Hackney…

Born Never Asked/Electric Mainline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uRmJytky00
Electricity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1iYq9PW ... re=related
Stay With Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAF83yaa ... re=channel
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Jesus christ these sound fantastic! Thanks!!!

EDIT: Fuckkkkk that version of Stay With Me is brilliant!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Guardian Review http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/ma ... sfeed=true

Good review, but - "Spiritualized fans all tend to be blokes of a certain age, which, when you realise that you must be counted as one of their number, makes the gig-going experience a bit depressing."

Ouch! But yes, Manchester was very male dominated. Hourable mentions to the ladies in the audience, and my Girlfriend for coming along and making it feel a bit less like a geek boy sci-fi conention :lol: