The Soft Pack : June 2, 2012 : Chicago

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

TheWarmth
Known user

The Soft Pack : June 2, 2012 : Chicago

Post by TheWarmth »

Soft Speaker did a gig with The Soft Pack on Saturday evening. They were very nice guys and played a wonderful set stacked with new material. I can't wait for the new album now. They had a buddy who added tenor sax and some keys, which was pretty cool, too. He told me that he's on the new album, but not a full time member, as he's off to NY to graduate school soon. If anyone hasn't heard their last, self-titled album, I highly recommend it. The new one is coming out around September on Mexican Summer.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstadter
Known user

Re: The Soft Pack : June 2, 2012 : Chicago

Post by Hofstadter »

Just outta curiosity, did Grass Widow play at that show? I think they've been playing shows with the two Softs. I saw 'em in Providence, RI a couple of summers ago and it was a lot of fun. I haven't gotten to listen to the new album yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Toomilk and I were just talking about it in another thread, but the Soft Pack have done a few Spacemen 3 covers live - they recorded Walking with Jesus for their first single as the Soft Pack too! It's pretty rockin'.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, Grass Widow played, too. To be honest, they weren't really my bag, but some of my friends dug them. Strangely, they are on tour without amplifiers, so we had to loan them guitar and bass amps.

I didn't know Soft Pack released a cover of Walkin' With Jesus. I'll have to try to track down a copy of that 7"!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I believe they first put it out under their original name, the Muslims, and then re-released it once they changed to the Soft Pack. I could be wrong about that though. The A-side is parasites. I'm sure you could just ask 'em about it though :).

Soft Speaker should come to LA sometime. Just sayin' :wink: .
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Hofstadter wrote:I believe they first put it out under their original name, the Muslims, and then re-released it once they changed to the Soft Pack. I could be wrong about that though. The A-side is parasites. I'm sure you could just ask 'em about it though :).

Soft Speaker should come to LA sometime. Just sayin' :wink: .
I found a couple copies of that 7" on ebay, but they're expensive. If one pops up for a reasonable price, I'll grab it.

I'd love to come to LA and play, but we can't afford a self-financed tour. Maybe after we're done with our new record something will happen. I have some friends out there. Have you heard United Ghosts (http://unitedghosts.com/)? They're really good and I know the guitarist/singer a bit. Check them out if you haven't already.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Hey Paul, great to hear your band are doing so well! Good work man! Good news about the Soft Pack too, I thought they'd split which would have been a shame as that first album was great.

In case you haven't hear here's a link to the cover version.

http://nuravebrainwave.com/2008/09/a-cover-and-a-remix/
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Checkin' out United Ghosts right now. I'll try to catch them at their next show. I seriously need to get fake proof though. Being 17 sucks sometimes purely for all the great venues I can't go to (they recently played at the satellite).
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Do check out United Ghosts if you get a chance. They're quite good. I have their debut 7" and I think an album is nearing completion.

I hope my occasional mentions of my own band don't prove annoying. I'm not here solely for self-promotion :)