SPZ Hull September 7th??

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

scarecrowz
Known user

SPZ Hull September 7th??

Post by scarecrowz »

tommy_b
Known user

Re: SPZ Hull September 7th??

Post by tommy_b »

YAY!!! Spz play in my home town!!!! Been a long time coming, Jason!

Details are a bit sketchy at the moment, but here's a link to the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FreedomFestivalHull

If it's like it has been in previous years, the outside stage is free. Also, Martha Reeves playing the next night. This may not seem like a big deal to some on these boards, but it is a major coup for the cultural wasteland that is Hull.
blackcockerel
Known user

Post by blackcockerel »

Tis indeed free. With support from Little Barrie.

http://www.freedomfestival.co.uk/freedo ... al-guests/
stevelee101
Known user

Post by stevelee101 »

Just double checking this is still on? Might be a good one if it's a nice evening - here's hoping! :D
tommy_b
Known user

Post by tommy_b »

Yeah, it's still on. Spiritualized to take the stage at 9.40, apparantly.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Was it good? What was the setlist? Some pics here http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.u ... story.html
scarecrowz
Known user

Post by scarecrowz »

Looked like they'd turned up late (never seen the headliners on a 3 act bill have to carry all their gear on and set up after the 2nd support), sounded like there hadn't been a soundcheck. They were due to play 9:40 - 11:00 (curfew), but due to technical problems during setup they came on 15 minurtes late.

What I remember (order is wrong after Hey Jane):

All of My Tears
Born, Never Asked
Electric Mainline
Hey Jane
Going Down Slow
WWJ
Oh Baby
She Kissed Me...
TMTTOS

Muddy sound, Jason constantly fiddling with his amp (or telling his guitar tech to fiddle with it) and a lacklustre performance overall - they didn't seem to really get into it, every so often things would pick up and it became proper Spiritualized, but the next song would lose the spark.

All of My Tears was all over the place soundwise, which is why I think they hadn't had a soundcheck - sound had been spot on for the supports.
TMTTOS had a half-hearted ending, Doggen walked off about 30 seconds before it fizzled out, everyone else then walked off and left Jason making some noise and having one last amp fiddle.

No encore, due to the curfew, but a relatively good reaction from the crowd

Good: Born Never Asked/Electric Mainline, Oh Baby, She Kissed Me

OK: the rest apart from one

Dire: Walking With Jesus.... went nowhere, probably due to being treated to a new plodding straight rock beat and a middle section consisting of maybe a four verse length of just repeating the riff (Jason forgot the words? Nobody could be bothered to play a solo? It looked like everybody on stage was expecting someone else to do something. Hopefully they'll sort it out before November or drop it from the set)

I guess that all sounds pretty negative, but to be fair it's the first below-par show I've seen them do in twenty or so gigs and they clearly had many distracting technical glitches
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

its a shame they had technical issues. Good to see some variety in the set list and Going Down Slow would be good to hear, but it seems a bit obstinate not to make the set a bit more crowd friendly as it was a free festival with a different crowd.

They could have dropped Born, Never Asked, Electric Mainline and Oh Baby, and brought in Lay Back in The Sun and Ladies and Gents, and maybe electricity for a much more rocking set. But then what do I know?

Anyway, spotted a recording of All of my tears here http://www.newsflare.com/video/1110/ent ... f-my-tears
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

clewsr wrote:its a shame they had technical issues. Good to see some variety in the set list and Going Down Slow would be good to hear, but it seems a bit obstinate not to make the set a bit more crowd friendly as it was a free festival with a different crowd.

They could have dropped Born, Never Asked, Electric Mainline and Oh Baby, and brought in Lay Back in The Sun and Ladies and Gents, and maybe electricity for a much more rocking set. But then what do I know?
I totally agree it seems a poor choice of set, especially for a festival gig. Lay Back in the Sun was probably my favourite live song played on the pre-SHSL gigs, and after the RAH I was really disappointed to see Sway disappear from the live song rota.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some better setlist choices when it comes to the Sage gig in November, and that includes not hearing yet another interpretation of WWJ - to the best of my knowledge the SHSL gig last year at the RAH was the 1st time I've seen Spz live without WWJ, and the gig was, in my opinion, much the better for it.

As I think the Sage is the 1st gig of the autumn leg of the current tour, I guess we'll probably not get a reliable heads-up as to the direction of the set choices. I certainly hope this Hull gig wasn't any indicator - I know this has been mentioned several times by several folks on here before, but the lulls in recent sets with the slower songs (especially the Amazing Grace songs...made worse when the best track off that album (Cheapster) is not played) I could do without. It's a shame that most of both Sweet Heart, Sweet Light and Let It Come Down doesn't work so well when played with just the core electric band.

In respect of 'technical issues', obviously I can't comment directly as I wasn't there, but I do know that until you get to the likes of the main stage at Glastonbury, no bands expect a proper sound check in these type gigs. Even headliners should only expect to get a line check plus basic monitors, then the 1st song is a throw-and-go mix built from scratch at FOH. Given the band have already played a fair few festivals this summer, I'd be hesitant to cast aspersions toward their BE/FOH engineer - it sounds rather more like a 'local' difficulty.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

clewsr wrote: but it seems a bit obstinate not to make the set a bit more crowd friendly as it was a free festival with a different crowd.
I posted in another thread a few months back about how they were playing the main stage of the Body & Soul festival at 11.30pm on Saturday night for an hour and proceeded to unleash one of the most boring, dullest sets i've seen them do. Instead of kicking up some noise they just played one slow tune after another, the set bookended by Hey Jane and She Kissed Me being the only relief. Not the way to win any new fans and a great approach to alienating a large chunk of long term ones. It still annoys me three months later! :roll:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Glad its not just me, and the more I think about it the less it makes sense. Jason's interviews have been full of stuff about wanting to play the new songs and not rely on back catalogue, so leaving aside the choice of the older songs, why only one song from SHSL? He played them all live with the small band before the album release, so why no I am what I am / get What you Deserve / Heading for the top? Drop Oh Baby (please) for say Freedom if there must be a slower point in the set.

I know its the artists prerogative and all that, but surely a poppier set filled with new material, would more more likely to win over a neutral crowd, and maybe even sell some more albums? Its not selling out to play the new stuff, surely.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

scarecrowz
Known user

Post by scarecrowz »

clewsr wrote:Good review of the show here http://n0tice.com/report/6812/spiritual ... ember-2012
You'll have to trust me on this one, but Walking With Jesus did not involve "escalating euphoria"... "Aimless trudging" maybe, but not "escalating euphoria"