What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

sm-iom
Known user

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by sm-iom »

Adam Ant....

A really strange, and I think, enjoyable experience. Fair play to AA, he's got himself together and does put on a show. Difficult though to reconcile the 58 year-old performer with the guy from my youth. Good night out though..
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

saw the warlocks last night. last time they came through town was back in 2009.

as expected they sounded great and they played a few new songs, which i hope are on the forthcoming record as they were both nice and droney- one was very dark and the other was like one of their jams but with vocals- it had a nice ebb and flow and they ended with it. it was a completely new lineup except for JC who was still on guitar.

it was at subterranean, which is normally really crappy soundwise, but tonight it sounded just perfect- the bass was very hard-hitting and present, the drums were really dynamic and the guitars were all nicely balanced so the mix was spot-on.

they played for a little over an hour which i think was because they'd brought two bands with them and there was a local band added on (who were not very good and ended up being the only one of the opening acts we caught), so at four bands starting at 9 it was a really stacked bill. there was no allowance for an encore from the warlocks, which was pretty disappointing. last time i saw them two nights in a row and they played for almost two hours each night.

setlist was pretty varied and hit on pretty much every era- 'you make me wait,' 'red camera,' 'isolation,' 'come save us,' 'zombie-like lovers,' 'shake the dope out,' 'the dope feels good,' 'hurricane heart attack,' 'caveman rock,' 'angry demons' etc.

the crowd was lame- it was a pretty decent size for the other three bands, but by the time the warlocks went on it had thinned so much. by the end of the night there couldn't have been more than 50 people there. there were a fair amount of talkers as well. this is pretty typical of when i've seen them in the past- the crowd always thins as their set goes on. it's such a shame- so many of their peers have gone on to build huge audiences- the black angels played at the vic a few days ago, for instance.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Endless Boogie at Corsica Studios in London last night...

This was a night for heavy BBQ sauce immersed boogie grooves that - as the name implies - just didn't stop. They were absolutely superb from start to finish - Paul Major's wild lead guitar attack was beefed up by an astonishing performance from rhythm guitarist Jesper Eklow. Jesus Christ - the man is a riff factory and provided such an incredible layer of thick fuzz for Paul to do his stuff all over. That and rhythm section Mark on bass and Harry on drums made a finely tuned unit that excelled on every song.

The Savagist, first track on the awesome new album Long Island, opened things and went on for a good 20 minutes, and another from LI, General Admission, was like early Monster Magnet. Everything hurtled down the same road with infectious licks and rhythms all drowning in a twin guitar attack that just never let you catch breath. Just when I thought it was going to stop Paul, looking like a cross between the slimmer Dave Wyndorf and Dave Brock (both worthy comparisons) announced it was time for a break so they could go for a smoke ('and we like to smoke the other stuff too' he added), but then they returned to pulverise the now diminished crowd with 2 more extended slabs of fuzzed-up funked-down lunacy. Fantastic stuff.

I caught up with Paul and bassist Mark and they couldn't have been nicer. It's great when musicians are so chatty and up for a beer and a natter after the show. Worth catching this lot if you can...
Attachments
EB1.JPG
EB1.JPG (36.17 KiB) Viewed 24927 times
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Spectrum at the echo... Oh my god... Amazing. I will try to write about it at some point... For now I will just say suicide was out of this world. Easily one of my top shows instantly.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Hofstadter wrote:Spectrum at the echo... Oh my god... Amazing. I will try to write about it at some point... For now I will just say suicide was out of this world. Easily one of my top shows instantly.

Soooooo...I just saw that he played San Diego last night........I had no idea! He played at "The Void," which is a tiny bar that changes owners and names about once a year. It seems like they are finally getting decent touring acts. Argh! Can't believe this went completely under my radar!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Transparent Radiation
Lord, I Don't Even Know My Name
Angel
How You Satisfy Me
Che
(unsure - there was an amazing jam that occurred when a string on Pete's guitar broke - he went off stage and upstairs, got a set of strings, gets back on stage, the band is still droning away beautifully and LOUDLY, Pete looked like he was just in the ZONE, strings, gets up, re-enters the jam, and it was almost like after this they really took off... awesome - not that it wasn't heavenly already)
Revolution
-------
jam? for a second I thought it was rollercoaster, but my memory is really hazy right now.... fuck
Suicide

I'm still soaking in the afterglow... I didn't have any foreknowledge of the set so I tried to go in with zero "I want to hear this song" and it was wonderful - none of my favorite sort of "help me feel better" songs (no HLHB for instance but I don't even care :) ), but maybe those are left for those super personal moments instead of a space with lots of people - that was the whole point of going in with no expectations and it was perfect!

I could go on about each song but I won't - again, all I can really say is that suicide was, for me, almost transcendent - closest I've come to that feeling - as soon as he turned the delay way up and started checking it I started to think ohhhhhh and getting all giddy and then he said "this song is dedi...." and I almost jumped up out of my shoes and there definitely were some other dorks like me who started to do the same thing - the Echo is pretty smallish and has a low stage - I was literally right next to it, the huge speakers pretty much around me with the biggest ones by my knees, it was like I was in this sonic cage/transported, seriously. They must have been up there 10+ minutes, went off stage with the instruments still going and pulsing away for a few minutes, came back on for another few minutes and then started to slowly move off stage one by one for the night... just... those 15-20 minutes could have been the last of my life/could have gone on for the rest of my life and I woulda been happy.

the fact that I got to meet pete at dublab on friday (more like stand in awe)/talk to him for a while at the show only made it better. I was planning on going on my own, but just a week or so ago I reconnected with a kid from elementary school when we both sort of realized we were spacemen 3 nerds, it was pretty cool catching up with him after not really seeing him for 6 years or so... gettin' toasted in a car, laughing about old shit/reminiscing/talking about different high school experiences etc (a lot of that sappiness but also melancholia starting to set in, Dazed and Confused, American Graffiti, and Adventureland are all probably going to have to get watched soon - any more recs for these sorts of movies? maybe will post in movie thread), and then getting our heads blown off by spectrum... we were both left totally speechless. could not have been a better night.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Great review man... nights like that stay with you forever! :D
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

toomilk wrote:Soooooo...I just saw that he played San Diego last night........I had no idea! He played at "The Void," which is a tiny bar that changes owners and names about once a year. It seems like they are finally getting decent touring acts. Argh! Can't believe this went completely under my radar!
I hate it when this happens. I just found out today that David Baker's new band played just down the road from me a couple of weeks back. would definitely have been there, had i known :x
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Unknown Mortal Orchestra at King Tuts last night. Great performance in a legendary venue
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

all on 35mm/400bw (nikon fm, ~1977-80)

andy from lsd/sfg
chris

alex gray, m. geddes gengras and cameron stallones (sun araw)

this show was at the center for the arts: eagle rock

elias from iceage

matt from tennis system

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Since this thread was started by Runcible I've been meaning to post a review of each gig I've attended this year, but never got around to it. Until now.

Thee Oh Sees, Whelans, Dublin, Sat. 4 May.

Only previous occasion they played Ireland was five years ago to 14 people (of which I was one). This time they were in the larger downstairs venue (450 capacity) and it was almost full. Audience was going mental with moshing and crowdsurfing! The music was fantastic, the band hardly slowed down from start to finish of a 75 minute set. Played a good chunk of Floating Coffin. Two of my mates went on my recommendation and loved it. Thee Oh Sees are such a great band, glorious 60s Garage Psych Punk that can't help but put a smile on your face.
Easily gig of the year so far. Would've been even better without the crowdsurfing, but hey, that's just me in grumpy old man mode. I gave all that stuff up at the age of 18 when I realised I was spending more time concentrating on staying standing and not getting a boot in the face, rather than the music. There was one twat who was crowdsurfing whilst holding an empty pint glass ffs! :roll:

I know I keep banging on here about how great they are live but seriously people, go see Thee Oh Sees if they're playing anywhere near you.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

thee oh sees are always a blast to see live! i think i've seen them six times now- three of those times last year alone. i'm pretty grateful that they've been here so frequently after hearing that it was five years between your two times seeing them- that must've been their first time in europe!

i'm always at the back at their shows- the crowdsurfing and moshing is more charming from there. i'm too old and grumpy to enjoy being right in the thick of it anymore.

i'm hoping they come through town soon again as i'm dying to hear the 'floating coffin' stuff live. they played a few songs from it last year when i saw them (and one of the songs from the 'moon sick' ep too) and i'd imagine 'toe cutter/thumb buster' is even more bonkers live. how do they play so damned FAST for so long?!
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

sunray wrote: Thee Oh Sees, Whelans, Dublin, Sat. 4 May.

Thee Oh Sees are such a great band, glorious 60s Garage Psych Punk that can't help but put a smile on your face.
Easily gig of the year so far. Would've been even better without the crowdsurfing, but hey, that's just me in grumpy old man mode. There was one twat who was crowdsurfing whilst holding an empty pint glass ffs! :roll:

I know I keep banging on here about how great they are live but seriously people, go see Thee Oh Sees if they're playing anywhere near you.
+1 on the above bar the bit about crowdsurfing. Im not that young myself and we thought the surfing added a massive amount of enjoyment to the gig. What a blast. Loved the drummer up front with the crowd.

The empty pint glass the lad had while held aloft...I cant speak for the whole place but the glasses I had from the bar were all plastic.
Everyone on this board should without a doubt go and see this band live.

from the night >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95nBCwqgNsg
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

saw Thee Oh sees at Brudnell Social Club in Leeds on Tuesday. Awesome gig, truly astounding. I like them on record, but live, its just intense and musically tight yet loose in an almost free form way. Seems as though the songs can alter in length depending on vibe on stage and off.
I'm no expert on their back catalogue so if anyone has an idea on the set list, that would be appreciated.
Cowtown (drummer of Hookworms band) supported and were decent. Wouldn't buy the stuff, but decent nonetheless.
Spend the evening in the amiable company of Mr Cardinal Fuzz and the night flew by in athe blink of an eye.
Gig was a sell out in what is fast becoming one of my favourite gig venues
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Thee Oh Sees for me too, last night at the Scala in London. Much like the above posts, and pretty much any online review of the band live, I thought they were incredible. I'd been lookining forward to seeing them for ages as I'd missed them before and this was my first time. Not disappointed at all, except for the fact that all the size small t-shirts had sold out at the previous few shows (if anyone has a spare?).

I've a fair chunk of their albums but I wouldn't be able to say what the whole set list was, or what they even played from Floating Coffin apart from Toe Cutter, ended with Minotaur. Recognised plenty and they opened up with The Dream from Carrion Crawler which I totally adore, and played Contraption/Soul Desert and Carrion Crawler itself from that album. I'd read beforehand in live reviews about equipment failures and what not and last night his 'bottom' guitar failed so they whacked up the 'top' to make up for it (whatever that means). To be honest I noticed no difference. I did kind of wish it was all slightly louder. It was loud but I was hoping to be shredded. Loved his clear guitar, holding it up and looking through it, mic swallowing, tongue out, going bonkers in his shorts. Everyone in the crowd sung Happy Birthday to Brigid which was lovely. King Khan was on the side of stage chucking the food rider into the crowd bit by bit. In fact he was on there quite a lot, mopping their brows mid chaos, handing out smokes, he even got his dick out at one point.

What I totally love about this band is that propulsive bass, when that and the drums and stetching out on their longer tracks, there's the groovy lull and then a DMT shot of crazed energy where the band kicks in and takes it all to another level, then it drops, you catch your breath a bit then await the next shot and totally lose your shit to them. Which I did. I may be 41 but I'm a wiry little sod so I was in the thick of it down the front doing a spazzed out shake n roll leap around, soaked in sweat and grinning from ear to ear. Just what the fine Dr ordered during a particular and continuing low in my personal life.

Can't wait to see them again. I had considered travelling to the Dublin show or maybe to France for upcoming ones but funds can't allow it really. Will just have to wait another year or two for their return but in the meantime there's plenty of live videos on YouTube to lap up.

Set List for the Whelans show is here http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/thee-oh-s ... 80055.html
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

These guys (Thee Oh Sees) are from San Fran, right? They play Portland a lot and always have a great write up in our local free alternative press. But, I have yet to see them. I almost took my son to see them last summer as they played two shows - one all ages from 5-7 and then a 21+ from 9 onwards.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Black Moth Super Rainbow at Magic Stick Detroit friday night. Ok. Not amazing. I cant get past the whole laptop on stage thing.
Night Beats were playing downstairs. Saw most of their set. Much more up my street.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Gutted Thee Oh Sees never came to Glasgow
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Yo La Tengo on Thursday with my mom for out annual mothers' day show - she loved it. It was cute when it started to get louder she would put her hands over her ears for a little bit. 45 minute acoustic set followed by a 65 minute electric set and a 20 minute closing set, no opener. Man was it good - the acoustic set served, for me at least, almost as their own opener -- seeing all the keyboards and pedals and guitars in the background made the anticipation slowly build, so when after an I'll Be Around rendition that was very similar to but even more beautiful than the one at the amoeba in store (this time georgia was on keys - the nord - and so she got a little solo too) Ira started in on Big Day Coming and I saw Georgia pick up a guitar, this little grin started to slowly spread across my face and I could tell a few other fans in the crowd... we knew what was coming - out of the beautiful cyclic line that Ira was playing came this soaring screeching feedback from Georgia's guitar that seemed to come from all over the venue as she sort of slowly rotated the guitar around the inside of the circle formed by the drum mics. It was really cool and utterly transporting as the feedback sort of grew out of nowhere and then disappeared in a split second. I don't know how she does it...

I was hoping when they came back on stage for the electric set they would open with Painful's closing version of BDC but alas -

The other highlight of the night for me was False Alarm --> From a Motel 6 - the way they let False Alarm devolve into complete chaos and just as it seemed like they were losing control of it they snapped into that opening part of From a Motel 6 so cleanly... it was rad.

My one regret - my mom and I were standing right near the front and Ira singled out an older guy next to me for wearing an old Yo La Tengo fishbowl shirt and asked him to pick any song and they would play it - FUCK I should have worn my old Yo La Tengo alien abduction t shirt (was wearing sp3 shirt actually)! I could have asked 'em to play Damage and have 'em dedicate it to my mom, it's her favorite song of theirs... oh well, it was still a beautiful pre-moms' day show.

(Set One)
Ohm
Paddle Forward
The Weakest Part
I Can Hear Music (The Beach Boys cover)
How to Make a Baby Elephant Float
The Point of It
Cornelia and Jane
I’ll Be Around
Big Day Coming
(Set Two)
Stupid Things
Is That Enough
False Alarm
From a Motel 6
If it’s True
Before We Run
Autumn Sweater
Sugarcube
Ohm
Pass the Hatchet, I Think I’m Goodkind
Encore:
Cast a Shadow (Beat Happening cover)
Moby Octopad
Luci Baines (Arthur Lee cover)
Farmer’s Daughter (The Beach Boys cover)
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

just got home from seeing BRMC at the vic. they were really good and i'm glad i went- i had quite the birthday blow-out today running around all over town with my wife.

as far as the setlist goes it was similar to when angelsighs saw them on the other page.

the crowd was amazingly awful, though. it was pretty much your garden variety experience where people keep getting drunker and drunker and talking louder and louder and taking pictures and messing around on their phones. the band tried to play a few acoustic songs in the middle of their set and it was totally lost on the rabble of drunks crammed into the vic and the night just went downhill from there. a shame because the band sounded really great.

i've come to think of it as a last hurrah. i'm really tired of contending with this kind of stuff when i pay money to go to shows. perhaps that's lame, but i've seen a lot of shows over the past 18 years and tonight has just made me think that i may have reached the point where it might be time to start sitting more of them out. i'm pretty much never going to another show on a weekend night no matter where it is.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I was at the Stag & Dagger festival yesterday, mainly to see Wolf People - great to see them again, and glad they played a bit longer than planned.
My other highlight of the evening was Bill Ryder Jones. I only knew his latest single and I never really listened to the Coral, so a bit of a discovery for me. Brilliant melodies, reminded me a bit of late Gorky's at times.
I wish I'd got to the CCA sooner to see Rachel Sermanni, but I went to check out Temples instead. Not only did I feel short and old among that crowd, but they really were nothing special. Cool haircuts though... This year's Toy?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

shalloboi wrote: i've come to think of it as a last hurrah. i'm really tired of contending with this kind of stuff when i pay money to go to shows. perhaps that's lame, but i've seen a lot of shows over the past 18 years and tonight has just made me think that i may have reached the point where it might be time to start sitting more of them out. i'm pretty much never going to another show on a weekend night no matter where it is.
Part of this is age. It becomes much easier to talk yourself out of going to a gig. I might see 5 gigs a year now. That is down from between 50 to 75 gigs per year back in late 80's early 90's when I owned my shop. Never had to pay to see anything. Those were the days. If I had to pay it would have been way less than half of that.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I started to think that too but I find it's the venue that dictates more than anything. Too old to be bothered with chaotic gigs, squashed crowds etc. But at the same time most of the music I see live appeals to smaller audiences, so the shows I see are more contained and I find I enjoy live music more than ever. I see fewer shows for sure, but I cherry pick the ones I want to see and note the venues that are badly organised.

So places like Manchester Sound Control, London The Garage, most O2 Academy venues... are all to be avoided if possible. The level of discomfort outweighs the enjoyment I might have had, and as the venue (for reasons of on-site secuiriy, bar staff attitude and overall sound quality etc.) makes up for a good 50% of the evening's pleasure it's worth noting.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:
shalloboi wrote: i've come to think of it as a last hurrah. i'm really tired of contending with this kind of stuff when i pay money to go to shows. perhaps that's lame, but i've seen a lot of shows over the past 18 years and tonight has just made me think that i may have reached the point where it might be time to start sitting more of them out. i'm pretty much never going to another show on a weekend night no matter where it is.
Part of this is age. It becomes much easier to talk yourself out of going to a gig. I might see 5 gigs a year now. That is down from between 50 to 75 gigs per year back in late 80's early 90's when I owned my shop. Never had to pay to see anything. Those were the days. If I had to pay it would have been way less than half of that.
I agree that it has to do with age. I've started to feel the same way and have missed many gigs simply because of the day of the week it was (weekday) and knowing the band wouldn't take the stage until 11pm or midnight. There was once a time I would have stayed up, driven down and watched the band late into the early morning hours and then, wake up and go to work. Nowadays it has to be a VERY special band for me to make that sacrifice. I also think twice before I spend the money on seeing a band that I either don't really know or don't have a strong opinion about.

That said, if it is the right band I am more than willing to take the time to see them. Last summer I drove 3 hours to Seattle to see The Green Pajamas perform a 70 minute set then drove back home the same night. They are the type of band I will go out of my way to see.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Went to see Flaming Lips with Mrs last night...fuck me do these guys know how to put on a show or what?! I know they pretty much divide opinion on here with regards to when they stopped being "credible" but they really blew me away last night. I know very little of their back catalogue and really only recognised "Race for the Prize" and "Do You Realize" from last night's set, but I thought they were incredible. They toned down on the whole stage gimmicks (no hamster ball or tons of hangers-on dressed as cutesy animals) but I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen a more spectacular light show and I think the strobes were even more intense than at a Spiritualized show...and that's high praise, right!

Wayne Coyne is such a great frontman/entertainer and he comes across as such a decent guy. The crowd lapped him up and he really engaged with them...which made quite a refreshing change from most of the bands I see these days. I'm not sure how heavy the set was with the recent album but I remained in awe of the material throughout the night (even during their cover version of Bowie's Heroes!). I must admit that Mrs Shines (to be :wink: ) and I both agreed that the songs may not translate that well back home without all the show behind them but we were both astounded by last night's show.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Cliff Richard near Leeds. Yup. Had a chance to get freebie tickets and the missus is a fan so we went. To my amazement it was really good fun and Cliff worked the crowd a treat and his band were tight as anything - not a note out of place. A few dull sloppy numbers mixed in with lots of hits and then a good chunk of really cool rock and roll, finished off with a great medley of surf numbers. The version of 'Hand Jive' in the middle was quite excellent. The whole place was jumping although the audience was a lot older than most gigs I go to! Not often I feel young at gigs these days.

The sight of a load of blue rinse women in their 60s being hassled back to their seats by an irate security guard was priceless.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote:Cliff Richard near Leeds. Yup. Had a chance to get freebie tickets and the missus is a fan so we went. To my amazement it was really good fun and Cliff worked the crowd a treat and his band were tight as anything - not a note out of place. A few dull sloppy numbers mixed in with lots of hits and then a good chunk of really cool rock and roll, finished off with a great medley of surf numbers. The version of 'Hand Jive' in the middle was quite excellent. The whole place was jumping although the audience was a lot older than most gigs I go to! Not often I feel young at gigs these days.

The sight of a load of blue rinse women in their 60s being hassled back to their seats by an irate security guard was priceless.
Cliff! :shock: You know no shame.... 8)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It was great! The atmosphere was fantastic and people went nuts. Freebie tickets and a fine evening out is a recipe for enjoyment. Plus I was amazed at how good the rock and roll songs were. I reckon anyone would've struggled not to have fun.

Next year I am taking my kids to see One Direction. Now that's going to be tough. I'd take another Cliff show over that!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

went to see sharon van etten and speck mountain last night.

it was at this amazing venue- http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/de ... _park.html
it was free, seated, very laid back and not crowded at all.

first time i'd seen speck mountain and it made me feel really lame that i hadn't seen them the other five times they've played in town this year.

third time i'd seen sharon van etten and probably the best- she played several of my favourites that i wasn't expecting to hear. they ended the main set with a nice take on 'i'm wrong' that started out dreamy, steadily gained intensity then dissolved into a bunch of droney noise by the end. it was also on the 13th anniversary of when my wife and i first started dating- that first official date was a sleater-kinney concert with the gossip opening.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

One for the mothballs category.
I just got back from Toronto. I went to see The Rolling Stones. I swore i was done. I'm glad I wasn't. They were great. Dont care what anyone says they can still play live and be really fucking great. I bought those mystery $85 seats and was promptly rewarded with the absolute wosrt seats in the arena. Not only top row back corner but the press box blocked most of the sound. Then we got creative and stood at the entrance right above the stage for most of the show.
Highlights:
Worried About You. The vote in song. Not a favorite but I had never seen it played live.
Can't You Hear Me Knocking & Midnight Rambler with Mick Taylor. Never saw him play with the Stones. Goosebumps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWU33eD-SDY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80cMlTGq8tY
You Got The Silver with Keith acoustic, Ronnie slide and Charlie. Another goosebump moment.
Before The Make Me Run- Keith. Always great.
And this was the first show where they trot out any special guests which I was thrilled about.
I vowed to leave as soon as the first strains of Start Me Up. We walked out during the greatest hits end of the show. Brown Sugar, Satisfaction etc. I didn't need to see those again and quite frankly I was happy with what I had seen up to that point.
Some really great record shops in Toronto. Sonic Boom, Rotate This among them. Found 5 copies if the Big Star RSD double LP which no one around here got more thanone of and I wasn't one of the lucky ones.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

spzretent wrote: Can't You Hear Me Knocking & Midnight Rambler with Mick Taylor...
WOW! :shock:
O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Went to see Mudhoney and Meat Puppets on Friday. Met a nice chap who is signed up here but doesn't post, hello lurker!

The show was pretty good, but the venue is my least favourite of any I've been at (academy 2 manchester)... All the shows I've been to there have been oversold and with bad sound. I don't know if Mudhoney brought their own sound guy (you would expect so..) but when the sound is that bad at the sound desk there is a problem...

Still, good set and good fun.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

The missus won tickets for Rod Stewart tonight, no way are we going.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote:Cliff Richard near Leeds. Yup. Had a chance to get freebie tickets and the missus is a fan so we went. To my amazement it was really good fun and Cliff worked the crowd a treat and his band were tight as anything - not a note out of place. A few dull sloppy numbers mixed in with lots of hits and then a good chunk of really cool rock and roll, finished off with a great medley of surf numbers. The version of 'Hand Jive' in the middle was quite excellent. The whole place was jumping although the audience was a lot older than most gigs I go to! Not often I feel young at gigs these days.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D
'Remember, change is not good'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BVCP206 wrote:Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. I guarantee you'd have enjoyed it!
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Saw Masters of Reality at a tiny venue in Amsterdam last wednesday. Drums weren't even miked up, that small. But man, did Chris and the rest rock the place! Probably one of the best gigs I've ever seen. Haven't been able to wipe the grin of my face since :D
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Last night I went to see Ultrasound at King Tut's in Glasgow. I bought my first Ultrasound single aged 18, just before they split up; at 32 I've now finally seen them live for the first time, and it was worth the wait. They had a huge amount of equipment crammed onto the tiny stage, and they whipped up an unholy riot of noise and effects and guitar wizardry. They were in incredible form despite Tiny's cold; the set was a mixture of old and new and the crowd worshipped every minute. I haven't seen that many deliriously happy faces at a gig in a long time. Really, good people of the Spz forum: buy their new album "Play For Today" and be astonished. Oh yes, also track down "Everything Picture" and experience one of the most underrated and unfairly-maligned albums of the nineties.

Setlist (scribbled down on my phone during the gig):

Welfare State
Beautiful Sadness
Suckle
Floodlit World
Between Two Rivers
Goodbye Baby, Amen
Deus Ex Natura
Same Band
Sovereign
-----------------------
Aire And Calder
Stay Young
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Went to see The Cosmic Dead last night supporting the incredible NAAM in Glasgow. Supposedly the last Cosmic's show for a while, so there was much expectation. The band were in good spirits (literally) and, although the only played 2 songs, ripped the venue apart for the 40mins they were on stage. Finished with an insane version of White Rabbit. Hope its not too long before they are back. Rumours of another Euro tour later in the year too, so a chance to catch them again.

I knew nothing about NAAM before last night other than their name starting to appear in some heavy psych/rock articles and reviews i'd read. Was worried they were maybe going to be a bit "too mteal" for my liking, but i was very pleasantly surprised. After a few technical issues and some head scratching, they topped The Cosmic Dead's set with some incredible psych rock. The rhythm section is easily one of the best i've seen in a long time, with both the bass player and drummer going all out for the entire show. The lovely growling organ gave their entire set a really heavy psych feel. Like Electric Moon playing with Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats at a bong party hosted by The White Hills... it was THAT good!
The band played Nirvana's "Drain You" as part of their encore, and it pissed all over the Nirvana version. Heavy as hell and a real upbeat start to their encore which had the crowd go mental! A litre bottle of gin was cracked open and handed to the band just before their final song, and after some negotiations with the audience on who was able to supply them with some weed after the show, the gin was then passed around the audience to keep everyone fuelled up! Absolutely nuts! By the time the show had finished i could swear the sweat was running down the walls...

Superb end to Fathers Day...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Just got home from taking my son and a friend of his to see the Dandy's "13 Tales" Tour. I'm not sure how many times I've seen the Dandy's over the years but they always seem to play decent gigs in Portland. I've taken my son to see them twice before so he knows their repertoire pretty well. They played a two hour set, which included the entire "13 Tales" LP as well as a handful of tunes mainly coming from the first two LP's. Decent crowd at the Wonder Ballroom (where Spz played when in town) that got very into it. A lot of singing, dancing and even some crowd surfing. Home town crowd always show their love to the Dandy's. Man, have to say...Zia has always been pretty darn cute but, she is absolutely smokin' hot these days!

The Shivas opened for them. Second time I've seen them but it has been about two years since I last saw them and they are much tighter. I think a handful of peeps on here would dig these dudes (and gal!). Great surf, "Nuggets" sounding garage punk/power pop band from Portland. If that sounds like your thing they are well worth investigating.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

just been to this gig:

dredd foole/ben chasny
magik markers
richard youngs/ben chasny

never seen magik markers before! wow. super.
never seen richard youngs before... my goodness.
it was a good show.

and i love to hear mr chasny play that guitar.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

ro wrote:just been to this gig:

dredd foole/ben chasny
magik markers
richard youngs/ben chasny

never seen magik markers before! wow. super.
never seen richard youngs before... my goodness.
it was a good show.

and i love to hear mr chasny play that guitar.
sounds like a great night!
yeah Magik Markers are pretty cool. Elisa (who I believe is Ben's partner) is a fine guitar player herself. some tasty distorted and fractured playing. I found this full set on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SR3HSlBXnw
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

angelsighs wrote:Elisa ...is a fine guitar player herself.
Oh man, she rocked the house.
It was about a hundred degrees in that tiny room and she was all over it in her hoodie. We were about to faint from the heat but didn't dare leave and miss the magic spell.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

ah, sad I missed the magik markers thing as well as the damon and naomi thing last night. classes just started so I've been busy. how was the thing last night?
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Hofstadter wrote:how was the thing last night?
well..

magik markers were heavy, primal, gave me exactly what I needed musically, and Elisa was super friendly when i thanked her for the rock n roll

(i'm terrible at reviews, so bear with me)

Ben Chasny accompanied Dredd Foole (Dan Ireton, who I think is somewhat local , I recall seeing him here in the 90's w Corsano & other local-at-the-time folks), wailing on that guitar while Mr Foole brought to mind the one time I saw Michael Hurley... but maybe not. that was a long time ago. different vibe.

and Richard Youngs. Do folks know of him here? I did a search and nothing came up.
he's British and perhaps lives in Glasgow?
let's just say: if you go, and are un-initiated like I was, go with an open heart/mind:
a childhood fantasy set to verse, tragic and hilarious
a capella (which I love) piece w many repeated mentions of "no more perdition"
a bit of "4:33" but more like 8 full minutes... which i really dug.
the interview posted above was enlightening for me.
a rare spirit, candid, no B.S.
I'm gonna buy his record.

hope yr classes are good!

ps/ angelsighs, thanks for posting that video, it looks great..
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Saw the Milk Carton Kids yesterday in a little church in my town. Beautiful music: they're a folk duo, just two guitars and two voices blending so pretty it makes one want to weep. And the most dead pan hilarious inbetween song banter that has you laughing out loud. A perfect combination. Go and see them if you can!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Spiritualized in NYC last night.
Going to the J. Spaceman show tonight,
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

good dope/good fun wrote:Spiritualized in NYC last night.
Set list and spoilers?
I think I feel it coming on
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

purespace wrote:
good dope/good fun wrote:Spiritualized in NYC last night.
Set list and spoilers?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/09/l ... -hall-910/
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

hey I spotted a saxophone in one of those review pics..haven't seen one of those at a spz gig in a long long time...
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Webster Hall gig was good.
But in all honesty it had a weird flow.
Home of The Brave was preceded by The Individual.
And Take Good Care Of It followed All Of My Tears.
While I do love both of those songs, I don't think they make a great encore.
Just my opinion.

And the J. Spaceman show the next night was interesting.
Very avant garde.
J played some keys on the baby grand in between his guitar loops.
Kid Millions kept it jazzy.
Played for about 35 minutes and took a short break and then played for about another 20.
The latter half was more subdued.

Cool club.
Maybe 250 people.

And whoever the 1st act was fucking sucked balls.
He was terrible.
My wife compared his performance to a migraine headache.
Not what I was looking for as my MDA started to kick in.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Spiritualized - Union Transfer, Philadelphia 9/9/2013 & Webster Hall, New York City 9/10/2013

First off, both shows had the same setlist as the previous Carolina and D.C. shows. The Philly show was much more comfortable with a good sized crowd in a smaller venue than Webster Hall but the sound wasn't that great. I was right by the mixing desk for the Philly show and the guitars were low in the mix and overall the sound was a bit muddy. Webster Hall on the other hand was packed and it was so uncomfortably hot! I ended up just watching the show by the back bar but the sound was a lot better and the band just seemed more into it compared to the Philly show. Overall they were both good shows, not as much new stuff as the shows a few months ago. Oh yeah, loved watching Kid Millions on the drum kit. "All Of My Tears / Take Good Care Of It" in Philly was amazing.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Fuck buttons and haxan cloak on weds. Awesome as per.....fuck buttons volume levels were awesome, mate of mine who has seen swans reckons they surpassed that. My ears were totally screwed the following day
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

spunder wrote:Fuck buttons and haxan cloak on weds. Awesome as per.....fuck buttons volume levels were awesome, mate of mine who has seen swans reckons they surpassed that. My ears were totally screwed the following day
How were Haxan Cloak? some friends back home are sort of into them but I haven't checked 'em out.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Black Angels in Glasgow were brilliant on Saturday night. First time i've seen them live and was really impressed with them. Their last album disapopointed me a little, but the songs sounded so much better live so i think i'll maybe give it another chance. Great sound in the venue (Classic Grand, first time i've been in there too, nice size/sound).
The final song played was just incredible (anyone shed any light on the last song? i recognised bits of it, but couldn't put a name to it). Their drummer was just amazing all night but she really impressed with this last track. Building to unbelieveable crescendo with some MANIC drumming before breaking back down to the songs original beat effortlessly... put a real smile on my face watching her.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

spunder wrote:Fuck buttons and haxan cloak on weds. Awesome as per.....fuck buttons volume levels were awesome, mate of mine who has seen swans reckons they surpassed that. My ears were totally screwed the following day
Skipped their Dublin gig on Saturday night as they weren't due on stage until 1am and I really couldn't be arsed driving up and down to Dublin at that hour of the day, oh well... Plus I had the following on Sunday night:
Laz69 wrote:Black Angels in Glasgow were brilliant on Saturday night. First time i've seen them live and was really impressed with them. Their last album disapopointed me a little, but the songs sounded so much better live so i think i'll maybe give it another chance. Great sound in the venue (Classic Grand, first time i've been in there too, nice size/sound).
The final song played was just incredible (anyone shed any light on the last song? i recognised bits of it, but couldn't put a name to it). Their drummer was just amazing all night but she really impressed with this last track. Building to unbelieveable crescendo with some MANIC drumming before breaking back down to the songs original beat effortlessly... put a real smile on my face watching her.
Superb in Dublin also. Fourth time seeing them and they didn't disappoint. First time seeing them with visuals, they must be making a bit of cash now. Had two mates with me who knew nothing about them, just went on my recommendation, and they were well impressed.
Laz, i too recognised the last song but i've spent the past hour going through all their releases and can't find it on any of them! :? It might possibly have been a re-jigged version of 'Ronettes' but I have my doubts. My mate took a photo of the setlist but none of the encore songs were written down on it. They really are a great band though.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Just got a response via The Black Angels facebook page naming the final song as "Black Isn't Black"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DWCdL-6YVY

Sound isn't as good as Glasgow show on that vid, but its the right track.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Jeez, went to see THE WALL last night. What a great show that is! Always a bit put off when I know exactly what is coming next the whole way through, but I enjoyed it a lot. Met Roger before the show, he was as disinterested as I expected, NEVER CHANGE ROG!
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

The Black Angels last Sunday.
excellent gig. The drummer is a force unto herself and with those visuals raining down on her she was a tripped out joy to watch

Shame about the venue. Something about the Music Centre venue in Dublin. Every gig Ive been to in there never bats out of the stadium. Not sure what it is and my heart always sinks a little when I see the place mentioned on a bands tour list.
However the Black Angels gig was for me the best gig yet in there.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKueokQFTZ4
Kath Bloom/Tom Hanford

not from last night, obviously, but she did perform this.

fabulous!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Saw them and the Cloak down here in Brighton last Monday night...fuck me, both bands were loud. A different kind of loudness to most of the gigs I go to these days though...massive, reverberating bass that just shook right through your body. Really enjoyable gig, made even better by the fact that the FBs had some copies of Tarot Sport going on vinyl....I thought these had sold out long ago and I've even seen copies go on eBay for over £100 recently :shock: The girl on the merch stall who also worked for ATP recordings said they were from the bands own personal stock and she was surprised there were any still around as there's never been repress.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Mainliner last night.. wow just as intense and noisy as I was expecting!! some of the guitar playing was simply out of this world...
no frills venue (simply a basement room under the pub, no light show at all) but what an experience!
I guess they are a kind of a one trick pony but what a trick!

well stocked merch desk too with plenty of Acid Mothers Temple and their various iterations too... I got a copy of Live in Japan and also a CD of Mainliner rarities.

the perfect appetiser to a weekend of Psych... catching my train to Liverpool shortly, see you on the other side!!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Spent yesterday at the Liverpool Psyche Festival. Many, many beers with Angelsighs, Aquarian-Time and a motely crew of other desparados before and during the gig. Also ran into Clewsr and Mrs Clewsr (twice in a week Ric!). Carlton Melton were phenomenal last night. Out of the bands I saw, CM were streets ahead of the field IMHO. I really enjoyed Moon Duo (much better with a real drummer) and Eat Lights: Become Lights (who were just astonishingly loud). The rest was a bit Meh really IMHO, but it was a festival so you can't expect every band to hit the heights. Beer was great too.....although I'm shattered now. In at 3:30 am. up at 5:30 with my 3-year old and off to work at 9:30. A man of my years should know better. Off now for round 2, photographs to follow.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

olan wrote:Spent yesterday at the Liverpool Psyche Festival. Many, many beers with Angelsighs, Aquarian-Time and a motely crew of other desparados before and during the gig. Also ran into Clewsr and Mrs Clewsr (twice in a week Ric!). Carlton Melton were phenomenal last night. Out of the bands I saw, CM were streets ahead of the field IMHO. I really enjoyed Moon Duo (much better with a real drummer) and Eat Lights: Become Lights (who were just astonishingly loud). The rest was a bit Meh really IMHO, but it was a festival so you can't expect every band to hit the heights. Beer was great too.....although I'm shattered now. In at 3:30 am. up at 5:30 with my 3-year old and off to work at 9:30. A man of my years should know better. Off now for round 2, photographs to follow.
Thought it was great. Only managed to see Dead Meadow, Psychic Ills and Moon Duo. Got pleasantly mashed - really decent event, nice cosmopolitan crowd, and reasonably priced ale.
AdrianEstrada
New user

Post by AdrianEstrada »

KingHarry wrote:
olan wrote:Spent yesterday at the Liverpool Psyche Festival. Many, many beers with Angelsighs, Aquarian-Time and a motely crew of other desparados before and during the gig. Also ran into Clewsr and Mrs Clewsr (twice in a week Ric!). Carlton Melton were phenomenal last night. Out of the bands I saw, CM were streets ahead of the field IMHO. I really enjoyed Moon Duo (much better with a real drummer) and Eat Lights: Become led lighting (who were just astonishingly loud). The rest was a bit Meh really IMHO, but it was a festival so you can't expect every band to hit the heights. Beer was great too.....although I'm shattered now. In at 3:30 am. up at 5:30 with my 3-year old and off to work at 9:30. A man of my years should know better. Off now for round 2, photographs to follow.
Thought it was great. Only managed to see Dead Meadow, Psychic Ills and Moon Duo. Got pleasantly mashed - really decent event, nice cosmopolitan crowd, and reasonably priced ale.
Yes it do agree with you.. I was very nice event and I managed to see it completely
Last edited by AdrianEstrada on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Carlton Melton & The Cosmic Dead... incredible... just incredible.

The Cosmic Dead played a blinder as usual, but Carlton Melton just left me speechless. Rich seemed rather worse for wear by the time they came on, but he played with such focus and energy that you'd never know. Seriously great show with some really cheap merch too (I spent a fortune!). Don't miss them.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Carlton Melton are without question my current favourite live act, Rich despite being blind drunk everytime i have seen them, seems to pull a performance out of nowhere and the moment when the gig reaches the halfway point and Andy hits the drums... well alls well with the world.
As mentyioned by Olan, I was at Liverpol Psych fest with the great of the good of this here forum and the pysch world in general.
Firstly great meet ups with my forthcoming ATP buddies Olan and Angelsighs, I think we can safely say we will have a blast at Camber Sands. Much joshing, drinking, stumbling and in my case on Friday/Sat Morning non functioning was had by all.
Food was decent and reasonably priced, the Liverpool Craft Beer stand was doing a roaring trade (and made a mockery me of the first night). Highlights for me were Carlton Melton, White Manna, The Liininanas, Psychic ills (much heavier than i imagined) and Jacco Gardner. Hookworms were ..well loud really , if I hadnt been aware of the songs very well, they could have played anything and i wouldnt of known what it was, very little clarity between instruments and the vox were more inaudible than normal, so we headed off to watch Fuzz, who blew the roof off the place.
Next year is a goer according to the man behind this festival, I would urge anyone remotely interested to go for it, relaxed like minded people in a great venue listening to great music, drinking great beer (and cocktails no w and again !!). Whats not to like ?