What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: spzretent, BzaInSpace, runcible, MODLAB

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Postby niamhm » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Moon Duo @ Glasgow Stereo,
Great show, so glad I made the effort, only managed to get a ticket on the afternoon of the show from a bloke on Twitter and had to drive through as I was `on call` so it was a dry night, one pint of lager shandy, but nothing could put a dampner on the night, played for 75 min roughly and did most of the most recent album and a few from the previous two, nothing earlier than that I think and finished with a cover of No Fun which set of a mosh pit!! As Flokie an Mark said, White Rose was a monster extended workout, they pulled a similar trick a few other times very hypnotic, worked great between some of the shorter numbers, Ripley is just great to watch, Sanae makes an awesome variety of sounds from her electronics and the drummer, well he`s like a machine, so much better as a three piece I think.
niamhm
Known user

Postby sunray » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:21 pm

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Academy, Dublin.
Smallest venue i've ever seen them in so it already had an advantage. Glad that it was long sold out too.
Continuation of the good form they showed in Glasgow with the added bonus of Cherry Came Too :shock: Reverence was further extended and particularly violent and menacing. In Glasgow I was a little under the influence but here I was stone cold straight and sober and they were possibly even better. They're as tight as the Mary Chain will ever get, the noise and volume is there and they seem to be enjoying it (I'm sure I saw Jim and William smiling at each other at one point :D ). Wish i'd grabbed a ticket for Belfast the night after. Definitely their best Irish appearance since 1989!
The audience was a mix of young and old and it was nice to hear people singing along to the new material (well, sort of nice. Y'know what I mean). The return for an encore brought about prolonged applause which prompted Jim to quip "Stop, you're making me smile" :lol: My only quibble would be that I'd actually like to hear more Damage and Joy songs instead of the hits.

Found out earlier that they're playing 'intimate' venues in Holmfirth, Hull and Reading in July. I would urge anyone to try and see them at those gigs, or anywhere for that matter, 'cos you may never see them playing this well again.
I'm losing my edge, but I was there...
sunray
Known user

Postby James T » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Holmfirth canceled pretty much as soon as announced. Would like to make it to Hull but trains are a shite.
James T
Known user

Postby runcible » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:47 am

Magpie Salute at Under the Bridge,, Fulham, London.

Ex-Black Crowes Rich Robinson new project & their UK debut. Man they blew the fucking roof off. A 10 piece line up (3 guitars, bass, keys, drums, lead vocalist + 3 backing singers) played loads of Crowes classics, various solo stuff & lots of great cover versions. 2 more ex Crowes - Sven Pipien on bass & Marc Ford on guitar - added pedigree and quality. It's years since I have seen Marc play but last night his performance & delivery were nothing short of spectacular. His solo in Sometimes Salvation was so brutal, so crunching it brought the house down & he got the biggest cheer of the night at the end. What a player the man is. Amidst the slabs of heavy southern guitar rock appeared a sublime cover of Pat Kelly's ‘How Long’. Hearing reggae played so authentically in that environment was a tad surprising, but then these guys are seriously good musicians so little seemed beyond them.

Highlights were endless. Crowes favourites My Morning Song, Nonfiction, Thorn In My Pride, Jealous Again, Sting Me, Under A Mountain, Halfway To Everywhere… Dave Mason's Only You And I Know, Zeppelin’s Your Time Is Gonna Come.

Singer John Hogg was superb & nailed all the Chris Robinson vocals he took on - Sometimes Salvation was an ambitious undertaking but he showed what a great vocalist he is. As were the 3 backing ladies who all had a turn on lead vocals. But everyone was fantastic & essential to the overall sound - lots of grins between the band members & a terrific vibe in the place.

For myself & Mrs Runcible it was a triumph, & worth the trip to London, which I hated even more than I did before. Christ what a city - how I lived there for so long is beyond me! Despite that the venue was excellent - sold out but very comfortable & uncrowded.

Quite a night. 10 musicians, 21 songs, 2 ½ hours. And TWO incredible gigs in under a week. Brilliant.
runcible
Site Admin

Postby BROKENHEART » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:12 pm

New Candys at the Hope and Ruin Brighton . Really like this venue, probably half the capacity of The Haunt nearby, and easier to move around the venue upstairs . No heaving crowd , but enough to make it a great evening for all .
Vinyl Staircase kicked the evening off with some psych jangling guitars which sounded really good for a band looking so young.
Next on stage were Is Bliss, who recently supported The JAMC at a recent Bournemouth gig . Lots of influences coming through from there set , MBV ,The Verve , Slowdive , Spacemen 3 and lots more , even some sitar sounding guitar . Another great set from an up and coming band looking destined for good times.
Finally New Candys finish the evening off, after a late arrival and rushed tune up. Fuzz,surf,rock,drone and everything else you need from this four piece formed in Italy. I just love their surf, Cramps style guitars . A really fine end to a great evening of psych music, and all for a fiver. Can't be bad .
BROKENHEART
Known user

Postby Feedback Forever » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:45 am

niamhm wrote:Moon Duo @ Glasgow Stereo,
Great show, so glad I made the effort, only managed to get a ticket on the afternoon of the show from a bloke on Twitter and had to drive through as I was `on call` so it was a dry night, one pint of lager shandy, but nothing could put a dampner on the night, played for 75 min roughly and did most of the most recent album and a few from the previous two, nothing earlier than that I think and finished with a cover of No Fun which set of a mosh pit!! As Flokie an Mark said, White Rose was a monster extended workout, they pulled a similar trick a few other times very hypnotic, worked great between some of the shorter numbers, Ripley is just great to watch, Sanae makes an awesome variety of sounds from her electronics and the drummer, well he`s like a machine, so much better as a three piece I think.

Saw them in Oslo a few weeks back. Very hypnotic and beautiful.
Feedback Forever
Known user

Postby spzretent » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:51 am

PJ Harvey at the Royal Oak Music Theater.
I had never seen PJ Harvey and was blown away. Such professional musicians she surrounds herself with. Just the perfect amount of soul and drama without going overboard. I rarely pay a lot to see bands but this $55 was worth every penny and more.
Loved hearing 50 Ft Queenie. Bummed there was no Written On The Forehead but still. What a show!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spzretent
Site Admin

Postby angelsighs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Spectres last night at the Hare & Hounds, Birmingham

Been wanting to catch these for a little while. wouldn't say I was a huge fan (enjoyed the first album, haven't yet bothered with the second) but I like what they do, and I think noisy and loud music is great in the live environment.

There can't have been more than 30 or 40 people there, luckily it didn't feel too sparse as they cut the room in half with a big curtain.

There were 3 (!) support bands of which I caught two- Simple Eyes- (fairly noisy guitar and bass duo over beats) and Mutes (clumsy mixture of grunge and shoegaze)

Spectres were basically what I expected- nice and noisy with some huge fuzzy moments when they step on the pedals. the sound quality of the PA was excellent meaning there was still some clarity there. they seem to have cribbed a lot of their sound from early Sonic Youth, No Wave stuff- alternate tunings, abrasive riffs bending the songs into weird shapes.

enjoyable set but an hour was enough as they are basically a one trick pony. and although they were noisy, they weren't really especially loud. my ears weren't ringing afterwards (although I accept that this could be because my ears are already done in!)
angelsighs
Known user

Postby Shinesalight » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:04 pm

Seeing Spectres for the third time in Brighton on Friday night, more because my friends are fans than me. They're always enjoyable/noisy but, like you say, bit samey after a while.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:55 am

Shinesalight wrote:Seeing Spectres for the third time in Brighton on Friday night, more because my friends are fans than me. They're always enjoyable/noisy but, like you say, bit samey after a while.

yeah they do one thing but they do it well. Although I am glad I saw them and enjoyed it, I'd now put them in the category of bands I'd happily see again but wouldn't go out of my way to do so.
angelsighs
Known user

Previous

Return to Gigs