Wonder Ballroom, Portland - 4/9/2013

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

toomilk
Known user

Wonder Ballroom, Portland - 4/9/2013

Post by toomilk »

Yet another amazing show. Met the legendary RedCloud (michael) before the show. Nice guy.

I'm at a weird bar/house, so I'll quickly run down the details:

-NEW SONG. '"D" Song' they played this instead of '"A" Song" in the set.

-Amazing walking with Jesus that led into TAKE GOOD CARE OF IT. not the full song though, but enough to make me freak out.

-short-hair singer was back. Low energy though, maybe she was sick? (Who cares?)

-pure phase before they walked on (first time).

-keyboard player used music box on Here It Comes (the Road).

-good sound overall, could have used more vocals though.

-most solid performance I've seen so far. It was enough to make me sing along near the end, which is the first time this tour. Loved it.

I'll post pics in a bit.
suskind
Known user

Re: Wonder Ballroom, Portland - 4/9/2013

Post by suskind »

My first Spiritualized gig but I say it's one of my all time favorite concerts!! It was amazing. I got in early and saw Jason in good mood.. it was great!! I was in the front row so the sound was not the most desirable especially the vocal was very low, sometimes I almost couldn't hear him (e.g. here it comes). The new song and Take Good Care were definitely surprising, but I was so caught up at how amazing each song - that I've listened to so many times - sounds, so everything feels very elusive right now. Simply amazing. The backdrop was also great. The new drummer guy was crazy too! Freedom and Think I'm In Love, WWJ were the highlights for me. Roll on Santa Cruz!!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

so what did D song sound like?? and how did you know it was called that- did you get a setlist?

on a minor note I'm glad the pure phase tone is back, I love it
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Firstly, nice to meet toomilk and put a face to a name. Secondly, last night was a very good show billed as "An Evening With..." so the band came on at 8:30 (probably more like 8:45) and played for two hours. Definitely not as packed as last May but still a decent crowd. Couple reasons for it being less crowded...maybe because it was mid-week but also because they came on earlier. I think some may have missed the start of the show. Normally headline bands will come on around 9/9:30. Their loss.

Hard to describe the new musicians. But, the most noticeable difference is in the rhythm section. There is a real primal, rawness to the drummer. At times it's almost as if he is uncontrolled BUT it works. Timings didn't feel different but there felt like more beats rolling off the kit. The bass player really rocked it and kept the rhythm moving perfectly in both the mellow and the rocking songs.

Have to say, I love how these new songs have developed. They seem to now have more space to breathe. Last tour it seemed maybe 'Hey Jane' was the song that had a white canvas and allowed for the band to open up. 'So Long You Pretty Thing' is now full on rock anthem with the crowd singing along. Some of the older songs too have taken on new life. 'Think I'm in Love' sounded stoned and hazy and very west coast. Almost had a swing to it. The new song ("D" Song) had a pummeling rhythm to it that didn't let up until the end where the guitars started to jam a bit. Again, almost a swing vibe to it but with a chugging locomotive rhythm. Really great and quite exciting nod to maybe a new direction(?).

Always love hearing 'Take Your Time'. The build up was tremendous especially with the new band. By the end they were probably at their loudest and in full stride peaking to their raw energy that was centered around the drum kit.

Setlist (photographed from toomilk's copy that we waited patiently for):

Here it Comes
Hey Jane
Electricity > Shine A Light
Let it Rain
Let it Flow
Rated X
Oh Baby
Freedom
"D" Song
Perfect Miracle
So Long You Pretty Thing
Think I'm In Love
Take Your Time

E: Walking With Jesus > Take Good Care Of It (partial)
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

angelsighs wrote:so what did D song sound like?? and how did you know it was called that- did you get a setlist?
It said it on the set list.

It was a kind of bluesy droning song. 3 chords, fueled mainly by the bass line. Doggen played harmonica. Very early stages of a song, felt more like a jam on one part. It sounded good and there was a very positive reaction to it from the crowd.
Hotblack
New user

Post by Hotblack »

Hey everyone, I registered for this board so I could ask about last night's show. I was a big fan of theirs in the L&G->Amazing Grace era but last night was my first time seeing them. I love the new material, been listening to the new album today and it's really strong and I've been listening to their back catalog quite a lot recently having not listened to them much in recent years.

I've been trying to figure out one of the songs they played - it was toward the end, super anthemic with a really distinctive lead riff and a singalong chorus. I listened to Sweet Heart Sweet Light for the first time this morning and it didn't seem like it was anything on that album. I thought it might have been D Song when I initially saw the setlist but it doesn't sound like it by the description.

I suppose it was So Long You Pretty Thing? Did it have more guitar than it usually does? Interesting that redcloud called it a "full on rock anthem" because that's exactly how I'd describe this mystery song. I pictured people singing along to a jukebox at closing time. Anyone know if it got recorded, even a crappy cell phone video? I'd love to be able to hear it again.

So glad I went last night. I forgot how much I used to like these guys, and unlike a lot of old bands with new albums that I've been seeing lately, I actually find their new music compelling.
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Hey milk?
Of all of these shows you've been hitting, are you looking to see if there are any tapers?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

good dope/good fun wrote:Hey milk?
Of all of these shows you've been hitting, are you looking to see if there are any tapers?
I'll let toomilk elaborate but he did say to me that he noticed professional recording equipment/mics at a few of the gigs he's been to. I didn't notice any obvious mics at Portland. But, the Wonder Ballroom is an old church/lodge so maybe they had them set up in the back and I just didn't see them? Either that or I'm blind. The latter could well be the case. :D
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

The guy standing next to me had something looked like a small recording device but as far as I remember he was not holding it towards the stage.

I taped most of the gig (more like holding my camera phone in my hand around my neck without looking) the video is okay but the sound is quite terrible :( because 1) I filmed it with my crappy smartphone 2) I was standing in the bloody front row
Hope the guy or someone else recorded this gig.

Also @ hotblack - I am pretty sure So Long is the song you're talking about. If no bootleg of the song on this tour surfaces I can upload the song for you. The sound is really bad but at least you can recognize the song..
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

As expected, video is starting to show up. Here are 'Shine A Light' and 'Take Your Time' from Portland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FXn1T_3iKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_CQpS1Trdo
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

good dope/good fun wrote:Hey milk?
I haven't seen anything aside from a few iPhones recording. They all have had pro recordings set up, but I don't know what they're going to do with them. Probably just an internal thing.