The people who talk through gigs...

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

scarecrowz
Known user

The people who talk through gigs...

Post by scarecrowz »

http://thequietus.com/articles/14099-ta ... -pollution

Always infuriates me, the number of arseholes who insist on loudly prattling about themselves throughout gigs - anybody else think that SPZ shows seem to attract an above average number of these?
James T
Known user

Re: The people who talk through gigs...

Post by James T »

I think it depends on the act. Most of the time, acts whose sets are almost entirely made up of "quiet" stuff seem to have few problems outside of major cities (with bigger crowds). I've seen people like Low, Sigur Ros and Stars of The Lid etc... and had no problems with anyone speaking. I think the only Low and Sigur Ros shows where the crowd have been really noisy were both in Paris, and I had a similar problem at a Mono gig there.
scarecrowz
Known user

Post by scarecrowz »

I saw PJ Harvey in Paris (2011) and the audience was enthusiastic, but there didn't seem to be the continuous loud conversations going on throughout songs, so I guess it does depend on the audience the band attract to an extent..

All-seater venues seem to make a difference as well though: the Southbank & Sage LAGWAFIS shows I went to didn't have audience prattle - and at the AM shows the chatterers seemed to get shut down pretty quickly by people nearby.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

scarecrowz wrote:http://thequietus.com/articles/14099-ta ... -pollution

Always infuriates me, the number of arseholes who insist on loudly prattling about themselves throughout gigs - anybody else think that SPZ shows seem to attract an above average number of these?
I am inclined to agree with you.

Thinking back over the last ten years, Spiritualized gigs have been the best and the worst. The RFH show back in 2004 was OK as was the Acoustic Mainlines there and Ladies & Gents gigs at the RFH and The Barbican. Hackney Empire and the first Roundhouse show weren’t bad either but the Roundhouse show around 18 months ago was so full of chatters I gave up for a couple of songs and went outside for a cigarette, the Acoustic Mainlines at Shepherds Bush Empire was so noisy I left long before the end.

I haven’t been to too many gigs this year and have to say it hasn’t been too bad. The Specials at Brixton was a riotous affair but people listened similarly a Neville Staple show at Stamford Bridge was a big drunken Friday night out but no talking through songs. You couldn’t have talked through My Bloody Valentine at Hammersmith as it was far too loud (and there might be something to be learned in that) and Moon Duo at The Boston Arms was a selfish-fucker free zone. The only time I have got a bit exasperated this year was Tindersticks at The Barbican as I sat stewing in my chair wishing I had a bigger pair, a voice two rows back suddenly said “can you shut the fuck up please”
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I had an argument at Slint at ATP. Some stupid girls behind me, really stupid.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Hah I found myself reading this article earlier this morning and I tend to agree.
I never found Spiritualized crowds to stick out as particularly loud - one exception perhaps was the Edinburgh gig in 2011 but that was an odd one, and people were taken aback with the setlist being SHSL from start to finish.
Weekend gigs are easily the worst - you get fewer casual gig goers on school nights to start with, and most people have to get up the next day. And venue size plays a part too - anything over >1000 capacity means whoever is playing is popular enough to attract plenty of idiots.
I'm sure I'll still make exceptions for some bands, but I'm done with Fri/Sat. night gigs at the likes of the ABC or Barrowlands for the most part. King Tuts can be terrible too.

"The bar's that way pal" in my strongest Glasgow accent succeeded in scaring away a loud twat at the front during Slint at ATP. I need to keep this in mind next time I attend a gig down south :lol:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Greg Dulli speaks his mind!

nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

redcloud wrote:Greg Dulli speaks his mind!
Good man Greg.

Tindersticks walked off stage in Eindhoven in 2010 due to people not shutting the fuck up, never came back on either.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

nickh wrote:
Good man Greg.

Tindersticks walked off stage in Eindhoven in 2010 due to people not shutting the fuck up, never came back on either.
when was that?
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The shushers are far more distracting than the talkers.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

burningwheel wrote:
nickh wrote:
Good man Greg.

when was that?
:lol: it would be hard for him to specify more precisely when it happened!
Unless u mean like what month or day or time... Or what tune part of tat tune how far into the show??

It's a funny story tho. Gigs that crap out can be fun after the immediate disappointment fades. Or if its really bad then it's a relief it crapped out. There's plenty of gigs I wish had crapped out.
gonna burn brightly
for a while