Liverpool International Festival of Psychedelia 2017

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: spzretent, BzaInSpace, runcible, MODLAB

Liverpool International Festival of Psychedelia 2017

Postby Martin L » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:58 pm

Dates announced of 22 + 23 September. Limited tickets priced at £50 on sale Friday morning. No acts announced yet!
Martin L
Known user

Re: Liverpool International Festival of Psychedelia 2017

Postby angelsighs » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:55 am

they tweeted the other day in a fashion that suggests that some news might be coming soon. which would be pretty cool. from previous years I think i remember it usually being Feb/March for the first announcement?
angelsighs
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:19 pm

big news next week apparently
angelsighs
Known user

Postby Martin L » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:41 pm

I hope its good and they apologise for the early bird ticket fiasco!
Martin L
Known user

Postby niamhm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:44 pm

angelsighs wrote:big news next week apparently

Seem to be dragging their heels with the `big news` wonder what the hold up is?They did change the colour on the logo, does that qualify as big news? :lol:
niamhm
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:38 am

ha yeah I guess sometimes it takes a little longer to cross the I's and dot the T's before you can make the announcement.

changing their logo is usually a precusor to the first announcement so I don't think we'll have to wait much longer.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby Aquarian-Time » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:43 am

Black Angels, White Manna and Wolf People great stuff......then I am totally underwhelmed

Not convinced I am attending unless they add some better bands in the second announcement
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Postby MODLAB » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Yawn. Was really hoping to this year too. Sigh. Not worth it in my opinion.
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Postby James T » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:19 pm

Will be there for Loop. Not a bad line-up by any means but nothing that would convince me to part with the cost of the wild weekend's of yesteryear... That said, there's more to come. We'll see.
James T
Known user

Postby sunray » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:55 pm

You're all nuts. That's the best opening line up they've had for a couple of years.

The Black Angels, Songhoy Blues, Loop, White Manna, Adrian Sherwood, Pigs x 7, The Bongolian all immediately catch the eye. Add in Laetitia Sadier, Sex Swing, Chris Forsyth, Julie's Haircut, Magic Shoppe, Container, Bitchin' Bajas and Rancho Relaxo and there's enough to be getting on with already.
I'm losing my edge, but I was there...
sunray
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Thank god Joycey, thought I was alone. I think it's a great first announcement. Definitely enough for a starter for me.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby Aquarian-Time » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:43 pm

I mean I'm obviously going to go, just having a moan that's all :D
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Postby niamhm » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Cautious thumbs up from me, Black Angels, Loop & White Manna catching my eye immediately, but will want to check out Laetitia Sadier and Adrian Sherwood as well. The Rocket Recordings acts are always good value and a few other interesting things further down the lineup and another round of bands to come, what I did notice is £80, price is creeping steadily upwards.
niamhm
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Aquarian-Time wrote:I mean I'm obviously going to go, just having a moan that's all :D

fair enough. just make sure you get the moaning out the way before the weekend itself :)

I think it's a really good first announcement. I guess it's subjective but I remember some previous years first announcements being more underwhelming to me.

Really stoked to see Chris Forsyth and The Solar Motel Band. I've only seen Black Angels once before. many of the other bands I've seen before but very happy to see again.
lots of other stuff piqued my interest- Adrian Sherwood (nice bit of dub?), Laetitia Sadier (wonder what that will be like), Ex Easter Island Head (treated electric guitars?)
angelsighs
Known user

Postby olan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:35 pm

As usual I'm going to treat this like a social event with some interesting music. I've hardly been bothered by the headline acts for several years, but have found lots to enjoy in the bottom of the bill acts. This is very thin currently. Having said that, I hope Sonic turns up to play with Julie's Haircut and am looking forward to Laetitia Sadier as a total saddo when it comes to Stereolab.

I'm bringing a zippo to burn down those feckin' net curtains if they reappear. :twisted: Putting in a proper PA and light show for both big rooms should be a priority. The camp was a disgrace last year, too quiet most of the time (and not even turned on for the first tune and a half in the Silver Apples set) and bloody dull to look at. :evil:

Hopefully I will be less yellow and more on the beer this year too.
olan
Known user

Postby Martin L » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:59 pm

Hopefully it will still be an interesting event. The price creeping up is down to the venue organising everything and realising that they can make more money out of everyone
Martin L
Known user

Postby MODLAB » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:07 pm

Just don't find worth the travel and hotel etc.
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Postby sunray » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:50 pm

To be fair, the price is exactly the same as last year.
sunray
Known user

Postby James T » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:46 am

Think the ticket price is very fair, just the cost of hotels and travel and drinks and food makes it a very expensive weekend. I have so many out-of-town shows coming up costing a fortune that i can't manage the whole weekend for this and won't be staying overnight. I can't really stand Black Angels, so it works out nicely for an early getaway I guess!
James T
Known user

Postby niamhm » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:59 pm

sunray wrote:To be fair, the price is exactly the same as last year.

Well, my ticket was £62.50 last yr, incl fees and this yr it will £87.50 incl fees. ,
niamhm
Known user

Postby sunray » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Yeah but didn't you get the early bird last year?
I missed out on the early bird last year and paid £88 including fees, which'll be the same this year.
sunray
Known user

Postby Martin L » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Did anyone get an early bird ticket this year? I think it will be interesting to see how much the tickets are when they send the e-mail tomorrow to everyone on their mailing list, otherwise £80
Martin L
Known user

Postby Aquarian-Time » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:04 pm

We currently know of one lucky winner in the early bird. Compared to everyone who wanted one last year an years before all getting one. I think that tells its own story.
Last edited by Aquarian-Time on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Postby niamhm » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:36 pm

You`ll have to excuse my cynicism but I reckon I had a snowball in hells chance of getting an early bird ticket this yr. Zero problems getting one the last 3 yr though funnily enough :?

Just to add, I`ve listening to the Celestial Bums album and I will definitely be checking them out :)
niamhm
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:04 pm

got my ticket. but yeah, £90 with fees. once it tips over 100 notes I think i'll start thinking more about whether it's worth it.

what's the controversy about the early bird? is there some sort of conspiracy afoot?

I could always go for the early bird next year but with my luck that'll be when the lineup finally goes to pot.

very much looking forward to it as personally the lineup is great for me as a starter. and there'll be another helping along soon including another headliner.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby Shinesalight » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:30 pm

Ticket purchased, with slight reservations about first line-up announcement. Hoping for better with the next one though, like we always say, its more about the whole weekend rather than just the bands.

Early bird tickets seem to go very quickly with very few people reporting they actually got hold of one. Looks like more of a PR exercise rather than a genuine "early bird" offer. In previous years the early birds hang around for much longer.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Postby Martin L » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:38 pm

I managed to purchase early bird tickets every time apart from this year. Prices are creeping up, last years beer token idea {you will get served quicker, stop staff thieving from the bar, no cash etc (will keep quiet about the lack of staff at the cans only bar in Camp before cavern of anti-matter and the students who served the beer), increased security keeping everyone inside the fence is making it all feel a bit more corporate and less home grown. I will have more faith in The Invisible Wind Factory FestEVOL to keep it entertaining and if the last Liverpool music week closing party venues are the same the grimy gritty locations will be fun!
Martin L
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Shinesalight wrote:
Early bird tickets seem to go very quickly with very few people reporting they actually got hold of one. Looks like more of a PR exercise rather than a genuine "early bird" offer. In previous years the early birds hang around for much longer.

hmm that is a bit fishy. and dodgy if true.

no festival is perfect, and it does seem to be getting gradually more corporate. but what I'd say is.. name me one better festival around at the moment? if they're out there I'd love to know.

I guess the quality of the lineup is always subjective but I'm certainly more than happy with this first annoucement.

people need to check out Chris Forsyth and the Solar Motel Band. the 'Solar Motel' album itself is one of my absolute favourites of recent years. imagine if Television suddenly decided to start playing krautrock. yep, that good.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby flokie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:21 pm

angelsighs wrote:I guess the quality of the lineup is always subjective but I'm certainly more than happy with this first annoucement.

people need to check out Chris Forsyth and the Solar Motel Band. the 'Solar Motel' album itself is one of my absolute favourites of recent years. imagine if Television suddenly decided to start playing krautrock. yep, that good.

I could very well be tempted to travel this year for this very reason. I'll wait and see what other gigs he plays around that time, but I suspect I may have to travel one way or another. White Manna is another band I haven't managed to see live yet but would love to. It seems like most years I hold out in hope that bands playing in Liverpool will then do a mini-tour and hit Glasgow, but in fact it doesn't really happen.

Oh and you really need to get your hands on a turntable and the Solar Motel Live LP!
flokie
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:31 pm

yeah, I'm sure you saw on twitter he is looking to put together a UK tour at the same time? looks like just festivals so far though.

White Manna are great live- one of the highlights of the fest a couple of years back. they sounded huge.

and yep, funnily enough I am in the process of procuring a turntable from a fellow forumite! first order of business will be to get hold of stuff that is only available in vinyl. one of which will certainly be that live record!
angelsighs
Known user

Return to Gigs