ABC Glasgow Tonight

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

The Other Jason
Known user

ABC Glasgow Tonight

Post by The Other Jason »

Anyone on here going?

Jason
Laz69
Known user

Re: ABC Glasgow Tonight

Post by Laz69 »

me and my mate will be there...

can hardly contain my excitement!!!
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Write us some 'reviews' please! :D I have to wait till Leeds...
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
spazed99
Known user

Post by spazed99 »

Band onstage at 8.30pm

an early one.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

As much as i'd like to think that this means they'll play longer, its probably due to some shitty, cunt-o disco thats on prompt at 10... man i FUCKIN hate that!!! :evil:
spazed99
Known user

Post by spazed99 »

it will still be the full one hour 45 minute set...ish
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Can you let us know a stage time for Leeds? That'd be well useful!
spazed99
Known user

Post by spazed99 »

All stage times 9pm.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Thank you! Deffo time for a pint then Simon?
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

Just back home (fortunate enough to live literally a 15-minute walk from the venue!)

********Spoiler warning - setlist ahead********

*** don't read any further if you don't want to know! ***

Roughly, order probably wrong in a couple places:

Amazing Grace > You Lie You Cheat > Shine A Light
Cheapster
Sweet Talk (is it me, or are they doing this live in a different key to the album?)
Soul On Fire
Rated X (Huzzah! A hugely underrated fave of mine!)
Sitting On Fire
Walking With Jesus (quite different new way of playing it, almost a sort of upbeat country thing going on. Check out the recent Ogden Theatre bootleg)
Oh Baby
Death Take Your Fiddle
Life Is A Problem > LAGWAFIS (not truly segued into one another as such, but they pretty much went straight into it with no more than a second or two pause)
She Kissed Me > Come Together (joined using the strobe build up thing they were doing on the AG tour)
Take Me To The Other Side (!!!!!!!!!)
Traditional freejazz wig-out

Lord Can You Hear Me
tied up
Known user

Post by tied up »

that was fucking amazing. my retinas have been burned out and i can't hear but it was well worth it.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

No Laid Back In The Sun? I hope they do that in Manchester. As much as I will love the gig, I am disappointed by the lack of variation in the selists. I know it must be hard to change it a lot but Take Your Time, I Think I'm In Love, Laid Back In The Sun could be added on there just to make it a good length! I really hoped to see a few old tracks like Run, Medication, Why Don't You Smile Now, Hypnotized, Anyway That You Want Me, These Blues etc... to make at least a few appearences.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

James T wrote:No Laid Back In The Sun?
Actually they definitely did play that AND I Think I'm In Love as well!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well, now I am not as grumpy!

I can't wait for Manchester! I am gutted I can't make it to Leeds anymore but London should maybe be possible! Why Dont You Smile Now needs to become involved though!!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Best Spiritualized show in Glasgow since Pure Phase tour... FACT!!!

Fabulous sound, excellent song selection and the entire band's ability to really go for it tonight! Jason looked like a man possessed during some of those psych-freakouts!

I'm blown away...

Jason, i salute you!

8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Incredible show :D Particular highlights:

> Amazing Grace/YLYC/Shine a Light: what an opening. The gospel singers add a whole new dimension to Shine a Light.

> the jaunty, upbeat jangle of Walkin' With Jesus, which has taken on a wonderful new life.

> Lay Back in the Sun: just WOW! The crowd went nuts! The gospel singers were fantastic here.

> I Think I'm In Love: I've always found this underwhelming live, but at last Jason has come up with an interpretation that rivals the mighty album version.

> LAGWAFIS: well, it's always a highlight...

> She Kissed Me/Come Together/TMTTOS: a monstrous triple-whammy of unfettered, crazily brutal guitar noise. This was the most incredible 20 or so minutes of Spz I've seen. Oh, the lights...

As much as I'm enjoying A&E, I felt that (apart from YLYC and Sweet Talk) the new songs brought slight lulls in the set. They were still good, but didn't gel so much for me. The first third of the gig was slightly marred by a nearby piss-artist, but he stumbled off somewhere after not too long. Doggen was just insane on his guitar; I don't know how it lasted the evening without needing new strings or major retuning... :o I've not heard Jason's playing so prominently either; every other time I've seen Spz he seems to have been relatively buried in the mix, at least to my ears. But he was playing some scorching stuff tonight, that's for sure.

What a night. Thanks for scheduling this show at the last minute, Jason! :D :D :D
gally
Known user

Post by gally »

Wow that was one great gig !The sound, lights ,band and of course jason who is a great live front man,did anyone record this i hope so as come together /take me to the other side was awsome
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Life Is A Problem...

Until you witness a gig like that and indeed, now my soul has been Spiritualized, again... :D

A fucking incredible show...who said they stopped using the crazy lightshow in previous threads???

I was still seeing stuff hours later... 8)

Some amazing scenes - the opening of 'Amazing Grace' - 'You Lie You Cheat' - 'Shine A Light' was spectacular, noisy, scarily intense and totally beautiful.

...the ace country 'Walking With Jesus' going right into 'Lay Back In The Sun'... :D

Big shout to the singers who really made these songs and other come alive. The sound was great and the band sounded perfectly louder than everybody else!

I'm with mc above - the last sequence was totally crazy - some of the guitar work at the end from Spaceman was just mindblowing - at one point it looked like his pedal was working the volume of the entire band... :shock:

Doggen is the best guitarist i've probably ever seen, and easily the best Spiritualized guitarist...ever!
It was great to see the crowd acknowledging him also - and good to be there with such an appreciative crowd.

There was a point when the played 'Ladies & Gentlemen we are floating in space' that everything felt....perfect!

Amazing Grace.

And Orbital...a pleasure as always! :D
O P 8
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Jyst in. best everSPZ gig for me. shortwave set deserved better too. :twisted: fuking cuntit ahhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggg
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
stodmeister
Known user

Post by stodmeister »

Laz69 wrote:Best Spiritualized show in Glasgow since Pure Phase tour... FACT!!!

8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8)
That is a fact best gig since The Arches in 1995.

They did play Lay Back In The Sun and Think I'm In Love

Keep The Faith!!
Take your time , back up a little bit.
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

WHAT A GIG!

Take me to the other side was the best spiritualized freak out ive ever heard, melted my brain !
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

man this is thrilling to read about having still not come down from the U.S. tour. Looks like the Europe/UK dates are getting the light show that was absent from the U.S. leg of the tour. Still no bother, the music did it all 8)

please keep those reports coming :D
I think I feel it coming on
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

BzaInSpace wrote:
I'm with mc above - the last sequence was totally crazy - some of the guitar work at the end from Spaceman was just mindblowing - at one point it looked like his pedal was working the volume of the entire band... :shock:

Doggen is the best guitarist i've probably ever seen, and easily the best Spiritualized guitarist...ever!
It was great to see the crowd acknowledging him also - and good to be there with such an appreciative crowd.
Oh in my opinion, Jason is BY FAR the best SPZ guitarist ever...I hope they keep turning him up so people can actually hear what he gets up to. Having said that, I adore Doggen too. :D They make a good team. The whole band is amazing, everyone complements each other. Can't wait for Friday now. Thanks for all the reviews, this is so exciting!!!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunny wrote: Oh in my opinion, Jason is BY FAR the best SPZ guitarist ever...I hope they keep turning him up so people can actually hear what he gets up to.
An interesting point. Jason plays the best noise wah-wah that I have ever heard - it's his signature. But at many gigs I've noticed that it's too embedded in the mix - it used to roar out like an air raid siren and it rippled all over the place, but I don't ever think his guitar is mixed loud enough and hasn't been for a while. That intense screech as he squelched his pedal was absolutely mind-blowing and I wish he'd use it more....
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

runcible wrote:
sunny wrote: Oh in my opinion, Jason is BY FAR the best SPZ guitarist ever...I hope they keep turning him up so people can actually hear what he gets up to.
An interesting point. Jason plays the best noise wah-wah that I have ever heard - it's his signature. But at many gigs I've noticed that it's too embedded in the mix - it used to roar out like an air raid siren and it rippled all over the place, but I don't ever think his guitar is mixed loud enough and hasn't been for a while. That intense screech as he squelched his pedal was absolutely mind-blowing and I wish he'd use it more....
I suspect it's his choice to bury himself in the mix, but of course I can't be sure. Personally I think it's a real shame. I find what he plays extremely inspired and unique. I wish he'd let it show more... most people need to be knocked over the head with something in order to see (or hear) it. Subtlety in a live environment easily just results in a loss of information and people just not getting it. I think Jason is one of the few good British guitarist of his generation, but his playing doesn't always get the attention it deserves because it isn't melodically obvious or 'gimmicky' enough.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Jason kicked off Amazing Grace last night, and when he hit the strings the rising chord sounded like a plane taking off :D

I really hope his guitar is mixed to the forefront more often - you could really tell how Jason and Doggen were playing off each other and responding to one another's contributions. :D
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Doggen was amazing. I tended to look at what he was doing more than Jase. Yep, it seemed Spaceman's geetar was pushed a little back . However, 'tennis style' [orbital] neckwork showed just ow good they bounce. yet unicycle.

FAQ Estonia resound in ma dimunative dial dogs diving damascus
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
tied up
Known user

Post by tied up »

BzaInSpace wrote:
it did sound like the whole band was being filtered at points during 'take me to the other side'. i'm still pretty gobsmacked to be honest, that's definitely the best i've seen them play. the first time my missus saw spiritualized was the acoustic mainlines gig at the queen's hall in edinburgh. she cried all through it and kept saying "it's so beautiful". she said last night was like staring into hell. i thought the three songs at the end were like staring into the cosmos minutes after the big bang. utterly spellbinding.

just one irritation, the arsehole that launched a drink and soaked all the people i was standing with. it's not the fratelli's you're at son, fucking grow up.
The Other Jason
Known user

Anyone get this gig recorded? I would love to hear it all again!

Jason
Tufty
Known user

Post by Tufty »

Here you go Jason....

http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

but shh!...don't tell anyone ; )

Massive thanks to gottafire for his fabulous site!
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

Major major thanks for that! :D :D :D
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Thanks so much! :D
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

Thanks Tufty....that"ll do nicely :D
tied up
Known user

Post by tied up »

genius. thank you so much for this.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

...brings it all flooding back! Thanks a million! 8) :D
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

Tufty, once again for providing me with a recording of a classic concert that I've been to (Edinburgh & Glasgow Acoustic Mainlines, Arcade Fire x 2 amongst others), you are a legend. Thank you so much! :mrgreen:
The Other Jason
Known user

Tufty wrote:Here you go Jason....

but shh!...don't tell anyone ; )

Massive thanks to gottafire for his fabulous site!
Why thank-you Tufty!!

All i need to do now is get into the same frame of mind as last Wednesday before listening!! (could be expensive!!)

Looking forward to hearing the crowd reaction too, the shouts for Doggen were classic moments!

Thanks Again Mate!

Jason
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

:D :D

Tufty (Wee Bobby?) - a million thanks! I'll add my appreciation in here too - not only is the quality - as always - excellent, but big cheers for leaving in the crowd build up (and encore!) & phase tone...a track split that works for 'You Lie You Cheat'/'Shine A Light' and just really for all the effort in getting this recorded and putting this out there...CHEERS!!!

(Also, some great half heard crowd conversation at the beginning, Orbital, is that you talking about the Sugababes??? :lol: )

Live album of the year? Certainly, nearly two weeks later, i'm still floating in space. AMAZING!
O P 8
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

amazing recording thanks alot Tufty! You are a legend. Alot of hard works gone into it!

TMTTOS is pure genius. Since the last bootleg posted on here its had amazing dubby echos on the guitar lines and that solo half way through. is it Jason or Doggen? its gets more deranged everytime. Thanks again man. its a wicked bootleg
lionboy
Known user

Post by lionboy »

Holy crap! - What a fantastic collection of bootlegs all gathered together on your site!! Looks like I'll be well over my ISP's monthly allowance this month but who cares... Have been to a few of the fantastic 91-92 gigs there and thought that they'd remain as mere memories forever. Much respect and thanks dude.
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

yes as you're probably all aware now Tea With Tufty is coming to an end at the end of the month but Tufty has now joined me on my blog so should be even better. We'll now call it OUR blog :lol:

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

simonkeeping wrote:
TMTTOS is pure genius. Since the last bootleg posted on here its had amazing dubby echos on the guitar lines and that solo half way through. is it Jason or Doggen? its gets more deranged everytime. Thanks again man. its a wicked bootleg
Listened to this show through the week (thanks again!) and the recording of Take Me To The Other Side is indeed fantastic! Simon, that mad solo half way through was Jason - you can hear the whole sound just going WHHHHOOOOOMMMFF - like a massive filter or something. Unreal....i'd forgotten about the weird delays and stuff kicking off as well. Monumental-ism 8)
BzaInSpace wrote: - the last sequence was totally crazy - some of the guitar work at the end from Spaceman was just mindblowing - at one point it looked like his pedal was working the volume of the entire band... :shock:
That bit!!!

Cheers
O P 8
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Listened to this show through the week (thanks again!) and the recording of Take Me To The Other Side is indeed fantastic! Simon, that mad solo half way through was Jason - you can hear the whole sound just going WHHHHOOOOOMMMFF - like a massive filter or something. Unreal....i'd forgotten about the weird delays and stuff kicking off as well. Monumental-ism
Electric Mainline is right!
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

argh! can't find tufty's blog thread. (yes i'm sure i could've searched better)
the link to the flac's part 2 of this gig is broken - sends to a different dl on megaupload instead.

edit: all fixed now, thanks!