US postal service

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Laz69
Known user

US postal service

Post by Laz69 »

I know we've had discussions on here about the ridiculous cost of shipping things across the Atlantic but i was wondering what the internal US postal service is like.

I'll be stateside in September on holiday and i was thinking about maybe picking up a couple of records when over to save on shipping and to then just bring them home with me. If i ordered anything online, whats the kinda delivery times across country? The UK is such a smaller place and prompt dispatch can have things at your door in just a day or too, but we're obviously a lot smaller in comparison to the US.

Anyone give me any ideas on how long delivery takes typically in the US?

Ta
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: US postal service

Post by spzretent »

If you are buying and shipping music there is a service called Media Mail which is much cheaper that Priority Mail. Any non media parcel over 13 ounces has to ship Priority Mail.
The downside of Media Mail is it is much slower. As long as you are not shipping anything in November to December allow 1 week for Media Mail. Priority Mail is 1 to 3 days.
Tracking is included in the price for both services.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Toying with the idea of placing the order just before i arrive stateside so it arrives early on in our holiday just to be on the safe(r) side...

Is the media mail quite a common option used by online retailers? Or is it something that i would have to arrange with them up front?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

It would be cool to buy a Postal Service record that was delivered by the USPS ... and cheaper than buying a Death Cab For Cutie record couriered by a licensed Hackney Carriage!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Laz69 wrote:Toying with the idea of placing the order just before i arrive stateside so it arrives early on in our holiday just to be on the safe(r) side...

Is the media mail quite a common option used by online retailers? Or is it something that i would have to arrange with them up front?
Generally, I DO use Media Mail within the Continental USA. How far away the item is & The Season
does affect how I order, especially from Large Companies or someone "new" to me - I am cautious.

However, without even asking (or paying extra for it), I find most of what I buy is sent Priority. The reasoning is not always clear; but that is what I have observed. My remote home may be part of it.
Since it is summer, and the temperatures can be damaging to vinyl, I notice that maybe 90% of the recordings I have received are automatically sent Priority; but most places will let you pick whatever method you want.
If where you buy is within just a few hundred miles away, there may be only 1-2 days difference (if that much) between Priority and Media; the downside to Media Mail is that you really never know HOW LONG it will take. If it is something really special, I would opt for Priority Mail this time of year; but since I live in a remote area, and the idea of an "extra" day or two can be troubling if the Temperatures reach 100 degrees for an extended time, I usually opt for Priority Mail unless I know the recording is a very heavy pressing that has been well packaged; the "Silver Apples" LP I recently obtained was not sent by a special method; it was only a few hundred miles away, and the fellow who I bought it from is very careful how he packages recordings.
Most of the "Obscure singles" I have purchased lately WERE sent by Priority; they were simply not replaceable.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Weight plays a big part. If you are shipping only 1-2 valuable records, then US Priority is a good choice. It may cost a few more dollars, closer to $6 US, but includes $50 worth of insurance and is faster, usually 2-4 days, even across the 3,000 mile width of the country.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

davedecay wrote:Weight plays a big part. If you are shipping only 1-2 valuable records, then US Priority is a good choice. It may cost a few more dollars, closer to $6 US, but includes $50 worth of insurance and is faster, usually 2-4 days, even across the 3,000 mile width of the country.
That's cool... i think i'd err on prompt rather than cheap as i don't want these to not arrive in the smallish window i'm there.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

you have to watch out because it gets pricey by weight and distance with Priority. For instance E Coast to W Coast or vice versa gets expensive. Dave is correct. If it is a valuable record ship Priority mainly for the insurance. I am pretty sure is it $100 insurance with Priority.
I ship 50+ LP's a month. In the US I use Media Mail and in the last 5 years or more I have had one issue. A postman tried to fold a sturdy cardboard LP mailer in half to fit in a mailbox. You cant fix stupid!
Again, if the LP is rare or expensive get a quote for Priority. Other wise it should be $5 or less for Media Mail unless there are multiple LPs shipped together.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

spzretent wrote:you have to watch out because it gets pricey by weight and distance with Priority. For instance E Coast to W Coast or vice versa gets expensive. Dave is correct. If it is a valuable record ship Priority mainly for the insurance. I am pretty sure is it $100 insurance with Priority.
I ship 50+ LP's a month. In the US I use Media Mail and in the last 5 years or more I have had one issue. A postman tried to fold a sturdy cardboard LP mailer in half to fit in a mailbox. Again, if the LP is rare or expensive get a quote for Priority. Other wise it should be $5 or less for Media Mail unless there are multiple LPs shipped together.

Late last year, I received the 2nd 7" single ever mailed to me in an Envelope! It was once again just a common, current release, & easily replaced. Can't fix stupid is right! I don't mail recordings very much or very often - certainly nothing like spzretent; I offer up only what my experiences are; "certain people" Package recordings very VERY WELL! And that alone can help in this time of the year.

I think we have a very good Postal system in the USA, generally.

Below is the GIANT POSTAL FACILITY just a half hour or so drive from my usual Giant Postal Facility, with very nice people; when the Air Conditioning went down (where I get my mail); the Local Postmaster took people's Medicines and other things fragile, (including a few recordings), to this Post Office, and anyone involved received a phone call so they would know where their items were. (I took this photo a couple of years ago; when Shipping Rates were rising (again) - I thought it would be useful sometime). MORE than enough parking.
Attachments
GIANT POSTAL FACILITY only half an hour away or so from my usual USPS 50
GIANT POSTAL FACILITY only half an hour away or so from my usual USPS 50
zzzGIANT POSTAL FACILITY only half an hour away or so from my usual USPS 50.jpg (134.97 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus