Social Media

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

Social Media

Post by spzretent »

I am about to say goodbye to a friend of mine. He was diagnosed with melanoma, fought it, beat it, only for it to come back with a vengeance. I have had beers with him and gone to baseball games as recently as this past summer. I had no idea how bad things got until last Sunday when his daughter posted a photo of a hastily arranged triple birthday party. Moved up so those could celebrate with their son, brother, father and grandfather. I have seen this before very recently.
A Facebook page was started to keep us updated on his fight and in the last week there must be at least 50 posts(or more) telling this guy how much he has enriched all of our lives. His daughters are reading him the posts each day. This makes me feel good in that he is able to know what a difference he has made in so many lives. One of the new uses for social media I suppose.
He is also a Spiritualized fan.
I just needed to get that off my chest.
Thanks.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Social Media

Post by semisynthetic »

I am very sorry to hear such sad news; to lose someone you care about and has enriched yours and so many lives.
It is always so damn hard to know you are saying goodbye to someone irreplaceably extra special and you can do nothing. Everytime it happens it is never easier. When I lost my Grandfather 29 years ago, August; I was heartbroken; but the church was overflowing with people who he had somehow touched and that took a very little pain away and allowed me some peace.

I am truly sorry, spzretent. There is such a flood of emotion and memories within you; I wish I could help.
I do.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

So sorry to hear that, it's hard to see these things online so often as it does seem to be very common now. I suppose, like you say, the ability to share on Facebook and social media makes it easier to keep up on this kind of horror. My dad had been fighting cancer the past year and a half, though his first scans since the all-clear have been fine so we're hoping to move on from it now. As in your case, there's always the worry it will return.

Strength to you and yours, keep the memories alive.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

While I know this is sad it is also uplifting in a way that thru social media my friend has heard the many messages of love and thanks as his daughters keep reading them to him.
Yesterday a playlist was started as well. I am sure that brings comfort to all those intimately involved as well as those who posted.
I just realized he hand picked the people involved in this FB page.
Update:
He passed away early this morning. I wish him peace.
To Kevin:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

You have my sympathy, thoughts to you and yours.
Keep a tight grip on those great memories that you shared with Kevin, they will stand you in good stead
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Much sympathy to you and everyone else your friend knew and loved, spzretent.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

So sorry our thoughts are with you.
'Remember, change is not good'