Big City Remix 12"

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

jadams501
Known user

Big City Remix 12"

Post by jadams501 »

Wikipedia lists there being a remix 12" of Big City, including a B-Side of Drive, which I had not heard of before:

Remix 12" (BLAZE 41TR)

No. Title Length
1. "Big City (Remix)" (Kember) 8:35
2. "Drive (Remix)" (Pierce) 6:51

Has anyone heard this? Have the versions been released elsewhere?

If anyone has this I'd love to hear it! Been digging both of these songs lately.
sm-iom
Known user

Re: Big City Remix 12"

Post by sm-iom »

Have got in vinyl form - signed by Sonic (Chain with No Name did lots like this) - record code Blaze 41TR (Fire Records). Came out just before Recurring, and thought it was the "normal" 12" (Wiki now tells me otherwise) - officially a double A-sider. Notes on back say "remixed at battery studios with anjali dutt".

No way to transfer to digital, sorry..., and with needle on record player in need of replacement no easy way to say how different the mixes are.

sm-iom
marmalade
Known user

Post by marmalade »

aye, i have this and like the above post i thought it was the normal 12" release. My records are 650 miles away tho...

I worked at a 'chain with no name' record shop back then, wish i'd grabbed more of the goodies that were available
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

marmalade wrote:....I worked at a 'chain with no name' record shop back then...
Wish I'd got paid for all the time I spent in one (Coventry)...

sm-iom
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

sm-iom wrote:Have got in vinyl form - signed by Sonic (Chain with No Name did lots like this) - record code Blaze 41TR (Fire Records). Came out just before Recurring, and thought it was the "normal" 12" (Wiki now tells me otherwise) - officially a double A-sider. Notes on back say "remixed at battery studios with anjali dutt".

No way to transfer to digital, sorry..., and with needle on record player in need of replacement no easy way to say how different the mixes are.

sm-iom
Hmm, based on your info I think I might already have this. I've got a folder called "Recurring Sessions" that includes three tracks listed as "remixed by Anjali Dutt at Battery Studios" -- Big City, Drive, and I Love You. I'm curious where the version of I Love You comes from. If anyone wants these, let me know.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

i have the regular 12'' of Big City, not the remix.

here's the Discogs entry:
http://www.discogs.com/Spacemen-3-Big-C ... ase/442481
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

There was another 12" - 50 copies only on white label also with Fire 41TR as the cat number, Big City (remix) on one side and I Love You (remix) on the reverse (I paid about £50 for this about 10 years ago from Intoxica). I think it's The I Love You remix from the white label that appeared on the DJ Tones release.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It is indeed just a remix of both tracks - Big City is more interesting that the one of Drive which is pretty pointless as far as I'm concerned. It's not worth a great deal as it was pressed in decent enough quantities.

On the other hand if you have the 12" in a plain sleeve with a remix of 'I Love You' instead of 'Drive' you are very lucky as only 50 of these were pressed (http://www.discogs.com/Spacemen-3-Big-C ... se/1932341). Worth anything up to £300. And the remix of I Love You - which appears on the Great Pop Supplement 12" DJ Tones - is spectacular.
norrin radd
Known user

Post by norrin radd »

you mean this one ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGT05YgtuQE

(ignore that it says erol alkan mix, he just put it on the end of one of his compilations)

(p.s. and yes, that is loop on the picture )

this is from the 12" with the purple and green cover, the best version of big city for me, what an e.p. !

here's the i love you remix too that Runcible was on about (from dj tones)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l26xkdQodu4
tarzan_undies
Known user

Post by tarzan_undies »

Hi
I've got the CD sinlge BLAZE 41CD. Track listing:
1. Big City (everybody I know can be found here)
2. Drive
3. Big City (waves of joy) demo
4. Drive (demo)
Is it a rarity/ worth much? not that I'd sell it but it's always nice to know.
Cheers
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Not worth much I'm afraid and rather easy to pick up. Worth having though!