Spacemen 3 t-shirts,

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

niamhm
Known user

Spacemen 3 t-shirts,

Post by niamhm »

somebody seems to be running of tee`s ,don`t know what to make of them ,Spirals,Logo & Playing With Fire in various colours,no pics. just graphic,any thoughts?

http://www.redbubble.com/people/ixrid/w ... rce=google

Just add ,If you put Spacemen 3 in the search box their doing 6 different Spacemen tee`s and an EAR one!
spacemanrich
Known user

Re: Spacemen 3 t-shirts,

Post by spacemanrich »

Their okay, it seems like a Spaceman fan who just wants to make a few quid. No different than some of the vendors selling SP3 shirts on eBay.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

bit of an opportunity missed I reckon. Real shortage of S3 TShirts available. Nice to see multiple colouts avaibale rather than ubiquitous Black, but the recurring one is a horror show. Could do better, but still likely to buy at least one!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

KingHarry wrote:bit of an opportunity missed I reckon. Real shortage of S3 TShirts available. Nice to see multiple colouts avaibale rather than ubiquitous Black, but the recurring one is a horror show. Could do better, but still likely to buy at least one!

think so ? a didnae think it was to bad ,
Drussell622+
Known user

Post by Drussell622+ »

Hello, I have been searching for any of the Spacemen 3 shirts that were sold recently at Spectrum shows I beleive? Silver font on a high quality thin shirt. I need a medium any color will do. The shirt is seen in the middle by Spectrum band member here

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6298_n.jpg

I am also looking for vintage Spacemen 3 shirts in a medium. Please help reply here or PM me.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I have a lovely gold version of that one. Can't recall where i got it from tho... eBay maybe.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Drussell622+ wrote:I am also looking for vintage Spacemen 3 shirts in a medium. Please help reply here or PM me.
Those go for crazy money. One battered example which had the sleeves cut off sold for a lot of money last year. I had 2 of the white version which turned into tents as the fabric used was poor quality, so I chucked them out about 20 years ago. Wish I'd kept the buggers now.
Drussell622+
Known user

Post by Drussell622+ »

I know they seem to be very overpriced online that guy who wanted 800 for a recurring shirt is crazy
Last edited by Drussell622+ on Tue May 08, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drussell622+
Known user

Post by Drussell622+ »

I'll settle for the higher quality newer shirts that I've been told have been sold at Spectrum shows before. If anyone has the newer gold or silver print shirts printed on the higher quality shirts let me know. I am also looking for any vintage spiritualized shirts or spectrum shirts. I will pay a fair price.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

'm toying with picking up that EAR shirt... i think they actually look quite good... and i don't think £20 is too obscene a price to pay for a decent band's t-shirt...

Now if anyone can just direct me to where a t-shirt with the first Carlton Melton album cover on it... :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Drussell622+ wrote:Hello, I have been searching for any of the Spacemen 3 shirts that were sold recently at Spectrum shows I beleive? Silver font on a high quality thin shirt. I need a medium any color will do. The shirt is seen in the middle by Spectrum band member here

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6298_n.jpg

I am also looking for vintage Spacemen 3 shirts in a medium. Please help reply here or PM me.
I'd love a T shirt like that one too. surely if Pete K made some to sell on the web he'd make a killing??
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

nice new tshirt on that site. Best of the bunch so far - http://www.redbubble.com/people/mrspace ... n-3-spiral
bodyguard1
New user

Post by bodyguard1 »

what other colours you got phil
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Ebay tshirt just gone for £200.

This is madness surely?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121026392579? ... 1423.l2649
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Total Madness. It looks well worn not even worth 5 quid.

You can create your own t-shirt for like 10-15 quid. They have t-shirt websites that let you do that, however, you have to have some sort of Illustration software i.e. - Illustrator, CorelDraw, etc to do it. The Spacemen font is easy to find and you got to have some creativity in creating one...
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Just bought my two-month-old a Recurring T-Shirt from redbubble.com
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Wow they've got some great looking baby outfits on there. Bit pricey though...nearly £20 including p&p though I think I may just have to grab that other Spacemen 3 t for my little Dylan 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Oh, and Natty, let me know what the t-shirt is like when you get it. I'm going to let you be the guinea pig here and wait to see what you think of them before I dive in. Got my eye on the 13th Floor Elevators and New Order "Movement" t's along with the aforementioned Spacemen 3 one.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

The print isn't as bright as the sleeve of the record and could perhaps be sharper, but its decent enough, has survived a couple of washes without deteriorating any. To be honest it was worth it just for the smiles seeing my baby daughter wearing it has given me :-)
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

They come up very small though. My baby had grown out of it by 3 months and it was supposed to be for 3-6 months. She's not that big either.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Spacemen 3 first came into my radar at the time of 'Big City', and I remember there was the SPacemail address for the fanvlub at PO Box 8, Corby (I imagine this was directed to Gerald). At the time, I remember getting an order form back again with the short and long sleeved versions of the 'Recurring' shirt on it, along with the 'Playing With Fire' and 'For All The F***** Up... shirts as well. THese were, if my memory serves me right, sold as manufactured by Popworld / Rox. I'd love to think that there may still be a box of unsold shirts lying somewhere in a NOrthamptonshire/Warwickshire warehouse that may see the light of day......

Further to this, from reading the Erik MOrse book, it talks a fair bit of Spacemen 3 T shirt sales on their various tours, so it'd be interesting to see what some of these early T-shirt images were.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Dreamweapon wrote:Further to this, from reading the Erik MOrse book, it talks a fair bit of Spacemen 3 T shirt sales on their various tours, so it'd be interesting to see what some of these early T-shirt images were.
The people who did The Outer Limits reissued cassettes of the original demos which came as a package with the early needle logo shirt. I have a couple of those somewhere, printed on light blue. Just found one:
WP_20150309_11_17_52_Pro.jpg
WP_20150309_11_17_52_Pro.jpg (60.18 KiB) Viewed 23946 times
I also heard from Pete K that when the Spacemen first toured Europe - to their astonishment - a lot of the audience were wearing Sp3 shirts, even though none had been produced. The audience had made their own which obviously pleased the band quite a bit.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Don't think I could ever buy any of the 'For All The F***** Up.. shirts. (I also know that there are some reprints of these in a variety of colours, with the Spacemen 3 triangle on the front). I'd just be really concerned about offending anyone! Maybe I'm a wuss, but just wouldn't feel comfortable!

I really wanted one of the long sleeve 'Recurring' ones, and wished I 'd ordered one at the time. It had S3 running all down the sleeve, with a huge S3 logo in the centre of the shirt, with Natty's sweet tooth design running through the S3.

At the same time, when I wrote off to the PO Box 8 address, I also had order forms for the original orange and blue Spz LGM angel/devil long and short sleeve shirts.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

here's the one I done by hand in college, mid-80s.

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Dreamweapon wrote:Don't think I could ever buy any of the 'For All The F***** Up.. shirts. (I also know that there are some reprints of these in a variety of colours, with the Spacemen 3 triangle on the front). I'd just be really concerned about offending anyone! Maybe I'm a wuss, but just wouldn't feel comfortable!

I really wanted one of the long sleeve 'Recurring' ones, and wished I 'd ordered one at the time. It had S3 running all down the sleeve, with a huge S3 logo in the centre of the shirt, with Natty's sweet tooth design running through the S3.

At the same time, when I wrote off to the PO Box 8 address, I also had order forms for the original orange and blue Spz LGM angel/devil long and short sleeve shirts.
I totally understand not wanting to offend anyone. I wont wear a shirt with the word fuck on it. Sometimes I will to a show but that is it.
I had an official Recurring shirt, PWF shirt, I have the one Runcible posted. Spiritualized I have way too many. 10-12 probably.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Wish PK would do another run of the original "For All The Fucked Up..." Shirts.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Dreamweapon wrote:Don't think I could ever buy any of the 'For All The F***** Up.. shirts. (I also know that there are some reprints of these in a variety of colours, with the Spacemen 3 triangle on the front). I'd just be really concerned about offending anyone! Maybe I'm a wuss, but just wouldn't feel comfortable!

The one I had back in the day "S3" all down the arm but just a square "sweet tooth" picture on the front with "Spacemen 3" above it IIRC.

Like this one, but long sleeved, basically:

Got too many blim burns in it and it went in the bin eventually I'm afraid to say.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

natty wrote:

The one I had back in the day "S3" all down the arm but just a square "sweet tooth" picture on the front with "Spacemen 3" above it IIRC.

Like this one, but long sleeved, basically:

Got too many blim burns in it and it went in the bin eventually I'm afraid to say.
I swear I had the same long-sleeve, S3 down the arms, would have been ~ 1991. What's more, that being the era and 'baggy' being the scene, I'm pretty convined mine had a hood?!
In truth, not their best.

I did my lad a DIY one with PK half face from the flexi single. Pretty tasteful.
Jsound_18
New user

Post by Jsound_18 »

Original 1991 Spacemen 3 long-sleeve Recurring shirt.
Attachments
IMG_E0452.JPG
IMG_E0452.JPG (297.3 KiB) Viewed 19157 times
Last edited by Jsound_18 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Not Spacemen 3, but reading this resurrected thread reminded me I saw Randall Nieman recently reposting a PK Facebook post (I somehow managed to miss the original, despite both the friends thing + following "Spectrum") advertising 2 new Spectrum t-shirts.

They were both nice, plus slightly different to the white Spectrum shirt I bought a few years ago, via Randall - from a bloke called Tom, in an industrialised northern State to the best of my recollection (I think I'm FB friends with Tom, if folks who know my account want to check I got that right).

I'd love to add another 2 nice Spectrum shirts, to the drawer where I keep all the t-shirts I'm scared of spoiling - but the price with shipping is too much for my current constrained financial circumstances.

Thought it worth mentioning, in case other folks also missed this. Hopefully if enough people can show support, there might be another round of official merch (including proper Spacemen 3 shirts) plus more Spectrum gigs, and maybe even another record to follow up the amazing Indian Giver and War Sucks EP?!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

See the following article:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... in-beatles

"On Etsy, the online marketplace, you can find obscure items commanding hefty price tags, such as a 1993 T-shirt dedicated to English psychedelic distortionists Spacemen 3, available to surviving members of their cult following for £599."

Obviously 1993 is wrong, but good to see Spacemen 3 in The Guardian!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

It is cool to see The Guardian including Spacemen 3 relatively prominently, alongside names like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin! It's nice they chose the interesting t-shirt angle, over more obvious subjects like hipster-driven hyper inflation in the vintage vinyl market.

Sadly the decreasing sustainability of quality print media seems to have disproportionately impacted substantive reporting of the arts in general, and quality niche music in particular.

Whilst the internet has increased the overall volume of music journalism, even the biggest sites like Pitchfork suffer through editorial inconsistency and variable writing quality. The NME I grew up with was far from perfect, yet there was a coherence and predictability in their coverage - to which the reader became attuned.

It was bad enough back in the day to see Melody Maker fold, whilst generic lads' mags thrived and a select few retro "indie" acts prospered. Now we're just left with monthlies repeating the same revolving cast of classic rock stars, visibly aging in successive cover photos. I guess their main market is similarly aging, to the point where memories are diminished enough to permit endless recycling of the same old stories!

To be fair, I wouldn't be particularly surprised to find Spacemen 3 mentioned online under The Telegraph's masthead - where wannabe hacks contrive to insert relatively obscure cultural references, in a bid to drive enough traffic from casual Googlers to attract sufficient page views in pursuit of the rare and valuable opportunity to progress from aspiring intern to junior staff writer - regardless of any distinguishable journalistic merit :roll:

I feel embarrassingly old in contrasting how and why I've gone from stashing away my prized band merch - originally to save from the heady excessive risks from hot rocks and other narcotic detritus, now safely shielded from domestic dangers posed by choosing the wrong washing machine cycle, or the perils inherent in allowing dispassionate partners to casually iron without adherence to the rigours of due care and special attention!

Now I'm reduced to a clichéd middle aged stereotype, remembering how good things were back in the day ... jesus, that's depressing :oops: At least I've now had my most pressing concerns validated: on the hilarious cookdandbombd forum, I finally found a kindred spirit to concur with myself and Larry David that simply shaving one's head is merely a lifestyle choice, whilst "bald asshole" IS a hate crime :idea:
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Someone mentioned they wanted an ' original SP3 ' t-shirt just a few posts earlier. Good luck with that. I mean if you do find one it will probably be in tatters. I can't really think that their is a new one out there and if so, you better open your wallet. I just make mine on one of those design websites where you can have a coffee mug, t-shirt, tote bag w/ your cat on the front. For example: zazzle.com
Jsound_18
New user

Post by Jsound_18 »

That few posts ago was mine - regarding wanting to purchase a Spacemen 3 original shirt. I understand that the price for one is high, but I'm still interested in one.
Last edited by Jsound_18 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jsound_18
New user

Post by Jsound_18 »

Here's a pic of the Spacemen 3 shirt from 1989 that I'd be willing to trade for another S3 shirt.
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (502.79 KiB) Viewed 19055 times
Last edited by Jsound_18 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Didn't some folks here report that those nice white shirts PK did a run of a few years ago (around the time of his epic Benny's Trip remix for Magnétophone + playing some gigs alongside Matt & John) were occasionally selling for silly money on eBay?

I vaguely recall the observation that the highest prices were coincidentally achieved by auctions that finished in the wee small hours of Sunday mornings, which might explain something.

As I recall that was a low volume run, maybe rarer than some original Spacemen 3 shirts?

I managed to get it in a suitable size (PK pointed out he easily fitted a larger than normal "medium") but I stupidly declined his offer to sell me another from the test run, which had the rear printed on the front - similar or the same as the Spacemen shirt Jason wears on one of their record covers, d'oh!
Dave Chappelle
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

These two I made into a t-shirt. Made a Recurring one, but haven't done anything with it.
Attachments
sample_spectrum.jpg
sample_spectrum.jpg (415 KiB) Viewed 19043 times
SPZ-resized.jpg
SPZ-resized.jpg (54.84 KiB) Viewed 19045 times
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I quite fancy the Recurring cover too, though I guess it could be quite bright! I'm only able to look on my phone right now, but those images look cool - especially the spaceman photo (hope you don't mind I've downloaded it). How well did that transfer as a print on to t-shirt?

I've thought about several album sleeves I'd like on t-shirts, that I've never found available commercially and/or done the way I'd like. Whilst I've been told a simple black and white image like Beatles' Revolver should come out as expected, I've also heard that full colour large photos can be trickier to print both well and in a way that withstands washing machine cycles.

I've avoided buying non official band shirts, after a couple I bought from eBay started flaking after a few washes - including what was originally a very nice simple silver large Spacemen 3 logo on deep blue.

I've heard varying reports from folks who've had shirts custom printed, including advice from the printing places themselves that they can't guarantee how well complex images like colour photographs will turn out, without literally just testing it!
Dave Chappelle
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Both of them turned out really well, including the Spaceman in spacesuit sleeping. Surprisingly, I havevn't worn the Spectrum t-shirt that often. I am more t-shirts than a reasonable bloke wears. Don't talk about my Adidas trainers. I have more than 20+ pairs. :?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

this site has a couple of Spacemen 3 designs. they are made to order so it's still kind of a 'just print a design onto a t shirt' deal, but I ordered a Television one recently and it came out well and is a nice fit oo

https://nightchannels.com/search?q=spacemen+3
Jsound_18
New user

Post by Jsound_18 »

Original 1989 Spacemen 3 shirt. Does anyone have this in black?

Cheers
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (502.79 KiB) Viewed 18472 times
Last edited by Jsound_18 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Got one of these a while back, its a quality t shirt .https://donttalktomeaboutheroes.com/sea ... Spacemen+3
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Made these two myself ( very wrinkled ):
Attachments
SP3Group.jpg
SP3Group.jpg (198.7 KiB) Viewed 18426 times
Dreamweapon.jpg
Dreamweapon.jpg (194.18 KiB) Viewed 18426 times
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

^ They look really nice! Interesting designs too, compared with various unofficial Spacemen 3 (and related) shirts I've seen over the years (mostly on eBay).

A long while ago I bought a really nice looking deep blue shirt, with thick silver Spacemen 3 logo there. Sadly the print began to flake after one gentle 30° trip around the washing machine - though it remained a nice heavy cotton t-shirt, with the original blue holding up like a professionally produced product.

I also bought an uber cheap LAGWAFIS sleeve print on white, from a different vendor. It was very thin material which literally fell apart at the seams, with the print following suit - I realised the folly of such false economies (I wasn't too bothered then; notably better financial circumstances already let me buy all official merch of the era including thimble-capacity mini-mug, plus duplicates of my favourite shirt designs).

I understand even commercial silver prints can be unreliable, including reports shared here regarding Acoustic Mainlines merchandise using gold or silver - with conventional colour versions of an otherwise similar design not suffering, as per the usual high quality of typical official Spiritualized t-shirts over the years.

How long have you had them, plus how well have they fared during any repeated washing and ironing cycles?
Dave Chappelle
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Recurring leggings in a choice of sizes
https://www.etsy.com/listing/198113157/ ... llery-1-26
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Those leggings are epic :D
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Crickey !

I'm sure they are flying off the shelves as we speak. Notify Pete, let's make sure he gets a cut out of the royalties on those ...
Jsound_18
New user

Post by Jsound_18 »

Does anyone own this shirt? I'd pay a ridiculous amount to buy one. Please let me know.

Cheers
Attachments
20.jpg
20.jpg (97.95 KiB) Viewed 16037 times