John Peel shows on Soundcloud

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Starfish
Known user

John Peel shows on Soundcloud

Post by Starfish »

John Peel's Radio 1 shows from 1967 - 2004 are available on Soundcloud.

There are 457 shows in all, but obviously that is not all of them.

And, sadly, nothing from 1984-86, which means the show in which he faded out Rollercoaster three times to play other records is not there. Maybe it will turn up one day.

Apart from that, it's amazing.

http://soundcloud.com/das-boy/sets/john-peel-show
plastic37
Known user

Re: John Peel shows on Soundcloud

Post by plastic37 »

I've only listened to a few so far but every one kicks BBC6 music well into touch - day time as well as evening
I'm sure we've all got Peel tapes with just the sessions but on these recordings you get the whole picture - the arc if you like, of the shows. So, the first one i went for includes The Telescopes session. I recorded that at the time but just The Telescopes tracks. At the time i probably didn't appreciate some of the other stuff but its all quality.

It proves to me how little twitter/email has actually really added to the radio listening experience and that's speaking as someone who has had a number of texts read out on BBC6.
Heavy Tourism
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

This looks tremendous. When I was a kid the only thing you could get on FM in Dublin was crappy pirate radio or BBC1 with iffy reception. Peel and a bit later, Janice Long, were very, very important to me. I spent 1975-1977 wondering what the hell the music (and most other things) was about. From 1978 onwards I began to get it, as much as there was ever an "it" to get with Peel. I sill miss Peel, and his Radio 4 show on Sundays in particular. This resource wil be a perfect replacement for BBC6.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

that links not working for me - do you think they've been taken down?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

yep, it's gone. oh well.

Must have taken ages to upload. One click to remove.