reissue review

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

clewsr
Known user

reissue review

Post by clewsr »

http://www.adequacy.net/2013/07/spaceme ... -reissues/

'increasingly irrelevant' ! bah. Now thats a pithy comment
heisenberg
Known user

Re: reissue review

Post by heisenberg »

The piece seems to be a little anti-Jason for the sake of looking cool, I'd say.
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

Yeah, that was a bit harsh - although everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Saying that, he clearly isn't a fan of the first album and puts the Performance repress above the other two - interesting considering both Pete and Jason acknowledge they were lashed on skunk for that 'performance' and didn't rate it at all. There are much better boots of Sp3 playing live.

Still, nice to know they have been re-pressed - but what would be infinitely more useful is knowing if the vinyl copies ARE actually better in one way or another, with a side-by-side listen and comment. I'd appreciate that because that would tempt me to actually make a purchase (or not) - Has anyone compared them to what's out there already? I flogged my Fire LP of Sound of Confusion in a moment of extreme poverty... I wouldn't mind picking up another copy.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I've given up buying Fire reissues. Firstly I feel it's morally wrong as Fire have taken the piss for so long by reissuing this stuff, but also because I bet no proper royalties are paid.

Enough is enough. This is music that should be released from the Spacemen camp, so through Spaceage or whoever. At least the right people get the money that way and you know it will be done properly - sound-wise and packaging-wise - by people who care about the music rather than the sales.

Pete's feelings on this were well documented in his Optical Sounds interview. And I agree with him.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

done properly - sound-wise and packaging-wise
Do you have the Playing With Fire double lp?
I think you need to have a closer look. It surely is a text book example of how a reissue lp sleeve should not look. Like a "spot the number of differences" game.
Accuracy - i think not.

As for the audio quality - i can't really comment.
But the track selection - the "alt" version/mix/demo tag. I remember being distinctly underwhelmed. Does anyone rate those cuts as superior or adding anything to that which is on the album proper?
Of course i realize that this has probably been done to death elsewhere but i felt compelled to mildly challenge the assertion that Spaceage are paragons.
Heavy Tourism
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

plastic37 wrote:Do you have the Playing With Fire double lp?
I think you need to have a closer look. It surely is a text book example of how a reissue lp sleeve should not look. Like a "spot the number of differences" game.
Accuracy - i think not.

As for the audio quality - i can't really comment.
But the track selection - the "alt" version/mix/demo tag. I remember being distinctly underwhelmed. Does anyone rate those cuts as superior or adding anything to that which is on the album proper?
Of course i realize that this has probably been done to death elsewhere but i felt compelled to mildly challenge the assertion that Spaceage are paragons.
More songs were included on the 1st disc in order to get more material on the set as a whole. The idea was to include music that was relevant to the album. And the inclusion of stuff like Girl On Fire and Anyway That You Want Me was essential even if people find the other demos less interesting than the final releases. If it's the lack of a traditional 'side 1' and 'side 2' that is the same as the original album then you have a point. But it meant more music could be included. I disagree on the look - I think it's a nice package.

I thought the sound was decent. No way would Pete sanction an issue if he felt the sound wasn't right. This is a guy who attended every cut for every Spacemen release. No other band members did that. He's a hard task master when it comes to stuff like that so I'll back Spaceage as the right label to release this stuff. Which was my original point.