Live At The New Morning, Geneva, Switzerland, 10.05.1989

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

veiko
Known user

Live At The New Morning, Geneva, Switzerland, 10.05.1989

Post by veiko »

Is there more info about this:
http://www.discogs.com/Spacemen-3-Live- ... se/4838059
link to that labels shop is this http://mentalgroove.bigcartel.com/
but i can't find it there.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Live At The New Morning, Geneva, Switzerland, 10.05.1989

Post by runcible »

Never even heard of that one. Let me know if you find a pile of them!
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I have a bootleg of that show.

The set seems to run:

Rollercoaster
Things'll Never be the Same
Take Me to the Other Side
Starship
Revolution
Suicide (an absolutely phenomenal version)
Bo Diddley Jam
Revolution (2)

It's a good show actually. Sonic seems in good spirits and banters with the audience a bit, the version of "Suicide" goes on for about half an hour and they do a rare encore.
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

I emailed the record label in question a few weeks ago, the dude says it's due out towards the end of the year.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

they played Revolution twice in one set? did the Spacemen often do that?
yangen
Known user

Post by yangen »

That's a great find! It's funny because I have just seen Sonic yesterday night performing with Sinner DC, an electronica/ambient band from Geneva signed on the same label Mental Groove (and that was a great show)

It seems that Sonic gets acquainted in some way with this label and provided them with Spacemen 3 material to be released?
That's indeed a very good show.
Last edited by yangen on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

i recall having read an interview with jason in the 90s speaking about the breakup, where he complained about playing the same song(s) all the time, and not seldom twice (revolution). no idea where this could have been though. so maybe it wasn't that rare? there's that boot from koeln where they play come together twice also. plus they would sometimes continue suicide after having left the stage in the middle... :)
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

and yes, that show is one of my fav sp3 boots. if i am not mistaken, some of that material is already on "live in europe 1989" though??
yangen
Known user

Post by yangen »

bbbhenko wrote:and yes, that show is one of my fav sp3 boots. if i am not mistaken, some of that material is already on "live in europe 1989" though??
You are right, I think at least Starship on Live in Europe 1989 is from Geneva show, but sound quality isn't as good as the version circulating among traders (official release sounds like audience recording and trading version like soundboard), even though the latter seems to have some pitch issue.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:they played Revolution twice in one set? did the Spacemen often do that?
Towards the end, yes. I think Jason is quoted in Erik Morse's book as saying something along the lines of that he didn't feel the band was going in any good place when they started doing Revolution twice a night. Or words to that effect.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

sunray wrote:
angelsighs wrote:they played Revolution twice in one set? did the Spacemen often do that?
Towards the end, yes. I think Jason is quoted in Erik Morse's book as saying something along the lines of that he didn't feel the band was going in any good place when they started doing Revolution twice a night. Or words to that effect.

yep...it's such a shame because Recurring would have been one hell of a tour... :(
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

sunray wrote:
From Erik's book, page 237:

" 'Someone said to me that the last Spacemen gigs always seemed to be building up to the point where we did 'Revolution', and everyone would stage dive,' Jason remembered. 'I think that was the beginning of the end, when we started to do that song twice a night. We had four albums worth of material and we were doing that song twice.' "
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks, that's interesting. strange to play a song twice in a set. I guess Revolution was sort of a mini-hit at the time.

interestingly, I do believe the term 'encore' actually originated from an act having to repeat a section of the performance as the audience wouldn't leave and wanted more. of course, now it's become a planned part of a setlist, with songs actually held back.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Having compared the bootleg of this gig to Live In Europe, I think that the tracks marked (*) are the same as LIE;

Rollercoaster (*)
Things'll Never Be The Same (*)
Take Me To The Other Side
Starship (*)
Revolution (*)
Suicide
Bo Diddley Jam
Revolution

The improved sound quality has got to make this worth getting. Hope it's a nice package!
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
yangen
Known user

Post by yangen »

veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

yangen wrote:That's a great find! It's funny because I have just seen Sonic yesterday night performing with Sinner DC, an electronica/ambient band from Geneva signed on the same label Mental Groove (and that was a great show)

It seems that Sonic gets acquainted in some way with this label and provided them with Spacemen 3 material to be released?
That's indeed a very good show.

Through Sinner DC fb page you can indeed find that there is vinyl coming out collecting remixes by Sonic Boom.
https://www.facebook.com/sinnerdc

I have this 12" that came out years ago: http://www.discogs.com/Sinner-DC-Montage/master/19379
Has a remix by Sonic Boom on it. Very stand-still mix, getting closer the closest that Sonic has done in house music. But then again, i have not listened to it for many years. But surely it was not alienating brainfruit.
I made a self made 2 disc compilation of Sonic Boom remixes back in the days when LAGWAFIS was first played again in Royal Festival Hall. Sent it to some board members. A friend here told me when he played it to some art students they freaked out. Thats how mindbending it was for them.

One more SB remix of Sinner DC can be dl here:
http://www.sinnerdc.com/mp3.html

Through Sinner DC fb page we can see that they picture together test presses of vinyl of that Sonic Boom remix vinyl and Spacemen 3 Geneva gig vinyl.

Must be for real things that will happen.
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

Not much about this title here. I bought the CD a while ago before I knew about Sonic's beef with Space Age/Adasam. It's a pretty crappy package, I must admit -- my CD has a glob of glue on it from the card sleeve.

Sonic says that the CD is an unauthorized release (and it is marked as such on Discogs), mastered from the Mental Groove LP, which I haven't heard. But I don't know: there is no audible LP surface noise on the CD, which would be extremely difficult to avoid, no inner-groove distortion on "Revolution" (which, again, you would expect for an LP this long) that I can hear, and the CD has a mastering credit for John Rivers. Is it possible Space Age just claimed ownership of the original tape and worked from that?

The tracks in common with Live in Europe do sound better here. "Suicide" is glorious.