Sterling Roswell

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

clewsr
Known user

Sterling Roswell

Post by clewsr »

got this from space age. no idea what this might be like, but I think I might check it out.

NEW RELEASE:

STERLING ROSWELL
(A.K.A. ROSCO - SPACEMEN 3)
'THE PSYCHEDELIC UBIK'

CAT NO: MINTCD17
FORMAT: CD
PRICE: £8.00
RELEASE DATE: AVAILABLE NOW
LABEL: JUNGLE / MINT

BUY NOW

INFORMATION:

Sterling Roswell, best known as 'Rosco' from Spacemen 3 has finally fulfilled his ambition to create an album of 'Space Age Pop'. Originally Rosco set out to score the music for a forthcoming film - sadly the film was never to materialise - but the project grew into an album and then progressed into a live band.

Recently they have completed a trio of gigs at the newly opened Marquee club in Leicester Square, played at the Kosmiche Club and featured on a TV show. Rosco currently gigs and DJ's regularly.

Featuring the Morricone String Quartet, producer Neil Brockbank, drummer Bob Irwin, guitarists Steve Donnelly and Laine Hines. This album has already received 4 star reviews in Mojo and Record Collector and was awarded 'Album of the Week' in The Organ.

PRESS QUOTES:

"It makes you wonder if the real inspiration in Spacemen 3 was Sterling Roswell. Roswell's stoned Dylanising shines through transcendent acid rock...'Venus Honey Dew' could have come straight off the last Air album. If ever a record was worthy of the lofty claim 'Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space', this may well be it" MOJO, * * * * (Four Stars)

"A wonderful debut album - a fine mix of glowing futuristic almost whispered Mercury Rev/Beach Boys flavoured space pop, warm 60's garage psychedelia and frothing, creamy, dreamy, analogue synth seduction. Beautifully crafted, detail drenched, delicate velvety pop songs. Triumphantly uplifting - you need this album." Album Of The Week, Organ Magazine.

"A floaty, symphonic psychedelic pop record with woozy sound effects. Actually, this is brilliant!" Time Out.

"A heady, hazy half hour with this album and the contact high remains long after. Reminiscent of Stereolab's euro-lectric pop, a dash of lazy guitars, beats and horns make this a perfect summer afternoon record for slipping out of synch." Record Collector, * * * * (Four Stars)

"Girl From Orbit is a great, great love song; it is sex in a rocket destined for Planet Elsewhere" Single Of The Month, Sleaze Nation.

"One of this year's more convincingly psychedelic albums." 7/10, Rock Sound.

http://www.adasam.plus.com/spaceage/page45.htm
Willie The Wild One

Post by Willie The Wild One »

.......Yeah ROSCO always was the Genius in the Band. Taken a long time for anyone to give him credit though.

Where's my long purple wig and lippy?

SUFFER>>>>>>>>>>>......................
oooooooooooo

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Post by oooooooooooo »

Hi!

Sterling Rosewell & The Psychedelic Ubik have a special gig at The Barfly Wednesday 23rd March, 8:15pm, to celebrate their new album, new line-up, new website - and new t-shirt!

Please find flyer attached.

Hope to see you there,
dannypayne
New user

Post by dannypayne »

[quote="Willie The Wild One"].......Yeah ROSCO always was the Genius in the Band. Taken a long time for anyone to give him credit though.

Hey will!

I played on that album with Rosco!

still laughing at air is me!

danny
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i heard heartbeat by rosco a little while ago and, curiously enough, was reminded of one of the new songs spiritualized played at the sage (the one that had an intro a little like walking with jesus, a do-do-do bit a little bit like walk on the wild side and the line 'i'd rather let you down ...' in).
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I remeber that song. one of my favorates from the new ones. Its very disappointing that a tape of the show hasn't surfaced. It would be good to give those new songs a proper listen.

I really like the Sterling Roswell album, and surprised it hasn't had more favorable comments from around here. It seems he has a reputation for being an arsehole among some of the older spacemen 3 fans. Wouldn't have thought that would stop people trying out the album though.

Post by Guest »

hey willie hug me baby hug me suffer!!!!!
dmtea
New user

Re: Sterling Roswell

Post by dmtea »

I think you would have got the hump if you where treated the same way he was... quote - " returned after a 35 date tour to find the singer in the BAND ( also flat mate / trusted friend ) had spent ALL that money in Amsterdam on drugs - leaving him without the seven weeks rent due, and so, getting him kicked out of the oxford street pad that he had found in the first place and that his parents had guaranteed.. and so leaving the band homeless, very depressed, and having to sell his drums to move on.... "
Adam Rodent
Known user

Post by Adam Rodent »

You should all check out Rosco's stuff. It is really amazing. Great tunes, great space, great guy! Hey got the shaft and it's about time he's recognized!!!!!!! Girl From Orbit, Venus Honey Dew, Kicks, Give Peace Another Chance all great tunes!!! Also check out his cover of Tripmaker for the Sky Saxon Tribute album... Glorious and Sonic! Also watch out for the new Tone Rodent featuring Rosco!!!!!!!!!
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

I concur w/ what Adam said. Top guy and solid tunes. He doesn't get the credit he's due when it comes to thee ol band.
smellynobcheese
Known user

Post by smellynobcheese »

I have seen Rosco live in Darkside and more recently. He's extremely talented ...