How The Blues Shoulda Turned Out track listing

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

How The Blues Shoulda Turned Out track listing

Post by runcible »

This is the official track listing for the limited CD set that Pete K is putting out. I think a few are left.

Believe you me, whether or not you like the price or the idea, this is a truly incredible selection. All unreleased.

In the man's words:

Hey folks
here's the trax for the 2 cd's. they're both around an hour + long. there are also sleevenotes for each track that'll come with the cd's.

I hope its interesting to folk. I had forgotten some of the things we used to do & it was quite a trip back going thru all this stuff.
I went thru about 100 trax to narrow it down to a slightly more reasonable number which Mark helped me get down to this.

the cd's are pretty chronological, so the best quality stuff is on cd 2, which is pretty high quality sound throughout now, though only 1 live tape was used -all the rest were from rehearsals & are better quality. No yabber yabber going on thru-out etc. I tweaked all the stuff in a studio, removing hiss & improving the balance on a few.

later on a couple of the songs (these blues & what you needed me to be) were from Jason & my own pre-studio demos done on our little 4-track machines.

I'm running a little overtime on the thing, though its literally days away from being ready to send. I've had to prioritise a remix for the rather excellent Magnetophone (4 AD) which is needed for the 1st of August .

OK - so, here you go.
pk

cd 1
T.V. Eye '84
Blow My Top '84
Funhouse '84
By The River '84
Hey Man '85
Things'll Never Be The Same '85
Ode To Street Hassle '86
Little Doll '86
Mary-Anne '86
2.35 '87
Rollercoaster '86

cd 2
Walkin' With Jesus '87
Transparent Radiation '87
Starship '87
O.D. Catastrophe '87
Modulated 2 Tone '87
Song No 5 '87
What U Needed Me To Be '88
Tremelo Experiment w/ Drum Machine '87
These Blues '89
Song No 7 '89
Transparent Radiation '87
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Thanks for that Runcible.

I'm excited now. Can't wait til mine arrives!

I'll be really interested to hear those tracks from 1984.

Post by Guest »

Whoooaaa! OK This sounds very exciting may have to eat my words These Blues is im sure a track many many people have been waiting to hear hiss free!
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

wow, if that is the hiss free these blues then ... well ... it's not like i'm going to buy one but it's pretty exciting none the less.

what's the moral/legal deal with pete publishing something that's exclusively, or originally, jason's? for him to sell a four track demo of these blues that jase did seems a bit off ...
Starfish
Known user

Re: How The Blues Shoulda Turned Out track listing

Post by Starfish »

even better than that ...
sonic wrote:I went thru about 100 trax to narrow it down
... this means there'll be more releases to come, no doubt.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

anorthernsoul wrote: what's the moral/legal deal with pete publishing something that's exclusively, or originally, jason's? for him to sell a four track demo of these blues that jase did seems a bit off ...
Gerald Palmer and Third Stone own the rights to these recordings. Sort of end of story on that front.
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

Starfish wrote:even better than that ...

let's hope those are affordable.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

runcible wrote:
anorthernsoul wrote: what's the moral/legal deal with pete publishing something that's exclusively, or originally, jason's? for him to sell a four track demo of these blues that jase did seems a bit off ...
Gerald Palmer and Third Stone own the rights to these recordings. Sort of end of story on that front.

ownership of recordings is a different matter to publishing royalties though, (though that may be dependant upon the contract jason signed with palmer).

otherwise, i would have thought the publishing royalties from any pierce co-written tracks could be traceable to redemption songs ltd.

though i may well be wrong.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

"These Blues", eh? "Fun House", eh? Anybody expect Jason or Iggy to get any royalties for those two? Still, it would be pretty remarkable to hear the former in decent fidelity - or the latter, at all!
Bonic Soom

?

Post by Bonic Soom »

Anyone get these 2 cds yet?

Any thoughts? Worth getting? I realise pete is trying to fund recording but 40 notes is a bit steep for a 2cd set at the moment
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

still patiently waiting for the mailman to bring 'em........
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

has anyone received theirs yet? My cheque was cashed a few weeks ago now...
nailik
Known user

Post by nailik »

Anyone got theirs yet? I wasn't holding my breath, I know what to expect, but it's been months now and I'm getting listless
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

I'm getting pissed off to be honest.

Even by Pete's standards, this is mighty slow.

What's the delay?
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

pete just sent out an email. says they should be going out on monday.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

has anyone got one of these, yet? i assume it should be dropping onto postmats nationwide today or tomorrow. i'm only really asking so someone can start passing around copies, cough cough cough.
vibrafuzz

htbshto

Post by vibrafuzz »

yup if anyones up for recouping a tenner of their outlay for the 2 cds on cdrs i would bite their hands off
nailik
Known user

Post by nailik »

stingy cunts go buy yer own!!!
vibrafuzz

ha ha ha ha

Post by vibrafuzz »

i know who will have it on soulseek straight away anyway (just like the last 2cdr set pete did - even that was in the shops a month later - limited??????)

if u cant see u've been mugged for 40 notes for a hissy 2cdr set then u must be crazy some of us cant pay that money
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

WHERE ARE THE CDs PETE? What have you spent my £40 on? Never mind the new Spectrum CD, just send me the bloody CDs.
Ian

Post by Ian »

He said last week he was planning to send them Monday, but probably forgot about the bank holiday. So even if it was yesterday, they could take another day or so. Patience! This is likely to be the last decent haul of unknown Spacemen 3 material we ever get - worth waiting for, I'd say.

Love,

Ian
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

yes, have patience. he may charge a bit much and he may ship slowly, but he is not a ripoff artist(except most of his tunes according to some :wink: ). the stuff will get to you eventually, that's for certain.

Post by Guest »

anorthernsoul wrote:wow, if that is the hiss free these blues then ... well ... it's not like i'm going to buy one but it's pretty exciting none the less.

what's the moral/legal deal with pete publishing something that's exclusively, or originally, jason's? for him to sell a four track demo of these blues that jase did seems a bit off ...

would it be as 'off' as stealing my lyrics & using them , as on 'billy whizz' ?
I think not ......

woulld it be as off as blackmailing me so he could 'steal ' half the rights to the name Spacemen 3 - a name I provided- I think not.....and thats just 2 instances from the past I long ago forgave him for , but lets keep things in perspective........
I'd happilly remove the track , but then that would be spiteful as I understand people want this , rather nice track in good quality ?

If u want to call me some nasty names , knock yerself out , I only put it on for dicks like you.....
Space age (more accurately Gerald Palmer) owns the rights to that recording & he has sanctioned it to be ok to do 100 copies.
get it in perspective , get yourself laid , and do summit worthwhile .

Post by Guest »

When you first heard Spacemen 3, did you think "wow - I bet these guys could run a really efficient mail order business". Don't worry, like the man said, Sonic's not going to rip you off.

Post by Guest »

Starfish wrote:even better than that ...
nope -no way.
this is the cream of it .
anything else would be pointless . Something I try to avoid.
regds
pk

Re: htbshto

Post by Guest »

vibrafuzz wrote:yup if anyones up for recouping a tenner of their outlay for the 2 cds on cdrs i would bite their hands off

it's arseholes like you that have meant I've had to hold back until all 100 are sold , making it a month after it could've been sent out.
U r also ruining the independant (genuine..) end of the music machine that brought you Spacemen 3 . If £20 each is too much per cd , I'm sorry , but 'we' dont have automatic rights to anything/everything we might want .
In view of my note stating the obvious facts on my AD for the cd set , you must be retarded or just rather foolish.
For £10 , I'll bite your head off.................any good ?
love
Pete Kember

Re: ha ha ha ha

Post by Guest »

vibrafuzz wrote:i know who will have it on soulseek straight away anyway (just like the last 2cdr set pete did - even that was in the shops a month later - limited??????)

if u cant see u've been mugged for 40 notes for a hissy 2cdr set then u must be crazy some of us cant pay that money
firstly , you are wrong -it is studio recordings & rehearsals - no hissy recordings

secondly , I did a Japanese edition of the Spectrum chronichles cd in totally differant , unsigned format about a year after- not 1 month.

If you think you are being smart , time will show you what a fool you are .(really all I read is embarrassed arrogance in yr statement) ,
you are just the sorta person that'll finish decent bands off in favour of major label pap. you are ignorant & frankly , a bit of a fucking idiot & frankly I'm ashamed of you . It's been very heartening to see over the years the fans we (s3)attracted -mostly the audience we hoped was out there , somewhere , waiting for us -..... but arseholes like you really do an injustice to the more soulful brothers & sisters that I usually communicate with .
you are hardly contributing in any fruitful or useful way to what I understand to be a fairly sane & focussed community .
get a grip , stop acting the spoilt brat
sincerely
pete k

Post by Guest »

Ian wrote:He said last week he was planning to send them Monday, but probably forgot about the bank holiday. So even if it was yesterday, they could take another day or so. Patience! This is likely to be the last decent haul of unknown Spacemen 3 material we ever get - worth waiting for, I'd say.

Love,

Ian
Hi Ian ,
thanks 4 the kind note.
u r correct -they'll go tommorrow.
the manufacturer was away till yesterday & I had to go to the preview of the rather excellent ' The Devil & Daniel Johnston' film at the as usually horrible ICA.
I gotta say , whilst the film is genius & very amusing if a little sad , I would'nt have missed it for the World more that i can say for The ICA & the total wanker thats 'runs' the place -James Van Werven . why does that place always suck so bad ?

I'm not going 2 give u any sob stories , but for various reasons the last 12 months have been a great strain & a simple 2 hours watching Daniel Johnston was medicine I needed .-tho' it set me back a day .

the next Spectrum lp is 1/2 done & is going very well . those few who've heard it have been very positive
anyways ,
the cd's 'll b w/ u all very soon.
I think you'll not find it extortionate when u hear its scope .
I also MAY do a cheaper , unsigned , un-numbered edition in the future , but its highly unlikely . .....................
I may make some tracks available for download at a basic cost - but not soon- anyone who plans/intends to sell burnt copies on , please take a moment to really consider the implications -not the fairy tales downloaders tell themselves , but the realities of it .
If Madonna's income is slashed by 50% thru downloads , she still earns 1/2 of 8 gazillion pounds , when I lose 50 % if my say £15g income it suddenly makes a musical career in this sphere impossible - and I enjoy a loyal fanbase & a longtime reputation that luck & hard work has bestowed...............
think before u burn.
If its in print , check it out -if u like it , buy it -not burn it.
we're not talking faceless corporations -we're talking about the artists we hold dear & cherish , who soundtrack our lives .
sonic boom
Known user

u........i like..........

Post by sonic boom »

Anonymous wrote:When you first heard Spacemen 3, did you think "wow - I bet these guys could run a really efficient mail order business". Don't worry, like the man said, Sonic's not going to rip you off.
haha........very amusing . I appreciate your understanding of my deficiencies.......................
running mailorder , answering personally EVERY email (thank you for those ) , doing remixing etc. & working on a gazillion projects with Dean & Britta , Spectrum , Magnetophone & Fuxa (just of late...............) means I dont go to the P.O. every day .............
I'm greatful you understand . I try to go the whole hog in delivering things at a competetive price , using re-cycled packing to keep costs down etc. & helping folk find bits .
I never said I was perfect only that the prescription was..........
love
pk
pauldroneon
Known user

Post by pauldroneon »

man i wanted to see that daniel johnson film . i'm sure i'll see it one day .

i agree ica is wank , tryin to be all cool but is really an old ladies blouse of a place.

sonic i reckon you should add your track go to sleep on this new spectrum album ..... that's such an upsetting song man , i listened to it the other day and it filled me with melancholy so much so i wept ...... fucking braught back old memories about catching the bus late around london in the winter on my own when i was younger .

i understand how frustrating recording music can be for you i have the same problems ...... started writing my new song jesus gonna make a dyin bed (in my head) ..... got the feedback perfected got the blues guitar sounding like john lee hooker was about to record the vocals, do a bit of mixing then save the whole thing then bang the power pack on the computer blew up ........ it was crap , that whole 2 hours of creative influence gone ...... luckily i still have the first 2 songs on my album . dead beat town ..... which is like the outsiders with some synth effects , the second song is suicide waltz which is a tip to the hat to rev and vega sounds like mr ray.

i actually belive when i finish my album it will sound pretty good .

if only i could find a godamn person in the world to form a band with
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

I never said I was perfect only that the prescription was..........
:lol:
that would be a great title!
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Not to sound like a jerk, but it totally cracks me up that Sonic comes on the Spiritualized message board to defend himself. That's not to say that he doesn't have a right, or even a NEED to defend himself, but for some reason I find it hilarious. I guess I'm not used to "rock stars" coming down and interacting with the common folk. On their x-bandmates web site. While confirming that this ultra-limited over-priced collection of music may indeed be sold in stores at some point. And referring to some little ankle biters as being "dicks," "arseholes," "retarded," "foolish," "spoilt brats," "ignorant," and "fucking idiots."
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Anonymous wrote:
anorthernsoul wrote:wow, if that is the hiss free these blues then ... well ... it's not like i'm going to buy one but it's pretty exciting none the less.

I'd happilly remove the track , but then that would be spiteful as I understand people want this , rather nice track in good quality ?
These Blues is on this set cos I hassled Pete to death to include it. He didn't want to put it on for various reasons but we played it and it was absolutely stupendous and we agreed people would want to hear it. Whilst Jason may well have pinched a few ideas, lyrics etc. from Pete I can't see any problem with These Blues appearing here.

Ask yourself if you want to hear it. Its the missing Jason Spacemen 3 track that everyone wants and no clear recording exists outside the collection of tapes belonging to the band members and Gerald Palmer. As soon as I heard this CD set was planned I hoped Pete'd include the song. One thing led to another and I got involved in compiling it. When we trawled through the tapes (and there were a lot) we came to the Recurring demos and I argued very hard for its inclusion, and if I hadn't it wouldn't be there. Pete obviously liked the idea of someone who knew most of the music inside out but hadn't actually been involved in making it being there to bounce the songs off - and I'm priveleged enough for it to have been me.

So its my fault Jason is getting ripped off, if that's what people think. I'm just glad that a) These Blues finally sees the light of day and b) that such a fantastic set of unreleased recordings is about to appear. As will everyone who buys it. What many people seem to completely miss about Pete is that he is absolutely unmotivated by money. I've seen incredible generosity from him to many over the years and have seen nothing to shake my belief that the guy is in it for the music and little else.
Last edited by runcible on Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

i totally agree flamin'.

pete you slay me, if this music thing doesn't pan out you'd make one hell of a stand up comic.

all joking aside good luck with the discs, and your new album. and yeah, daniel is fantastic.

xmex

p/s- i'd love to get my hands on this set your'e offering, but $80 bucks, c'mon man, i'm not that loaded and spiritualized your'e not.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

"What many people seem to completely miss about Pete is that he is absolutely unmotivated by money." + $40 per CD-R = DOES NOT COMPUTE

Who is unmotivated by money? I don't TRUST anyone unmotivated by money. Pete wants money to help finish up the Spectrum album, so he is motivated by money.

I don't think anyone here is up in arms about Jason not getting financially compensated for a demo of a track that he wrote while in Spacemen 3, of which there are only 100 copies officially released. I think there's some curiosity about it, because Jason and Pete have an interesting relationship (or lack of one).
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

"I don't TRUST anyone unmotivated by money."

or rather

I wouldn't trust anyone who claims to be unmotivated by money. And I realize that Pete didn't say that he didn't care about $$$.

Or maybe those that are truly unmotivated by money already have it? Again, not referencing Pete.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

I think it's great you fought to get these blues included mark, i remember spending a bunch of time trying to 'dehiss' the copy i have to no avail. i can't wait to hear this!
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

flamingrev wrote:Not to sound like a jerk, but it totally cracks me up that Sonic comes on the Spiritualized message board to defend himself. That's not to say that he doesn't have a right, or even a NEED to defend himself, but for some reason I find it hilarious. I guess I'm not used to "rock stars" coming down and interacting with the common folk. On their x-bandmates web site. While confirming that this ultra-limited over-priced collection of music may indeed be sold in stores at some point. And referring to some little ankle biters as being "dicks," "arseholes," "retarded," "foolish," "spoilt brats," "ignorant," and "fucking idiots."
I stand by my opinions.
Im not & never will b any 'rock star' -unlike your buddies in the Lips -dont get me started on that........
so , please dont be surprised -I was thinking I had the same rights as anyone else...........musta been wrong.
glad u were amused tho
xox
pk
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

a beautiful noise wrote:i totally agree flamin'.

pete you slay me, if this music thing doesn't pan out you'd make one hell of a stand up comic.

all joking aside good luck with the discs, and your new album. and yeah, daniel is fantastic.

xmex

p/s- i'd love to get my hands on this set your'e offering, but $80 bucks, c'mon man, i'm not that loaded and spiritualized your'e not.
I apolagise that it seems expensive . -for the US , I agree it is . I will burn copies , w/out the color sleeves & not on the printed discs that the 100 come in for anyone -for £15 + post.
hope this helps -its not gonna have sleevenotes that I did 4 each track , but it seems a compromise . If people think it effects the value of there proper copy , I assure u it wont . its a burn -but atleast the $£€ goes to band members -and yes I DO pay Will.
bestest regards
pete k
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

fair is fair mr. k, you got my money.

can i at least copy someones sleeve notes??? please???

xshonnx
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Sonic, I didn't say that you had no right to be here. Quit taking your self so damn seriously! I think I speak for the board when I say that it's a pleasure hearing from you, even when we don't all agree with what you have to say. You've contributed to this board quite a few times and shared stories of Spacemen lore with us and you are more than welcome here.

I've never downloaded anything by the Spacemen or Spectrum, because I value the artwork and the physical manifestation of the music. This means that I've spent way too much money on out of print items like the Spectrum albums, and I've bought some albums in multiple formats (mainly because Tang SUCKS). Which makes me wonder, what are your thoughts on Ebay and used albums? About 50% of the music that I buy is used, which cuts you out of the profit entirely. Is this somehow better or worse than downloading? I will come right out and say that if I cannot find How The Blues... in a store for a decent price, I will very likely download it. If it later gets a broad, official release, I'll buy it even though I've already got it on my computer, and I'll feel bad for the people that paid out the ass for the "strictly limited" release. But i'm not going to pay $30+ for a couple of CD-r's of music that I've already bought 3 times over with black and white photocopied artwork.

I saw you with the Lips on the Music Against Brain Degeneration tour. I was wacked out on acid and your speak n' spells worked some magic on me. Did ya'll not get along very well or something? Gossip, gossip, gossip! I heard that the airport hassled your or something, and I spoke with a guy in Oklahoma that claimed to be your "handler" on that tour. He said something about friction with a dealer... he spoke of you with much exasperation. But he also said that Recurring sucks, so I can't say he's entirely trustworthy.

Post by Guest »

a beautiful noise wrote:fair is fair mr. k, you got my money.

can i at least copy someones sleeve notes??? please???

xshonnx
they over printed 5 of the sleeves for vol 1 & maybe 2 for vol 2 .
I'll include the s/notes for 1 of the discs . identify yourself upon ordering .
I really wish everything was free & easy -literally -but it aint , so , I do my best..........
yours
pk

Post by Guest »

flamingrev wrote:Sonic, I didn't say that you had no right to be here.

Ididnt realise I did -PK

Quit taking your self so damn seriously!

Ididnt realise I did -You dont know me , obviously ............PK

I think I speak for the board when I say that it's a pleasure hearing from you, even when we don't all agree with what you have to say. You've contributed to this board quite a few times and shared stories of Spacemen lore with us and you are more than welcome here.

Ididnt realise I did -pk

I've never downloaded anything by the Spacemen or Spectrum, because I value the artwork and the physical manifestation of the music. This means that I've spent way too much money on out of print items like the Spectrum albums,

is that my fault/problem/doing ?-pk

and I've bought some albums in multiple formats (mainly because Tang SUCKS).

Idid realise they were -pk

Which makes me wonder, what are your thoughts on Ebay and used albums? About 50% of the music that I buy is used, which cuts you out of the profit entirely.

not my concern . I'm more thasn happy to get a fair wage 4 a fair life. second hand ? go for it . I love recycling.-pk

Is this somehow better or worse than downloading? I will come right out and say that if I cannot find How The Blues... in a store for a decent price, I will very likely download it.

after my offer that seems to b a) your perogative
b#) pretty low,..

If it later gets a broad, official release, I'll buy it even though I've already got it on my computer, and I'll feel bad for the people that paid out the ass for the "strictly limited" release. But i'm not going to pay $30+ for a couple of CD-r's of music that I've already bought 3 times over with black and white photocopied artwork.

no. colour artwork , hand numbered/signed / stuff no-one outside s3 + engineers ever heard. believe .........-pk

I saw you with the Lips on the Music Against Brain Degeneration tour. I was wacked out on acid and your speak n' spells worked some magic on me. Did ya'll not get along very well or something? Gossip, gossip, gossip!

cant start on Wayne before a zillion others . he's ok. I got on fine w/ all the bands.-pk

I heard that the airport hassled your or something, and I spoke with a guy in Oklahoma that claimed to be your "handler" on that tour. He said something about friction with a dealer... he spoke of you with much exasperation. But he also said that Recurring sucks, so I can't say he's entirely trustworthy.

not true in any way -cept that he thinks reccuring sucks . his perog. -pk
clear stuff up ?
hope so
-pk

Post by Guest »

We should start a Questions For Sonic thread....

Are the artists represented on that sampler you put together getting compensated?

Does Iggy get money from OD Catastrophe?

Was there a deliberate reason for the change of pace on Playing With Fire? Each album seems to piggyback from the other to a certain extent, but I'm curious if there was a conscious decision to move from the psychadelic saturation of Perfect Prescription to the cold outer limits of Playing With Fire. Or is it simply how it magically turned out?

If you had to choose one item from your catalogue as being the purest expression of your musical ideals, which would it be? Is this the same album that you would refer to as your "favorite"?

Forever Alien seems to be a polarizing work around these parts, with a lot of talk about it seeming more like an EAR release than a Spectrum album. Does this album seem as curious to you, or is it simply a natural progression for Spectrum that incorporated the textures of EAR? Is it sometimes hard to draw a line between the two projects?

Do you prefer working as EAR or Spectrum? Is one method "easier" than the other (easier not meaning better or worse).

Sorry, i've had a bit of wine and questions keep popping into my head.

jbc

PS Are those Spectrum albums getting rereleased at some point ?

pps Why the hell are Digipacks supposed to be special? I've noticed that a lot of first editions come out in these things (including Dylan and Stones reissues). I personally hate them, they get beat up and grimy. Sometimes I want to re-buy Spacemen 3 albums just to have them in jewel cases. Why digipacks???
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

flamingrev wrote:"What many people seem to completely miss about Pete is that he is absolutely unmotivated by money." + $40 per CD-R = DOES NOT COMPUTE

Who is unmotivated by money? I don't TRUST anyone unmotivated by money. Pete wants money to help finish up the Spectrum album, so he is motivated by money.

that doesnt add up. If I could do it without paying rent & eating etc. , I would.
I'm not motivated by money , hence my chosen lifecourse. I've the education and IQ to make far more money - but i'd rather make you guys happy with music. ahh.......

I don't think anyone here is up in arms about Jason not getting financially compensated for a demo of a track that he wrote while in Spacemen 3, of which there are only 100 copies officially released. I think there's some curiosity about it, because Jason and Pete have an interesting relationship (or lack of one).
its not so interesting . I never fucked him (sorry Erik...) . I did get shat on . I forgave + forgot a long long time ago .I've the deopth of personality to stick by the people I love - and I have communicated with Jason . His lack of response can only be answered by him -tho' i'm sure u got a zillion theories.
the truth is - Jason doesnt want the truth known , like Pete Bain -it doesnt suit his delusions.
I 've always given Jason full credit for his work . He never gave me shit.........
No big deal . lifes too short . whatever his charachter defects , his musician ship & songwriting at times is excellent && undeniably so.
I dont expect u or anyone else to understand .
best regards
pk
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

Anonymous wrote:We should start a Questions For Sonic thread....

please...lets not...but i'll humour you this one time........pk

Are the artists represented on that sampler you put together getting compensated?

Ask MUNSTER records -not my job . I just compiled & promote it .-pk

Does Iggy get money from OD Catastrophe?

ask his publisher , in short , yes -he should b. The music though is original & by me not Iggy .
Jason often used #Iggy lyrics early on -see the new how the blues.....cds-pk

Was there a deliberate reason for the change of pace on Playing With Fire? Each album seems to piggyback from the other to a certain extent, but I'm curious if there was a conscious decision to move from the psychadelic saturation of Perfect Prescription to the cold outer limits of Playing With Fire. Or is it simply how it magically turned out?

er , magic -yes . no , its just who we were when we did -pk

If you had to choose one item from your catalogue as being the purest expression of your musical ideals, which would it be? Is this the same album that you would refer to as your "favorite"?

Highs ,lows ?
perf presc. ?
taking drugs ?
any ............-pk

Forever Alien seems to be a polarizing work around these parts, with a lot of talk about it seeming more like an EAR release than a Spectrum album.

wot rot . hav u listened 2 it - certainly no more than soul kiss............-pk

Does this album seem as curious to you, or is it simply a natural progression for Spectrum that incorporated the textures of EAR? Is it sometimes hard to draw a line between the two projects?

curious ? I think its downright weird . otherwise I smoked a lotta dmt for nothing...........-as with ALL the lp's -people take time to grow into them . I get nice mails from kids who werent born when S.O.C. or Perf. Presc. were recorded. -pk

Do you prefer working as EAR or Spectrum? Is one method "easier" than the other (easier not meaning better or worse).

I try to take them as differant parts of the same whole . I love Spectrum , but it involves more work /people etc. -pk

Sorry, i've had a bit of wine and questions keep popping into my head.

jbc

PS Are those Spectrum albums getting rereleased at some point ?

yes , supposedly -pk

pps Why the hell are Digipacks supposed to be special?

no clue , go figur n-anything not one of the shitty plastic breakup boxes is a plus by me - pk

I've noticed that a lot of first editions come out in these things (including Dylan and Stones reissues). I personally hate them, they get beat up and grimy. Sometimes I want to re-buy Spacemen 3 albums just to have them in jewel cases. Why digipacks???
just to annoy people who dont like them.............jeesus..........anything else ?
regds
pk

Post by Guest »

yeah, I've got loads more questions but I'll space em' out a little. Thanks!
paulm

Post by paulm »

can people just stop with the money talk it's bullshit

the music is what matter's listen .... i braught how the blues shoulda turned out ..... paid the 40 quid ...... i'm a fan i love the music ...now if a few of you can't afford the 40 quid tough shit ..... don't moan .....cos i aint gonna be copying it for anyone .

and sonic if you should release this in a years time on digipack sleeve on space age that would be fucked up and harsh .

arent anyone of you looking forward to the new up and coming spectrum album .... it's gonna be fucking cool think about it , randall from fuxa on it . rick from bjtm on it ....... we could assume dean or britta might be on it too .... that means it will be good.

pk i can play bass , i have a vox cougar which needs music to be played with.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

flamingrev wrote:"What many people seem to completely miss about Pete is that he is absolutely unmotivated by money." + $40 per CD-R = DOES NOT COMPUTE

You're simply being picky here. You know what I mean. There are some people who would do anything to make money and lots of it, and there are some who like to get by and do what they do. Jason gets much criticism for keeping most of the money Spiritualized generates (see the Lupine Howl debate), Pete doesn't, simply because he isn't that interested in earning lots of money. If he was he certainly wouldn't have taken the post-Spacemen 3 direction he did, confounding critics and journos by not following their predictions of a glorious future in pop.

If these CDs were commercially available the work that has gone into them would be regarded as basic. But to put all these songs through a process to reduce hiss, improve overall sound quality, then do the artwork, package it all, sign the sleeves and post everything (all of which was done pretty much single-handedly), its not a simple case of burning CD-Rs. The quanitity made is very low, so the work is done by hand for the most part. Everyone admits the price is high but its not like Pete is simply trying to line his pockets, which is my original point.

Next subject - food motivation. After that, air.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Well said Runcible.

Fair enough if some people can't afford 40 quid. That's their own problem.

But it's harsh for them to then say Pete's just trying to rip them off. I suppose it's frustration really.

Personally, if I hadn't of spend 40 quid on this set, I'd have pissed it away in a few days anyway.

I love Spacemen 3 and to hear these new tracks fills me with pure excitement.

I just can't wait to get it now!
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

Anonymous wrote:yeah, I've got loads more questions but I'll space em' out a little. Thanks!
no swet .
I dont mind answering stuff - but things like someones preference to packaging (i.e. digipaks) is obviously not really a question 4 me ....
if u post q's on a seperate visible page/thread , I'll try + come by once in a while .
course , smart alecs etc are likely 2 b a big put off- so please play nicely -i'm really very fragile...........
love
pk
If anyone has a copy of Francois Hardy's 'If u listen' l.p. for sale please email me at sonic@sonic-boom.info
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

paulm wrote:can people just stop with the money talk it's bullshit

the music is what matter's listen .... i braught how the blues shoulda turned out ..... paid the 40 quid ...... i'm a fan i love the music ...now if a few of you can't afford the 40 quid tough shit ..... don't moan .....cos i aint gonna be copying it for anyone .

and sonic if you should release this in a years time on digipack sleeve on space age that would be fucked up and harsh .

arent anyone of you looking forward to the new up and coming spectrum album .... it's gonna be fucking cool think about it , randall from fuxa on it . rick from bjtm on it ....... we could assume dean or britta might be on it too .... that means it will be good.

I've noted your objections , and there are NO plans to release this. It really is a fan only release - not a finished l.p. - really just for 100 of u who care enough .

If £40 seems too much , I'd suggest thats some measure of 'your' (not personally) general feelings about the stuff & therefore would b money poorly spent ?
I'd pay £40 for 1 song . In the right situation.
Currently to mind , Bown ,Bown , Bown by Francois Hardy might warrant that - if it sends shivers up my spine its cheaper than any drugs I've found .........or maybe White Horses by Jacky..........records u can put on repeat for an hour & weep with joy .maybe Anne-Margaret/ Lee Hazelwood's You turned my head around.............

there wont ever b a bass vacancy with me as long as WBC is around and ,er , willing. but i thank you 4 the offer.

Yes Dean + Britta do play on the stuff . I think its the best Spectrum lp i've done . I wish the days had 28 hours.........
bestest r
pk

pk i can play bass , i have a vox cougar which needs music to be played with.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Nice response 'Runcie'. A lot of artists are just scrapping by without being on a major indie label w/ tons of cash thrown at them and deep pockets in the marketing and advertising departments.

Pete, enjoying the latest E.A.R. album (got it in both formats). Enjoying the ' Whirling Circles ' and ' Larchers Op-art ' on the vinyl - quite hallucinatory.

Nice one ' Fuzzhead '. Remember the Spacemen 3 dvd Enger show circulating last year ? Since then I have rec'd two copies from generous space cadets without compensation or trade. Remember you wanted to sell it to me for $30.00 ??? Who's trying to make a buck here - fucking hypocrite ! :twisted: Remember, something about your brother burning it (labor involved), the cost of the dvd, shipping/handling and you thought that $30.00 sounded like a fair price and you even wanted me to fucking PayPal into your acct. ! :shock:
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Richy baby, stop getting yer kecks in a twist.

I didn't advertise that disc for sale.

You PM'd me asking for a copy. At that time I didn't have a DVD drive on my PC.

I'd never done trades at that time and that was my first Spacemen/Spiritualized etc bootleg.

I wasn't wise to the whole concept of trading etc.

I was gonna get my brother (who doesn't live here) to do you a copy and I thought £15 for the effort was fine.

You didn't.

I wouldn't dream of doing that now, as I have a DVD drive & I know what the trading/sharing thing is all about.

I've passed on loads of shows on here since then, as other members would tell you.

You're a right little drama queen.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Fuzzhead - fair enough. I'll accept the explanation. At least you admitted in charging me. 8)
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

i just paid recently 40 quid for an original release of sun ra - atlantis ......fucking mind blowing.

cos i can't mentally handle drugs as it makes me schizo , i guess music is the only option for me to leave the everyday world and searching for many more music from the past is quite a good kick.

sonic have you heard the joe meek produced track it's hard to believe it by glenda collins ....... it's a shiver sender especially the string sections interweeving each other .

folks i thought i said stop talking about money

i consider myself a good bassist anyone else out there in sussex surrey or south london who wants to form a band . c'mon you know you wanna ......i almost formed a very velvets style band last year but the guy who sang sang like steve harley from the cockney rebels it couldn't have lasted ....
nothing that sounds like steve harley could last except on t.v and a show like stella street

Post by Guest »

Does any one have a dispatch date for the 'Blues' CD's please?
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

spacemanrich wrote:
Pete, enjoying the latest E.A.R. album (got it in both formats). Enjoying the ' Whirling Circles ' and ' Larchers Op-art ' on the vinyl - quite hallucinatory.
:cry:

I haven't gotten my copies :x :cry: :x :( :cry:

Post by Guest »

I guess this is more or less off topic, so forgive me, but I just bought Spectrum Live Chronicles Volume 2. I got it in Santa Cruz and was listening to it as I drove to San Jose where I knew a copy of volume 1 was waiting. It sucked so hard that I sold it at the record shop in San Jose. I bought Prince's 1999 instead. Terrible sound quality, radio announcer barking over the tracks, uninspired performances, what the fuck? Is this the best Spectrum odds n' sods that could be dug up? Is the other volume better? Blech!!! It's almost convinced me to pass up a ticket to any future Spectrum tours.... Is the live experience better than this bootleggity bullshit?
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

some folk here need to take a stress pill and think things over as a wise, if slightly unhinged, machine once said.

not received mine but, on the flipside, i didn't put up an oversized egg timer when i made the order.

lets look at it this way. something you didnt really expect to see is due out - the cost of which will help to finance another album. what's to be upset about?

Granada TV and Video Rentals (1983), now there's an example of patience at it's best.
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

Anonymous wrote:I guess this is more or less off topic, so forgive me, but I just bought Spectrum Live Chronicles Volume 2. I got it in Santa Cruz and was listening to it as I drove to San Jose where I knew a copy of volume 1 was waiting. It sucked so hard that I sold it at the record shop in San Jose. I bought Prince's 1999 instead. Terrible sound quality, radio announcer barking over the tracks, uninspired performances, what the fuck? Is this the best Spectrum odds n' sods that could be dug up? Is the other volume better? Blech!!! It's almost convinced me to pass up a ticket to any future Spectrum tours.... Is the live experience better than this bootleggity bullshit?
fuck man, did it have to be Prince?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

...had to be :lol:
flamingrevolution

Post by flamingrevolution »

That was me bitching about the Live Chronicles, and yes, it had to be Prince. 1999 is such an awesome album! Lady Cabdriver, Something In The Water, All The Critics Love You.... I've owned every Prince album and eventually sold the shitty ones back, but that still leaves me with eight or nine rock solid albums. Spectrum never made an album that comes close to Prince's peaks, although the crap Live Chronicles are only slightly worse than the Crystal Ball collection.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

What the ....'Crystal Ball' is fantastic!
Sp3

chronicles

Post by Sp3 »

yeh but its all about perspective isnt it, the spectrum live chronicles were labelled as outtakes, left over bits, an official bootleg if you like, sonic stated there were hisses, sonic stated some stuff was sourced from live tapes or crackly cassette dubs of radio shows etc... so i wasnt expecting stereo panned clarity with dolby 5.1 etc. its a good document... the Newcastle Riverside show I dearly love, the mix is so low fi but wonderful
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

flamingrevolution wrote: I've owned every Prince album and eventually sold the shitty ones back.
So you now own the same amount of Prince albums I do I guess. :D