gold perfect prescription

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

JL
Known user

gold perfect prescription

Post by JL »

genius re-re-re-re-released PP at some point with a gold foil-stamped cover (my copy also had a sticker on the wrap touting it as the "50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION!"). when did this come out? i believe i bought mine around 96/97. could be wrong. were there many of them made?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Definitely later than 96-97 but probably not that much later - you don't see it much now although I think the purple one is the rarest. I have 4 different editions of the Genius PP - purple, orange, silver and gold. Bizarrely the Genius CD of Performance was only issued once. Probably one of the most sought after Spacemen 3 CDs.

This is one of the main reasons why Pete K often won't trust smaller labels - they always say they'll do a specific issue of something and end up doing several reissues - Taang!, Genius, Munster, Forced Exposure... SFTRI are one of the few not to fuck bands over on this. I've even known Pete ask for the stamper for vinyl releases to prevent this.
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

speaking of s3 being dicked around by small labels, is it just my imagination or is the taang "singles" cd taken from vinyl sources? i swear i hear pops and crackles on that disc, not to mention the fact that each ep seems to be at a diferent volume level. wouldnt be too surprised if this is true, given the tales i've heard about taang.
BVCP206
Known user

Re: gold perfect prescription

Post by BVCP206 »

(my copy also had a sticker on the wrap touting it as the "50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION!").

Anybody shed any light on the significance of the 50th edition sticker ?
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

the only thing i could ever think of was 50th anniversary = gold anniversary. maybe someone in the warehouse was either having some fun or was seriously confused? anyone else have a sticker like this?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

JL wrote:speaking of s3 being dicked around by small labels, is it just my imagination or is the taang "singles" cd taken from vinyl sources? i swear i hear pops and crackles on that disc, not to mention the fact that each ep seems to be at a diferent volume level. wouldnt be too surprised if this is true, given the tales i've heard about taang.
'The Singles' also has a few minutes from the middle of 'Rollercoaster' edited out in order to get every title squeezed on. Not good.
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

here's an interesting taang note: i was at the san diego headquarters/store a while back, and the main man was telling me that there is an incomplete/unissued spacemen original that sonic had been preparing for potential release (he implied that additional recording was being done by sonic), i believe around the time of the taang reissues. i wish i could remember the title, but i'm afraid i cant. he did speak about it very enthusiastically, and if anyone has further info about what this track is i'd be interested in hearing more. also, there was to be a double 11" (yes, 11") version of the singles comp, which only made it to the test press phase; one of these showed up on ebay a year or two ago and the listing was quickly pulled.
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

ah yes: he (the head of taang) also claimed that the song in question was the only totally unreleased spacemen 3 original. thoughts? (i'm sure it wouldnt be terribly difficult to ask curtis---or sonic?---himself if anyone so desired)
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Considering Peter's rather strained affection for Taang and for Curtis (all well-earned: there's the sourcing from vinyl, the edited Rollercoaster, the atrocious-sounding Perfect Prescription, the pixellated, poorly redesigned cover artwork, and on and on) this seems pretty unfounded.

Although you've got to salute them for genuinely trying to get as many relevant bonus tracks as possible on their issues, to the point of almost negating their Singles compilation.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

That's Just Fine with the fully re-recorded vocals springs to mind as the most likely candidate.
twentysixdollars
Known user

But that wouldn't be 'totally unreleased' at all, since there are demos and live takes and the instrumental that Taang themselves attached to the Perfect Prescription.
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

given that i was speaking to curtis more than five years after the taang discs came out, i assume that the project had long since been abandoned. something that makes me wonder a little whether such a thing exists is the fact that sonic has not released it himself through spaceage (though they have yet to issue an expanded "recurring"...i imagine there are plenty of legal messes surrounding that one thanks to RCA's involvement, but hadn't spaceage at least assigned it a catalog number? not that that means TOO much, since forged prescriptions had a cat # for years before it finally came out). still, the possible existence of this song is an interesting thought.
Ian

Post by Ian »

The really ironic thing about the four minutes hacked out of Rollercoaster on the Taang! singles CD is that it didn't have to be that much. The version of Walkin' With Jesus is too long. Although it's the same version as the Taking Drugs... one, the single version fades out a couple of minutes before the end (as correctly featured on Translucent Flashbacks), whereas the Taang! CD includes the whole track. If it had the correct single edit, they could have kept a couple more minutes of Rollercoaster.

It's still not great losing any of Rollercoaster, of course. The sensible option is to lose Take Me To The Other Side, as it's identical to the Perfect Prescription version, but then I guess it defeats the object of calling the CD The Singles...

Love,

Ian
Firmament
New user

Post by Firmament »

JL wrote:speaking of s3 being dicked around by small labels, is it just my imagination or is the taang "singles" cd taken from vinyl sources? i swear i hear pops and crackles on that disc, not to mention the fact that each ep seems to be at a diferent volume level. wouldnt be too surprised if this is true, given the tales i've heard about taang.

is it the same thing as the TAANG! reissue of The Sound of Confusion? I bought that the other day and the appended Walking with Jesus EP sounds like either the entire thing consisted of demos or was sourced from vinyl....
twentysixdollars
Known user

Firmament wrote: is it the same thing as the TAANG! reissue of The Sound of Confusion? I bought that the other day and the appended Walking with Jesus EP sounds like either the entire thing consisted of demos or was sourced from vinyl....
I don't think so; actually I think SOC is just about the best of the Taang! reissues, with fairly solid sound (best of any CD version so far, I guess), generous bonuses, and actually improved cover art. And the Walkin' EP never sounded all that great anyway. I don't hear any scratches or pops though so it probably wasn't sourced from vinyl. I might be wrong though. A lot of the Taang! stuff was.
Firmament
New user

Post by Firmament »

The actual Walking with Jesus song on SOC sounded great, but Rollercoaster and Feel So Good were the only two that sounded bad. I had actually thought was performed live before I realized I was listening to badly recorded rollercoaster noises!
twentysixdollars
Known user

Rollercoaster is a live track as far as I know, but those are in fact field recording noises you hear. Feel So Good is effectively a demo.