some word on the new spectrum album

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

me on the board
New user

some word on the new spectrum album

Post by me on the board »

hello. first post; hope it's useful.

i had the chance to ask sonic about the new spectrum record tonight following his performance with dean & britta (good show, but WAY oversold by the club). he indicated that it would likely NOT be coming out in 2007, due mainly to a lack of time. this is what i was told, but feel free not to take this as gospel, of course, until he comes out and announces such info officially.

i should also mention the following: i know that sonic gets a lot of grief from fans for a number of reasons (heck, i was annoyed by the cdr pricing as well), BUT -- in person, he was 100% gracious and friendly, which says a lot when it's a situation where the person could totally give me the brush-off and walk away. bottom line: a nice guy.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64426264

from Spectrum mymeatsite:

NEW SPECTRUM ALBUM INFORMATION

Here is some info about the next Spectrum album, it has the working title "On the Wings of Mercury" and is going to be released on Space Age Recordings sometime late this year hopefully, record is a mix between "Highs Lows and Heavinly Blows" and Spacemen 3's "Perfect Prescription".
Sonic Boom, Alf Hardy, Willie B. Carruthers, Randall Nieman, Rick Maymi and Dean Wareham are involved with the making of this album.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64426264

seeing Dean also working on it makes it look even more interesting.
jamesj1986
Known user

Post by jamesj1986 »

Yeah, I spoke to him back in April and he said it could be a while.
cappin
Known user

Post by cappin »

When i spoke to him he mentioned it would be more guitar based and ready early next year (it was in 06 so...).

how long until early isn't early anymore?? :?

x
me on the board
New user

Post by me on the board »

yeah, i don't know. he did definitely say -- twice (once onstage, once to me) -- that there wouldn't be a spectrum lp in 2007. whatever ends up happening, that list of collaborators is definitely promising...
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

think I said it before here but economics has something to do with it but we should all gently request how much we want to hear a spectrum lp - it has been 10 years since the last one and argueable 13 years since the last guitar/organ based lp, gently badger him!
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

The new Spectrum album is our own personal Chinese Democracy.
mojo filters
Known user

Re: .

Post by mojo filters »

flamingrev wrote:The new Spectrum album is our own personal Chinese Democracy.
As a student of political science, I'm keener to hear Spectrum's new album than see Chinese democracy...from the pr descriptions it sounds like it could be the best Spectrum album yet, plus the collaborators make it sound even more interesting. Unforfortunately it seems pretty certain we will have to wait a year at least for it's release - maybe if Pete K got some more positive support he might be more inclined to get it out sooner :idea:
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

I think you are probably right there. There is expectation which hasn't been there for a long time.

I remember badgering on about a spectrum gig and saying how much interest there would be, then we got it at the ICA and there were only about 50 people there!

Since then though things have definately changed for the better.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I have a hard time believing that Will will play on the New Spectrum Album. Really? He was one of the members who left Sonic in Texas the last time they toured, they couldn't deal with him anymore in his current state.

Pete was super nice and seemingly sober the last time I saw him, but we all know he has burned a few bridges along the way. I thought Will Carruthers was one of them. Anyway, I wasn't too stoked on the guitar/organ tour last year sometime. The Spacemen 3 reunion thing. The new thing he is doing with Experimental Audio Research is much more psychedelic and cool to me, but that is just my opinion!

Don't kill me for saying this, but I'm really into the new EAR stuff, it is mind blowing and new.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:I have a hard time believing that Will will play on the New Spectrum Album. Really? He was one of the members who left Sonic in Texas the last time they toured, they couldn't deal with him anymore in his current state.

Pete was super nice and seemingly sober the last time I saw him, but we all know he has burned a few bridges along the way. I thought Will Carruthers was one of them. Anyway, I wasn't too stoked on the guitar/organ tour last year sometime. The Spacemen 3 reunion thing. The new thing he is doing with Experimental Audio Research is much more psychedelic and cool to me, but that is just my opinion!
Compared to the portrayal of PK in Erik Morse's book during the SM3 years, where certain folks took a good opportunity to slag off Pete, Will's contributions are articulate and seemingly unbiased. So it seems quite likely - eg PK also worked with Pete Baines in the 90's after an uncomfortable departure from SM3, so the descriptons of PK's behaviour from many contributors (Pete Baines being one of the most barbed and vitriolic) often sound biased to me, though Pat Fish always sounds thoroughly objective and fair in his quotes.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

mojo filters wrote: Compared to the portrayal of PK in Erik Morse's book during the SM3 years, where certain folks took a good opportunity to slag off Pete, Will's contributions are articulate and seemingly unbiased. So it seems quite likely - eg PK also worked with Pete Baines in the 90's after an uncomfortable departure from SM3, so the descriptons of PK's behaviour from many contributors (Pete Baines being one of the most barbed and vitriolic) often sound biased to me, though Pat Fish always sounds thoroughly objective and fair in his quotes.
I think Will would work with Pete K again no problem - they have a serious respect for each other. I think the Pete Bain thing is very sad as they were good mates but Pete B's bitter take on everything burnt every bridge he might have had with his former mentor. He's a really sweet guy too - I was suprised at how badly hurt he felt by the whole Spacemen and post Spacemen thing.

Pat Fish is solid - the only time I met him was when Pete K warmly introduced me to him at some EAR or Spectrum gig. Those guys like each other a lot.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

runcible wrote:
mojo filters wrote: Compared to the portrayal of PK in Erik Morse's book during the SM3 years, where certain folks took a good opportunity to slag off Pete, Will's contributions are articulate and seemingly unbiased. So it seems quite likely - eg PK also worked with Pete Baines in the 90's after an uncomfortable departure from SM3, so the descriptons of PK's behaviour from many contributors (Pete Baines being one of the most barbed and vitriolic) often sound biased to me, though Pat Fish always sounds thoroughly objective and fair in his quotes.
I think Will would work with Pete K again no problem - they have a serious respect for each other. I think the Pete Bain thing is very sad as they were good mates but Pete B's bitter take on everything burnt every bridge he might have had with his former mentor. He's a really sweet guy too - I was suprised at how badly hurt he felt by the whole Spacemen and post Spacemen thing.

Pat Fish is solid - the only time I met him was when Pete K warmly introduced me to him at some EAR or Spectrum gig. Those guys like each other a lot.
Pat Fish actually sounds like possibly the most interesting character in the book - he certainly gives what sounds like an unbiased and honest account or opinion whenever he is quoted. I guess he had a bit more distance from the band than the other quoted contributors. Will Carrthers seems to be the only former Spaceman who says it like it is/was, and quite eloquantly too. Pete Bains' quotes also look articulate and informed, but the pattern of putting a bitter spin on what he says about just about every other person concerned rather devalues his contribution.

I hope PK's current g/f doesn't read your last sentance and take it the wrong way...err, that didn't quite come out as intended but you get the idea...
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I'm pretty sure Will posted on his websie, after the Spacemen 3 reunion tour, that he wouldn't play with Pete again. I'm sure he would do it, I'm just surprised.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

mojo filters wrote:
I hope PK's current g/f doesn't read your last sentance and take it the wrong way...err, that didn't quite come out as intended but you get the idea...
:shock:
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:I'm pretty sure Will posted on his websie, after the Spacemen 3 reunion tour, that he wouldn't play with Pete again. I'm sure he would do it, I'm just surprised.
Eh...are you posting from the future :?:

I can't see any good coming from a SM3 reunion...admittedly I'm looking forward to seeing the Police at Glastonbury, but could live without it, I've seen Simon & Garfunkel perform during the last reunion tour which was great to see, except they sounded almost exactly like Paul Simon's previous solo tour and had all the same band...the same could not be said of Art Garfunkel's last solo tour however.

Anyhows back on topic - I'd rather see Sonic and Jason keep on producing new stuff then we get twice as much music and a better sense of progression. Given Jason always plays a few SM3 songs in his live sets (though I wish he'd go back to finishing with a groovy version of These Blues instead of what has become slightly workmanlike versions of Take Me to the Other Side or Smiles/Things'll Never be the Same), he did great things with Amen on Acoustic Mainlines and when the kind hand of fate gives us the eagerly anticipated new Spectrum album hopefully there'll be a UK tour and we might get some interesting takes on other SM3 songs from Pete K and/or some straightish versions. Eitherway I'd rather follow the multiple tracks of post-Spacemen music.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

A couple years ago Sonic Boom tried to do a Spacemen 3 reunion tour with Will, Rick Maymi, and this guy named Cliff on drums.

I saw the show at Spaceland LA, they did all Spacemen 3 covers.

A few weeks later, Sonic is playing at the Garage. The band (Will, and Cliff and maybe Rick) are in the audience because they abandoned the tour in Texas.

After this tour, I remember going to WillCarruthers.com and there was a message board and I thought Will said that playing with Sonic Boom again was a mistake. I don't remember the exact words.

Thus, based on what I remember, I am quite surprised that Will and Pete are playing together again.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:A couple years ago Sonic Boom tried to do a Spacemen 3 reunion tour with Will, Rick Maymi, and this guy named Cliff on drums.

A few weeks later, Sonic is playing at the Garage. The band (Will, and Cliff and maybe Rick) are in the audience because they abandoned the tour in Texas.

After this tour, I remember going to WillCarruthers.com and there was a message board and I thought Will said that playing with Sonic Boom again was a mistake. I don't remember the exact words.

Thus, based on what I remember, I am quite surprised that Will and Pete are playing together again.
Thanks - that's quite interesting, especially if it was just a few years ago. Did they use the Spacemen 3 name? If so I'd have thought they'd need permission from other non-participants. I must confess your description makes it sound a little half-hearted attempt, though I guess the arguing and splits etc sound very true to form.

However I'm actually currently sitting in line of sight of a poster for the 1st Spiritualized gig at Newcastle riv, which is bizarrely billed as 'Spiritualized featuring Spacemen 3' with a picture of what looks like the last SM3 line-up minus PK. Good authority has it I was at the gig but I honestly can't remember it, I used to see a lot of bands at the riv as for one thing it was easy to get in as a youngster, and whilst some bands left a lasting impression not that many of them managed to translate the thrill of the live gig into recorded output that really got my attention. I can quite imagine that as an excitable youngster the subtleties of SM3 material and the slight drearyness of Jason's take on 'Any Way You Want Me' would have been lost on me. The raw, exciting but very tight performances from bands like the magnificent Mega City Four were the ones that really grabbed my attention.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I'm looking at the poster now. It was Sonic Boom Spectrum playing all Spacemen 3 songs.

I felt really bad for him the last show, by himself, 2 people watching, the club trying to get Sonic to stop playing.

The first show with the whole band was awesome. I remember Jeff Davies and I were dancing around and totally having fun at Spaceland. It was a great idea I guess it just didn't work out. And he kept getting mad at the drummer which was kind of weird..
minimoog
Known user

Post by minimoog »

Ive got some of the Riverside gig on that Spectrum 'Live Chronicles' stuff Sonic put out.
Not the best quality but OK. The best tracks are from the BBC Session (they sound like they were taped off the radio...probably were...part of the charm :D )

Riverside 29-5-91

Transparent Radiation
Che
When Tomorrow Hits
Call the Doctor
Sweet Running Water
Set Me Free
Revolution

I can put them on a torrent/yousendit (whichever is prefered/easiest) if inerested.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

dselevan wrote:I'm looking at the poster now. It was Sonic Boom Spectrum playing all Spacemen 3 songs.

I felt really bad for him the last show, by himself, 2 people watching, the club trying to get Sonic to stop playing.

The first show with the whole band was awesome. I remember Jeff Davies and I were dancing around and totally having fun at Spaceland. It was a great idea I guess it just didn't work out. And he kept getting mad at the drummer which was kind of weird..
Was this the "Songs the Spacemen Taught Us" tour with Will? If so, I managed to see it in Detroit, really enjoyed it as it was a mixture of Spectrum/SP3 songs. Chatted both Will and Sonic up before the show and snagged the really green half a j they left in the ash tray before the doors opened (yeah, I'm a dumpster diver). Apparently, things went south a few weeks later that Will referred to as The Van Incident (I think a fight broke out between Sonic and Will In The Van) hence Sonic playing by himself . . . :shock:
I think I feel it coming on
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

you'd need gerald palmer's permission to use the term spacemen 3 for any musical releases or live tours.

http://www.patent.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-fi ... rk=2285176

jason owns the trademark to the term spaceman. you couldnt for instance print spaceman t-shirt without his approval.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I think it was that tour. I have a poster for Songs the Spacemen Taught so that might be it, I don't remember. I heard about a van incident but I didn't know it was a fight. I wasn't sure what happened in the van and no one would talk about it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

There was no 'Spacemen 3 reunion tour' - where the fuck did you get that idea from? Seriously dselevan - that is absolutely incorrect and your account plays into the hands of idiots who'd like to say that this is what happened as it most certainly did not. There was indeed a 'Songs The Spacemen Taught Us' tour which featured Will, Rick and Pete plus others. I'm sure you'll agree the title of the tour is significantly different to what you originally claimed.

There was also a row on that tour. But things settled and Rick has worked with Pete since and has high regard for the guy. He stayed with him recently and features on the unreleased Spectrum album.

The 1st few Spiritualized shows were billed as 'Spacemen 3 without Sonic' or 'featuring Spacemen 3'. That was what actually killed off Spacemen 3 in 1990. And the 1st few 12"s of 'Anyway That You Want Me' had Spacemen 3 stickers on them.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

come on man you would have to be an idiot to think there was a real Spacemen 3 reunion tour. I already said it was Pete, Will, Cliff and Rick. Anyway this board is becoming a waste of time. You people are way to serious for me so catch y all somewhere else
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

dselevan wrote:A couple years ago Sonic Boom tried to do a Spacemen 3 reunion tour...
:?
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

8) "Everytime you go away...you take a piece of me with you! "ALL TOGETHER NOW!
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo_uhHJJWtE
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wo_uhHJJWtE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wo_uhHJJWtE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Thanks for that clip! I was HELD UP in COURT! so to speak on that day! That is my LOCAL BAR just about! I went to LITTLE JOY last night DSELEVEN! and SHORTSTOP ! did you go?

RUNCIBLE stop busting this MANS BALLS!
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Muscles wrote:RUNCIBLE stop busting this MANS BALLS!
Come on...that was possibly the funniest bit of quoting I've read :!:
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

muscles - better for pm
Already There
Known user

Re:

Post by Already There »

dselevan wrote:A couple years ago Sonic Boom tried to do a Spacemen 3 reunion tour with Will, Rick Maymi, and this guy named Cliff on drums.

Yes. That seems weird to me, too. ^^ He said it was a mistake... interesting...
dselevan wrote:I'm looking at the poster now. It was Sonic Boom Spectrum playing all Spacemen 3 songs.

:cry: That sounds really quite sad.
purespace wrote: Was this the "Songs the Spacemen Taught Us" tour with Will? If so, I managed to see it in Detroit, really enjoyed it as it was a mixture of Spectrum/SP3 songs. Chatted both Will and Sonic up before the show and snagged the really green half a j they left in the ash tray before the doors opened (yeah, I'm a dumpster diver). Apparently, things went south a few weeks later that Will referred to as The Van Incident (I think a fight broke out between Sonic and Will In The Van)
The Van incident? h, yeah, doesn't sound too nice...
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
helterskelter
Known user

Re: some word on the new spectrum album

Post by helterskelter »

this is such old news - maybe 6 - 7 years ago
seem to remember after that either will or ricky said it wasn't that bad

I remember seeing spectrum at the ica - that must have been 2001 or 2 - seems to be it was the start of a very, very gradual but positive return since to me - it all happens very slowly, progress wise but I have really enjoyed seeing Pete/spectrum since - always unpredictable but always part of a good evening out for me.