how the blues... torrent

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

KingHarry
Known user

Re: how the blues... torrent

Post by KingHarry »

There were some good demos of the Recurring sessions posted here some time ago - most had too much production fuzz on them for my ears, but there were some called 'The Battery Studios Demos' that had some great versions of Big City and Drive on them.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Cheers King Harry - have those versions.

Was wondering if he actually recorded anything else of a similar nature either as Spectrum or under any other guise. I really loved the first EAR album as well, but Big City had a really cool hypnotic disco type groove to it that I've never heard on any other Sonic material.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Don't suppose Big City was ever played live at any early Sonic/Spectrum shows? I know that other his Recurring stuff (I've seen him do 'Set Me Free') has been done but was wondering....
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Don't want to be a pain, but as some other stuff has started to see the light of day in other threads, I was wondering if anyone had any info on the Hypnobeat question I posed a while ago:
Dreamweapon wrote:
On How The Blues... there's obviously the track Hypnobeat.

Did Sonic ever do any more stuff in the vein of this or particularly Big City? Just a thought...
and whether
Dreamweapon wrote:Don't suppose Big City was ever played live at any early Sonic/Spectrum shows? I know that other his Recurring stuff (I've seen him do 'Set Me Free') has been done but was wondering....
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

On the first question you may want to listen to some of E.A.R.'S 'Koner Experiment' which features a lot of beats and the like. It's a little industrial in places too. Not exactly the same but...

Listen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk3YEmGgWk0

Also... I saw most of the early Spectrum shows in London and have no recollection of Big City being played. Can't speak for the gigs elsewhere though but I'd doubt it.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Does anyone have a high quality version of How The Blues... they'd be willing to share?
I've just been listening to it for the first time in a while and it still totally floors me. Unfortunately i only have the 128kbps version and would love to hear it in better quality.

Thanks.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Just found this on YouTube
But You Suck
http://youtu.be/4kbgjpqGd0A

A track from How The Blues...

I really like it. Revolution in progress? Would love to know more about it if anyone can provide more details.
Heavy Tourism
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

plastic37 wrote:Just found this on YouTube
But You Suck
http://youtu.be/4kbgjpqGd0A

A track from How The Blues...

I really like it. Revolution in progress? Would love to know more about it if anyone can provide more details.
Nah, it dates from the "Recurring" era.

Sonic's notes from "How the Blues..."

"Another track from the Recurring period. This backing track was never finished and fell by the wayside as Spacemen 3 began to disintegrate. The guitars are mine, the drums & bass, Jonny & Will, our powerhouse rhythm section. The speech is my cue for the other band members."