WAR SUCKS

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

shalloboi
Known user

Re: WAR SUCKS

Post by shalloboi »

i just heard that mine has been mailed and should arrive this weekend. it sounds to me like a lot of them are still in the mail- he is also taking a $2 loss per record for those initial preordered copies that were only listed at $15 (like mine for example). i had offered to pay him the additional $5 and he said that would be appreciated, so i did.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

nice work shalloboi, that's good nooze...
Zanninger
New user

Post by Zanninger »

I got mail from mind expansion on sept. 8th that said my record is going to be shipped out now.
also mine was preorder for $ 15.
In the mail, nothing was said about $ 2 loss per record?!

more and more confused with that.... :?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i'll do the math.
Lp mailer is .80 cents
Record cost no idea but lets safely say $7(minimum)
Postage to anywhere in Europe $10.40
Grand total $18.20- $15.00 is actually a loss of $3.20 per record shipped overseas.
That doesn't include the sticker and cds thrown in.
He made a mistake by saying including p&p and not removing for overseas orders. His mistake, your gain.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Zanninger wrote: In the mail, nothing was said about $ 2 loss per record?!
it was just because i offered to pay the difference i think (since he's selling it for $20 now).
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

I've been sick and out of work all week so not sure the vinyl has arrived as I had it sent to that address.

I got in touch with Randall regarding the loss he's making and he said it cost him $11 to send it outside the US so I've paid the difference of $5 to him, completely voluntarily. He didn't ask for it and accepts it as his own mistake.

Normally I'd never do something like this but with a one-man show like Mind Expansion and the quality of the record (once I get my hands on it) I happy about doing it.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I shipped out a record to the UK a few weeks ago and was pretty freaked out to find that the increased rates left me with $11 in shipping, so Randall's not pulling anyone's chain. It's pretty ludicrous now, but I suppose with the exchange rate favoring the pound, it won't affect you guys importing records from the U.S. too badly.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Arrived yesterday.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Mine too, lovely product, worth the wait. :D
'Remember, change is not good'
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Was only able to pick this up today from work, great to finally get my hands on it. It looks fantastic.

Have only played it once and it sounds good. I like the two original songs, especially Razzle-Dazzle Mind.

I noticed there was a download coupon in both the vinyl and CD discs which is cool.

I tried both but neither worked. Set up an account with them (Dropcards) but this didn't work either so sent them an e-mail looking for some help.

Anyone else tried downloading them??
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Vinyl arrived today, tis a beautiful thing...
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

finally got ahold of this and LOVE IT! the best- seriously!
they have it in stock at permanent records (they are the best- they always stock what i'm after) so i couldn't resist buying it- i'm fairly certain that the copy i ordered got lost in the mail and i simply don't have the heart to ask randall to send me another one that will likely get lost as well. the chicago postal service is inexcusably bad so the less i use them the better.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

My download didn't work either.. :cry:
Poccya
New user

Post by Poccya »

I ordered 2 copies (one as a present), got three. Sent him a note and paid the difference and got another one the other day!! I guess it's non of our business if he's making a loss or not, it's just a brilliant, brilliant vinyl. The b side is just jaw dropping stuff. The extra copies I have will be going as presents like minded friends.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

One of the songs has got Rick Wrightish keyboards. :D
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

the vinyl's been here a while but listening to walking and falling now,loud, after a lucrative walk round the countryside.... fuggin brilliant. Still holding out for the album...
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Already There wrote:One of the songs has got Rick Wrightish keyboards. :D
Yeah, I noticed that too.

Could it be there's a significant similarity between those two, and their experimentation with analogue synths?

Don't want to get in an argument about RW's later keyboard efforts, but don't also necessarily fancy having to deal with working with Roger Waters in the 'Wall'/post-'Wall' period, from what I've read and heard.

As far as the 'War Sucks' EP goes, it's just great to hear some new progressive sounds and tunes...here's hoping the Wings of Mercury are aloft and flying our way 8)
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Could 'Wings Of Mercury' be a Sonic joke to match Kevin Shields 'We Have All The Time In The World'?

If so, they should form a drone-comedy double act.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think the price is a bit much for an EP but I want a copy.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

the cds are really cheap.
davew
Known user

Post by davew »

First post on the forum, so hello......

Really loving this new 12, Sonic is defo on form. Just to add some info about the digital download. I contacted the website about it and they said they hadn't been given the actual content so that's why the downloads don't work.......hopefully they'll sort that out at some point.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Welcome! Enjoy the forums!
It's really nice to see Sonic make music again,

Best,

M
Design.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

has someone now investigated what the digital download is about? really curious to know what it is.
davew
Known user

Post by davew »

The digital download is an mp3 copy of the vinyl. However it doesn't work as dropcards.com haven't been given the files. I'll admit as a buyer of the vinyl i really wanted the mp3s for my ipod so i illegally downloaded them........it was that or rip the vinyl and i'm waaay too lazy for that
maxrb
New user

Post by maxrb »

Hi, first post here, hello everybody.
Time to testify.
I'm returning to Spectrum music with great enthusiasm after years being apart (at some point after "Forever Alien" ).
I've been a fan since SP3 (i remember my surprise listening to Recurring in the music shop) but somehow I got tired, late Peter stuff was to electronic and avant-garde for me (on the other hand and Jason was not dreamy anymore).
But last week Sonic played Spectrum music (as a solo act) in my town and i decided to give it a go. And I loved it!.
It wasn't a perfect gig, bad sound on the venue, etc, but I could hear again all what I loved about SP3, beautiful music made with basic premises.
So I begun tracking the stuff i missed. First I listened to the Captain Memphis LP in Spotify (on order now) . I really like the sound. It's a very organic Spectrum album. SP3 covers are played with a Panther Burns edge.
And then I got War Sucks and I really dig it.
Sure, you can hear Playing with fire or Soul kiss similiraties here but I can't see that as a concession.
For me, originality it's not a value by itself. Thanks to SP3 I learnt to love old blues as Junior Kimbrough, who is my favorite bluesmen. Most of his stuff it's quite similar, same riffs but great music with soul (and sometimes not in tune!)
so I'm very gald with War Sucks. I hope he releases an LP soon.
Sorry for the long post.

Max
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

13 years since the last proper spectrum album..

as you know you haven´t missed a lot...
except for the fact that all of us eagerly waiting have become zen masters of patience..
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

"the cds are really cheap."

Mine cost £9.99 from Amazon which is not cheap! Only got it so I could rip the mp3 to my ipod as I already had the very pretty vinyl version.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

$6 here. Whats that 4 quid?
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

£4 is cheap. Anyway, enough of my bitching - it's nice to have some new music from Spectrum.