WAR SUCKS

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

ononist
Known user

Re: WAR SUCKS

Post by ononist »

Mine arrived - yay. But the CD is cracked and won't play all the way through - boo. Hope Mind Expansion will send me another.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

SpacemanRob wrote: Perfect drones and 17 minutes of blissed out listening!
you mean over 19 minutes.. :wink:

yes.. fucking excellent! :D
I had great expectations but they were surpassed.. spacemenesque feel but still sounding fresh! 8)
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

yep, i like it.....especially the instrumental last track. high expectations for the album.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Got mine yesterday and it sounds awesome ,back to the Spectrum sound I love ,
f8ck it ,is it heresay to say it sounds better than A&E? ... personal taste I suppose but its certainly hitting the spot for me.
mat1922
Known user

Post by mat1922 »

Yep, I agree. Like you say, all personal taste, but it has that pysch edge that J doesn't appear to want to go for anymore.

With War Sucks being a Red Crayola cover, had me thinking of the way the Transparent Radiation EP was two halves, one chilled out and then one heavy. This is a bit like that too, but here the heavy side is side A....

Highlight for me though is when Walking & Falling goes into Over & Over... gave me shivers that....
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

I am a strictly vinyl fan so holding out for it, do you get the download straight after ordering? I am having a nightmare getting onto the Mind Expansion site, my computer is slow as.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I really like it. The epic wall of noise in the title track is fantastic, Razzle Dazzle Mind reminds me of late-period SP3 which is never going to be a bad thing, and the softer tracks segue together really nicely and are a nice contrast to the first two fuzzy/noisy tracks. Something of "Let Me Down Gently" going on there, as others have pointed out. Really good release, no reason not to buy it if you like this sort of thing. When's the LP?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I just pre-ordered a vinyl copy from Mind Expansion. Supposed to ship on the 16th. I hope they don't get delayed, as I really want to hear this!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Anyone know if Mind Expansion shipped the vinyl on the 16th? I hope so. Haven't heard anything from them.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

*EXTRA*EXTRA*READ ALL ABOUT IT*

FLAMINGREV LIKES A NEW SPECTRUM RELEASE!!!

Quite a nice little EP. My favorite track is easily Razzle Dazzle, it rocks and begs to be turned up loud. Walking And Falling is nice, a respectful cover with a nice atmosphere. The title track is okay, probably my least favorite song on the CD but still pretty good.

Bought it new, with some apprehension. Wasn't too excited about it based on hearing it online, but I was pleasantly surprised. No new ground is broken here, but Sonic manages to return to what he does best without it feeling like a retreat.

Getting excited about a full length album now! Razzle Dazzle with vocals should be fucking great.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Yep looking forward to hearing Sonic tackle...'Give em the old.,,,,razzle dazzle....razzle dazzle em. I hear Jason is planning a cover of Knees Up Mother Brown for the next Spz too.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Are all UK residents getting this fairly easily? I've had it on order from Norman for weeks and not had anything. I can't believe it's them scewing up as they are too efficient for that.
Fede77
Known user

Post by Fede77 »

Dear all,

I’m writing you because sometimes my point of view is different from yours, but when you describe the reasons for why you like and album or an artist I start to think about it in different way and, in many times, I start to like it me too. I don’t know, sometimes you helped me to focused my attention in some aspects that I haven’t noticed yet.
The question is now: do you think that War Sucks is a good work?? I don’t know…
Before justify my idea I want to tell you that I listened the cover version by Youtube in the live in Pittsburgh that is fantastic version! I fallen in love with it: Sonic never change the accordian and sang very angry!! Ok, but I return to think about the EP…I don’t know…It’s not a good work….
I listened it more times and I love it, perhaps I like Sonic and his way of “no playing” his voice, ecc. but those 4 songs are nothing new…:
War sucks…another cover of Red Crayola…ok Sonic you like them…the cover is beautiful, but there so many different band in this world!
Razzle and Dazzle…it recalled me “Suicede”…to much
Walking & Falling..another cover and the music is the same of Let me down gently
Over & over…ok a good queue of the previous song….not a new song.

I need your suggestions to cancel this bad thoughts when I listen this EP…
I need a new album of Sonic with new songs as Jason does!!!

Fede77
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Still waiting on my vinyl copy of the EP. I emailed Mind Expansion. Hopefully they will respond.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

runcible wrote:Are all UK residents getting this fairly easily? I've had it on order from Norman for weeks and not had anything. I can't believe it's them scewing up as they are too efficient for that.
Do you mean the CD or LP?

I got my CD from the US months ago, I guess around the time when this thread started. However Randall Nieman (sp?) mentioned the vinyl itself (& free download, though he didn't mention what that would be) would not be on sale until the official release date, which I thought was around now.

I was going to pre-order via Norman originally as I thought it would be cheaper, but it ended up the other way round plus I got the disc early. However the lack of P&P + exchange rate probably explains the difference. I guess it costs a fair bit more to send 12" records safely over the pond.

Also initially after sending the money and waiting patiently, I had to chase several times, then having been assured the CD was already sent and being offered a replacement (which I graciously declined, just in case...), it took well over a month before I received it, and the postmark showed it had only taken a few days to get over here.

Thus it could be the timescales for supply lines over at Mind Expansion are not so watertight :wink: Nice folks to deal with though, in my experience.

Have you checked with Norman's themselves to see if they have stock yet?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Fede77...

I can't agree with your angle here. It's prime Spectrum/Sonic Boom. It's him with a band showing what great guitar music he can make. I've been yearning for him to make this sort of stuff again for years and I love the result.

No problem with a second Red Crayola cover. Why not? It sounds terrific. I don't see Suicide in Razzle and Dazzle - I suspect you just hear the wah-wah and think that. It's got more of a Little Doll feel and shows Pete's roots beautifully. The last 2 tracks mingle nicely and although they hark back to his PWF days they are so nicely done and they flow really well so I'm happy. I was uncertain when he played Walking and Falling with the Valentines last year but I really like it here. These 2 tracks also link to the Captain Memphis stuff (which I know you don't rate too much) and I like that.

All round this is a return to the style I always want him to play. One of the releases of the year for me.

I ordered both 12" and CD from Norman and haven't got either by the way....
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

It definitely feels like Pete is moving back and visiting the same territories that he's explored before. I too heard echos of Revolution and other PWF elements/melodies. Nothing on the EP feels drastically new or anything, but I really, really like it.

A good hunk of Spacemen 3 & Sonic's aesthetic is based on repetition, and it is hard to hold that against him. As anyone who regularly frequents this board knows, I'm pretty critical of Sonic for what I often see as laziness. But on this EP it feels like he's getting back on the saddle and doing what he does best.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

He hasn't done anything like this in about 15 years though. I was thinking he might never again so what a feeling it was when I heard he was putting a band together. He's working hard with this material and I can't wait for the album. You have to remember there's no record company money behind him so he's doing his own thing and effectively financing it himself.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I'm still waiting on the CD from Mind Expansion. I got the following email from Mind Expansion today:
hello; im sorry to announce that there has been a pressing error and it will take a few extra weeks for the spectrum vinyl to be corrected. the presser is now pressing up new copies and they will be shipped out to you as soon as they come in. we are so very sorry for the delay and we thank you for your patience on this ground breaking release. we dont want to sell you anything but the best product so we have asked the presser to do a better job. please stick with us and we promise to give you the very best. for all those who have pre-ordered this release you will be receiving a free extra for your inconvenience .

all the very best from mind expansion..

if you are unwilling to wait a few extra weeks we will gladly refund your cash.

again thanks for your patience.
This might explain the delay on the vinyl, but I'm waiting on the CD (sigh). Still, I'm sure its on the way....
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

olan wrote:I'm still waiting on the CD from Mind Expansion. I got the following email from Mind Expansion today:
hello; im sorry to announce that there has been a pressing error and it will take a few extra weeks for the spectrum vinyl to be corrected. the presser is now pressing up new copies and they will be shipped out to you as soon as they come in. we are so very sorry for the delay and we thank you for your patience on this ground breaking release. we dont want to sell you anything but the best product so we have asked the presser to do a better job. please stick with us and we promise to give you the very best. for all those who have pre-ordered this release you will be receiving a free extra for your inconvenience .

all the very best from mind expansion..

if you are unwilling to wait a few extra weeks we will gladly refund your cash.

again thanks for your patience.
This might explain the delay on the vinyl, but I'm waiting on the CD (sigh). Still, I'm sure its on the way....
Quoting myself quoting Mind Expansion.....(sigh)

CD arrived today, and I've already ordered the vinyl. I only buy vinyl for stuff I really rate highly as I have young kids and a VERY fragile and expensive turntable (bought pre-wife and pre-kids). My mate Chris, who is a Spectrum/EAR/Spacemen 3 novice describes this EP very well. He reckons that if you want to introduce a noob to Spectrum, this EP is a good place to start as it covers all the bases that Sonic plays from guitar blast to synth drone.

Have to say that the simplicity and clarity of the production really really help what is a very strong collection of songs IMHO. The "played live" without overdubs feel of the recording is just perfect.

Couple this release with the "Indian Giving" album and the live shows over the last 2 years and you really have to look forward to the new album. Any news on when it is due?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Paul (thewarmth):

I think you should have gotten your vinyl ? I just ordered 'WarSucks' on eBay, bought it from MindExpansionRecords (i think $9 bucks). However, my was cd format, I don't know if that makes a difference ?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I got the mass email indicating that the vinyl has been delayed due to a pressing problem, so I'm not expecting it for another month or so.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Now the Mind Expansion site says the vinyl will ship on July 16th, but I still haven't gotten mine. I emailed them and haven't received a response. I'm starting to get frustrated.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

TheWarmth wrote:Now the Mind Expansion site says the vinyl will ship on July 16th, but I still haven't gotten mine. I emailed them and haven't received a response. I'm starting to get frustrated.
I'm having similar problems with them can anybody shed any light on this?
'Remember, change is not good'
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

There WAS a problem with the pressing and some other circumstances within the label. Sit tight. They're on their way.

www.myspace.com/oldtoytrains
NickSignal
Known user

Post by NickSignal »

Sorry, late to the table with this.
I think it's a superb EP and I loved it on first hearing. It sounds like a Pete Kember record. That's a good thing! It's nice to hear the return to fast wah's and guitars and fingers crossed he'll hang onto that for the new album at least.
Can't quite understand the criticism on this thread. If you like Pete's sound and that of S3 then get stuck in! What's all that about him having a bad voice?!?!? Someone got sidetracked on the way to the Coldplay foum? :lol:
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

[quote="porkchop"]There WAS a problem with the pressing and some other circumstances within the label. Sit tight. They're on their way.

I understand there can be issues especially with vinyl but would appreciate an email or an update on the website just to keep everybody who has parted with their hard-earned up to speed.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Originally the vinyl was scheduled to ship on June 16th. I got an email on June 25th explaining that there would be a delay of a few weeks due to a pressing error. Then I noticed last week that the Mind Expansion website was updated indicating that the vinyl would ship on July 16th, but this obviously didn't happen because I still don't have mine in hand and it's nearly August. I emailed M.E. and never got a response.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

This was posted by Sonic last week......

Just a few lines to catch up on stuff . Of note since the last tour ended in the US ~:

Over the last 2 months I've been co-producing the new lp with MGMT in california & brooklyn , due out in 2009 .

May saw the release of Cheval Sombre's sleepy just -in-time-for-summer self titled lp on NY's Double Feature records , produced by myself & featuring Dean Wareham & Britta Phillips .

Also of note -the release of Dean & Britta's sublime soundtracking of 13 of Warhol's infamous 'screen-tests ' . Lou Reed ,Nico ,Edie Sedgwick ,Billy Name , Dennis Hopper & 8 others get brand new sound tracks to stunning effect . Included are a song co-written by myself (teenage lightning (and lonely highways) , and an instrumental reworking of 'if I should die' from the sonic boom / spectrum l.p. , and my remix of 'knives from Bavaria' from the sonic souvenirs e.p.

the only confirmed shows we have for the upcoming months revolve around Dockville festival in Hamburg mid August (w MGMT) , Tanned Tin festival in November in Spain & the December MBV curated All Tommorrows parties . More info on the shows as & when .

Discwise , the vinyl Spacemen 3 e.p. of 'these blues' et al is in the stores now on clear vinyl 12" with a spot varnished acid-tab sleeve .
The vinyl for War Sucks has been held up due to label illness & manufacturing problems . The cd's are set to dissapear fairly soon . fair warning . these Mind Expansion releases are'nt planned to be kept in print indefinately.

more info as & when ,
have a good summer
pete kember
x
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Label illness"? Meh. Would anyone be willing to provide me with a download link for the War Sucks EP? I'd at least like to listen to it. I don't want to pay for the cd when my money is already tied up in the vinyl.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Just got word today from Mind Expansion that they will be shipping vinyl next week! Woo-hoo!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Right from Mind Expansion HQ. Randall asked me to post.

To: lilmoxie
Date: Aug 4, 2009 9:06 PM
Subject: RE: Spectrum EP

finally the vinyl will be shipping out to all orders on the 12th. it took a while. ive been very sick here for the past few weeks.

it would be great if you could post up on the message board that ive been ill and in the hospital for the past few weeks and the vinyl will finally be sent out to all those who ordered on the 12th. all orders will receive a free cd of war sucks as well as a download card. the vinyl is printed on translucent red and green vinyl. both colors on the same wax. it is an absolutely beautiful pressing and is well worth the wait. you will never see anything like this out there. it took a few but mind expansion has set the bar with cool color vinyl pressings...
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Mind Expansion website now says vinyl will be despatched 21st August, all pre-orders will also receive CD version of single and a Unisex CD EP plus stickers. :D
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Anybody received their vinyl yet?
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

From Sonic via the Spectrum myspace:

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Cheval Sombre , Dean & Britta, Spacemen3 , MGMT & Sonic Boom News
Current mood: touched

Just a few lines to catch up on stuff Over the last few months I've been co-producing the new LP with MGMT in California & Brooklyn , due out in 2009 .

May saw the release of Cheval Sombre's sleepy just -in-time-for-summer self titled LP on NY's Double Feature records , produced by myself & featuring Dean Wareham & Britta Phillips . I’ll be joining Cheval Sombre at the Offest Festival on 5th September and an early evening show at the Union Chapel, N1 on the 6th

Also of note -the release of Dean & Britta's sublime soundtracking of 13 of Warhol's infamous 'screen-tests ' . Lou Reed ,Nico ,Edie Sedgwick ,Billy Name , Dennis Hopper & 8 others get brand new sound tracks to stunning effect . Included are a song co-written by myself (teenage lightning (and lonely highways) , and an instrumental reworking of 'if I should die' from the sonic boom / spectrum l.p. , and my remix of 'knives from Bavaria' from the sonic souvenirs e.p.

We recently played the Dockville festival in Hamburg (w MGMT) and have upcoming appearances at Tanned Tin festival in November in Spain , the December MBV curated All Tomorrow’s parties and a short Japan tour in October. More info on the shows as & when.

Discwise , the vinyl Spacemen 3 e.p. of 'These Blues' et al is in the stores now on clear vinyl 12" with a spot varnished acid-tab sleeve . The vinyl for War Sucks has been held up due to label illness & manufacturing problems, but now the coloured vinyl release is ready to go. The cd's are set to disappear fairly soon Fair warning, these Mind Expansion releases aren’t planned to be kept in print indefinitely.

More info as & when , where & if ……

PK
I think I feel it coming on
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

BVCP206 wrote:Anybody received their vinyl yet?
Still waiting for mine. If it was shipped on the 21st, I should have received it by now. Starting to get annoyed again.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

OK.
I just got off the phone w/Randall from Mind Expansion. The first pressing plant screwed up the vinyl. He had to have them repressed. Which has delayed things. All orders, domestic and international, should be sent out next week. And from what I am told it will be well worth the wait. And these are really limited. 500 LPs total.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Christ, this is by far the longest I've ever had to wait for a record. Have we not heard all that news before?

Zero marks for the non-communication.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

At this point, I will believe it when the record actually shows up. What happened to the ship date of Aug. 21st? Also, I'd like to know why all orders "should" be shipped out next week. Either they'll ship or they won't. I understand delays caused by illness and pressing problems, but I don't understand why they keep missing their own shipping deadlines now that the records are done and in their hands. On August 5th I was told they'd go out "next week." Then they said the 21st and that date flew by. Now we're looking at September and the only reason we know that is because Spzretent managed to get a hold of them on the phone.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I'm not apologizing for Randall but according to him this has been an utter nightmare. And as of yesterday the records were NOT in his hands. A large part of the problem. He expected them either today or Monday. If I hear more from him I will pass it on.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

2 things....1.how long did any of you wait for "How the Blues...." I recall it was almost a year..at $80 mind you for cdrs...was it worth the wait...absolutely.

2. Its an independent label being run from home. No mail room, no interns working for school credit, no fat man behind a desk who doesn't give a shit.....If there was a faster way to solve this "issue", it'd be done. I understand hard earned money has been sent for the record...but there is a lot more going on in the world to really worry about other than weather or not a record has been shipped.

for instance...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8227991.stm
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Porkchop, a simple e-mail would suffice.

The length of time you waited for 'How The Blues..' is irrelevant.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

What I was saying, is that it isn't new to have to wait for something for mail order from smaller bands/labels. Frustrating as it is.
Seeing that there has been messages passed on via the label, clearly it isn't a case of laziness and they're just as frustrated as those waiting. I was using "how the blues.." as an example...those who got it, remember how long it took...just a reminder.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

I understand where you're coming form Porkchop and Randall has been really prompt with deliveries before, the Fuxa Commits Suicide EP for example.

My point though is that another e-mail saying things had been delayed again would have been helpful. I'm patient enough to wait once I know the background with the delay. I've got more information through this board than from the Mind Expansion website. Others who don't frequent this site must be in the dark.

And with regard to your link to other more pressing world matters, I'd be more concerned that the Isrealis will be the first to press the nuke button. Once they've completed that wall dividing the West Bank in two. War Sucks indeed.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Current events aside:
I just left Randall's Mind Expansion HQ and saw all the gorgeous vinyl. All 500 of them! They will ship out in the next 2 days. More background on the vinyl snafu- the first place put the labels on backwards and were not willing to repress even though they screwed up. Randall would not let them just put labels over the wrong labels because they would ultimately come off. They pressing plant dicked him around for weeks until he just said I have gone to another vinyl pressing plant. Add an illness(hospital stay) into the mix and you have the eh hem.... perfect storm.

Its worth the wait. Anyone want a photo pm me. I dont know how to upload a photo here(thank your lucky stars for that).
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

you can also goto www.mindexpansionrecords.com and see a pic if you click the "news" section. Looks rad.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

yep. that pic doesn't really do the record justice imho. Its a beauty!
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

true...even by that though, it looks damn cool. :mrgreen:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

And they are already sold out! Distributors in the US and UK took most of what was left after the pre-sales.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I got an email asking for a shipping address confirmation today. Fingers crossed that my copy arrives next week! Now, when is the new Spectrum full-length coming out?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Totally up to one Mr. Sonic Boom.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

I found this today...good photo too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECTRUM-War-Sucks- ... 286.c0.m14
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

think we might be waiting a while for the lp
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Everyone get their copy of the 12"?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yes, I got mine and it's fantastic!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i think mine got lost in the shuffle- i never got any mailing address confirmation emails or anything like that.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

have you emailed mindexpansion?
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

spzretent wrote:have you emailed mindexpansion?
i just did. i suspect that the shipping cost wasn't included in the initial price i paid (i pre-ordered way back in mid-june).
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I just placed my order for the vinyl on September 1 and received the colored vinyl today along with the cd version, a sticker, and a cd by Unisex all for $20 including postage. I just checked mind expansion and it looks like you can still order the vinyl and/or cd using paypal . . .
I think I feel it coming on
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

He may have some left, but to my knowledge, they're all gone. Won't hurt to write and inquire though. And yeah, shipping wasn't included. So taking that in consideration...especially to overseas...shipping alone wasn't cheap. Got mine over the weekend...don't they look amazing?
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Still not had my vinyl.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

ononist wrote:Still not had my vinyl.
Me neither. :(

Anybody got an update?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Have you both emailed mind expansion?
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

mine neither - has anyone in the uk? am hoping this is down to postage..
nick
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Maybe Seetickets are distributing them? :roll:
Zanninger
New user

Post by Zanninger »

didn't arrive in Austria until now...hope this was sent by airmail and not something dead slooooow :?