Job lot lof Spacemen 3 on vinyl

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Shinesalight
Known user

Job lot lof Spacemen 3 on vinyl

Post by Shinesalight »

Ok, so I'm giving some serious thought to maxing my credit card and going crazy for a bid on this lot:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPACEMEN-3-vinyl- ... 3356f2e9a8

I've been trying to collect Spz vinyl on and off for a few years and have yet to give serious thought to the Spacemen 3 back catalogue on vinyl (I do have it all on CD and also own a PK signed copy of Recurring). This little auction, however, would give me an ideal opportunity to get a load of it at once....but at what price?

I was basing the bid I was going to make on this price guide (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kennethdrury/space-pg.htm) but obviously its a couple of years old and also you can't really take the bidding nature of e-bay into account.

Do any of you have any idea what would be a fair price for a collection of this sort? Also, is anyone else looking to bid on this too as I would hate to get into a bidding war with someone on the board?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Job lot lof Spacemen 3 on vinyl

Post by runcible »

Ads wrote:
I was basing the bid I was going to make on this price guide (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kennethdrury/space-pg.htm) but obviously its a couple of years old and also you can't really take the bidding nature of e-bay into account.
That price guide is miles out. Most of the quotes are way, way too low. £50 for a Big City/I Love You remix? The £300 someone asked for on Ebay is high but not far off in my opinion. £25 for Munster Vol 1? I'd buy 5 at that price if I found them.

Your point about Ebay is right though - once a bidding war starts the prices go mad. The price of this lot (£89 at the time of typing) is about right as far as I am concerned. There is only 1 Glass pressing here, the rest are reissues (including the Losing Touch LP - originals were on black). What colour vinyl is the Bomp Playing With Fire (black is the rarest)?

I tend to be dubious about job lots of stuff in general to be honest.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Is there a better on-line price guide you can recommend Runci? I haven't a bloody clue when it comes to Spz/Spacemen vinyl prices apart from what items went for in previous auctions on E-Bay. As for multiple auctions, the seller of these also has/had job lots for Spz, Sonic and EAR on vinyl.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I haven't seen one to be honest. I used to keep up with these things but some stuff has rocketed in value and others which sold for mid-price are still at that level. I've seen Transparent Radiation sell for around £90, but also for about £30 although that'd be unlikely nowadays.

Those Record Collector and Music Master price guides were always all over the place for bands like Spacemen 3. I remember one of the people who helped compile one of the them scouring the Runcible stall at a record fair for Spacemen prices and then came up with a load of completely different ones when the guide came out.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

runcible wrote:
Ads wrote:
That price guide is miles out. Most of the quotes are way, way too low. £50 for a Big City/I Love You remix? The £300 someone asked for on Ebay is high but not far off in my opinion. £25 for Munster Vol 1? I'd buy 5 at that price if I found them.

Your point about Ebay is right though - once a bidding war starts the prices go mad. The price of this lot (£89 at the time of typing) is about right as far as I am concerned. There is only 1 Glass pressing here, the rest are reissues (including the Losing Touch LP - originals were on black). What colour vinyl is the Bomp Playing With Fire (black is the rarest)?

I tend to be dubious about job lots of stuff in general to be honest.
£300 for the Big City remix?!! I've got that myself, unplayed for many a year. Surely it can't be worth over £100? Nice if it is though. I'll be selling mine (and more) if the job situation worsens.....pre-Xmas paycut plus more lay off threats for Jan '10. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Worth well over £100. Only 50 made - not the standard remix, the one with I Love You as the b-side rather than Drive. The ultimate Spacemen collectors piece if you don't include test pressings etc.

The Spectrum/Stereolab 7" is probably worth £1000 now.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

runcible wrote:
:oops:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

That load of Spacemen vinyl went for £195 in the end....at least £100 more than I would have been happy to spend really. The seller isn't doing too bad this week as they sold L&GWAFIS double vinyl for £187 and a few other Spz albums for over £100 yesterday. Think I'm going to have to find a cheaper hobby. I barely have enough spare cash to buy new release CD's without splashing out on my vinyl collection (especially as I don't even own a record player!).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

runcible wrote:Worth well over £100. Only 50 made - not the standard remix, the one with I Love You as the b-side rather than Drive. The ultimate Spacemen collectors piece if you don't include test pressings etc.

Ah, I have the one with Drive as the B-side = not so rare at all. :cry: